Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 2 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (10)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Spektrum, new, useless...
Spektrum, new, useless...
(5113 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 592
19th Jun 2018 14:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42898

OK, when I say new, I mean never out of the box since it arrived a few years ago. Health issues, moving home, etc. mean it wasn't used till just recently.
A DX5e on fresh Duracells and an Orange Rx. Wouldn't bind.
Kind gent on another forum lent me his "known to work" Spektrum AR 610 Rx. Just tested that in the well published way and no difference. No flashing lights on TX., there never has been. Flashing Rx. lights, but no slowing or ceasing of flashing, so I have to assume the Tx. is no good straight out of the box. Too long ago since I bought it to claim on a warranty. Are these things known to be unreliable?
Is there anything I can do with it? Like one of those module thingies I've heard of?
Any views gratefully received.

Cheers,
Martin

jtdavid
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 56
19th Jun 2018 17:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42904

hi martin,
please don't think I am being funny😡, but have you tried putting the plugs in the opposite way round, I still some times put the plugs in the wrong way round,the silver bits you can see I think should be facing down from the battery connection and so on. I cant believe it wont work,I have had a dx6i and never had any problems only what I have said above. there is a answer some where 👍

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jun 2018 18:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42905

jtdavid,
I wondered about the bind plug, but it apparently doesn't matter and the battery plug has the red wire uppermost. I didn't put any servo plugs in as they're all in the shed.

The Tx., however, has no flashing lights, when it should have.
I'm hoping Al's Models might be helpful, but of course, costs being what they are, it probably won't be worth sending away.
I do hate things to be wasted and this is absolutely never used, even if I bought it 7 years ago nearly.

Realistically, I am most unlikely to ever have model aircraft now and that's why I bought a multi-channel set.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2076
19th Jun 2018 19:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42906

Evenin' Martin,
What does "uppermost" mean ??
The negative (black) of the battery lead should be towards the edge of the RX. The red positive is always in the middle however you put the plug in.
The Bind plug is only a short circuit between the negative and signal pins. It should ONLY EVER be put into the socket labelled "Bind/VCC".
The battery you can put in any other socket, Black towards the edge of the RX case.
NOTE: In the DX5e manual there is a warning about Binding and connection problems when the TX is very close to the RX, less than 4 feet, and/or if there are metal objects close to either TX or RX. The latter can cause reflections of the TX signal to be interpreted as interference or 'noise' and prevent connection.
The RX looks for a series of uncorrupted signal packets to be able to Bind, and subsequently 'connect' to it's own TX.
Binding simply 'teaches' the RX the GUID (Global Unique IDentification) of 'it's own' TX.
Try the binding out in the garden (take a brolly with you as required 😁) away from metal objects and walls etc.
With TX and RX at least 6 feet apart.
Good luck, cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jun 2018 19:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42907

Doug, I have read of the close proximity problems and stood tother side of workshop, but there are lots of metal thins around, not least a 1/6th scale Vincent in brass and a steel drawer cabinet. The table has steel legs and there's a lathe next to the bench, so maybe the garden calleth. We have a glass table on a bamboo frame on which Chris pots plants, so that should be OK. Failing that there's the lawn. Worth a punt, I suppose. Uppermost, to me is towards the bit of the case with the writing on it and on the Spektrum Rx. I was lent, the face where the plugs go down onto the pins. Since the Spektrum Rx. has the pins facing uppards, I simply moved the Orange position through 90 degrees. It really would be sensible if they'd mould + and _ into the case where the pins are. Anyway, it didn't go bang. Didn't do anything, but sit and flash quickly.....except the TX. which should flash, didn't , at any time on any test, so I reckon it's the Tx. which is at fault. When my FlySky arrives I'll be able to check the Rxs. I now have coming against that.
I'll give Al's Models a call tomorrow. It was too late today.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jun 2018 21:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42910

Sorry Capn, but 'uppermost still doesn't have any meaning 😲
Left, centre, right does! = Signal, Positive, Negative.
I also have some AR610s, see attached pic.
Printing shows clearly (if tiny🤔) ∏ ,+,- at the bottom of the printed label.
The bottom socket (as in my pic) is the Bind/Dat (Data) socket where the binding plug should go. The battery in any other socket.
The red wire from the battery should ALWAYS be on the MIDDLE pin, whether uppermost, downermost, on it's side or 'avin a kip in my Aunt Fanny's garden😉😁
The FlySky / Turnigy RXs use the same convention. They indicate the Signal pin with an S !! Surprise😉
I also have an Orange RX (with stabiliser for my PBY Catalina).
It follows the same convention, see pic 2.
The S for signal is moulded into the case at the bottom of the LH column of pins. Bottom socket is marked Batt/Bind for the Bind plug.
Would help speed things up if you posted a pic or two of what you have, and how you are connecting up!
Final thought! Are you switching on RX and TX in the right order?
RX first AFTER inserting the Bind plug, TX second AFTER holding the Trainer switch ON.
Cheers, Doug 😎
PS: just stripped out my PTB, incl shafts, tubes and rudder stocks, all I got left is wood an' glue 😲

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Rookysailor
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 85
19th Jun 2018 23:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42915

Agree with you Doug, I have a DX4 for my drone, a DX 5e, DX6i and the latest DX6, which talks to you to tell you when you have bound the tx and rx, they all have the same plug system with a bind socket, even the orange receivers bind without a problem.
Martin, just follow Doug's instructions for binding your DX5e, I am sure you will have success👍

Good binding...😊 Peter

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jun 2018 23:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42916

Wow! a real 'DX Maniac' 😉😁
My DX6 is quite chatty too, nice seductive voice though 😁
Haven't tried it with the Orange RX yet, but it's DSM2 so it should work.
It bound to my Turnigy i6 (re-branded as REELY here in Germany by Conrad) no problem at all. Cheers, Doug 😎

Rookysailor
(Lieutenant)

20th Jun 2018 00:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42917

Yeah, very seductive especially when she says (warning - throttle high)....😋.Have you seen the lemon receiver for DSM2 Doug, bought one of Ebay for £14 inc p&p, excellent, even comes with a satellite connected to the receiver, same way to bind.😁
Cheers Peter😉

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jun 2018 00:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42918

Doug,
if you have an Orange Rx. like mine, the bit where the plugs go is on the end face, so when you tip the battery wire on its side to plug in, the red wire is indeed uppermost, the black wire, bottommost. The Spektrum Rx. has the plug bit in the top face, so the uppermost, red lead goes through a right angle and goes downwards, but yes, in the middle. I made sure of the polarity first, but that bit you mentioned meant nothing to me, just symbols. I didn't want to trust them if I didn't understand them. The bind plug did indeed go in the slot marked bind. On the Orange Rx. it says BIND/BATT. I didn't plug any servos in as it isn't necessary and I didn't have them to hand without fishing them out of the restricted space in my Vanity model.
I have now watched so many you-tubes and read so many instructions that I can assure you I got the order right. Bind plug has never been out of the Orange Rx, except to assure myself of good contact. Battery pack plugged into AUX> socket, flashing yellow light, Tx. tother side of workshop, pull on trainer switch and turn on power. Beedlyboop noise, light on right hand side of array, but NO flashing on Tx. Hold trainer switch till will to live starts to ebb, give up.

The Spektrum you show, Doug is the same, albeit with different aerials, but the guy assures me it bound to his DX5e before he sent it to me for the trial. Your Orange however is very different from mine. Mine, as I said, has the pins poking out the end and the writing where your pins are. Yes, it has an S in the case, which I read meant signal, not that I knew what that was. It is a much smaller box than yours. Now you can see why I spoke of uppermost as my battery cable has to go on its side to plug into my Orange and in that position the red wire is indeed, uppermost. If you see the normal position for the Rx. to be flat on it's back with the pretty stuff on top.
So, what else can it be?
I will try what you suggested about the metal free garden, tomorrow and after that we will have to wait till the Fly Sky arrives, estimated E.T.A., early next month.

Your PTB looks very bare. Had you always intended to strip the tubes and rudders too?
Now, you have to paint the insides a nice neutral colour, like Spitfire Cockpit green, which is also Jaguar cockpit green, but Maseratis were silvery grey. Don't ask how I know...long story

Cheers,
Martin

FloatingVoter
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 4
21st Jun 2018 21:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42973

There's probably a spring loaded toggle switch on the top left of the transmitter (might be marked 'Aux') - for binding this needs to be held up while turning on the transmitter - you might be doing this but no mention of it so far. The Orange receivers are cheap copies of the actual Spektrum receivers - some are cheaper than others and some work better and some don't work at all.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Jun 2018 22:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42978

Hi FV,
The switch used for binding on the DX5e is the Trainer switch! Not AUX.
Martin has reported extensively on the use of the Trainer switch!

Orange RXs are not just "cheap copies" of Spektrum.
In my experience they not only 'understand' Spektrum DSM2 but also AFHDS from Turnigy / FlySky etc etc.
Thus not 'cheap copies' but inexpensive, intelligent and versatile alternatives. So far I have not had one that doesn't work with either my Turnigy i6 or my Spektrum DX6. Greetings, Doug

FloatingVoter
(Seaman)

22nd Jun 2018 01:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42984

"The switch used for binding on the DX5e is the Trainer switch! Not AUX." - I'm sure you are correct -sorry, that was from memory - I don't have a DX5 in front of me. I must have missed the reference in the thread to the Trainer switch being activated while the transmitter is being turned on - my apologies for that.

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 484
22nd Jun 2018 01:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42985

ok I have to ask what may be a stupid question but ask it I shall. Are you putting the bind plug into the bind socket and power into a servo point? Because if you are not then it will NEVER bind!

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jun 2018 09:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42986

No sweat FV 👍 Nobody's perfect 😉
Ciao, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jun 2018 13:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42987

Haverlock, worth asking any question, even the "stupid" ones, but yes I did have the bind plug in the BIND hole and the power in a servo hole.
FV, no sweat, thanks for the interest, as to everyone else. The Spektrum Rx. that a member of another forum sent me to try didn't work either, so it looks like my Tx. is kaput. Sod's Law, innit, that the expensive bit is the duffer.

I'll give it one last chance with the other Rx. I have coming. If not, Al's Hobbies could be the answer if they don't want too much for a look at it.

