Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
September 2018: 10 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (18)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Taycol Supemarine Resurrection
Taycol Supemarine Resurrection
(691 views)
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2212
13th Sep 2018 13:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46156

IN THE BEGINNING there was what looked like a pile of rust😲
which got soaked in WD40 for 24 hours!
After washing off with warm water and washing-up liquid, and drying in the sun for a few hours, the bearings (and copper wire brushes) were oiled, missing connecting links bridged, and 6V (with current limit 3A set) was cautiously applied. Lo and behold she rattled and protested BUT RAN! Oh! That nostalgic smell of ozone, and enough sparks to read a book by🤔
Next connections were changed, to separate field and armature coils (brush gear), and connected to a standard brushed motor ESC (Graupner Navy 30A) via my prototype converter board, and a Robbe Servo Tester to simulate TX and RX. lo and behold chapter 2; she ran forwards and backwards😊 and no sparks!
Now dismantled (last 3 pics) to start clean up and replacement of corroded parts. Sorry Col, I broked your motor😁😁
Armature was cleaned up and commutator polished; surprisingly lots of 'meat' on it so motor has not been run much.
Next stop; lathe to make some new frame spacers.
After that new bearing bushes cos the old Paxolin end plates have worn so that there's about 1/32" slop!
Will probably have to turn the drive shaft down from original 1/4" (6.35mm) to 5mm to remove last traces of rust and pitting.
Cheers All, Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 365
13th Sep 2018 21:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46167

Wow Doug, you're a star and letting you loose on my motor proves it.
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to restore the rust heap into a useful working motor once again. I better get on with sorting out my dad's old sea commander ready to put it in. By the way the BA spanners are on the way via normal post.
Cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Sep 2018 22:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46168

Thanks Colin,
In the process I've probably destroyed much of it's vintage value to collectors, even though so far I haven't had to replace any parts.
But I did ask! So I'm restoring it to a working unit as requested.😉
Two of the longer frame spacers are now a bit slimmer 😲 after turning most of the corrosion pits off, but useable.
Could salvage all aluminium spacers except two of the short ones which just crumbled to dust.
I'll make new ones tomorrow or probably Saturday. Tomorrow is a busy day, optician (new goggles), and photographer (new passport photos!), shopping (man's gotta eat sometime😁) and then dinner with the GF. It's all go folks!
TA much for the spanners Colin 👍 will be very handy for the reassembly.
Looking forward to seeing the motor propelling your Sea Commander across the lake. Don't forget 'The Beast' weighs about 950gm, bit less now that I've removed most of the crud of ages😁
Cheers, Doug 😎

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Sep 2018 19:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46215

Evening Doug,
Just a thought, as this motor has shafts either side of the motor, I was thinking of fitting a fan on the non-drive end for cooling, would this be feasable or isn't it likely to be needed.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Sep 2018 16:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46277

Hi Colin, sorry nearly missed this.
Don't think a fan will be needed for the motor, max current should only be around 5A and it's a hefty chunk of metal.
BUT it could be useful to cool the ESC and especially the bridge rectifier in the converter board for reversing the motor.
You will need something with a 1/4" 'ole in the centre.
Cheers, Doug 😎

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 09:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46296

Great Doug, if you need material for the bearings let me know, did wonder about ball races? But you know me full of useless ideas. As sinatra said you do it your way. Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
boaty
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 52
18th Sep 2018 10:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46297

Interesting restoration project . Great fan of Taycols myself though its some 24 years since I had one.

The motors themselves are bristling with character as you can see the armature rotating and you do get the smell of something electrical along with it. Taycols go further than being just power units as they are good ballast due to their weight.

Unfortunately through progress they have been replaced by little tin cans and brushless devices. Hopefully someday a person or a company will put them back in production due to the number of retro boat kits now being sold.

Boaty

Dave Keech
Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 18:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46304

Wholeheartedly agree Boaty, my fleet is made up of vintage boats which I love reviving, most of them were donated to me over the last 4 years my wife and I both enjoy sailing our boats and trying to encourage younger folk to try it. I have no problem turning over control of my 50 plus year old boats to total beginners of any age, the youngest so far is my grandson who started on his 3rd birthday with a small rc boat I bought him. Now at 4 he's getting quite good and learning learning manoeuvring with my large tug Valiant which is just over 4ft and pushing 60yrs old. I have never been tired of those that are willing to learn and have a go. BTW The supermarine is mine and I am going to be installing it into my father's old sea commander built in 1957. Originally had a diesel, but the taycol is the ideal replacement. And with Doug doing the rebuild on it I will be able to use it with my modern rc system.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 18:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46305

