Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (11)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Nomenclature...
Nomenclature...
(278 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 749
22nd Sep 2018 18:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46434

I have seen BEC, UBEC and even SBEC. Can anyone explain the differences, please?

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2318
22nd Sep 2018 22:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46444

Hi Martin,
BEC is the Battery Eliminator Circuit built into an Electronic Speed Controller.
UBEC is a Universal BEC which takes power from the main (drive) battery and supplies 5V or 6v to the receiver. It can be a linear device.
SBEC does the same job as a UBEC but is a so called Switched device which is more efficient than a linear.
So functionally for our purposes there is no difference.
Alles klar Herr Kommissar!? 😉 Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 749
22nd Sep 2018 23:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46447

Thanks, Doug. Not sure what you mean by linear device.

Sorry to be late answering, but at 7-30 this evening our power went off and it's just come back on! Boy was I after a cuppa!
Sat and listened to battery powered DAB radio eating peanuts in the dark and drinking pineapple juice!

Martin

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 405
23rd Sep 2018 01:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46451

I think WQ means if a BEC eliminates a battery and a UBEC and SBEC provide power where does the relevant /required power come from in each case. Also why eliminate a battery and if you do where does the power come from then? I think I've guessed right. If not I apologise Westquay. And what's a linear BEC etc.
Regards John👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Sep 2018 01:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46452

Hi Martin, 'Linear' in this context just means more or less a passive analogue device, and when it's on it's ON full stop.
Decades ago I made my own with a simple one chip circuit using a 3 legged voltage regulator L7805 5V 1A and they're still going strong😊
The SBEC uses a fast switching type of power circuit, similar to the pulsed DC outputs of the ESCs.
The switched type is an active device and is more efficient, less battery power wasted as heat, but can cause interference with older 27 / 40Meg RC receivers. Shouldn't affect 2.4Gig sets though. Cheers, Doug.
PS even in a blackout I think I would find my way to the wine cooler or my malt whisky! 😁😋

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Sep 2018 01:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46453

Hi John, think somehow you've got the wrong end of the stick!🤔
All BECs are Battery Eliminator Circuits of one sort or another.
The objective is to eliminate the separate receiver battery, sometimes necessary purely to save weight and/or space in small models.
If you do that then the RX power must come from the main drive battery, which then has to supply all RX functions; servos, switched lights etc etc.
Personally, if the boat / ship can carry it, I prefer to use drive batteries for just that and use separate battery for the RX and special functions.
Some of which, like smokers for instance can be current gobblers.
Cheers, Doug 😎
PS If you ever find a way of eliminating all batteries and still get the RX to work and the boat to move PATENT IT QUICK!! 😁 Cheers, Doug 😎

Hmmm! Maybe a raft towed behind with an array of hi-current solar panels!? 😁😁 Years ago in my work in NAVAL COMMS systems I once suggested to a shipbuilder, who was complaining about the number of antennas needed, to put some of them on a raft behind the ship 😉
Now they are doing just that with antenna buoys from submerged submarines! No credits 🤔 ... SIGH 😉

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Sep 2018 03:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46454

Doug a quick one for you I've got a wall wart with a blown / burnt resistor. The rest is working fine and I would like to replace the resistor and put back into use with the model it belongs to. I can't read the res as its burnt black (output leads got shorted.) It's the last one in the circuit ( output lead ) Voltage up to it is 15v. It is to charge 7.4v Ncads/ Nimhs AA/AAA packs. I can't work out what the value should be. Should be simples for you if you'd be so kind as to do the maths for me. I'll luv ya forever if you do. Not literally of course but ye know warrimean. Regards John👍 No comments like ducky etc please. Oh yes remember your remarks re our local pubs? The owner of our nearest the STAR ( ex plough Still got one on roof of main windows) rang our bell. He'd seen Marg go off in an ambulance 2 days on the trot and wanted to know if he could help.( We were customers now and again) He brought a wine for Marg and a nice flask of bitter each for Ant and I. Luvverly. He stayed about 2 hours nattering and when he left he said ring him if we needed help any time. We had the same offer from a young chap who helped Marg up the path too with a mate. Our adjoining neighbour looked after their shopping. Starting to see some signs of neighbourliness again it seems.👍😁.

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Sep 2018 05:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46456

Ha Ha i got no credit for some things I came up with either Trouble is I can only remember the word FANTABULOUS which I invented by accident Fantastic and fabulous ame to mind together as I was talking and the hybrid word came out.🤓🤓 Re the BECS I know that but I couldn't explain it like you and was also asking what I thought Martin wanted to know. Floating arrays? Didn't TESLA do something similar during the RC boat . trials? Or was that actually the vessel itself? In one of my bigger boats I used FOUR ex GPO L/A cells which was enough with it's Ex forces motors to put a bone in the boat's teeth as the say. The boat ? RMV Mauritania 5 feet long but very light for it's size hence the need for the accumulator cells Balsa frames and sides with ceiling tile superstructure with balsa bracing. Free running so it was always heeling and with the bone creaming at the forefoot was very impressive. Destroyed by a guy collapsing on it. He'd only fainted but me pore owl gerl was just chips and snowflakes from one end to the other. Nothing to repair as there was nowt left to repair🤐 I kept one cell for starting glow motors and sold the rest at a good profit. Incidentally the motors were that good that when everyone found out where to get them They were sold out in 2 days with no more available anywhere Don't know what they were out of but from the overspray on them ( cockpit green but the Yank version -- we thought) we believed they were from planes. Very solid with 9 segment rotor . Totally enclosed. Airtight? presumably to prevent arcing igniting fumes. The rotorsegments? We found out when one didn't run so we stripped it and found them shining at us. Lovely tight windings. Thick with shellac/varnish. The problem? A stuck brush caused by a tight pivot Drop of 3 in one oil and a very light smear of grease cured it. The carbons were replaceable if you could make or find some. I found a firm in Formby that made and sold brushes for anything. I fixed son's Fiat automatic thenks to them. It had a magnetic clutch and the brushes were so worn we didn't know what the shape should be. Turned out to be about 2 inches long rectangles plain and simple. LOL. Wish I could find some of those lovely engineered motors now.😤👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Sep 2018 10:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46462

Hi John what's the max current the Wart should deliver?
Glad to hear you've got such good neighbours 👍
Cheers, Doug 😎