Meanwhile, I'll be cleaning up and working on the Crash Tender.

Cheers,
Martin

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jun 2018 13:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42988

Rather than repeating testing with RX(s) since 2 are doing the same a third probably will give same results. You need to find some one else with a TX if you can near enough that they can test yours. If your getting no lights on your TX another stupid question your sure you are putting the TX batteries in the correct way? Usually these pieces of kit are pretty reliable so a none worker makes me suspect " finger trouble" of one kind or another.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jun 2018 14:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42990

Haverlock,
I may not know much about electrics, but I do know about battery connections and as it happens, when I used rechargeables, one set fitted and one didn't. There was a tiny difference in diameters, enough to make one set fit and the other not. But the Duracells fitted a treat, but still no flashing from the lights, just a fixed one on the right hand end.
Believe me I'd love it to work, but it looks like it is duff.

Martin

Edited to say:- Nobody locally to ask as there are no model boat clubs within a sensible distance and the aircraft mob would now all be on 18 channel computers. Wouldn't know anything about a 7 year old non pootah!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jun 2018 15:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42994

I agree Haverlock,
One definitely, potentially, possible final thought😁
Martin; Did you pull the bind plug out BEFORE you switched off the RX?
If the green light at the RH end of the LEDs on the TX was lit it MIGHT mean the RX was bound OK. Can happen so quick you may not have noticed! Esp. if the better half popped her head round the door to offer another cuppa at the vital moment😉
JFF stick a servo in the RX and try it. You may get a pleasant surprise. If you don't - nothing lost. If you do - have fun with it.
Good luck. Doug 😎
PS Re PTB; when I started I thought it would just be a Cosmetic job; clean up flat back and respray in Pacific green camouflage. Ho ho ho!
After I got started I found some curiosities in the construction and that the prop tubes and rudder stocks were misaligned. Never mind the ESC that burst into flames when I tried an 'as bought' test. So from then on it was clear that I had a full rebuild / reno. on my hands. "Hey ho hey ho it's off to work we go"!😉 All old paint now off, chine rails repaired / replaced and first coats of resin and tissue strengthening applied. Might get to the priming tomorrow or Sunday.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jun 2018 16:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42995

I did try it at one point with the bind plug out and with the servos in the yacht. No joy. And the flashing yellow light in the Rxs never stops flashing quickly. As for the TX., is it green? I have big trouble telling which colour they are. I thought they were yellow, but I was told they're green, must be very light bright ones, with red on the left. I assume these are in the office of a voltmeter. Anyway, no flashing, ever from the Tx. and no end to the flashing on the Rxs, both Orange and proven to work Spektrum AR 610. Pick the bullets outta that lot.

I'm sorting out the shed and finding stuff I didn't know was lost.
Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jun 2018 16:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42996

That settles it, TX U/S - write a Requisition form (in triplicate) for a new one😉 Know what you mean about 'stuff'. Usually happens to me when I'm looking for something else, or just bought a replacement for something I thought was gone 😡 Happy sorting, if you don't show up for a day or two we'll send a search party😁 Ciao, Doug 😎

Rookysailor
(Lieutenant)

22nd Jun 2018 22:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43005

Martin, Have just tried my DX5e, when switched on the 4th led or extreme right lights up, to show full battery charge, the other lights are to show battery condition, (no flashing lights).
I put a bind plug into socket one (batt/bind)orange receiver then a 4.8v battery into socket 2, receiver flashes slow red, switch tx on while holding lever forward on left rear of tx marked TRAINER, hold forward lever whilst switching on tx, wait till receiver stays solid colour. (Tx does not flash led.)
Switch off tx, unplug bind plug, put a servo into socket 1 marked THROT and battery into socket (battery/bind), switch on tx and wiggle the left stick horizontal if in mode one...should now be bound...hopefully for you Martin👍
Cheers Peter😁

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jun 2018 23:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43009

Hi peter, well there's maybe hope for my Tx. yet, although my instructions mention flashing lights on the Tx. which will stop flashing when binding is done, but what I can't claim is that the orange flashing lights in the Rxs ever stop rapid flashing, so binding doesn't occur. My Orange Rx. has an orange flashing light...yours is red?
Not working with the borrowed Spektrum Rx. is something that makes me think it's still the Tx. that's duff, but when the next £7 Rx, arrives, I'll try that!

Cheers,
Martin

FloatingVoter
(Seaman)

23rd Jun 2018 00:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43010

I used to sell Spektrum radios so I had my share of "I've tried everything and it won't bind". When binding one Spektrum product to another I found fitting new batteries all round and going through the correct bind sequence invariably sorted things out. As a Spektrum dealer I found myself otherwise occupied and unable to sort out problems with Orange receivers.

I suspect the early DX5E's were DSM2 - check to see if your DX5E has DSMX written on it somewhere - if not I don't think it will bind to a AR610 which (from memory) is DSMX only.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jun 2018 01:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43013

You're dead right FV 👍
Just checked the DX5e manual I downloaded and it's DSM2 ONLY.😲
My DX6 bonded to the AR610 easily cos both are DSMX.
So Martin: what you need are AR500 DSM2 RXs!!!
BUT: all Orange RXs I have seen so far are DSM2 compatible, usually printed on the top! So where does that get us??
Cheers, Doug😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jun 2018 12:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43015

Gents, my DX5e has DSMX splashed across the front and says on the first pages that it's compatible with DSM2 as well and the Orange Rx's are also compatible. FV, what's your comment on the flashing (or not) Tx lights? Mine don't. But the book says they're supposed to.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jun 2018 13:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43016

Ar'ternoon Martin, Sorry but I don't see it!
Nowhere is DMX 'splashed' on the TX or mentioned in the manual or Quick Start Guide (downloaded from Spektrum last week)!? Only DSM2. Neither do I see Orange receivers mentioned anywhere!?
So what TX DO you have? Is there a date or issue number in the back of your manual? As mentioned before, a photo or two would help enormously and save a host of Posts back and forth.
I hate unsolved mysteries 😲
Cheers, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jun 2018 14:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43017

OK, after further research via HorizonHobby and Spektrum found it! There are some later (?) versions of the DX5e with DSMX & DSM2. (Now discontinued!) Default is DSMX, which would probably account for your TX not binding to an Orange DSM2 RX. For that you may need to switch the TX to DSM2 mode as described on page 6 of the manual.
For the AR610 RX, check the printing on it if it says DSMX or DSM2 and set the TX mode accordingly!! Hope we are getting to the bottom of this slowly 😉 Now back to fibre-glassing my PTB 😲Good luck Martin.👍
Ciao, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jun 2018 14:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43018

Hi Rooky, just noticed your reference to Lemon RXs, new 'Flavour of the Month' ? 😲 Must do some research, thanks for the tip 👍
Cheers, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jun 2018 15:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43019

Doug, it's just a DX5e with DSM and big red X on the extreme right of the label panel and the first pages go into why there is bugger all difference between DSM2 and DSMX, none of which makes any sense to me. I would assume, before you go changing from one to tother, you have to know the Tx is working first. I don't yet. And the Orange Rxs are reviewed all over youtube and another forum which says they are reliably DSM2 and DSMX compatible, almost like they expected trouble down the line. The guy who sent me the AR 610 Rx had bound it to his DX5e on DSMX before sending it to me and he sent it with a bind plug for me to, I assume, re-bind...but it didn't. All youtubes watched and forum posts read about binding Orange OR for that matter the newer Lemon Rxs. are exactly the same process as for a Spektrum Rx. I have only recently picked up on the Lemon being a flavour of the month, like the Orange was.
As for changing from one "DSM>>>" to another, I didn't follow it, but as I said I assume you have to know the Tx is working before you fiddle with stuff and I don't, for sure and I'd rather not fiddle and risk making it worse.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jun 2018 22:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43029

Evenin' Martin, I give up!
If the loaner RX was DSMX and you hadn't inadvertently changed anything 'out of the box' then the TX is duff 🤔
If it's any consolation I now have a similar snag 😭
Just tried to bind my Orange RX/Flight Stabiliser (see pic above) to my Spektrum DX6 and it failed 😡
Researching on the Spektrum site I finally found in the small print (teeny weeny print) - "DSM2 not available in the EU" ---> Oh brown stuff!
Looked at the Lemon RX specs and they do a DSMX version, Orange don't --> Oh cobblers awls!! Anyone want a 6ch DSM2 RX with stabiliser ?? Going cheep cheep! C'est la vie 😲 Bon nuit mes amis, Doug 😎

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 362
24th Jun 2018 08:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43041

post up a pic of the orange rx, lets see what version it is. EG, I have a DX8i which will work with both dsm2 and dsmx, I bought it for this very reason, so I can use both.

You keep saying that the tx needs to be found to be faulty or not, but as Doug says, if you don't have it in the correct format to match the receiver, its never going to work. Spektrum are reliable, so I doubt the tx is faulty

BInd plug in receiver
power source to receiver, orange light flashes quick (make sure its 6v, if you are using less it might not work, so think about this, I use a 4 aa pack to test things like this, last night doing exactly the same could not get a bind, the 4 aa's had dropped to 5.5v, change the batts, 6v all worked)
hold tile trainer switch, turn on tx at same time
keep hold of switch, wait a minute or so, light on rx goes steady.

TX neds to match the rx, dsm2 or dsmx

sorry if I'm repealing things, failing hat go to local rc boat, or plane club, and ask someone to second face what you are doing

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 10:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43044

Doug, the loaner was bound to the guy's DX5e in DSMX, but I will keep saying for pmdevlin's sake that both Orange Receiver and my Tx. says compatible with both protocols, but the Spektrum loaner wouldn't bind.
I bought a 6 volt Rx battery pack especially for this and it's giving just over 6Volts. I bought 4 new Duracells for the TX. (all said above), so all is well on the volts front. The Orange in fact is OK for 3.7-9.4 volts it says. I did all you suggest , but no flashing lights on TX and no end OR change to the frequency of, flashing lights on Rx, either of them.

