• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Forum
    Search
    Jump To:
    All Categories
    Hobby Chit Chat
    Non-Hobby Chat
    RC & Electrics
    Building Related
    For Sale/Wanted
    Website Related
    General Resources
    Page 1 of 116
    >>>
    Coming soon.
    Lovely boys ! The days when political correctness was dead and life was more fun (as apposed to being afraid to say anything for fear of offending someone) Monty Python were the best I reckon, saw the last show on the box,- Massive crowd there to see them off !
    48 minutes ago by ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ jbkiwi ( Warrant Officer)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    49 Posts
    54 Likes
    Started
    8 days ago
    by Martin555
    Latest
    48 minutes ago
    by jbkiwi
    Dual ESC & Mixer
    I have 2 of the Action-Electronics P94โ€™s and they work great, a neat package containing 2 20amp ESCโ€™s and a rudder mixer, problem is there so erratic in their availability, anyone aware of an alternative? Iโ€™ve used separate ESCโ€™s and a forge electronics mixer, works but not as neat...
    2 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Shopper ( Petty Officer 1st Class)
    RC & Electrics
    1 Post
    0 Likes
    Started
    2 hours ago
    by Shopper

No Replies Yet
    Help identify
    Hi Sidley, Glad I could help resolve the mystery ๐Ÿ˜Š Clue was the most unusual structure of the foredeck. I'm pretty certain that this 'one off' never ever wore the number 1258! I've not seen any other versions with this foredeck structure. Which of course doesn't necessarily mean they didn't exist! I can only assume that the model builder used the Pennant number 1258 from sheer nostalgia for a boat he may have served on, but 1258 sure wasn't built like the model you have. Whatever, have great fun sailing her, post some pics / videos when she's finished please ๐Ÿ‘ All the best, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    14 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    9 Posts
    5 Likes
    Started
    3 months ago
    by sidley70
    Latest
    14 hours ago
    by RNinMunich
    Pond Weed
    try dyofix lake shadow it's a concentrated food dye will not harm anything living in the pond except the weed we contacted one of the weed clearance company's would have cost ยฃ1000 just for them to come and look they told us to use it as most of the large golf clubs do if you look on their website there is a calculator to tell you how much to put in but I think you can only buy it by the kilo if you get any on cloths it will wash out as I have done it several times
    15 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง scout13 ( Leading Seaman)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    2 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    3 days ago
    by Tall Paul
    Latest
    15 hours ago
    by scout13
    Hints and Tips.
    I like your tip, it reminded me of the way I have used cycle spokes as drive shafts, the spoke nuts are usually plated brass so can be used in brass props by drilling out then silver solder the nut into the prop after removing the plating. Cheers Colin.
    19 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Colin H ( Lieutenant Commander)
    Building Related
    97 Posts
    204 Likes
    Started
    1 month ago
    by Martin555
    Latest
    19 hours ago
    by Colin H
    Prop size and speed
    Thanks for the information, will read your blog i think i found a method to line up the prop shaft with the motor. Getting the right angle. Measures the motor shaft then prop shaft tube. Got the difference 1.550 in, then measurer the motor dia. Took the difference and came up with .620, so I put a piece of .625in wood 6-inch-long, on the tube and put a ruler (scale) on top of that. Put the motor in line with the rule and it all linen up, so I got the angle right, and made adjustment to the motor mount, shimmed it till it was right. Then measure that and make a piece to fit. The motor helped with the magnets in side holding on to the ruler. I have tried several way to get this angle and measuring didnโ€™t work of me, or just a piece of tubing over the shaft,,, just not getting the right angle. Maybe this will help someone in setting up there motors. Now Iโ€™m going to finish up the placement of the batteries fuse, power disturbing boards, ESC and wire everything up and see if it WORKโ€™Sโ€ฆ
    22 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ samc ( Leading Seaman)
    RC & Electrics
    15 Posts
    23 Likes
    Started
    13 days ago
    by StuartE
    Latest
    22 hours ago
    by samc
    sea rover build and I hate wood!
    thanks Rob, I was thinking it was going to have to be soaked, which would have been a pain! Ill heat gun, once the skins are on, and the hull is glassed, it should be back to the territory I like!
    2 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง pmdevlin ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    Building Related
    4 Posts
    3 Likes
    Started
    2 days ago
    by pmdevlin
    Latest
    2 days ago
    by pmdevlin
    Cheap easy anchors
    Scroll down to page 17 here and you will find some shapes to cut out to make a Byers-type anchor... http://eezebilt.tk/OSA-1.pdf
    3 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง DodgyGeezer ( Warrant Officer)
    Building Related
    2 Posts
    6 Likes
    Started
    3 days ago
    by jbkiwi
    Latest
    3 days ago
    by DodgyGeezer
    Air Sea Rescue Launch 123
    If they are the same as Doug posted a little while ago, they only show total volts for NiMh (only a pos and neg plug). The only way you could get individual cell voltage would be to have the cells wired similar to LiPos with check/balance wires from appropriate points, but I don't know if there are any checkers readily available. You could re wire a pack to a multi plug so you could check individual cells with a multi meter perhaps. Doug will probably have a better idea being the tech man. The problem with NiMh cells is there can be large numbers in a 'pack' (as against LiPos which have purpose designed chargers and checkers with JST-XH leads for 1-10 cells) and if there is a dud cell in the middle you won't know till the battery keeps dropping its' charge quickly when not being used.
    3 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ jbkiwi ( Warrant Officer)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    14 Posts
    11 Likes
    Started
    9 days ago
    by Will-I-Am
    Latest
    3 days ago
    by jbkiwi
    Eastleigh ... visits
    2019-06-19 Wednesday Us scale members are visiting SAIL members this Wednesday. 2019-06-23 Sunday Us scale members back visiting scale pond at Highbridge Farm. Usually 10 am to 12 am + Regards, Tall Paul.
    3 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Tall Paul ( Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    Jun
    Jun
    0 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    3 days ago
    by Tall Paul

