Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (14)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Graupner Jumbo 540 motors
Graupner Jumbo 540 motors
(334 views)
Will-I-Am
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 5
8th Aug 2018 17:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44836

Help required please, I have two Graupner Jumbo 540 6volt motors in an eboat circa 1978, I had fitted an Mtroniks speed controller replacing the Bob's board only to find that when the voltage dropped below 6 volts down to 5.6 volts I was experiencing intermittent operation of the esc. I have been informed by Mtroniks that the minimum voltage for operation of the esc is 6volts. Graupner have also confirmed that the maximum voltage for the Jumbo 540 motors is 6 volts.
Do I have any alternatives other than refitting the Bob's board?

CB90
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 29
18th Aug 2018 20:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45189

I think it would be worth the risk of running the DC Motors at 7.2v (NiMh) or second choise 7.4v (Lipo) and get rid of the 6v lead acid battery.
The chance of damaging the motor is limited, the battery packs will be lighter than an equivalent lead acid, but will need to by a charger as well.
Always put a fuse in line rated 5 amps below that of the ESC.

Or buy two higher voltage motor?
only £6.99 each plus P&P link copy and paste into browser address:-
https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/graupner-speed-600-8-4v-mo...

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2332
18th Aug 2018 22:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45191

hi Will,
I agree with replacing the SLA. If you don't want to go LiPo cos of chargers etc etc how about a 5 cell 6V NiMh? much lighter than the SLA
For the ESC switch to the Mtroniks Viper Marine Micro 10. That handles motors up to 550 can size, 10A motor limit, and runs off 4.8 to 12V 👍👍
I use these very happily on ships running 2 or 4 540s. A destroyer and a cruiser. Both about 54".

http://www.mtroniks.net/prod/Boat-Speed-Controls/Viper-micro...
You can get 'em about 5 quid cheaper here
https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Mtroniks-marin...
There are also 15 and 20A versions if you want to run both motors off one ESC 😉
Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Will-I-Am
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 5
18th Aug 2018 23:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45192

Doug,
The 6volt battery is currently an NiMh battery not an SLA. The problem was that according to Mtroniks the minimum voltage to the ESC to adequately run the BEC connection is 6volts. That is why I was getting erratic control when the battery voltage was 5.6 volts. The action speed controller will work 2-12 volts and I am going to use a separate receiver battery as suggested by Dave Milbourn just to make sure.
Regards Will

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2332
18th Aug 2018 23:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45194

Hi Will, Sounds good to me👍 I like the Action Electroncs stuff as well, have their dual ESC with rudder mixer which I want to try in my long thin destroyer to reduce the turning radius.
Was misled about the SLA by a previous post🤔
Makes sense re the BEC which I believe is 5V 1.2A. I prefer a separate RX batt anyway😉
BUT: if you run a 6V NiMh down to 5.6V you are close to the Deep Discharge zone which will seriously damage the battery and drastically shorten it's life 😲 Threshold voltage is 1.0V per cell, so take erratic control as a warning that the battery is flat and come home soon!
Look forward to your Sea Trials report. Cheers, Doug

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
CB90
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 29
19th Aug 2018 07:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45196

Sorry but when you said 6v I assumed it was a SLA so your NiMh, must be a 5 cell as they come in multiples of 1.2v.

So I agree the simplest solution is a Rx battery pack and disconnect the BEC supply.
(May need to remove +ve wire from ESC(s) plug?)

Attached Files - Click To View Large