Evenin' Colin,
Thanks for the offer. I'm going to use some stuff the Martin sent me, called Chrodite apparently, although I can't find any description or reference to Chrodite anywhere! Looks like brass with an extra ration of tin.
Supposedly harder wearing.
Anyway, stator and frame spacers etc are now finished.👍
So after feeding the inner man I'll start measuring up for the bushes and see what I can do about tidying up the drive shafts.
Have just sorted out a 'Live Centre' for the mini lathe which should help.
I want to hide the bushes inside the original Paxolin cards and the external end plates which contain the felt oiling pad. So ball races are out of the question unfortunately; too large diameter and too thick 🤔
Needle roller bearings would be nice, but I ain't got none that small😭
(Nah, admit it Doug you ain't got none at all, they're way too expensive😭)
Amused myself today polishing up all the brass nuts and bolts!
Confucius he say "Polishing nuts - very painful" 😁
Weather should be good for spraying tomorrow so I might fire up the compressor and give my PTB a blast of Pacific Green. 😊
Cheers All, Doug 😎
BTW: where are the pics of your Avanti? Harbour posts without pics are pretty dead 🤔 Cheers, Doug 😎 Oops! This doesn't belong here!🤔

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 19:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46306

Hi Boaty,
The Taycols have fascinated me as well, ever since I dug the Target out of the Sea Scout my Dad built in the early sixties. I blogged my renovation of that and the conversion to run with a modern RC system and presumably that, and the converter boards I built for Martin (Westquay), is what triggered Colin to ask me to have a look at his Supermarine.
How could I resist!? 😉
The 'smell of something electrical' is the ozone gas caused by the prolific sparking of the Taycol metal to metal brush / commutator combination.
The other source of Ozone is on the coast wherever there is a strong surf!
I agree, a nostalgic smell, which unfortunately disappears when the converter board is attached to make it run with a standard brushed ESC. The diode bridge kills almost all the sparks. 'Almost' so the usual suppression capacitors are still recommended. 0.1µF across the brush terminals, 0.047µF from each terminal to the motor can, or frame in this case. Earth to prop shaft tube as well if possible.
The motor may not disturb the on-board electronics of your own boat, if using 2.4Gig, but could still affect anyone nearby using 27 or 40Megs.
The power density of spark transmitters (e.g. unsuppressed E-motors, peaks in the upper HF bands and diminishes to almost zilch in the UHF bands. I.e. approx 300 MHz upwards.
Like me and other submariners for instance; 2.4Gig is useless for subs cos it don't go underwater. Cheers, Doug 😎
But here!
BTW Boaty: where are the pics of your Avanti? Harbour posts without pics are pretty dead 🤔 Cheers, Doug 😎

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 20:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46310

Hi Doug, I also can't locate chrodite in any bearing material listings. I have some phosphor bronze in my workshop if it's needed.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 20:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46311

Hi Colin, sintered PB would be my first choice. Let me see how this mysterious Chrodite turns out. I'll let you know.
Cheers, Doug 😎

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 21:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46313

Hi Doug, if you want iolite bushes, they are available on ebay, just say the word and I will order the size you need. Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 674
18th Sep 2018 21:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46321

Chrodite!! Blimey I thought I would never meet another person who knew that word.
My friend had a load to make fixings for his tiny, but lovely Crouch sloop White Mouse. He gave me what he had left and I'm down to about a foot left, so that goes towards making prop shaft bearings, so, Doug, you've actually got a wee bit already.

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 22:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46322

Age related. Completely forgot I'd sent you some. So that's where it all went...haha, only kidding. I can't think of a better use for it, matey.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 22:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46324

Thanks Martin👍
Funny thing is I can't find any reference to such a metal anywhere!
Are you sure it's not ChroMite?
Anyway; I'm sure it will make superb bearings for a Supermarine😊
Cheers, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 22:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46325

So Colin,
Last instalment for today.
just finished fettling up the armature and drive shafts.
Pic 1: having flattened off the ends I used a centre drill to prepare the shafts for machining using the 'live centre' on the mini lathe.
Pic 2: machining the output end.
Pic 3: polishing up the brush gear end, this is where you can attach your fan Colin.
As shown on the micrometer I stopped at 6mm, less 2/100mm clearance, and will make the bearing bushes to suit.
If you want the shafts turned down a bit more for the drive coupling and/or the fan attachment let me know Colin. I'll keep the actual motor bearing sections of the shaft as it is at 6mm to fit the bushes I'll make tomorrow.
All the best, Cheers, Doug 😎
PS Ain't never no not 'eard of Iolite neiver!😲 But then I'm only an igorant lectrickery engineer 😁 Learnin' fast with all this mechanical magicery!
All good fun folks, and MOST of it actually woiks!😊

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 22:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46326

My mate said it as Chrodite, with narey a hint of a pause, so I just assumed he knew what it was. I think it's effectively Admiralty brass, more or less. Not quite bronze, which is BLOODY hard! But ace bearing material. Goes brown but doesn't corrode further. He made hundreds of his own bolts from it, but had to sell the boat before he finished it.
Bearings for a Supermarine? Mine has its original stuff, Just the end plates of Paxolin with felt oil pads held on with a pressed brass cap. It's worked all these years and there's not a thou. of slop. Amazing. I suppose though, mine never really got a lot of use in the few years I used it. Only odd weekends for as long as a pair of lantern batteries would last. Maybe 10 minutes each!

