Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (24)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Mcgregor 1990s transmitter/receiver
Mcgregor 1990s transmitter/receiver
(297 views)
mturpin013
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 65
24th Sep 2018 20:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46507

A long shot, is it possible to convert a Mcgregor transmitter and receiver from 35meg (aircraft only) to a suitable surface model frequency eg 27Mhz band, the 459Mhz band and the 2.4Ghz band.
If it is any instruction available?

Kipper
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 28
24th Sep 2018 21:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46509

To be honest, when you can buy a new 2.4g 6 channel transmitter for £30-£35, even if conversion is possible, I don't think the cost & work to convert is worth the hassle.

mturpin013
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Sep 2018 18:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46522

Hi there KIpper, Its not always about the cost its rather about the challenge for me. I often do things that could very easily be done by purchasing the item, but for me model making is about setting a goal to be achieved - not for everyone I agree.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2305
25th Sep 2018 20:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46524

Evenin' Mike, I like and agree with your basic attitude👍 BUT-
How's your electronics!?
Whereas it MAY be possible to obtain a 2.4Gig TX module for the Mac (but I doubt it cos it's probably too old) there's no way you can mod the RX to match. And which hopping system would you use? FAST, HOTT, AFHDS ...?
Assuming you can find an appropriate TX module you'd have to replace the RX anyway. Your best bet might be to look for a 40MHz TX module, there were a number about before the 2.4 craze started! You'd still have to replace the RX though, unless your electronics is up to a rebuild and retune! And make sure you have a match; AM, FM, PCM, PWM ??
The UHF (459MHz) sets never really got off the ground(!😲) so modules for those are probably as rare as rocking horse droppings!
Look for 40Meg bits.
Bon chance mon ami,👍 Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
mturpin013
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Sep 2018 21:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46525

Thanks a that's a great response. and probably says dump it and buy a new one, its for my 5yr old grandson and I saw this on Hobbyking, what do you think for a first beginners set?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5x-5ch-mini-transmitter-...

@ £18.97

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2305
25th Sep 2018 21:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46527

Looks perfect Mike, no programming, uncomplicated to use for the littlun, and at that price what have you got to lose?
Don't dump the 35Meg set, you never know when you might need it!
Like me and my Sanwa 35Meg set, 30 odd years old and still works fine so I keep it as backup for my Catalina.
It's great that your getting your grandson started, we're gonna need replacements for the Old Codger Guard some time, and that includes me😉🤓 All the best, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 408
26th Sep 2018 10:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46541

Thanks Mike, just got one for my grandson to use with his tug, he's only 4 but really enjoys trying to manoeuver his barges, and getting quite good at it.
Cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 551
26th Sep 2018 21:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46561

I know what you mean, i have altered my Mcgregor TX to Futaba, the receiver was gutted and a Futaba RX hidden inside!!! this was for use on some 60's models so it looked the part, modern internals with a retro outer case

Etherow Model Boat Club