• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Forum
    Search
    Jump To:
    All Categories
    Hobby Chit Chat
    Non-Hobby Chat
    RC & Electrics
    Building Related
    For Sale/Wanted
    Website Related
    General Resources
    Page 1 of 117
    >>>
    46" RAF Crash Tender
    White it is then. As to it being on the centre line then that may be a little more obscure. It is all down to how the light is observed, its actual visible arc of light. Take a look at how many different positions the stern lights are on RNLI Tamar class lifeboats!! Time to turn in
    1 hour ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ikseno99 ( Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    97 Posts
    92 Likes
    Started
    1 month ago
    by MaggieM
    Latest
    1 hour ago
    by ikseno99
    Mixing throttle and rudder
    Thanks. I'll have a play with those Tx settings when I get the boat back on the water, hopefully next week. Currently in dry dock being re-painted. I think the expo setting for the throttle should be useful. While waiting for the paint to dry between coats, I have put together a mixer which, if I have it right, monitors the rudder demand and uses it to impose a maximum value on the throttle input to the ESC. As the turn gets sharper, the maximum throttle demand to the ESC is gradually reduced. That should stop me hitting a turn too quickly.
    2 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Graham93 ( Leading Seaman)
    RC & Electrics
    3 Posts
    2 Likes
    Started
    10 days ago
    by Graham93
    Latest
    2 hours ago
    by Graham93
    Hidden switches.
    Hi Doug, Thanks for that. Here are some close ups of the main mast of Cottesmore. The colour and positioning of the lights are from photos and drawings. I am going to have to rewrite my Arduino code for mine hunting mode. That is another mod I will eventually get around to doing. Martin.
    2 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Martin555 ( Lieutenant)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    15 Posts
    28 Likes
    Started
    2 days ago
    by Martin555
    Latest
    2 hours ago
    by Martin555
    Where are they?
    "Large buttership on itโ€™s way then Doug? " For Arctic / Antarctic duties only Pete. Bow reinforced with lasagnuminium for ice breaking ๐Ÿ˜‰ Damn global warming!๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    5 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    25 Posts
    38 Likes
    Started
    12 hours ago
    by glyn44
    Latest
    5 hours ago
    by RNinMunich
    two part epoxy resin
    All's well that .... Nerys ๐Ÿ‘
    6 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Building Related
    42 Posts
    46 Likes
    Started
    7 days ago
    by Nerys
    Latest
    6 hours ago
    by RNinMunich
    Magnetic motors
    Many a true word spoken in Jest!! And now to the next issue to natter about
    6 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ikseno99 ( Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    Non-Hobby Chat
    28 Posts
    21 Likes
    Started
    6 days ago
    by Martin555
    Latest
    6 hours ago
    by ikseno99
    Problem with Skysport 4 transmitter TV4F
    A cappuccino magnezzio, - a frothy cup of wide awakeness!
    7 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ jbkiwi ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    RC & Electrics
    20 Posts
    22 Likes
    Started
    2 days ago
    by JOHN
    Latest
    7 hours ago
    by jbkiwi
    Fishtailing
    Yep, they did. Thanks Ron๐Ÿ‘ I'll get 'em sorted this evening. The photos you should be able to put up yourself directly. Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    9 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    37 Posts
    37 Likes
    Started
    5 days ago
    by Ron
    Latest
    9 hours ago
    by RNinMunich
    motor rotation indication
    "....You could smooth the pulses with a capacitor to keep the voltage up - a bit or experimentation may be needed (1uf?)..." Just had a go at this with a Taycol Target on 7.2v - you get a noticeable brightness increase at .5uf - but noticeable isn't the same as useful! 1-2uf is better. 10uf is at the limit, because much more smooths the pulses out so much that the motor runs at fairly full power! I had guessed at 1-10uf earlier, but hadn't thought about what the armature would do with a constant high voltage... It would be more elegant to isolate the indicator circuit by latching the led and resetting as the power went through zero. Or detect revolutions directly with an optical interrupt. Or a frequency-to-voltage converter... but now we are talking about electronics as a hobby rather than model boats... ๐Ÿค•
    12 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง DodgyGeezer ( Midshipman)
    Building Related
    5 Posts
    4 Likes
    Started
    1 day ago
    by mturpin013
    Latest
    12 hours ago
    by DodgyGeezer
    EeZeBilts From Keil Kraft
