Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (12)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Got the bits, now what?...
Got the bits, now what?...
(499 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 759
4th Oct 2018 11:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46752

OK, I bought a LiPo tother day and some connectors.
This is now what I have.....a motor with little (2mm?) connectors on its wires, a 60Amp ESC with no connectors at all and an Overlander battery with a square plug on the end (Deans, is it) I also have a packet of ten 4mm bullets and heat shrink.

What now? Cut the Deans connector off the battery and replace with bullets, or buy a Deans connector for the ESC to battery? Cut off the little bullets on the motor and replace with the big ones which I should put on the ESC, too?
I suppose I'll have to increase the size of the hole in the ally heat plate next to the motor to accommodate the bigger bullets.

Cheers,
Martin

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Oct 2018 11:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46753

And yes, the thing they're all on is a master for a 1/32nd scale Vanwall transporter!

Martin

jimdogge
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 15
4th Oct 2018 13:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46758

Hi westquay. that looks like a 2200 3 sel battery if it is and it has a black deans connector on it (they are usually yellow) in my opinion they are the best. XT60 if it is put a male xt 60 on the battery side of the esc and your own chosen bullet connectors on the esc to motor. I like to use ec3 or ec5 (depending on current draw) with a different coloured heat shrink seal, on each one. it helps if you need to reverse the the rotation of the motor. Take a look on line at the way the electric flyboys link it all together you will also get an idea of the connctions. Hope this helps. jimdogge

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Oct 2018 18:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46762

Jim, it's a 3S Overlander which my local model shop are doing a deal on.
I don't know what XT 60 is or EC3/5. I have no Deans connectors. All I have a re the 10 pairs of 4mm bullets with black and red heat shrink. I had found an adaptor from 4mm bullet to Deans male, but it's a slow boat from China by the end of November and I ain't that patient! So bullets all round, I guess.

Cheers,
Martin

jimdogge
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 15
4th Oct 2018 19:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46764

Hi martin, yeah stuff comming from places far and wide are a pain in the stern. Bullet connections (the type they use on cars) are ok
not sure if used on greater current and amps they wont melt. I built more aeroplanes with electric power trains and l found that if l stayed with one or two types of connections it was much easier to keep a little collection of spares. EC3 and EC5 are the Blue coloured plastic/brass bullet plugs you can buy. have a look on Hobbyking web site at lipo batteries it will show you all the connections that are out there. jim dogge

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Oct 2018 19:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46765

Thanks, Jim. I'll have a cruise round the electrical sites and see what's what. I still have to watch expenditure as I'm only on a pension, plus the odd thing I flog off.

Cheers,
Martin

ilewis
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 11
5th Oct 2018 09:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46775

Just try Component-Shop (www.component-shop.co.uk) they have a range of adapters off the shelf & can custom build just about anything within a day or sometimes even same day if you say it is urgent. Certainly an adapter to go to/from bullets wouldn't be a problem (or expensive)

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Oct 2018 10:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46777

Hi, just tried them. No evidence of adaptors and wouldn't come up in the search facility. Maybe I'll just get one from China and wait.
Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Oct 2018 11:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46778

Not the cheapest, but available...RC Tech in Llandrindod Wells. Couldn't find the Chinese one again and didn't want the wait for the slow boat. Switch Electronics couldn't be arsed to answer the 'phone on a Friday morning, so they were out too.
Should be here on Monday.

Martin

ilewis
(Chief Petty Officer)

5th Oct 2018 12:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46779

Not sure what you mean about component-shop. Just putting adapter into the search brings up loads of results, or there is a page available from the menu & if you can't spot the one you want just give them a call or e-mail & you will get a response today with delivery tomorrow a real possibility.

ilewis
(Chief Petty Officer)

5th Oct 2018 12:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46780

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/chargers/charging-harnesses-...

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Oct 2018 15:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46783

I put in Deans adaptor in search...nothing there. I found one on Ebay from Llandrindod Wells. Should be with me on Monday.

That'll do. BTW on your link, there was wasn't a Deans male to 4mm bullets, but thanks for the link. They do seem to have a lot of stuff at decent prices. I'll bear them in mind another time.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2329
5th Oct 2018 16:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46786

Hi Martin, spell it right and Lo and Behold 74 results!

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=adap...