No Replies Yet
    water is wet and so was I.
    Hello again Iโ€™ll experiment with various options I have in mind and see what I can cope with. With hindsight I wish Iโ€™d spent more time on the window openings before I assembled the cabins as this will affect the frames Cheers brian
    5 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Brianaro ( Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    47 Posts
    40 Likes
    Started
    10 days ago
    by Colin H
    Latest
    5 days ago
    by Brianaro
    Aerokits Plans
    Rookysailor wrote .....Your quite correct there Doug, this blog has been here months ago, and there were lots of moans about the plans being wrong, I never had problem with them, but have been building years๐Ÿ˜Œ I think Don will be pleased as I have just been on his website, and he has the plans for both the Sea Nymph and the Sea Urchin, which Don said he was after.๐Ÿ˜ I also found his plans were fine , they photo copies of the original, the problem was the hand drawn frames which he said were accurately drawn , they were abysmal , Stevie Wonder could have done a better job , but as the Urchin is so small I have ordered a set of plans from him and will loft my own frames from the plan and side views
    5 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง donrecardo ( Able Seaman)
    Building Related
    15 Posts
    8 Likes
    Started
    6 days ago
    by donrecardo
    Latest
    5 days ago
    by donrecardo
    Guidance for newcomers to the site :-)
    And I was just getting used to it!
    5 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ jbkiwi ( Warrant Officer)
    Website Related
    32 Posts
    18 Likes
    Started
    6 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Latest
    5 days ago
    by jbkiwi
    Can anyone help please?
    An answer to your question about any damaged or burnt wiring. The black lead from the speed controller to the RX was completely burnt through, however the receiver has worked fine since i replaced the speed controller.
    5 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง andyhynes ( Leading Seaman)
    RC & Electrics
    16 Posts
    15 Likes
    Started
    12 days ago
    by Brianaro
    Latest
    5 days ago
    by andyhynes
    Direction finder aerials /water pumps
    OK Martin, But what should we put in such a guide? Who can predict the myriad of potential difficulties / finger troubles new users may have? Let's do a quick poll! I'll stick up a new thread in the 'Website related' section where all you good folks can post what you are having trouble with. Then we'll see!๐Ÿ™ˆ Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    6 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Building Related
    23 Posts
    22 Likes
    Started
    9 days ago
    by Elsrickle
    Latest
    6 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Reversing Field-Wound motors
    You're right Dodgy! I do have some issues, at least with the circuit diagram. But 'I see where you're coming from' - I think๐Ÿค“ More later when I've dug a bit deeper. Cheers, Doug.
    6 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    RC & Electrics
    7 Posts
    2 Likes
    Started
    6 days ago
    by DodgyGeezer
    Latest
    6 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Battery backup
    Hi DodgyGeezer, That sounds interesting. Martin.
    6 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Martin555 ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    Building Related
    39 Posts
    35 Likes
    Started
    9 days ago
    by Martin555
    Latest
    6 days ago
    by Martin555
    Charge multiple 7.2v NiMh batteries
    looking for the best way to charge multiple 7.2v NiMh batteries at one time without having to buy a chargers for each battery. (trickle charge). right now I have (6) 7.2v and (5) 8.4v (4) 6v batteries. to get charged after a days playing. - Venom brand, deens connectors - scale ships - AMYA sailboats
    7 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ tgilchristjr ( Able Seaman)
    RC & Electrics
    1 Post
    1 Like
    Started
    7 days ago
    by tgilchristjr