    A fellow member of this site saved all the EeZeBilts from extinction by setting up a website - obtaining all the kits or drawings thereof , drawing parts and publishing them free to all. He has done a lot more including trying to save "Orphan" model boat plans in the way Outer Zone and Aerofred have done for model aircraft plans on the Old Boats site. In addition there are websites for Taycol Motors and Adamcraft besides the Vintage and Old boats section of RC groups On the EeZeBilt website is a challenge to produce what he has called EeZeBilt 50+'s being larger models built the same way. So far he has produced most of them ranging from a Steam Launch , PT Boat , a Sea Queen version. Life Boats , Fire Tender and his latest a Russian OSA missile boat. Model Boats magazine has published a few plans in a similar genre lately in A3 sized plans - and a few years ago the story of a build of two of his models featured in the magazine without any kind of acknowledgement. What I would like to do is issue a challenge to fellow members to have a go at designing a new 50+ version over the winter building season . I have been trying for a few years to finish the design of a Miami Crash Boat - SA version R9 which a friend purchased from the SAN many years ago. Determined now to have it finished before Christmas - and publish the plans in the new year. I am willing to help put the plans into usable format (jpg) using Corel Draw for anyone with only hand drawing facilities. Would be nice to see a few fishing boats - more tugs - Cabin Cruisers etc etc.
    12 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ redpmg ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    General Resources
    1 Post
    2 Likes
    Started
    12 hours ago
    by redpmg

No Replies Yet
    Martin Westquay's Piper Cub ;-)
    Hi Martin, most of us played with the Keil Kraft & Veron kits in our youth. The small kits fitted the pocket money slot very well - most succumbed early - have memories of Jetex units climbing away from your new model on their own - never to be found. Others succumbed to the force of a penny Ronden "Flash Bomb" lit on launch - spectacular. Then there were the larger kits - rubber powered built with fathers assistance - home carved propellers - which flew out of sight - also never to be seen again. One climbed out on a thermal until a dot in the sky - turned up on a farm 20 miles away unscathed - always had name and address/phone no on a small card on the models.....Later the usual ED Bee's , Allan Mercury 1.5's etc . Watched a 40" span Piper of mine trying to take off with a friends clapped out Bee - ran the length of the rugby field and lifted just in time to intercept the posts............ Have 90% of the flying scale model plans - always mean to build one but designing and making commercial kids kits on the Laser intervenes. So far Land Rover series 1 , Defender, Suzuki SJ410 , Generic Jeep, Willys 1946 Jeep, Pitts Special , Tiger Moth and Eurocopter - all made with 3mm MDF - either fully designed or heavily modified by myself.
    2 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ redpmg ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    For Sale/Wanted
    30 Posts
    11 Likes
    Started
    15 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Latest
    2 days ago
    by redpmg
    Waverly boilers
    Cut the funding for the "Royal" family - fund the Monarch only - not the hangers on. That should leave enough for Waverley's boilers ........... Cut MP expense allowances too..... i- they are overpaid anyway.
    2 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ redpmg ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    Non-Hobby Chat
    13 Posts
    18 Likes
    Started
    4 days ago
    by marky
    Latest
    2 days ago
    by redpmg
    Workshop
    Puffer is in the fitting out dock and HMS Bustler is on the slips ๐Ÿ‘
    3 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง marky ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    9 Posts
    18 Likes
    Started
    26 days ago
    by marky
    Latest
    3 days ago
    by marky
    futaba radio and receivers
    I also have been using Orange FASST Futaba RECs since they first came out and have never had an issue with range( far as you can see). Also the Corona R6FA, R8FA and the FRSky TFR6 7ch have been faultless as well. I've been using a Futaba 6EX with all of these since 2010 with no problems. Also been using a few FHSS radios for ground use (boats) with no problems either. There don't seem to be many 3CH FASST receivers but a 4 or 6CH FASST should work ok. A 6CH will work on 3,4,5,6,7,8CH RECs (you only run out of switches if you use a bigger one) Corona makes a R4FA but HK doesn't sell them now. plenty of Corona 6s and 8s around for about $ 25 US. I notice that the Futaba 3PK is discontinued so samc may want to look at a newer radio.
    6 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ jbkiwi ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    RC & Electrics
    6 Posts
    3 Likes
    Started
    8 days ago
    by samc
    Latest
    6 days ago
    by jbkiwi
    Sub dive system.
