Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
September 2018: 10 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (21)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Current loading of a Motor
Current loading of a Motor
(198 views)
CB90
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 29
14th Aug 2018 10:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45051

Hi there, can anyone help with a question about current flow through an electric motor (in this case Brushless).

A boat in the bath (static) pulls 25A is there a relationship to what it will pull on open water (dynamic), I know there are many factors involved. I am looking for a best gest-imate or practical experience, for a average planning hull.

I once read It was between 10-15% less when moving but this could be for a displacement hull.

Many thanks
Roy

canabus
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 123
14th Aug 2018 12:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45054

HI CB90
I use a Turnigy 180Amp Wattmeter and Power Analyzer which plugs in line between the battery and ESC.
Canabus

CB90
(Fleet Admiral!)

14th Aug 2018 19:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45061

Thanks Canabus, I have a watt meter, so I know my static (boat not moving) current drain is, but it is just that my nearest pond is 40 miles away to test the boat dynamically.

The trouble with living in Cumbria, no safe water for models.

Thanks Roy

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 365
14th Aug 2018 20:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45063

Hi Roy, isn't there a canal near you, they tend to be quiet and not too deep.
Cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
CB90
(Fleet Admiral!)

14th Aug 2018 21:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45066

Hi there,
Sorry but Cumbria has no Canals, Lancashire has some 40 miles away.
Cumbria has some lakes some covering 5 acres or more all with overhanging trees, poor access, exposed to high winds and rain, and a nice 4-7 mile walk to get to the other side.

The Windermere club was about 40miles from me but has no water at present and has not had any for a number of years.

I may be fussy, but if something goes wrong (which it often does) I need to get my boat back without too much trouble.

It is surprising but even small public ponds/paddling pools have been closed by local councils in-case they get sued.

So I travel a round trip of 80 miles to sail at Darlington Model Boat club, a great bunch of lads they have a 80m square pond with access all round, a rescue boat, a club house, toilet and kitchen.

I also go to Norwich, Eaton Park when I visit my Dad a fantastic old Victorian walled pond about 30m by 120m.

Some pics of Eton Park

Thanks
Roy

Attached Files - Click To View Large