Doug, isn't your stabiliser Orange Rx. also compatible with both?
When did orange go single protocol, I wonder.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 10:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43050

Martin, I bought both the DX6 and the Orange RX/Flight Stabiliser (tip from pmdevlin for the Catalina👍) in the firm belief that both were dual format.
After the sad discovery yesterday I ransacked the Web for all manuals / guides I could find, no mention of DSMX anywhere for the Orange gizmo, and then the Spektrum small print for my DX6. 😡
Ho hum, what the Germans call 'Learning money' (Lerngeld).

There are other Orange RXs which specify both formats - but none with the stabiliser 😭 So now I'll try the Lemon (and hope that it isn't!)
That was the only reason I bought the damn thing in the first place. Got enough DSMX RXs from Spektrum, the AR610s. Bought a batch of six for a decent discount 😊
BTW: my AR610s run great on a 4.8V NiMh pack👍
No binding problems at all. I bound all 6 RXs in one go as soon as I got my stickies on them. 😉

tidtug
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 111
24th Jun 2018 11:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43054

Wow with all that I don’t think I will be buying a spektrum?

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 11:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43055

Hi tt, Spektrum is actually very well made good reliable kit.
Just check the specs and small print veeery carefully before you fork out the hard earned shekels! 👍

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 29
24th Jun 2018 17:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43065

I've been using Spektrum now for 10 years, never a minuets problem, granted I only use the budget "orange" receivers on my boats but remember your transmitters protocol HAS to be dsmX and NOT just dsm2 otherwise you may experience binding problems.
I am using spektrum to fly my 1/4 scale piper J3 cub and its faultless but I always use matching spektrum receivers in planes, not because I don't trust the orange just because when you've got over £1000 worth of plane in the sky it's worth having the added security.
Martin are you sure your dx5s protocol is dsmX?.
Norman.

There is no dark side of the moon really
Matter of fact......it's all dark.
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 19:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43071

Right, he says in a John Cleese accent, a la Fawlty Towers, here's the damned Tx. Box first, then the real thing, cropped only to save you from my fizzog and belly.
Please note....DSM X, splashed, as I said earlier, across the front of the label panel AND the box itself, no less, from which the Tx . has still only been drawn 4 times.

Martin

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

24th Jun 2018 20:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43082

Sorry Marin, that tx is undoubtably dsmX👌, so with that in mind I think your next step would be to.............count out aloud to three, then if your transmitter has still not bound with your receiver............beat the living daylights out of them both with a big stick😁.
Seriously Martin I can't understand why you've had no success, all the forgoing advice has been spot on and correct.
I did purchase an orange receiver recently off eBay that refused to bind, I simply returned it,at a cost of one pound postage and received a replacement the next day which worked fine.

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

24th Jun 2018 21:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43083

One more thing Martin, not sure it's been mentioned previously, your transmitter must be in the off position before you flick the trainer switch with your index finger top left of your transmitter.
So.........receiver on, (rapid flashing led in receiver)
Then with your index finger flick and hold you trainer switch on your transmitter then turn power on your transmitter, all lights on the front will flash and your receiver led should then go to solid.
Bind complete, remove bind plug from receiver off you go.
Norman.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 21:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43092

No Norman, I'm afraid not. Tx. off, trainer switch held forward and power switched on, but NO FLASHING LIGHTS! Except on the Rx., Orange or Spektrum which both flash ad nauseum . It ain't doin' wot it's sposed ter! One solid light on the right end of the row on the TX. while the Rxs. just keep on flickering.

10 feet away, in the garden near no metal or shields of any kind. Not sure how I can make this any clearer. If the TX. is supposed to flash, it AIN'T!

Cheers,
Martin

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 21:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43094

About now I would be considering introducing the TX to a lump hammer!! Mine has a 1Kg head and tends to have permanent effects on anything I hit with it! Follow that up with jumping up and down on the bits. There comes a point when no matter what the cause its just not worth the effort.

Accept defeat and regroup then take a different path. Find something second hand that you can see working or have a chance to test before you buy.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 21:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43095

Norman, I can take an 8 quid Rx. not working, but a brand new, unused Tx. for 50 quid with p&p, gone duff, annoys me. If I try Al's hobbies for a look they'll charge that just to open the damned box. That pisses me off even more! But what really gets my goat is that Phil Greeno where I bought it is no longer around and even if he was, so many slagged him, off I would never have got anywhere anyway. There's so little in these things you have to wonder how they can go wrong with NO use.

Cheers,
Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 21:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43096

Haverlock, I did that, effectively with my printer, which after working well suddenly wasn't talked to by the computer, so I took it out and smashed it to pieces, after carefully removing the plate glass platten to glue wet'n'dry to. But I'd had use out of it. I smashed a leased printing system for old skool graphics at my last job, because the repair man was late. We were 2 floors up, he had to pick the bits up of the tarmac below, but we'd done a lot of prints with it. This apparent, over-rated pile of junk has never done owt, but beedlyboop and one light.

How I wish I could afford a grand for a Jeti Duplex, one of the most beautiful pieces of industrial design I have ever seen this side of a Coventry Climax cam cover.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 22:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43103

Evenin' Martin.
Don't smash it, although I can well understand the impulse!
Send it to me, you know where I am. I like a challenge😉
I'll refund you the postage.
Cheers, Doug 😎
PS: Martin, unfortunately there are some things that NEED use to keep them working!
In electronics this means particularly the electrolytic capacitors, those marked + and - on the leads. Of which there will be several in the TX. Just switching it on now and again prevents deterioration of these components. If left alone for years they can go 'soft' and prevent whole circuits from working. Fact of electronic life I'm afarid.

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

24th Jun 2018 22:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43104

So it's deffo' your tx that has a problem, I would be tempted, as you've nothing to lose (no guarantee now), to remove the back and take a look at your trainer switch, sounds like it's just that switch is possibly inoperative, try replacing it perhaps, I think it's simply an on off switch switching different circuits on your board.
I'll remove the back from my old dx5 tomorrow Martin and take a look inside.
Let you know in the morning Martin.
Norman

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 22:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43105

if your totally wedded to your orange receiver you could look at a taranis transmitter and an optional module. Once you get the method of the taranis system if works great and is flexable to the "nth" degree. Oh and the transmitter uses a " wall wart" to charge the internal battery.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 22:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43106

Aaaah! Jeti Duplex, luvly stuf, if you want to fly a 1/10 A380 with full Fly By Wire Auto Pilot, Black Box engine and flight data Sensing Recording and Telemetry feedback!
But for a rudder and a sail winch!?😲
'A grand'? Only ones I've seen lately are 1 1/2 to 2 grand 🤔
Still, one has to have dreams 👍😉
Keep doin' the Pools! Ciao, Doug 😎

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 23:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43109

At the risk of sounding as though I work for the company the Taranis also has telemetry. One can monitor battery voltage in the model via the transmitter. There are a load of other options including variometer and airspeed.

https://www.t9hobbysport.com/rc-gear/frsky-smart-port-sensor...

However on the downside I do have to say its not the simplest beast to master since its so flexible you have to set EVERYTHING up. From the get go you have to decide which function is on which stick and where it is in the sequence to the receiver. Then things get complicated.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2018 00:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43114

Doug, I may well take you up on that, mate. I would really like to get it going.
Could you PM me your postal address?
The Jeti I first saw was the 14 channel and that was £845 for the TX and £70 something for the RX. but I was only interested in the Tx. I wanted to frame it and put it on my wall! Czechs are SO clever and the women are stunning. The new 18 channel is about £1400, but they aren't anywhere near the dearest, even if they are the best.

Haverlock, you can sing the Taranis praises all you like but anything that needs a PC to fiddle with it to get anywhere is the last thing I would pay good money for. I am a great deal more impressed by aesthetics in engineering, than complication. If I wanted to know what the batteries were doing I'd bring the boat in for a look. It would add some interest to what is essentially a rather tedious pursuit (which is why I have a preference, still theoretical, for sail). Believe me, I would never "get" the Taranis or anything like it, in a month of Sundays. I'm just not interested in all that techy stuff.

Norman, I'd appreciate any input if you fancy digging around in yours. I wouldn't know what to look at. I didn't when it was soft valves and 90Volt Ever-Ready batteries and I don't now. I might have had Radio Control Models and Electronics Magazine from No 1, but none of it made the slightest sense and my Dad, (who paid for the subscription) never had the time to read it. I couldn't tell you the difference twixt a Super-regen and a superhet, a tone or a reed set. My old chum still has a working ED reed 8 channel set, but when flying, he has to constantly retune something with a plastic screwdriver, WHILST FLYING!!!
And how did anyone ever do full aerobatics with single channel bang-bang escapement rudder onlies?

Cheers,
Martin

johnstanyon
(Apprentice)

Forum Posts: 1
25th Jun 2018 00:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43115

Ok. Spectrum binding. 1.put bind plug into pins marked battery ,bind. 2 plug battery into either throttle or elevator pins 3 ensure batteryplug is inserted with white or orange wire is nearest to main body of the reciever. Ensure tx is switched off.4 hold switch on top of tx in on position.5 switch on tx and wait approx 30 Seconds .if it is orange receiver it should now show a steady light. 6 remove bind plug..( Check batteries are installed correctly in tx.) It's surprising how many times.folks put them in wrongly..

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2018 00:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43116

Well to each his own and I cannot argue with your position!