    If you go to utube and type in(rc submarine piston ballast) you will find lots of videos. Maybe you might find something that will be of interest to you. Martin.
    6 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Martin555 ( Lieutenant)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    23 Posts
    33 Likes
    Started
    9 days ago
    by Martin555
    Latest
    6 days ago
    by Martin555
    Pictures of American river boats...
    Hi all, a friend of a friend, hoping to raise a few bob for a dog rescue centre has several pictures in black and white of the lovely old American steam river boats with some descriptive paperwork. Is anyone interested in a donation in exchange for these? Cheers, Martin
    7 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Westquay ( Commander)
    General Resources
    1 Post
    0 Likes
    Started
    7 days ago
    by Westquay

No Replies Yet
    Boat retrieval
    Balloon tyres could be the answer there Nerys๐Ÿ˜Š
    7 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง marky ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    29 Posts
    36 Likes
    Started
    9 days ago
    by Martin555
    Latest
    7 days ago
    by marky
    Caldercraft Clyde Puffer Motor and Prop - Help Needed
    Looks like a standard 385 - its high torque - slow motor with 5 poles - just what you need for the slow scale speed of a puffer. Low current draw too - gives nice long run time. Prop normally 3 or 4 blade . Try starting with 35mm Graupner plastic - check motor for heating after a few minutes - gives you a bit of a pointer - you will have to experiment as Glynn Guest suggests - take a handful of props with you to the pond. Anywhere from 30 to 45 with different pitches. Could use a test tank outside otherwise - even a slow running motor pushes a large volume of water - the indoor test tank would tend to empty quite quickly. Better halves seem to get a bit twitchy about that. You can attach a fishing scale or similar and tether boat via it to any convenient tree etc. That will give a good indication of thrust produced - and you can quickly find out what the motor does heatwise.
    8 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ redpmg ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    RC & Electrics
    4 Posts
    2 Likes
    Started
    17 days ago
    by juskiddin
    Latest
    8 days ago
    by redpmg
    Motor reversing
    Hi again Peter, Here you can find the very latest rules and regs! Cheers, Doug https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/radio-spectrum-and-the-law/licence-exempt-radio-use/licence-exempt-devices/Radio-controlled-models
    8 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    RC & Electrics
    64 Posts
    98 Likes
    Started
    11 days ago
    by MouldBuilder
    Latest
    8 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Visiting European Model Boat Shows
    Genau Ian ๐Ÿ˜‰ TX in right hand, Bierkrug oder Weinglas in left hand! Model boater's heaven ๐Ÿ˜Š I'm usually sat on that right angled bend under the tree at the edge of the Biergarten. Prost!
    General Resources
    6 Posts
    4 Likes
    Started
    8 days ago
    by ikseno99
    Latest
    8 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Port/ starboard socks.
    That's extremely kind of you Nerys, thank you very much๐Ÿ˜Š A PM is on it's way to you shortly. If you have sound switched on on your 'device', PC or whatever, you should hear a SONAR Ping when it arrives. Thanks again, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Hobby Chit Chat
    9 Posts
    14 Likes
    Started
    9 days ago
    by KenThompson
    Latest
    8 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Direction Finder
    Looks good to me Ian ๐Ÿ‘ Like an ADF searching for a navigation beacon. DG is correct, it wouldn't continuously rotate on a civilian ship using RDF for navigation purposes. I.e. looking for a specific NDB (Non Directional Beacon). On a warship in the old days it might rotate if the set was being used as a Search receiver. Nowadays the antenna for such purposes does not rotate. Instead a fixed multi-element antenna is used and the detector receiver plots the progress of the RF wavefronts across the elements. Thus deducing where the signal came from. So I reckon your setup looks pretty convincing for an older model DF set Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    9 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Building Related
    13 Posts
    5 Likes
    Started
    9 days ago
    by Elsrickle
    Latest
    9 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Recognise this boat ?
