Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (10)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > fuse holder
fuse holder
(625 views)
teejay
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 47
20th Nov 2018 22:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48151

Hi all , can any one recommend a fuse holder type for RC boat , I have tested the schenllboot in the testing tank got all three working but intermittently , motor 1 fuse blown motor 3 smoking ,its a 15 amp 7.2v system.my aim is to replace Halfords fuse holders with ones more suited to model boat cant find any on internet which are specific for model boats , also planning to change wire for mtroniks wire for the fuse holder, programing the ESC works better doing one at a time

teejay
(Commander)

20th Nov 2018 22:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48152

Hi all , PS the fuses in the system where 10amp as recommend by mtroniks

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 556
20th Nov 2018 22:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48154

Hi TJ, I use spade connectors, sized to fit car type spade fuses, they are available in different colored and sized for different cable thickness. This is ok for inline fuses. look on ebay for fuse blocks for car accessories, they come in different sizes depending how many fuses you need

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
steve-d
(Lieutenant)

20th Nov 2018 22:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48156

Try something like this or others from the same supplier.
https://polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Power-distribution-fusebox-f...

Steve

mike_victoriabc
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 4
21st Nov 2018 05:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48167

Have you looked at the Action ones - now Component Shop fuse holders? I've put them in a number of boats and no problems.
Good bunch to deal with as well.

b111yboy71
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 3
21st Nov 2018 10:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48173

I had a look at my suppliers, and found this in Amazon(!). Any good? "DIGITEN waterproof In Line standard Blade Fuse Holder fuses+10A 10Amp kit car boat bike".
Good luck with your testing!

Manofkent
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 6
21st Nov 2018 12:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48177

I agree with using the ones from component shop. They do single and two gang and as well as using auto fuses (Halfords) the holder has an led that shows red or green depending on motor rotation direction.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2484
21st Nov 2018 13:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48179

Yep!👍
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/p95-indicator-fuse-boards-si...
Spec attached as pdf.
Strictly speaking the LED simply indicates the polarity of the voltage applied to it. Which way the motor turns depends on how you wired it.
But it does help with setting up the wiring and response to TX throttle stick.😉
Easy enough to make though, as I did for my Sea Scout.
See pic of 'Engine Room'.
Or the Taycol field motor converter boards I've made for Martin and Colin. Two fuses are fitted; one for the field coil, one for the armature.
Last two pics. Resettable fuses (contact breakers) are also available to fit these holders. Cheers, Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 57
21st Nov 2018 14:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48183

Do those boards follow the circuit diagrams on the Taycol web site? I seem to remember that you said you had 'refined them slightly'?

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Nov 2018 14:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48184

Hi Dodgy,
The board for Colin's Supermarine yes. After I modified my original version when I discovered excessive heating effects during initial trials.
The 'little ones' I made for my Taycol Target no, not quite!
Will publish details, with wiring diagrams and test results, in the relevant blogs shortly.
Cheers, Doug 😎

DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

21st Nov 2018 20:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48196

Thanks - I'd be very interested...

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Nov 2018 20:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48198

OK Roger Wilco Dodgy,
Which Taycol(s) do you have?
😎

DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

22nd Nov 2018 15:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48223

All of them.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Nov 2018 16:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48225

Wow! How did you manage that?😲
Must be worth a small fortune if they're in decent nick😉
I'm turning into a green hulk!
Cheers, Doug 😎

DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

23rd Nov 2018 09:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48243

Well, perhaps I exaggerate a bit! I haven't got an example of the twin-output Comet that was mentioned in the 1956 line-up (and which i suspect was a short-lived prototype). But I do have a Marine, which is similarly rare...

Ianh
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 15
24th Nov 2018 10:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48260

Try the 3M scotch ones suitcase type in line and take blade fuses
I use RS components here in SA.

Only old in years not mind or soul.
teejay
(Commander)

24th Nov 2018 20:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48291

Hi all thank you all for advice and comments , I have had a good look at all the suggestion and decided to go for the 3m scotch suitcase type and I will let you know if they are ok.
now I have a question for all when choosing motors should you chose a voltage rating equal to the of the battery or higher then the voltage of the battery

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 556
24th Nov 2018 21:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48292

Depends what type of motor you want to use. If using a can type dc motor only power to the recommended battery, usually shown on the motor casing. If going brushless, again they are rated to battery size, ie 2s, 3s, etc, but the motors are a lot more flexible as to battery output. Some can cover 3 or 4 battery sizes.

Etherow Model Boat Club
DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

24th Nov 2018 21:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48293

Depends how fast you want it to go!

Electrical kit is either rated continuous or intermittent. Continuous ratings are usually conservative - you can exceed them somewhat - but they also assume decent cooling. The inside of a boat is usually sealed, and so is poor for cooling unless specific provision is made.

Chinese ratings tend to be a bit unreliable - and watch out for cheap kit with phenomenal specs that are only achievable if you plunge them into liquid nitrogen!

I typically run my 12v rated brushless motors at 7.2v. That way they just get a bit warm in a sealed boat and need no cooling.

For brushed motors the brushes tend to be the weak spot if you put a lot of amps through them. Check your motors for heat after a run and you'll soon find out if you're mistreating them...

If you're thinking about Taycols, the smaller ones were definitely brush-limited. Though the bigger ones are typically rated at 12v, the initial review for the Standard reckoned it could take 20v or more. Open frame motors are easier to cool. But I wouldn't like to guarantee the paxolin bearings if you did that...