Anyway, if it gets another working, great news. I'd like to see Colin's fleet of old codgers. I'd feel right at home Mind you, I sent off for a brushless ESC today and will have to get some batteries soon to test the motor. Its a tiddler, but it's 174 watts, so should work. Worth a try anyway as it cost me nowt.

Martin

groovydad
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 4
18th Sep 2018 22:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46327

I sold a Taycol Standard on Ebay about 10 years ago and got £34 for it.
I will tell you the wierdest of stories. When I was 8 years old, my father (still going strong now) made me a 36" Daytona Cabin Cruiser which was B and B constructed from an old pair of wardrobes so it was massively heavy and completely underpowered by a Taycol Star which ran on a large Eveready block battery. We used to sail it in the paddling pool in Dartmouth Park, West Bromwich. That was in the late 1960's. In 1991 I moved to Bournemouth and bought my property in Southbourne in Cranleigh Road, near to the junction with Beaufort Road and my rear garden backs onto the gardens in Lingdale Road. Check out the Google Map and Taycol booklet I have uploaded.😊😊😊

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 22:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46328

Hi Doug, looks like you got it just right, no need to reduce any more as I have 6mm couplings and as the fan has yet to be sourced I will adjust to suit what you make the shaft. What's the lathe you are using, I may have some suitable items for it in my machine spares cabinet.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 22:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46329

Hi Martin, Colin's Supermarine doesn't have a pressed brass cap.
On the inside of the Paxolin frame end plates are two circular paxolin plates, on the out side a plastic (?) holder for the felt oiler pad. The whole shemozzle held together with 4 brass nuts n bolts. The slop in the paxolin plates is somewhere between 1/64" and 1/32" so I reckon it's worth fitting some decent bearings. I'm going to try and hide 'em inside the paxolin and plastic parts to preserve the 'vintage look'. Wish me luck! Cheers, Doug.

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 22:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46331

Look on ebay. Oilite bearings. Sorry for the mistake in the spelling, fingers bigger than the keys.
Cheers Colin

COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 22:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46332

Hi Colin, my mini lathe I'm using for most of the work on your motor is a Proxxon FD150/E. Great for such stuff. Only minor drawback is that there's no auto feed. But then, you can't expect everything for sixpence!😁
So far I've been very happy with it, although it's a bit finicky with setting up the clearances on the cross table. Patience is a virtue!!!!
I also have a much bigger Proxxon bought ca 20 years ago but it's seldom used now that I have the littl'n. cheers, Doug 😎
PS I'll have a look at the Oilites, may be handy in the future.
But for your motor I'll make some 'bespoke' bushes -
1 Cos I love a challenge!
2 They'll have to be tailored to fit the shaft and to hide 'em inside the existing end caps. Hence 'bespoke' 😁
'Never mind the quality - feel the width'!
Anyone else remember that hilarious nonsense!?
Cheers, Doug 😎

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 23:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46336

Yup, John bluthall and Joe lynch about 1970 if my memory is good.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2018 23:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46337

Don't remember Joe Lynch but John Bluthall was brilliant 😁😁😁
PS OK, I'll leave the shafts at 6mm, less a tiddly bit for the oil film!
PPS Apropos lathe spares; I'm having a little trouble finding 6x6 tools for it.
the Proxxon spares are a bit pricey🤔 Oh well, there's always the grinder!
(Also Proxxon!!!)

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 376
18th Sep 2018 23:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46339

I too thought Chromite Doug but can it be used on it's own? I've only heard of it as an alloy or a catalyst. BTW great job. Never owned a Taycol but seen loads.👍 You don't recall Lynchie Tut tut😁

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Sep 2018 00:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46343