    Heartily agree DG๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ All too often we see queries with very little corroborative info, pics etc. The info we need to be able to help we often have to extract bit by bit๐Ÿค”. Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    10 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    3 Posts
    5 Likes
    Started
    10 days ago
    by Tall Paul
    Latest
    10 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Need to change web site address of CLUB
    I know! I tested it first ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers, Tall-ish Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    10 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Website Related
    4 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    10 days ago
    by Tall Paul
    Latest
    10 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Pond Weed
    Thanks for posting about pond weed control. Biological Control .. best seems to be Grass Carp reported to eat the weeds, we are still investigating. Chemical Control... not allowed to use herbicide as our pond is linked to the River Itchen. However we do use Barley straw extract to control algae. Mechanical Control ... motorised cutters etc are far to expensive and you still have to rake up the cut weeds. In the end throwing a rake out or placed behind roots by guy in a boat and pulling it in is the best solution for us, so far. one in the boat, two each with a rake and barrow. we cut and collected barrow fulls. We continue to use Pond Dye (see biofix and dyofix.co.uk) other shading can be obtained by planting willow trees. Weighted black polythene sheets for 6 months at a time has been suggested as has solar powered fountain or air pumping air bubbles as this reduces infestations and oxygenates the water. Regards, Tall Paul.
    10 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Tall Paul ( Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    23 Posts
    13 Likes
    Started
    1 month ago
    by Tall Paul
    Latest
    10 days ago
    by Tall Paul
    Help identifying this model boat
    Hi Norm, being as how you're in the US and I'm in Oz I reckon it is not much use me recommending a local Oz sail-maker. From what I can gather from other fora (like that? My high school Latin does get some use) in the US a pretty good maker seems to be Carr Sails http://www.carrsails.com/ I am guessing that the cost of a set of sails for your yacht would be similar to those quoted for the Bearospace 'ANNIE'. $225 may sound like a lot but, from what I can gather, his sails are pretty well at the top of the pile. Check with a local sailing club, there are heaps of people around that make their own sails as well as lesser known sail-makers. The club may be able to point you in the right direction. Unashamed plug for the Bearospace range of boats - I have no financial interest. There is a lot of info in these blogs to assist in building and making parts for semi-scale sailers : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2990671-Bearospace-Sloop-EMMA https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2550991-Bearospace-schooner-Irene https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3294855-Bearospace-Schooner-Annie I hope this can help you. Cheers from Down Under, Terry
    11 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ terrymiff ( Able Seaman)
    General Resources
    9 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    14 days ago
    by ginkgo
    Latest
    11 days ago
    by terrymiff
    Propeller direction.
    "Trading in pork bellies futures began in 1961 on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) and allowed meat packers to hedge the volatile pig market." https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/porkbellies.asp Place your bets here Gents๐Ÿ˜‰ https://www.barchart.com/futures/quotes/PBY00/overview Pass the pork belly slices and black eye peas please๐Ÿ˜› Eggs and bacon anybody? ๐Ÿ˜‹
    11 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Building Related
    28 Posts
    32 Likes
    Started
    12 days ago
    by Martin555
    Latest
    11 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    What could this Hull be for?
    Picked up his kit same place as I did - fellow who made them was not intending to sell them - reluctant in fact . Mine is his 3rd attempt I believe - cant check now as he is no longer with us . Think his wife persuaded him to sell them. He was experimenting with molding hulls etc. Think the last one was the one he used for himself. We do some forming with 2mm Perspex - failure rate is about 10% no matter how careful you are so understand why he made a few. The hull is about 2 mm finished size - the superstructure a lot thinner and styrene - not certain but think the hull is ABS. Very few Breede kits around - not sure you can even get a hull anymore - and the plans are no longer available from RNLI.
    11 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ redpmg ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    Building Related
    33 Posts
    18 Likes
    Started
    3 months ago
    by jelley_baby
    Latest
    11 days ago
    by redpmg
    USCG Sprinkles in Action
    Hi Commodore, As already posted in response to your Media Gallery post- "Sorry Commodore (!) That won't work ๐Ÿค” You have to put the video up on YouTube first and then post the link here. Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž " You can't upload video here directly. This is to prevent the site server getting swamped with GBs / TBs of video data. Doug
    12 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Building Related
    2 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    12 days ago
    by Commodore-H
    Latest
    12 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    PS Waverley info...
    Thanks, Marky, I'll have a butcher's at the website when I start to finish the model. Cheers, Martin
    12 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Westquay ( Commander)
    Building Related
    10 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    12 days ago
    by Westquay
    Latest
    12 days ago
    by Westquay
    Page 1 of 117
    >>>

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info