As to aerobatics with a single channel escapement the only thing I ever managed ( other than a LOT of crashes ) was a loop you hold on rudder until you have a spiral dive then allow it to centre the speed plus the stable nature of the airframe meant it zoomed and went over the top. Ahh the happy days of ether fuel castor oil and winding he rubber band for the escapement. Yes I am that old! With " quick blip" and if you could afford a throttle equipped motor it was possible to add a sequential throttle full- mid-low-mid-full if you were seriously keen you could use an elmic compact and have kick up elevator as well. All of this on a single button.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2018 04:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43117

Martin; You'll get on much better with the FlySky, which one is it by the way?
All the Jetis I saw on their site are 24 ch these days, about 1500 to 1995 (🤔) quid 😲 Reckon you could use one to fly an A380 to Jo'berg 😁
Haverlock: I warned you that Martin is a Luddite 😉
Ciao, Doug 😎

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

25th Jun 2018 10:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43124

Good morning all, Martin I've just removed the back from my dx5e and as I thought the switch in question is just a dead simple on/off switch.
If it is indeed faulty it will not enable your tx to go into bind mode, so to eliminate it from the equation ( I've just done this with mine) and all was well.
Remove your six small Philip head screws to open your tx, you won't have to separate the two halves completely just enough to gain access to the offending switch.
Now you should see one brown wire and one red wire going to the switch, with a small piece of wire just breach the two together
making a temporary by pass to the switch then turn your tx to ON, at this point all your lights (one red and four green) hopefully will illuminate and the buzer will be a different tone (or as Brasil would say " listen you stupid people it's one decibel higher ".
Hopefully this will work and you are in business all you need to do is replace the switch because you've proved it's faulty (not Basil).
Fingers X Martin.
Norman.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2018 11:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43125

John, thanks, but that's what I did all along and no luck with either Rx.
Doug, I hope I will do better with the FlySky jobbie when it turns up. It's an FS-GT2B . Whatever all that means.
Haverlock, I used to go up to Shenfield Common and watch one guy do miracles with both his Orbit 10 channel full house stunt plane and his tiny bright orange single chaneller, with McGregor RC and a TeeDee 049 up front.
Norman, bear with me...if I bridge the contacts with a bit of wire, what happens at the point when they all tell you to let go of the toggle? It won't effectively, have been let go of, as the bit of wire will still be there. That, I'm afraid, is the limit of my electrical understanding!
As ever, thanks for your help everyone.

Martin

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

25th Jun 2018 11:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43126

Martin its only to prove that your tx is all working and it's just the switch that isn't working, if when you bridge the switch terminals and your tx goes into bind mode, assuming your receiver is ON and adjacent to you, both will bind together and you can remove your temp bridge but DONT turn your tx off until you've removed your bind plug from your receiver. Then you can turn everything off and on as much as you like because the binding process is complete.
Now if this works and I hope it does you will need to replace that switch otherwise you'll have to do this all again if for any reason you lose bind, which can happen from time to time, although most of my models have been bound for years and never lost bind tx to rx.
Norman

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2018 12:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43127

IFound out today via bmfa that horizon hobbies who looked after spectrum warranties and repairs are back in uk with darbrorc who are just outside stoke on Trent. Maybe they can get the tx tested and fixed?
Several years ago I had a couple of frysky tx and they needed to be set up on a pc don’t know if this is still the case?

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 261
25th Jun 2018 14:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43129

Having followed this from the start i have learnt a whole new language and still wouldn't know one end of an RX from another if it fell from heaven onto my lap ,but I come to praise Caesar (a little bit of Shakespeare) the amount of time and effort trying to solve this problem is incredible. Gentlemen I take my hat off to you and await with baited breath for the solution .(could this be the reason all my boats so far are static). Cheers Marky

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2018 15:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43130

Aha! "Lend me your ears" 😲
So contrary to Marc Antony you 'came to praise Caesar, NOT to bury him' 👍😁 Cheers Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2018 17:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43137

A horse, a horse, my Kingdom for a bloody nag that don't need binding to it's rider!

Norman, I think I get your point, thanks again. I could try it I suppose. Am currently a bit sticky after epoxying my Crash tender everywhere.

Marky, they are a remarkable bunch here, true enough.

PMD, I understood Spektrum was mended by Al's Hobbies, but they would charge me at least as much for just looking at it than I paid for it. Yes, Frysky do need a pootah to set up! God forfend. And who sets the pootah up? Bit like Lois and Superman..."Don't worry I got you..."Yeah? and who's got you?"

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2018 18:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43139

"Withdraw, my lord; I'll help you to a horse."
😁😎

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2018 18:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43140

Nope they do not need a puter to set them up all of the functions of a taranis can be setup from its own front screen. However software updates etc. can be done via the dreadful machine. There is a set of software one can use to check your setups. If you want an example of REAL complexity have a look at the pixhawk flight controller. To just touch a couple of its functions it gives " fly by wire" and is capable of flying a rout using satnav.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2018 18:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43141

I KNEW it! 😁 A380 to Jo'berg here we come 😉

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2018 18:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43143

to give you some idea have a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6HZGKW-g-E&list=PLtq3QQX-sC...

They are using an older ( more primitive) version to autonomously control a glider to fly around 20 miles across water.

tidtug
(Commander)

25th Jun 2018 18:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43144

Amen to all that ha ha👍

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2018 21:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43148

using off the shelf components some one has built a model boat that is crossing the Atlantic.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3016592/a-student-built-autonomo...

Think about this the next time the bloody thing refuses to do what you want ( a common occurrence among modellers )

kevinsharpe
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 14
26th Jun 2018 07:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43153

Hi
Don't know wether you solved this yet. I recently tried to bond my Dx8 to a receiver and failed. Reason my receiver battery too low. When charged bound first time. Clearly rx power is critical
Regards
Kevin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jun 2018 12:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43157

Thanks, Kevin, but I'd considered that and made sure it was a fully charged Rx. pack (new) and Tx. is also new Duracells for maximum voltage.

Martin

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jun 2018 21:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43194

OK before you introduce the TX to a BIG hammer just an idea which will take only a few min to try. It is possible that since its not been used for quite a while the switches contacts may have become oxidised so remove the batteries and switch it on and off AGRESSIVLY several times then do the same with the bind switch. It will probably do no good but will cost only a little time.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jun 2018 21:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43195

It's a long shot Haverlock, but it just might work! 👍

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jun 2018 23:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43198

I'll try it, Haverlock. I'll try everything once.

I should be receiving the new receiver this week. Something else to try.

Martin

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 339
26th Jun 2018 23:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43199

In view of the age of the Tx has corrosion of terminals or wiring been considered. So called "black wire " corrosion can creep under insulation and cause breaks. I would open the case and check continuity of wires and everything else I could and clean the terminals. Could be that simple.Maybe spot of switch cleaner or just WD40 on switches and contacts. OR all over. It worked for my two Futaba T6 x's One of which is the 5oth Rip Max anniversary one. They had been in a nice dry ,clean garage, for 8 yrs, but there was still a little corrosion present on the terminals I have yet to test the Rx's and servo's as a few days after obtaining the models I became unable to get int my workshop.I was given such a lot by this lovely widow and her lovely .daughter. They wanted nothing for all the kit and models they gave me and I felt very guilty as I had only taken a tenner with me.Mum wanted them just to a good home and wanted nothing for them. End result she said she would put the cash to a charity of her choice.There was so much stuff and models and unused kitsI could barely close the back of the car. Oh yes there was a boat amongst them. That lives in the house on it's display stand. It is a customs launch made from a plastic kit by all appearances nicely finished in Royal blue and white. Small brushed motor with two 7.4 Nimh batteries packs.One in either bilge for balance. In contrast all the electrics in this "Futaba,"3 Channel, were clean and all worked perfectly. A bit odd but the Tx was kept in it's box so maybe that made the difference? Sorry to hi-jack the thread but it was to illustrate the point about potential corrosion. Oops a pun😁 Apols mods😊

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Jun 2018 00:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43201

Yes John, can happen but only at the battery terminal connections , if the batteries are left in and the unit not used for a long time.
If that was the case here Martin wouldn't even get the one green light he sees. As I understand it until now the TX never came out of the box and never had batteries in it. Cheers, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Jun 2018 00:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43202

Well as said several times above, until I started this thread, I had never taken the Tx. out of the box. I was astonished to find that I had got it in 2011!. In the ensuing time I have decided against aircraft, had a heart attack, stent fitted and a small stroke-like thing, moved house, changed cars 4 times, ceterah, ceterah. Life, simply put.
The battery contacts, as with anything else, I can see on it are like new, unlike me. I know! Maybe it's that stent they put in. I heard the surgeon ask for a BMW rod, to put in my arm, so that dastardly Doug is something to do with it.

I'll try it on the new Rx. when it comes and then if it still doesn't flash and do what it should I will take our chum in Munchen up on his kind offer and I'll pay the postage!

Oh dear, time for another night's lousy sleep. Goodnight all,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Jun 2018 00:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43208

Not guilty! True a had a BMW 520 when I first came here 32 years ago, scrapped it after 10 years and 150000km.
Been driving Toyota for about 12 years now "Nothing's impossible" 😁
Await developments with interest. Cheers Doug 😎
Thinks; maybe the doc was asking for a Bio Mechanical Widget! 😁😁

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Jun 2018 17:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43275

As reported elsewhere, I have today received the FlySky RC set and it works...perfectly.....straight outa the box as it's PRE-BOUND! And my dear bride has let me have it before my birthday. Although I still have to wait for the Crash Tender Yeoman fittings kit!
I would like to use something old in the Crash Tender as it is old itself, so I guess I'd better have a look at your circuit diagrams Doug,as far as suppression and even ESCs are concerned. I have found 3 ESCs today. One I knew of and 2, WITH their instruction in best Chenglish that I had no memory of! Water -cooled too! I'll send you a photo of them.

Cheers,
Martin

tidtug
(Commander)

28th Jun 2018 19:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43277

Well done and pre bound that a top class selling point I think for others to follow .👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Jun 2018 20:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43279

Hi tt, I think you'll find that all Combo sets are pre-bound 👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Jun 2018 20:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43280

Hi Martin, what make an' model are the ESCs?
Don't think you'll need the cooling with your Taycols 😉
Which one do you intend to use in the CT by the way?
Cheers, Doug 😎
PS: I see that the Management (aka 'er indoors!) is still keeping at least one thumbscrew on 😁 (Wish I could stick a highly appropriate Smiley in here 🤔)
Just sanded my fingerprints off on the PTB. Right time for a bank job? 😁

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jul 2018 12:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43465

Hi Doug, sorry, missed this one. I have the Taycol Supermarine for the CT. I have a Simprop 18 Amp Brushed ESC and a couple of big uns with cooling which I will photograph and attach to another post.

I have just received the new Rx. It's a Storm S603, but it has plugoles that I am not familiar with. At one end it says PPM, then Batt, Aux, Gear,Rudd,Elev,Aile and Thro, with the bind socket sideways under the throttle end and something else with a wee gold pad next to the bind plug socket. But at the other end of the case there is a port marked STAT. So PPM and Stat are new to me. I had a gander on Youtube, but no explanation. Naturally being Chinese there are no instructions.
Anything I should bear in mind before I try binding it to the DX5e?