Personally, it's so easy I make my own, or swap connectors on one side.
I would have used the other half of the Deans and not put bullets on a battery - too awkward to get on and especially off with risk of damage to the model when it gives way! I'm not surprised there wasn't such an adapter.
Cheers, Doug
BTW; I strongly suspect that the bullets on your motor are 3.5mm, jus as they are on all mine, buy a few 3.5mil spare sockets in case you buy another ESC with open wires.

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Oct 2018 19:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46788

Actually British people tend to go for "adaptor" for electrical equipment and "adapter" for people, although I have never seen, to my knowledge, the latter used in a body of writing.
What I needed and have ordered from Wales, is a Deans male to fit into the battery because I didn't want to change the battery connector for all your excellent reasons, going to a pair of 4mm bullet connectors. Bullets because I have a pack of 10 already and I believe I may have a few more in a box of bits. So I have ordered a Deans male one end of a 50mm length of 12 gauge wire to a male and a female bullet. All the other connectors will be bullets. The bullets on the motor are 2mm diameter and I will keep them as the wires are short and I don't want to fiddle with them, so I have some 2mm females coming, which will go on the ESC motor wires. 4MM bullets on the ESC to fit the new adaptor and we're there. The ESC already has a receiver plug fitted.
Thanks for the link. They look like a good source for the future. Now Giant Cod has gone, where would be a good place for cheap brushlesses?

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Oct 2018 22:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46793

"^ Both spellings are used in both British and American English. "Macmillan English Dictionary". Macmillan Publishers Limited. 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-14. "adapter noun [countable] /əˈdæptə(r)/ or adaptor an object that allows you to connect two pieces of equipment of different types or sizes a. British an object that allows you to connect several pieces of electrical equipment to one electricity supply b. an object that allows you to use electrical equipment in countries where there is a different type of electricity supply from your own"
^ Andrews, Jean (2007). A+ guide to managing and maintaining your PC (6th ed.). Boston, Mass.: Thomson Course Technology. p. 395. ISBN 0-619-21758-8."
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Adapter
Component shop seems to prefer 'adapter'!
Whatever, glad you've got it sorted, or nearly.
2mm on the motor is unusual! What motor is it?

Who or what the blue blazes was 'Giant Cod'??? Google's answer -
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/mans-he...
😲
HobbyKing is good for brushless, BUT I now also Google the Type/Model number of the motor that interests me on Hobbyking and sometimes I find the same thing cheaper here in Germany! Shop/Google around😉
Cheers, Doug 😎

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 408
5th Oct 2018 22:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46794

This may help.https://www.robotbirds.co.uk/default/?SID=2e03407d3ced93e11f... log onto the RCME site (FLYING MODELS) and look at the list of associated suppliers for more. Robotbirds have wide range of motors Many of which have variations of the same type. A really wide choice. Quick,reliable, friendly and very knowledgeable.Have a look. I've had very good results with them.👍
BTW Component Shop is also in Wales. Llanllechid,Bangor.👍😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Oct 2018 23:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46800

Doug, weren't GiantCod an electrical goods company like Bang Good? I used to read of them, but never used them. Suddenly went nappoo.
2mm is unusual, but there they are and I had no trouble finding females for them. The motor is one of those little jobbies with a rotating can. Born to be used in a scale outboard motor with a dummy bit where the cord goes to pull start it. But then, where would you take the drive out of it (thinking aloud)? I have seen such a motor used in a heavy 3 footer which apparently planes, so my 2 footer with a step should be fine on 3 S. If it is, my other two similar boats will get similar set-ups. I had an Emax version of it, but gave it away, but they are still around and are only 7 quid.

Thanks for the link, onetenor. Interesting range for sure and my little emax CF for 7 quid so I may well be talking to them, in the future. Although we're seeing the end of the boaty season soon. I might stay with them and get some finished for next Spring/summer.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Oct 2018 00:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46801

Never erd of 'em Mate!
So you've got an Inrunner, lotsa revs but maybe less torque than an 'equivalent' size Outrunner. Be very interested to see your running results.
Cheers mate, Doug

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Oct 2018 12:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46808

I do have an inrunner, Doug, for my CNC outboard, but the one we're talking about here is an outrunner as it's the outside that spins and the innards which are bolted to a thick bit of aluminium.

You can get the idea from the picture. My dear bride has just bought me an early Christmas present of a new camera which, I hope will take pictures clearly when the sun isn't shining. So my pics should improve soon.

Martin