Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
February 2019: 8 people
January 2019: 16 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (21)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Equipment wire
Equipment wire
(1190 views)
MouldBuilder
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 34
2nd Nov 2018 20:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47664

I am currently working on a few projects at a time. One boat, a Police Launch, has several working lights that I have aded as extras. I have quite a bit of available room so I have used 7/0.2 equipment wire for all of the LED`s. For my Pilot Boat, I have very little room to run the wires and so will have to reduce drastically.
I cannot seem to find smaller wire which leads me to believe that I am looking in the wrong places.
Please can I ask for advice as to which wire size I should be looking for and where to look for it. I like to colour code the wires also to make fault tracing easier, so multiple colours would be an added bonus.
Thanks.
Peter.😊

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 468
2nd Nov 2018 22:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47672

Hi Peter, I use gpo telephone wire, the black outer cover has either 3 or 4 pairs of colour coded wire, it strips and solders very easily. I usually ask a bt engineer for offcuts when I see them working in my area. The od of the outer cover is about 8mm. The individual wires are about 1.5 od over the cover.
Hope that this will help you.
Cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
MouldBuilder
(Admiral)

2nd Nov 2018 22:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47674

Thanks Colin.😊

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 508
3rd Nov 2018 09:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47682

Have a look for intruder alarm wire comes in 4 and 6 core and is stranded as opposed to solid wire which a lot of the telephone wire was ( dunno if it still is)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alarm-Cable-6-Core-White-Intruder...

if you need thinner still ( and unless the wire is supported VERY well I advise against it ) use wire wrapping wire.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-25mm-Wire-Wrapping-Wire-30AWG-C...

hope this helps

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
gerritv
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 12
3rd Nov 2018 13:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47687

The inards of USB cables is very small, and stranded. Often available for few $ at thrift shops.
I find WW wire (30ga) plenty robust for most things, used it a LOT in the 70's for backboards on mainframes. Solders very well. If the runs are long-ish then add a clip every few inches for support.

If you need really really thin then magnet wire would be your next option. There is solder-able stuff available where the insulation dissolves under high temperature. Insulation is otherwise quite robust.

Restoring a 1:72 HMCS Athabaskan (G07)
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2553
3rd Nov 2018 14:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47688

Redundant computer ribbon cables are also a good source, providing many colours. Even the connectors are useful for non essential stuff like lighting.
😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
gerritv
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 12
3rd Nov 2018 14:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47689

Just to provide some more specifics on overall diameter, I have WW wire that is 30ga but the insulation adds variable amounts to that. E.g. one is 0.43mm dia, another is 0.75mm diameter.
The solder-able wire that I use is 0.15mm diameter. That is available here: http://www.roadrunnerelectronics.com/epages/BT3782.sf/en_GB/...

I still occasionally wire prototypes up using the Vector P173 wiring pencil :-)

Restoring a 1:72 HMCS Athabaskan (G07)
MouldBuilder
(Admiral)

3rd Nov 2018 16:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47690

Thanks for all of your help. I will check out all of the above and report back.
Thanks again.👍😊

b111yboy71
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 3
3rd Nov 2018 18:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47691

Hello, try looking for old 25way data cables at your local car boot sale. The cores are multi-coloured and very thin. Most LEDs only use a breath of current to drive them so you won't start a fire! Here's a tip about dropper resistors for LEDs: put them at the power supply end where you can tie them down securely. Also, the formula for finding the resistance you need is: R equals Volts(supply) minus Volts needed by LED (Vf) divided by the required LED current (If). So, say 12V supply, 2V LED wanting 15mA = 12-2=10/.015 = 666.667, so you'd use the nearest value above, which would be 680ohms. Easy! The size of the resistor in watts/milliwatts is found by I(current) times E(volts), so 10X.015=.15W, or 150mW. Hope I'm not teaching an old sea dog new tricks!
Starting a new Firefloat - oh boy.😲

b111yboy71
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 3
4th Nov 2018 11:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47707

I had an email from 'Haverlock' making the point that 'my' formula is no good for motors, etc. I agree. I did state it was for LED supply resistors. I found several references to this formula among which were 'Sparkfun' and the book "Introduction to Analogue Electronics". Any dissenters should take it up with RS - that's where I found it about 40 years ago. Case closed.

timgarrod
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 27
4th Nov 2018 19:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47712

Another good source of cable i use are network cables. pain to strip but each one has normally 8 cables inside.

http://alvastonpiratesmodelboatclub.co.uk/
jdr
(Apprentice)

Forum Posts: 1
4th Nov 2018 20:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47715

Hi mouldbuilder, have you tried a company called CPC? They seem to have a sister company called Farnell.Maybe 1 L? Hope this helps you out.Good luck

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 506
5th Nov 2018 22:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47763

Try here for your wire and anything else. Brilliant service and advice.
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/👍👍