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jul 2018 13:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43466

Hi Martin,
You do like living dangerously don't you!? 😉
Why don't you ever buy anything from the same manufacturer to be sure it will work, or have the chance of regress if it don't!
Anyway, since you've been an' gorn an' dunnit -
Ignore the PPM, that just means Pulse Position Modulation.
A type of TX modulation waveform that you don't need for the Spektrum TX. Forget the Stat as well. I suspect that that should be SAT for a Satellite RX. No that don't mean you can watch telly on it😉 It's just a connection for a secondary RX. Never ever seen one in action!

The others are the usual aircraft / chopper functions in a particular TX Mode, so you can ignore the labels. We can use the channel outputs for whatever we want in a boat. Attached is a description of the binding I found in an RC flight forum. A little bit Chenglish but clear enough I think.

Your Simprop 18A job should be more than man enough for your Supermarine. I don't expect that it will eat more than 10 or 12Amps.
Put a 15A fuse in the + supply between motor and the mod board that makes it run ahead & astern; i.e. the + output of the bridge rectifier. That will protect the motor coil and brushes.
Put another in the + from battery to ESC to protect the ESC and rectifier. Rectifier should be rated at least 20A peak forward current. 30A might be better in case your Supermarine is hungry!
In that case use 20A fuses.
10A was enough for my little Target 😉

See attached pic for the mods to the Supermarine.
Connections from the rectifier board to motor are-
+ and - of the rectifier go to the brush terminals.
Of the two ~ (= AC) one goes the field coil.
The other goes to the - wire from the ESC.
+ from the ESC goes to the other end of the field coil.
If the motor runs wrong way (with respect to throttle stick) just reverse the brush wires as usual. Don't forget the suppression capacitors, you may not need 'em due to the spark suppression by the rectifier but ... JIC😉
Bon chance mon ami 👍
Cheers,Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jul 2018 14:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43471

Thanks, Doug, I haven't a scoobie what you're on about in the description, but will ask when I get closer. I have to make the Bridge thingie yet. Do you have a link to that, so I can attempt to buy the bits, although Maplin have gone napoo, so I don't know where I can get lecktrick parts from now.

I buy what I do because I can't afford to pay out forthe stuff with the same name. If FlySky or Turanis had existed when I bought the (apparently useless) Spektrum I'd have bought that and stuck with it, but ordered this Storm thing weeks ago when the whole non binding Spektrum/Orange thing first came up. I thought I would try an alternative Rx, risking little money. The Storm arrived today. Haven't tried to bind it yet. If it won't bind to the Spektrum, I'll bind the bugger to the Flysky and just use these 6 channel things in 2 channel boats.
If the Spektrum really is duff, I might get a FlySky Tx. only and see if these will bind to it.
Coincidentally, I have just taken pics of the ESCs for you and here they are.

Cheers,
Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jul 2018 15:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43475

Well, I tried to bind the new Storm Rx to both the DX5e and the new (and proven) Flysky and it won't bind either. So now I have 2 cheap (but proven by others as reliable) 6 channel Rxs, which don't work, DX5e which seems faulty and a Flysky that works well with its own Rx. to which it was pre bound at the factory.

I will stick to FlySky in future.
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jul 2018 16:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43479

Hi Martin, don't bother trying to make a bridge rectifier. That's fraught with possible pitfalls for novice and the individual hi current diodes are usually more expensive, and normally only sold in packs or rolls of dozens or even hundreds and thousands!🤔
Use a ready made bridge like I did😉, see attached pic of my test board for the Target.
This one from RS will do nicely
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7514424/
It's also the cheapest, £7.47 with free delivery, and smallest pack I could find, 5 pieces. Which gives you a few for your other Taycols as well 😊

Another advantage is that the bridge package has the +, - and ~ symbols marked on the case so you know immediately what to connect where, as per my previous mail.
If you build a bridge with single diodes I'll have to tell you how to identify each end, where it goes, and where the inputs and outputs are 😲

Re ESCs; I take it the little red one is the Simprop??
Looks about the thumbnail size of the midget thing that blew up in my PTB. 😡 See 2nd pic 😲
The one with the heat sink on top looks more robust and trustworthy.
I'd be tempted to use that. Any Maker / Model ID on it?

Your experience with the Storm RX just underlines my recommendation to use A with A and not A with X!😉

First off I'D say take your Spektrum TX to the UK Service man mentioned somewhere above and get him to check it out and show you the binding.
If you are then still determined to smash it send it to me instead! I might be able to salvage something useful from it 😁
Have fun😁 Cheers, Doug 😎
PS: Another FlySky TX!?
Your 'economising' is beginning to get expensive 😭

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jul 2018 17:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43481

I'll have to get in touch with RS then. Thanks. I'd much rather buy electrics than make!

All these aftermarket Rxs claim they are compatible with other companys' Txs and hundreds of thousands appear to be just that.

I'm still pretty sure that DX5e is duff. I read on an American forum they're calling them Wreckums, so I ain't the only one. And I ain't paying their prices for an Rx either when the Orange and the Storm are, effectively clones thereof. I was surprised to find the things wouldn't bind to the FlySky, but then the manual for that is crap and doesn't cover binding to any other Rx, even though it's headed "other Txs. and Rxs. So, the Rx thing has cost me 15 quid in all. The 50 quid I paid for the TX is what pisses me off big time. I take it there's no reason why the Flysky shouldn't bind to the Storm and Orange is there?

If I did send you the DX5e would you have a look at it for me? I'd rather pay you than someone over here I never heard of..

Cheers,
Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jul 2018 17:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43482

Bridge rectifier ordered from RS.
I shan't be doing any more RC buying, btw., although by the time I finish another boat I might spring for another one like I just got, pre bound, 20 quid, then between them I can put and take between the boats.
Plus my old 27 meg stuff of course, which I haven't even tried yet.

What DO you do with a 3rd channel?

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jul 2018 17:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43483

Hi Martin,
First your last question😉
"What DO you do with a 3rd channel?"
Example: 5 foot destroyer!
1 Throttle.
2 Rudder
3 Gun rotation, servo and pulleys
4 Torpedo tube rotation, servo and pulleys
5 Smoke switch, servo and microswitch (Smoke could be linked to the ESC to free this channel for the ASDIC pinger!)
6 Split into four functions (by misusing the gear down lever on my Graupner MC-10😉) for
Whoop whoop, Fog horn, searchlights and signal lights, NAV lights.
All switched via a home brew decoder / switch board and 5V relays!
Alles klar? 😉

Re the DX5e; If I were you I'd let a (supposedly?) Spektum trained guy look at it first. With luck he'll have a service manual or at least a circuit diagram, which I don't 🤔 and should know the binding procedure backwards.
I could only do some rudimentary tests without the circuit diagram, and make some educated guesses.
I could at least try binding it with a variety of Rxs, including my Spektrun RXs which all work faultlessly with my DX6. Up to you, will PM my address anyway. I could at least check, with a simple RF meter, if the damn thing is transmitting at all!
Just thought - if you're going to smash it anyway ........ 😉😁
Cheers, Doug 😎
PS: 4th attempt at the prop shaft for the cutter also failed 😡
She just does not want to get her bum wet!! Too long 'on the shelf' 🤔

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jul 2018 18:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43485

Ah, OK. I am so anti military, I can't even think of all that stuff, although I am very anti-working features on models. I find them a bit nafferoony on the whole. Go, stop, left, right, that's me. I ain't even bothered about backuds. Goes with my free sailing/IC/early electric background I suppose. Lights only needed at night and I wouldn't be sailing in the dark. Smoke looks like some old geezer having a fag under the deck.....I know you'll argue. Anyway, for my sort of model, a third channel is a waste. And as it's a switch, I couldn't even use it as a jib hallyard.

I'll try ringing the service bloke if I can find him. We'll see what he wants to charge, but with postage it'll be silly probably.
If you'd like me to do you a shaft, let me know. I have loads of 3mm silver steel for my old American slot car restorations. Gimme a length between extremes and I'll do you one.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jul 2018 19:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43489

Each to his own Martin, 👍
The functions I listed can also be easily translated to the merchant marine etc; cranes, davits, NAV radars etc. But I know you'll never build anything like that. A chaque un a son goût! 😉
I just like to try a few different types of ships!
And of course for me half the fun is getting the function to work in the first place 😁 BTW: I also started as a 'Free sailor' but always had ambitions which the pocket money then couldn't support!

Many many thanks for your offer to make a shaft which I'll gladly take you up on👍 My normally inexhaustible patience is exhausted 😡
Total length required is 10cm, thread length 1.5cm please.
That gives me room for the thread reducer and a lock nut.
Now I can concentrate on the mount for the Target to get the height correct for the gears I need to use to get down to the very low mounted shaft.
Good luck with the service guy, if all else fails I'll gladly have a look for you - no promises though! Will PM you now.
Cheers, Doug 😎
PS: think I'll stick to machining brass only in future😉

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jul 2018 19:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43492

Martin, I forgot to mention😲 Thread pitch 0.6 if you can. if not 0.5.
Let me know then I can tap the reducer to suit!
Thanks again, Doug

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Jul 2018 09:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43499

Hi Doug,
I'll see to that later today and try to get it off to you on Monday.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Jul 2018 09:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43502

Mornin' Martin, that would be great😊 Many thanks 👍
No absolute panic cos I can use one of the duff ones for aligning the gears, so don't break ya neck😉
Cheers, Doug 😎

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Jul 2018 10:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43509

to late now but for the future if you need stuff like bridge recs or anything else electronic have a look on EBAY way cheaper than RS
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675...

As to extra channels on my African Queen in addition to forwards and back plus left and right I have steam whistle engine sound and speed ( its all electric with a fake steam engine and boiler) and steam engine start stop.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jul 2018 10:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43533

Haverlock, I wouldn't have a scooby doo what to look for or order, so if the lecktrickmeister gives me a link and it's affordable, I jump on it.
But thanks for the info.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 12:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43879

Hi Martin, looks like I found your snag!
Simpler than I had feared, looks like an assembly fault so it could never ever have bound! So much for Final Product Testing !!
It's not the Trainer switch that's at fault, although Stormin Norman was on the right track! 👍 The wires from the Trainer switch to the main board were trapped under one of the case screws and damaged 🤔
See pics.
Now to feed my rumblin' tum 😲 then set about repairs.
More later. Cheers, Doug

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 434
19th Jul 2018 14:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43883

Hi Doug,

What ever happened to QC?
Good thing you were able to trace this problem!
Now did that short do anything to any component?