Mornin' John, agree re chromite, but still don't know what chroDite is!
I only personally own the one Taycol Target.
I got into this whole Taycol business while I was renovating Dad's old Sea Scout last year and decided I wanted a bit more Oomph so upgraded it to a 1000kV brushless, which gives goods results on a 3S LiPo.
See the vids I've posted of the the 'Sea trials' (Lake Trials!?).
So I decided to use the Target in the ancient Billing Boats Danish fish cutter I'm restoring and converting from static to RC.
Figured the Target would cope OK with the plodding pace of a fish cutter😉 BUT, I wanted it to be reversible without cumbersome external switches or relays as recommended by Taycol / Keil Kraft in those days.
After surfing around a bit a found a website where others had tackled the same problem. Looked at their solutions and refined them slightly.
All I do is rectify the pulsed (square wave) signal from the ESC with a bridge rectifier (4 hi-current diodes in a bridge form in one package), apply the + and - outputs from the rectifier to the field coil so that it produces a constant magnetic field just like the permanent magnet of a canned motor.
The two alternating (pulsed) outputs of the ESC are applied to the AC (~) inputs of the rectifier, which go + / - or - / + according to the command from the TX, I apply to the brush terminals just like a normal brushed motor setup. The output of the ESC is a train of either positive of negative going DC pulses. Pic 2 the positive train on the scope. Pic 3 the negative train.
The larger and wider the pulse the higher and longer the voltage is applied and the faster the motor spins. So called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). The gaps between the pulses are smoothed out by the inertia (flywheel effect) of the motor, and anything hanging on it - like a prop and a few million gallons of wet stuff 😁
Hey presto, a field coil motor that runs forwards or backwards on command 😊 Main thing is simply to separate the field coil from the armature coil (i.e. brush gear) so you can control each one independently. No rocket science but highly satisfying when it all comes together and works on the pond.

OK, I'll look up Mr Lynch, wasn't he the Sarge in Z Cars 😁😁😁
Cheers, Doug 😎

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 376
19th Sep 2018 17:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46351

different Lynch Doug👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Sep 2018 19:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46358

I know 😁

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Sep 2018 11:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46370

Ah, some of my Taycols are also plastic capped, so nice move trying to fit brass bushes invisibly.
BTW, if you're after small tooling for your lathe, try Carter Tools in the States who deal in Taig lathes like mine, although I got mine from a company called Peatol. Cartertools are a great company and sent me spares for a very good price when I needed a new drive belt and an indexing attachment.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Sep 2018 14:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46373

Hi Martin,
Reckon bushes are worth a go, can't be worse than two thicknesses of Paxolin!
Thanks for the Carter tip 👍 I'll look 'em up.
Cheers, Doug

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Sep 2018 15:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46374

Big blue thumb!

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Sep 2018 15:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46375

Be more careful with your hammer then 😡😭😁

Carter don't ship outside US and Canada so I had a look at Haig and from there to Peatol! Veeery interestin'. Useful stuff.
Like the tips an tricks on the Carter site though, excellent.
Cheers, Doug

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Sep 2018 16:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46376

Wha? I bet it's that bloody Post Office crap, where some peaked hat wants money off you for a parcel.
Well, in that case, you have to deal with Peatol, who are OK, but not sure if he sells all the goodies that Carter make and sell. He actually remembered selling and delivering mine in an MG Metro Turbo, red and black. After 30 odd years he recalled me living by a river and taking away the Emco PC pile of dog turds in limited P/ex.
I would love their milling machine but that ain't cheap like the lathe. I'm never gonna get to make my working model petrol engine, dammit!
Sorry to wrong steer you, Doug. I had no idea they'd stopped selling abroad. I would just get my mate in Cal. to buy and send it on to me.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Sep 2018 17:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46377

Shucks! An I was hopin' you'd build me a little 4 cylinder diesel for me to run a brushed motor as a Genny for all the lighting on my ships! Or for the diesel electric propulsion on my Type 45. Now wouldn't that be cool!?😁

BTW Some of Nick Carters tips an tricks showed me how to convert one of my tools to something that'll do what I want! So, out with the Proxxon mini-grinder😉 Cheers, Doug
PS It wasn't a wrong steer cos it led me to all sorts of useful 'stuff' and above all helpful info👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Sep 2018 22:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46389

Hi Martin,
Apropos mini Milling machines; this is the one I use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qffdG_d2fJ0
https://www.axminster.co.uk/proxxon-mf-70-milling-machine-371104
Pics show using it to mill my new Sea Scout propshaft to secure the grub screws in the motor coupling.
I just changed the tool holder from collets to a proper chuck. I also bought the little machine vice which clamps to the table, and the dividing head.
There is also a CNC (putah driven version - ain't got that far yet, bit expensive😉)
But this little job has served me well for several years now, very happy with it👍 I also use it as a precision drill press; e.g. to make the new phosphor bronze brushes for my Taycol target renovation. See last pic.
Have also recently used it to make the little gearbox so I can fit the renovated Taycol Target into my ancient Billing Danish fish cutter 'Gina2'. See, I don't just do the 'Grey Fleet', sometimes I also mess with wood😁 Cheers, Doug 😎