Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 5 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 10 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (19)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Longer run time
Longer run time
(546 views)
randhbarker
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 31
9th Jul 2018 20:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43616

I am using 1 12v lead acid battery in my sea queen with a brushless motor.
It’s only giving me about 15 minutes on the water.
The boat will get up and go for a few minutes but after that I can have the throttle wide open but the speed has gone.
Can I link more than 1 battery together to give me a greater voltage which I believe a brushless motor can cope with.
If so which batteries should I use and should I wire in series or parallel?
I await your thoughts
Thanks

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2493
9th Jul 2018 20:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43619

Hi, Lead acid doesn't like delivering the high currents brushless motors want. They are more suited to long term low currents.
Go for a LiPo, 3 or 4S, something 7AH plus should keep you going for a while. Don't put batteries in parallel as one will inevitably try to charge the other, unless you have a hi power diode board in between them to prevent that. Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 503
11th Jul 2018 02:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43661

Your question does not have simple answers have you used a watt meter to see the current your motor is drawing at full throttle? With any installation its a good idea to do that test since its a good way to match motor and prop.

LiPo batteries have a better current delivery than lead acid BUT you do need to be careful about end voltages so as not to damage the battery. Many ESC have a voltage cut off built in to protect LiPo batteries it may be your hitting that limit with your lead acid battery.

The simplest solution to your problem is to look at the Amp/hour rating of your existing battery and get something with a higher rating. Going LiPo can give a much higher rating with a LOT less weight. The downside being the need for a special charger and the need to be careful about storage and end point voltages.

As to putting 2 batteries in series to get a higher voltage yes you can BUT increasing the voltage to a brushless motor requires you match the prop to the new voltage running on the existing prop will probably cook the motor. How hot is your brushless running now? Outrunners generally can swing a bigger prop than inrunners.

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)