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 14:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43884

Hi Ed,
Wouldn't have happened on my watch when I ran a production test department for Rank Telcomm😉 back in the 70s!
Don't know yet if it caused further damage. I doubt it as one of the wires was severed so it couldn't send any current anywhere. If it were shorted it would just be stuck in Trainer mode (I hope!)
Just quieted my rumblin' tum 😜 so about to effect repairs, more later.
Cheers for now, Doug

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 15:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43885

Well now .. er.. How do I .. er.. explain this? 😲
I just put your TX back together, wired up the RX.
Switched on the RX --> Rapid flashing as usual.
Held on the Trainer switch, switched on the TX and
Sharp crack, puff of magic smoke 😡--> RIP TX 😲
Seriously tho folks 😁
RX bound first try. All 4 stick channels work fine. 😊
My test rig only has 4 mini servos mounted.
Will post video evidence shortly!
Mystery solved 😊 Next please 😁
Cheers, Doug 😎

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 16:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43888

awwwwwwwwwww I liked the escape of magic smoke more than a " it worked" outcome!! Seriously bloody good job.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 16:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43893

Thanks Haverlock.
Couldn't resist a little bit of 'chain pulling' 😁😁

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 16:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43896

Hi Martin,
Stage Two.
Just bound your Orange RX to the Spektrum TX first try.
Woiks poyfeckly!! (Pardon the Brooklyn accent Ed!😁)
So both your RXs are now bound to the TX Martin.
DON'T TOUCH THE TRAINER SWITCH WHEN YOU GET 'EM BACK!!!!
And ALWAYS switch on the TX first, RX second 👍

What do we learn from all this?
The cure is always quicker to find when you have the 'patient' under your nose! On the OP table so to speak. Remote diagnosis is fraught with pitfalls.
All's well .... 😊
Next patient please 😉
Just poured me a glass of Bardolino Chiaretto to celebrate 😋
(Well, the sun's ALWAYS 'Over the Yardarm' SOMEWHERE!😁)
Cheers All 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 16:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43897

Doug, you are my hero. I am so pleased you found the fault and as you said in the e-mail, Stormin Norman wasn't so far off. Trouble is , with a 5 channel set on the beg, I am now thinking again about model airyplanes! I found most bits of a Skystreak 32" that I made about 4 years ago, still in good nick and begging for a brushless motor. Failing that a flying wing I have plans for. Doh!

Cheers,
Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 17:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43899

You know, my son bought a bottle of Bardolino with him to the boatyard when we lived afloat. And it was gorgeous if I recall, especially with some Gentleman's Relish and Rochefort on French bread. We preferred it to Barosso.
Enjoy, you clever man, enjoy.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 17:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43901

I agree Martin, Barosso can be a little on the 'heavy' side.
Aaaah! Gentlemen's Relish 😋😋
When did I last see that, let alone taste it 😭

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 17:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43903

Apropos 'Hairyplanes'
Use an In Runner if you go brushless for a plane.
Generally smaller and lighter than outrunners, easier to mount, and you don't need the high torque of outrunners like we do to get a heavy boat moving in the wet stuff 👍
I have a styrene 'Flying Wing/Boat' in the cellar I haven't had the guts to try out yet! 😲

Wasn't rocket science to fix your TX, fault jumped out and bit me when I opened the case! Main thing; it won't now be wasted. 😎

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 17:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43906

sorry but most flying crash test models use outrunners. The lack of torque of an inrunner means you have to use a very small diameter prop ( I am generalising ) so unless your going for an all out speed model use an outrunner.

http://lmmac.net/i-c-to-electric-conversion-table/

As you can see an outrunner is shown as the representative motor.

https://www.cmfhobbies.com/IC-Engine-to-Electric-motor-conve...

Again generally out runners.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 17:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43907

Interesting! Up to now I'd only seen the contrary.
One lives and learns, thanks 👍

BTW: then what is an In Runner good for???

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 17:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43908

Hi Martin,
Just For Fun: I just tried your TX with my Orange RX with stabiliser.
It works perfectly, so you ain't gettin' your TX back 😁😁😁

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 434
19th Jul 2018 18:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43912

Just tell um,😜 It got lost in the mail!😲 Just kidding!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 19:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43914

in runners get used in the model car crowd other than that they are used in FAST boats. As with most things its a trade off in runners lower torque but more revs ( for any given wattage ) match the prop to the motor and your going faster with an in runner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4hU7Rv7X2w

one example!

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 19:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43915

and yet another in runner in a boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e69u7VKQP8

on 8 cells!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 20:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43916

Don't see where it says that but WTH!
Each to his own! 😉
http://rcadvisor.com/inrunner-vs-outrunner-motors
I 'sit' corrected 🤐
Cheers, Doug 😎

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 20:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43917

reading the rc advisor I found one point VERY strange he states in runners still have brushes ???? All together children " OH no they don't"

I had forgotten the ducted fan use however yes ducted fans with a need for high RPM and less torque in runners are the obvious choice.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 20:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43919

Read further down and he clarifies that.
Apart from that you can regard all brushed motors for models as 'In-runners' if you will!
BTW: your last video was interesting, as far as it goes, for those into breaking the model boat speed record or competitive racing.
For me the the boats themselves are totally boring, but that's just me 😉
I suspect that the majority of us here are more interested in scale modelling with a run time of more than 5 minutes.
I believe Martin's planes are relatively small so I'm not sure if a small prop will be be a limiting factor. Choice will likely finally depend on the space available in the fuselage! Like I said 'Each to his own' 👍
Anyway, I'm convinced; leave the In-runners to the car racing boys😉
I only have outrunners anyway, even my Catalina arrived with two outrunners!! Mus check the 'Flying Wing' again😲
Thanks for the heads up! 'Tempus fugit' and progress too!
Cheers, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 20:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43922

Doug, is that the Rx with stabiliser that you had trouble with? And what exactly does a stabiliser do in a model boat? And don't say "stabilise".

If I did do airyplanes they would be smallish as I don't have space for big stuff and then you're into IC with fuel costs or big battery packs for big expensive brushlesseseseses. I must admit, whilst the really fast boats make you think, "Bloody hell" a few times they do become boring. Actually I find they all become boring as there isn't the involvement as with an aircraft, which is why I thought sailing models would be a good compromise. If I lived in a hilly area I would be a slope soarer, but I live in the Flatlands!
Now flying boats/floatplanes is an idea, but you'd need a large body of water.

I wonder if you could make a ducted fan Bluebird K7?

Martin

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 20:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43924

the short answer is yes it has been done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cd_Kin5_7c

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 20:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43925

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2ANJAVRQpQ

Now this one uses an actual jet engine

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 21:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43926

Hi Martin,
The RX with flight stabiliser is for my Catalina flying boat!!
It just helps to keep things under control on windy days 😊
Automatically adjusts to wind gusts.
A tip I got from PMDevlin here on the site👍, who has the same Catalina model and got me hooked😊
First pic is Paul's, second pic mine! BTW: they have two brushless OUT-RUNNERS!!
The stabiliser might help a boat / ship that is sensitive to side winds I suppose!? The auto aileron control wouldn't be a lotta use tho!
Unless of course adjustable stabiliser fins are fitted, like on modern cruise ships😁 The pissibolities are endless these days 😉
More power to your budgets folks, cheers, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 21:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43929

Hi Haverlock,
there are even nuts over here who have made 1/6 Eurofighters, F104 Starfighter (Widow Maker😲) and F18s, with sometimes home-made jet turbines!! Massive beasts and massive costs!
They crop up on DMAX Model Builder series from time to time.
Cheers, Doug 😎

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 21:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43931

I know people build real jets I look at them and DROOOOOOOOOL. However at my age and short pockets looking is about all I can afford.

When it comes to stabilising I have a pixhawk in my quadcopter and that is an amazing beast. It is capable of autonomous flight following GPS waypoints then auto landing.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 21:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43936

Me too!
Never mind the cost, imagine the space you need to build and store the beast! Those guys all seem to live in mansions or in their own factories😲

Yeah, you posted Pixhawk already, A380 autopilot to Jo'berg folks!?
The stabiliser RX will do me, don't see much point in flying outta sight, never mind all the German ATC regs 😡
OK for Amazon & Co I suppose.

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 22:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43939

Well done mate.Not detracting from your efforts but as you say easy when it bites your hand so to speak. Getting back to Threading dies. What about having a go at splitting some as I posted a bit back. Good quality discs from Bang Good will do the job. It might take a couple for one cut but as long as you can keep them firm,say in a lathe tool holder and the cutting tool in the chuck you can make straight clean cuts. The edges of the cut form the cutting edges. Also note which is the feed side. ie the bigger opening. This is the side you present to the rod to make the cut. Grannies, eggs and sucking come to mind. If they fit many apols.😜👍 John

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 22:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43940

Ah, I didn't realise you'd already flown it, Doug. Nice job. Now I see why you'd need a stabiliser. Amazing what they do these days.
When I worked in Germany at the car design studio I made the master for a 1/7th scale EE Lightning. That silly scale because it fit what was available as a jet engine then. I was earning so much I could have (should have) bought a jet every month and not missed it! Then I realised that for years they'd be making better and better ones and what I bought then would have been outdated inside a year or less. So I gave the fuselage and the start of the wings to Mick Reeves and as he was out I left them by his back door ( he lives near me). A little while later he was flogging a 1/7th scale Lightning kit! Who knows? Now, I couldn't afford even a cheapo jet, but there is still the fascination of something the size of a can of beans making the same noise as a real jet.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 23:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43941

Evenin' John,
Yeah, it turned out much easier than I'd expected, as I said it's always easier when you have the 'patient' on your bench! I was expecting to have to get the spectrum analyser warmed up! That's the way it goes sometimes 😊 I can see exactly what my 27 and 40 Meg sets are doing on my 60Meg scope but now I'm getting deeper and deeper into 2.4 Gig tech, and prompted by Martin's snag, I just ordered a little 2.7 Gig analyser!! Curse the expense 'Give the cat another canary' 😉