No Replies Yet
    AERKITS SOLENT LIFEBOAT
    Thanks to one and all who responded to my cry for help but I have now managed to get the plans etc via eBay. Thanks again.
    7 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง stuartbell3553 ( Recruit)
    For Sale/Wanted
    9 Posts
    2 Likes
    Started
    12 days ago
    by stuartbell3553
    Latest
    7 days ago
    by stuartbell3553
    Waveney class lifeboat
    Have a look at "The Scout" thread under Harbour - should answer your question.
    7 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ redpmg ( Petty Officer 1st Class)
    Building Related
    2 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    9 days ago
    by Jerry1
    Latest
    7 days ago
    by redpmg
    HAZELGARTH
    Good news Colin๐Ÿ‘ How's the Commander getting on? Blown up the Supermarine yet? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    8 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Building Related
    12 Posts
    7 Likes
    Started
    11 days ago
    by Martin555
    Latest
    8 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Help and advice please
    Gotcha! I know it as 'Hareesa' in Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. Or 'Revani' in Turkey๐Ÿ‘ The Rose Water points to the Turkish variant. Delicious๐Ÿ˜›, but I always feel a drive to clean my teeth after eating it ๐Ÿ˜ฎ You were right about the 'A' & 'E' anyway, depending on variant ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think we still have a 'Non Hobby Chit Chat' section somewhere on the Forum page. I'll check. Cheers, and Guten Appetit! Doug PS Yes the section is still there. Now called simply Non-Hobby Chat.
    9 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    RC & Electrics
    21 Posts
    31 Likes
    Started
    12 days ago
    by Gren-York
    Latest
    9 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Another boat leaves the yard
    Nice one Graham ๐Ÿ‘ Such tales warm the cockles of an old modellers heart๐Ÿ˜Š (0r was it last night's single malt?๐Ÿ˜‰)
    9 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    4 Posts
    10 Likes
    Started
    9 days ago
    by GrahamP74
    Latest
    9 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    SS Torrey Canyon
    I'm searching for plans (lines, body, GA etc.) for SS Torrey Canyon. Plans for the Torrey Canyon herself may be tough to come by, but I believe she was built to a common design? If so, does anyone have details? T'internet tells me she was an LR2 (any ideas if that is a class, or a specific design?) Suezmax (i.e. maximum dimensions for the canal) tanker built by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company and initially had an oil capacity of 60,000 tons, but was later enlarged (simply lengthened, with any luck?!) in Japan to 120,000 tons capacity. If anyone knows any more, or can even direct me to some plans, I'd be very grateful indeed! Many thanks Andy
    10 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Airtrooper ( Recruit)
    General Resources
    1 Post
    0 Likes
    Started
    10 days ago
    by Airtrooper

No Replies Yet
    Have I been Demoted
    Thanks jbkiwi. Another thing I have been getting wrong all these years. I could have saved myself gallons of blood loss if I had known that before.๐Ÿ˜
    10 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง MouldBuilder ( Warrant Officer)
    Website Related
    18 Posts
    33 Likes
    Started
    14 days ago
    by Scratchbuilder
    Latest
    10 days ago
    by MouldBuilder
    Vosper mtb 379
    ๐Ÿ˜Šthank you.the men I got are 1.35
    10 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Boats ( Recruit)
    General Resources
    4 Posts
    1 Like
    Started
    11 days ago
    by Boats
    Latest
    10 days ago
    by Boats
    First launch sailing of Frieghter " Neptun "
    Nice job.Will be good to meet up and run our boats once we find time to do it.
    11 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Donnieboy ( Warrant Officer)
    Building Related
    5 Posts
    8 Likes
    Started
    22 days ago
    by Ron
    Latest
    11 days ago
    by Donnieboy
    any lakes or ponds close to Dorking, Surrey
    That is a shame, have a word with the Crawley MBC (http://crawleymbc.btck.co.uk) the have the use of Tillgate park I think, if not try the Dabblers in Horsham (http://dabblers.co.uk) not a bad sort, You would be more than welcome to come along to the Swiss Cottage MBC we meet on a Thursday at 10.00 until 12.00 (stop for lunch) we are based at the Swiss Cottage Pub 34 Old Shoreham Rd, Shoreham-by-Sea BN43 5TD, we have a fun sail on the 15th from about 13.00 then dinner in the pub after. Fred
    13 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Fred ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    4 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    15 days ago
    by andyhynes
    Latest
    13 days ago
    by Fred
    First time on the pond for J-502
    Hi Ron, We're all guilty of not doing this with new kit, but I can only recommend, If summat's not doing what you want or expected- Read the 'destructions' ๐Ÿ˜‰ I noticed the same effect with my Sea Scout trials, then read the manual and corrected the problem in seconds! ๐Ÿ‘ Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    14 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    5 Posts
    4 Likes
    Started
    15 days ago
    by Ron
    Latest
    14 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Westbourne Models (Bournemounth)
    Here in Ontario one of the best hobby shops for RC boats and sailboats is going from having a retail store where you can see and handle the merchandise to a WWW store. They are the sole distributor of Dragon line sailboats and supplies in Ontario. http://www.leadingedgehobbies.com/webstore/wecs.php I like hand selecting my balsa-sheet materials which is getting harder to find a store with stock.
    14 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Ron ( Midshipman)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    5 Posts
    4 Likes
    Started
    15 days ago
    by andyhynes
    Latest
    14 days ago
    by Ron
    Page 1 of 116
    >>>

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info