Many thanks for the die cutting tips. I have some pretty good quality Dremmel diamond tipped cutting discs (0.75mm) so I'm sure they are 'Man enough'!
I 'sucked electronic eggs' so all such mechanical engineering tips are more than welcome 👍 All the best, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2018 23:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43943

Hi Martin, have to admit I haven't flown it yet, the damn Orange RX won't work with my TXs 😆 So I'm about to buy the Lemon version, which is supposed to be Spektrum DMX and DSM2 compatible! We'll see!
Guess I could at least do some taxiing trials with a standard RX on the Ostpark lake!? I haven't actually flown anything for nearly 50 years 😲
Did once 'fly' a Victor tanker simulator, that was fun😁
Also flew a real Grumman trainer a few times, from Blackwater airfield near Camberley, just before I left UK for Germany. That was LOADS MORE fun😊

For your 'smallish hairyplanes' the stabiliser RX could also be useful!?
Just so happens 😁 I've got an Orange version, which works with your TX😊, going spare!!😁
In my, admittedly limited, experience small RC planes can be very twitchy and sensitive to winds!
That's why I switched to ship building; two Totals and a Fly-away😡
I can swim but I can't fly 🤔

You absolute nut! You gave away such a treasure! Without even arranging some royalties? I'm surprised at you 😲
1/7, wow! 10 times the size of the Airfix kit I built back then.
The EE Lightning was a nice bird (sheer brute force and ignorance😁), but not a patch on the Hawker Hunter for sheer looks and just STYLE!
I flew the KeilKraft version for while, until I managed to Jetex it outta sight, at RAF Hemswell, now a housing estate I see 🤔
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be, or ...?
Alles gute alter Knacker! Cheers, Doug 😎

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jul 2018 00:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43945

Doug those discs will be ideal for the job. Re buying electronic bits and pieces try the Component Shop here in N.Wales Good prices and excellent service.
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jul 2018 00:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43946

Hi John, Yep, I know Component Shop, and the Action Electronics modules inside out👍 Have bought ESC mixers and Asdic pingers from them. Good stuff, and some of it dead easy to duplicate! 😲😁

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jul 2018 18:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43965

Hi Doug, I could be interested in that Rx of yours. But I thought that the Txs were Ok for either DSMX or DSM2, although I haven't any idea what they are. PM me with a price?

To be honest, I hate working foam and was glad to be rid of the Lightning master in the end. And Mick is such a lovely guy. I'm sure Firme Hahn haven't missed the slab of foam I made it from!

When I were a wee loddy, all RC 'planes were little. 4 foot was a big boy. Now, 4 foot is laughed at. Even a Super 60 is considered small.
I may just go ahead with something of a small trainer level and then slam down the Skystreak 32. We'll have to see. Or It might be a flying wing slope soarer to fly up at my son's place in Berwick on the Scotch borders. Lob it, fly around, land it, go ome. Suits me!

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jul 2018 18:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43966

There, this says everything about flying wings to me. Watch it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVl3wR5muH0

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jul 2018 23:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43980

Mornin' 😲Martin,
Yeah, I thought the TX was good for both too. I bought it 'off the shelf' in Conrad, in Tal here in Munich.
Then much later in the small print on Spektrum's website I read -
"DSM2 not for EU models'! 😡
Odd! UK was also in the EU then!?
Will PM U wot I paid for it. Came from HobbyKing - Where else? No wonder model shops are dying like flies 🤔

You're right about plane size.
Last one I built (a few decades ago🤔) was the little Simprop 'Zaunkönig' (= Wren). After I 'd built it I looked at the short double decker wings, about the length of my forearm!, and cut the top plane down the middle and added a centre section to about double the span for more lift, and hopefully to make it less twitchy.See pics. Last pic is the sad mucky state when I found it in the cellar last year.
Shortly after that I moved to Munich and had my hands full with other concerns. Still got the Enya 047 Glowplug and fuel tank intended for it somewhere! Might try fitting a brushless instead.

When I was a kid, around 13 / 14, I made a scratch built (no plan - just 'thinks'!) free flight (RC? Wossat?) soarer.
Basically 3 planks of 36x4x1/4" hard balsa. 72" span, 36" tail boom fuselage. That was BIG in those days.
Bloody thing climbed and flew so well on it's Maiden that the last I saw of it was at zig thousand(?) feet over Hemswell Cliff in Lincolnshire heading due east at a rate of knots 🤔 Had launched it from the top of the water tower at RAF Hemswell, Dad was a Crew Chief on Thor missiles there.
Hope someone in Denmark or Norway had some fun with it 😉 I've often wondered where it ended up.
Must dig my Flying Boat / Wing outta the cellar!
BTW: the foam wing/flying boat and Catalina arrived as kits with the foam cutting already done😁
Cheers, Doug 😎
PS: I still have the Glow-plugs I bought for the 'Zaunkönig', intend to try them as ignition for Flash Paper firing of depth charge throwers and guns on my destroyer. One has to have dreams or there's no progress! 😁
G'night all 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Jul 2018 10:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43985

Doug, that is a mystery as to why your Spektrum isn't both DS** As you say, UK was (still is officially) EU.

Nice little bipe there. Looks like it should have an 049 and single channel RC with a "bang-bang" escapement in it. I've seen people do astonishing aeros with such a set-up. I'm not brave enough to try it.

But I do fancy a flying wing soarer. No motor, no chance of fly away, no need for expensive insurance.

Cheers,
Martin

Wingcoax
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 17
21st Jul 2018 17:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43993

Martin, Please note that your comment about "no insurance" is misleading. All model flyers should be insured and proved competent by passing at least the BMFA "A"test. This is speaking as a former instructor and "B"certificate holder.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Jul 2018 19:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43996

Wingcoax, it's a soarer, a glider, it can't fly away and to get a certificate I would have to join a club and they are all too expensive. I know I can fly, I've done it before. My old chum who has designed and built over 50 model aircraft is a superb flyer and has never received a moment's "training" in his life. Perhaps if you want to do all that 3D aerobatic showing off stuff it's best to be insured and be checked out by someone who is better than you, but a bit of gentle soaring, assuming I can find somewhere in the Flatlands is just not serious enough to bother.
IF I decided to go motorised I would have to consider insurance, but if it relied upon membership of a club, no, I'd have to stay with model boats, because flying clubs are just too much to justify.

Martin

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Jul 2018 20:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43998

you don't have to join a club . BMFA (British model flying association) will take none club members, you join as a country member. You don't actually have to take the proficiency test, but most clubs insist on it. Not only does it demonstrate a basic understanding, and basic competency of flight, electric, ic, petrol or free flight, its also an understanding of caa rules and safety. There is also the LMA (Large model association) which also carries public liability insurance.

Flying without insurance just isn't worth the risk, imagine, on a nice hillside, nobody around, up on a thermal, and the tx fails, the soarer comes down, (anywhere as there is now no control) and hits an animal, or worse, a walker, would the £34 for a full year public liability insurance still seem expensive when you are hauled in court facing prosecution and possible imprisonment? Same with an rc boat, particularly a fast one, receiver packs in, boat is out of control, and little jonny has his hands in the water as it hits the bank, still don't think insurance is worthwhile? I bet a lot of people insure their mobile phone for more than £34 a year, by the way, Im sure BMFA insurance also covers other rc disciplines 👍

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Jul 2018 21:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43999

You're painting a worst case picture. I'm not against insurance as such, just the expensive nonsense after years of a very reasonable 5 pounds a year with MAP. Why couldn't whoever bought out MAP keep with the insurers. Things go up, sure, but 5 quid to 34? Where did that come from? I don't want to join a club, any club. Why can't I get insurance on my own account? It's stinks of a con to me.
And as for insuring a model yacht or effectively a glorified toy boat, that's going too far. I don't do fast boats, not interested. And frankly, if Johnny has his hands in the water of a dedicated model boat pond, that's his parents look-out. If he puts his foot on the road in front of a cyclist he gets no protection.
How did we ever manage to become enthusiasts in the good old days when we could sail anywhere and not worry about it?

Martin

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Jul 2018 23:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44008

Five pounds will buy nothing now so it’s a bit silly comparing this. You could buy a bag of chips for 25p and a new bike for £25 but it all has no relevance. I’m sure you can get your own insurance but £3 a month is hardly expensive given the legal cover medical cover third party and public liability cover available. I never mentioned toy boats or yachts which are obviously slower. I don’t actually know any dedicated private model boat lakes where public have no access so there is always a risk. Insurance is all about the risk. That’s what you cover. I bet pretty much the majority of model boaters have no insurance but that doesn’t mean it’s right. Planes are another matter and I believe anybody flying without insurance is reckless irrespective of how long he has been doing it. The risk is greater

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 00:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44012

Most sensible folks these days have personal 3rd Party insurance, not just the obligatory car insurance!
Like all insurance; if you ain't got it you will one day need it, if you've got it nowt will happen. Sod's Law 😲
Just look for one that covers operating RC models, or at least doesn't exclude it! Some insurers (here at least) offer it as an 'add on' for a peanuts annual premium.
That's what I did here in Germany, 3rd party All Risks.
Costs about €60 per annum but is not just for models.
Would also cover me if I accidentally caused a disaster in a supermarket or whatever.
Don't need any model club or association membership.
Cheers, Doug 😎
The rise in premiums probably comes from the escalating costs of reparation, legal fees and exorbitant awards made to the 'injured party'.
An unfortunate trend spilling over from the US.
E.g. hundreds of thousands for folks who dry their poodles in a microwave just because the manufacturers instructions didn't explicitly say not to do that! According to new ATC laws here any flying model weighing 5kg or more has to have a fireproof plate fitted with full name and address.
Above 20kg you need ATC approval.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 10:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44025

I haven't heard of that over here, Doug, but it sounds like something I would consider, as it covers more. Last time I tried I couldn't get any sense out of the brokers at all. One couldn't even understand what a "model aircraft" was! Didn't exactly fill me with confidence that I'd end up with anything usable.
I think if the British Model Flying Association was still the Society of Model Aeronautical Engineers I would be far more likely to approach them, but the BMFA can go to hell with its naff logo too. Still don't see where chucking a foamy off a deserted cliff needs insurance! And boats, round here? Nah. This is Fenland, Nothing and nobody.

You need CAA permission for heavy kites over here too. Anything over 11Kg, I think, or a certain size. My old chum built a 1/4 scale Tiger Moth, with a 35cc petrol engine in it. He also has a 1/4 scale Stampe. Huge things.

Martin

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 11:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44027

Do you NEED insurance to fly a model airplane no. Should you have it YES. Its not very long ago a teenager was killed in Dartford.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1447013/Girl-14-kill...

You may take the position that this was a large(ish) model yours will be smaller. While I cannot locate a reff. I have a memory of a story relating to a child killed by a .049 powered model. This was many years ago.

Your idea of a foamy probably being to light to do much harm sounds good until you consider how much mass it holds in ballast. Remember the energy of a moving object is given by 1/2 MV^2. If you have a flying site which is remote from other people and privately owned so there are no members of the public around then again your probably good to go. If however there are chances of other members of the public around then its foolish to take a risk which is not needed.

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

22nd Jul 2018 12:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44029

Hi Martin, glad Doug sorted your spektrum, the problem is we do live in a different world now, back in the 70s 80s and 90s a model rc aircraft was something small boys and even big boys would be in wonder of because you had to spend a lot of time effort,money,and patience to have one.
However that is not the case now, I can go to Tesco just now and for very little money (£35ish) walk out of the door with a small 4 channel 2.4GHz rc plane and go attempt to fly it in my local park.
Now there lies the problem model rc aircraft are no longer things old men like us would spend months making then going to our club fields to fly.
Let's go one step further, let's go to any good model shop and buy, ready to fly, what is described on the box as a "Park flyer" now this Park flyer is capable of over 100mph coming out of a reversal manoeuvre in straight and level flight.
Now we on here would never fly this model in a public place, but a lot of people will and do.
I used to be an active member of SMAE way back but am no longer because I'm lucky enough to have access to a totally private field.
Norman.

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 13:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44033

very good points all, particularly Norman. Some artf models, foamies mainly, are far from that, I know, I've had some. So take for example a popular brand in small hobby shops, dynam. They make very good models, on a budget. They are ready to fly, once the receiver is in there. £120 ish gets a nice model, with something like a 5 foot span, so it can be big. Last one I had, after pre assembly checks, because I knew this would happen, motor firewall was loose, prop was on backwards, spar for wings needed attention as it didn't fit, some of the wires where labelled wrong, and the wheel retracts where both damaged by over tightening. I knew what to look for, but a novice Dad and Lad, buys a birthday present, assembles, goes to local footie field, and the inevitable happens.

No range check, because they don't know about this
no pre assembly checks
no experience, or help (which is the benefit of a club)

no insurance when the model crashes into the carpark and damages a car (ive seen this)

Sorry, Ive taken this thread way off topic, so wont carry thsi on, apologies to the thread starter!

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 14:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44038

No power, no parks, no public, no weight.
If however I had any of those, I WOULD insure. I once saw a pylon racer scream out of the sky and go THROUGH a lovely clinker built dinghy. THROUGH, mind you and into the mud tother side. Clean as a whistle., A few months later, a very happy dinghy owner was showing off his fully repaired and revarnished/painted small craft, thanking the unfortunate flyer for his wayward kite as he'd got a full rebuild off the insurance. That, not THAT long ago, was the 5 quid a year MAP insurance. No questions, no faffing, paid up a treat.
Now if I were flying those projectiles, or anything that fast and that heavy in public I would insure.

Now see what a clever circling back to boats I've done there

Cheers,
Martin

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 15:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44039

Hi doug I'm glad you sorted that Tx problem. Easy when etc. . I was about to suggest a "dry" soldered joint at the switch which would have had the same effect. My No2 son got pulled by the smokeys for driving with his fog lamps blazing in fine weather. As he had just bought the vehicle he just got verballed and a notice to repair etc. I went through it with a meter from front to rear. No dice so I suggested finding the fuse and pulling it until I had more time to go through it again. Rob opened the fuse box and found that two wires were 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍trapped under it with the insulation split giving a permanent live to the fog lights when the headlights were turned on. Again someone had been careless. Often the case unfortunately rather like the store man who put the wrong bolts in the bin and the engineer using them to put in an aircraft windscreen that blew out in flight. The blast carried the pilot half way out where he hung until the plane landed. A few thous made all the difference. Imagine if the fault in the tranny was in a mains powered item just what might have happened. I shudder to think. sorry mods for hi-jacking the thread. John O/T

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 17:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44049

Yep, he done good, did the Naval man in Munchen. I'm in his debt and if I use the TX to fly I promise I'll insure myself, but I ain't joinin' a club unless the local one is as cheap as someone recently suggested.

And the only decal on my wings will be the SMAE, if I have to hand paint it!
Now...back to boats. Tis my birthday and my dear bride bought me a set of the old Yeoman white metal fittings for my Crash Tender, so now the kids have departed I will have a wee clean up of them. Then, a Chicken Achar from the new Indian restaurant.

A bonus is that she also bought me a pack of 20 beautifully made turned brass portholes, glazed, that I've just realised will fit the Crash Tender wheelhouse. Result...I HATE glazing portholes. I did 9 on a scratchbuilt canal boat and it drove me nuts. 4 down, 16 to put back in storage, the last of Modelling Timbers' stock of them and the manufacturer no longer does em.

Martin

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 20:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44054

Westie if you want more "OH"s I think my namesake Mantua Models have some. Re unglazed ones if you get a look at them before you buy there should be a little ridge inside that the "GLASS" sits on. If you cut your glazing material carefully--- A sharp tube is best to cut it with. A drop of canopy glue secures it well.
Re insurance etc. I was hit behind the eye on the temple by a model weighing less than half a pound. A low speed bipe at that. It hit at an angle from behind & I was almost knocked out by it. A strong breeze took it off course. Anything bigger could have killed me I think. Quite a few planes went adrift that day with the wind strength what it was. 15 -18 MPH I think it was. No harm was done luckily Therefore I would have insurance from one source or other. Bring back MAP👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 21:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44058

Hi John, yes I'm sure I saw that story on the 'Mayday - Alarm in Cockpit' series. A sobering tale, like the cheap 'forged' false pylon bolts that caused a 777 to loose an engine 😲
Cheers, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 22:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44061

Re Portholes,
Martin, I don't know how many dozen I did on my 1/72 53" destroyer, two rows in the hull plus superstructure, but that's why I AM NUTS! 😁
Since fibre-glassing the hull I now have to do those AGAIN! 😡
Cheers, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 23:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44066

In the War on nuts, Doug, I declare you beyond help!

I cut them on the narrow boat with an Olfa cutter in the end. He didn't notice the tiny pin prick in the middle of each lens. I have some canopy glue, but I haven't used it yet. Is it any different really, from say MicroKlear?

Got most of my Crash Tender fittings cleaned up while Chris watched her mama Mia on the telly. Being from old moulds they needed a fair bit of filing and sanding, but we got there. Some only need a slight scrape with a knife. Very hard white metal, which hardly makes your fingers discolour so I'm guessing lead free. You even get two resin navigation lights.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jul 2018 00:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44070

Mornin' Martin,
I haven't the foggiest what an Olfa cutter is, never had any Olfa to cut 😁,
don't know MikroKlear either. Can only say Canopy Glue worked great for me.
Apropos NUTS syndrome; yep the quacks an' trick cyclists have given up on me as well😁 One wanted to write a seminar around me I think!

What U doin' muckin' about with 'Old Mould'? Eeeeh 😆
More power to your scraper 😉
Cheers, Doug 😎

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jul 2018 00:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44072

the Olfa cutter is a compass cutter

https://www.fredaldous.co.uk/products/olfa-compass-cutter?ut...

you can avoid the pinprick by using a covering piece to take the point of the cutter. I did however pick up a compass cutter from

https://www.theworks.co.uk/?q=Circle%20Cutter

This has a covering piece to stop making holes in the work piece.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jul 2018 00:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44075

Thanks Haverlock,👍
Now I just have to find some Olfa to cut! 😁
and then a use for it 😲
Cheers, Doug 😎
BTW; second link didn't work, just twiddled it's thumbs and never completely loaded 😭

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jul 2018 09:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44079

I tried using a protector piece, but it helped it slide all over the place.

Ihave the first of those items.

Old mould. Can't whack it. Better than mature Cheddar

Micro Klear is that stuff that looks exactly like PVA glue (and probably IS) that model airyplane kitbashers use to glaze tiny airliner windows and such. It goes allegedly clear when dry, but is so bumpy a blind man can see it.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jul 2018 12:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44086

Hi Martin,
I used a 'protection piece' as well, but only when facing fast bowling on a 'sticky wicket' 😲😡😭
If it slipped around I just tightened the straps 😁😁

'Old Mould'; Of course! A nice ripe Stilton or Gorgonzola. Not to mention Roquefort 😋

Canopy glue doesn't seem to have the 'lumpy' problem.
I only discovered it, and other Deluxe Materials stuff, last year and up to now I'm very pleased and impressed with their stuff. Not cheap but they do exactly what it says in the blurb 😊
Cheers, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jul 2018 13:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44089

I assume you're referring to something sporting, rather than sartorial.
Yup I do like a Stilton or Roquefort, with me Patum Pepperium and a nice glass of a rich red. The combination is pure gentleman's club. Wood smoke and red leather.

Failing that, in this weather I am a Spatlese man. Or a cold G&T. I was given a bottle of Southern Comfort yesterday, by my daughter, bless her. I like that with a large piece of ice and a slice of orange, left to brew for a while.

Off out to take Chris to the quack. In the hottest part of the hottest day of the year. Great!

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jul 2018 14:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44090

Yep, otherwise known as a 'Jockstrap' 😲

SC is too sweet for me, and prefer V&T to G&T.
Can't get the smell of gin passed me schnozzle 😡
Pims #1 is also good. Tally Ho chaps!

Temp here has collapsed 10°C again, cloudy and rainy.
Expecting 37°C again at end of the week though, Phew!!
GWS to Chris, cheers, Doug