Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 8 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 16 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (18)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > For Sale/Wanted > PS Waverley
PS Waverley
(5270 views)
Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 39
20th Aug 2015 09:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/18626

Good morning
I appear to be flogging the proverbial dead horse but just in case.... is anyone aware of a r/c model of the PS Waverley of Glasgow ? In kit form. I have been on the real thing a few times now but would love to build my own. I am aware I can get plans and a fibreglass hull but unfortunately to build from scratch if far beyond my limited talents.
Hope you may be able to help
Peter

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Derek
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 146
20th Aug 2015 09:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/18627

Graupner used to do a paddler named "Glasgow". But not sure of a Waverley.

hammer
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 61
23rd Aug 2015 09:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/18642

Google, Waverly Models, of Clevdon Somerset. They did a hull I think.

Don't be shy just reply
Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

29th Aug 2015 06:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/18734

Thanks for that will have a look, sorry for the delay been on holiday.

felix
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 18
3rd Oct 2015 09:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19235

HI Peter 501

Have you had any luck with your quest for the Waverley paddle steamer as yet ?, My son and
I are going to the pond on Sunday It is the end of season sail,

I will make enquiries with those in attendance, to see if any one has one they no longer use or
point me in the direction of one

Felix

Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

3rd Oct 2015 09:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19236

HI Felix
No still looking and yes I would appreciate if you could make any enquirers.
For such an iconic boat I can't believe how difficult it is to track one down.
Again thanks for your help and have a great day out at the pond.
Peter

jgs43
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 20
16th Oct 2015 16:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19441

You could try the Model Steamer Club.

http://www.sfmbc.net/page81.html

jgs43
(Chief Petty Officer)

19th Oct 2015 21:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19472

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=forum

Another link to try

Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

20th Oct 2015 09:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19476

Thanks again for the links have has a good look and appear to be a good site for paddle steamers but unfortunately not for the illusive Waverley , but will keep looking any links you may come across please pass them on I will be very grateful .
Peter

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 386
20th Oct 2015 12:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19480

http://clydemodelboats.co.uk/userimages/Paddle-Steamer-Hulls...

Shows a hull and semI kit dunno if its any help

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

21st Oct 2015 09:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19486

HI ahaverlock
Thanks for your link to clydemodelboats, as you say yes they do a fibreglass hull and plans for the Waverley.
Unfortunate to build scratch from plans is above my skill level, kits on the other hand I can easily manage.
But they are now developing a Kit version to go with the F/G hull unsure when it will be available but sounds promising have
sent email to see if they can advise on a time scale.
Thanks Peter

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Oct 2015 11:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19489

If you can build a kit ( especially something as complex as a paddle streamer) YOU CAN BUILD FROM A PLAN!!!

Just cut out all the bits and make your own kit.

As to marking out here is a tip use a copier to get an image of the part place that print side down on your timber and use a hottish iron. The glue holding the toner to the paper is heat sensitive so you transfer it to the timber.

Consider if you have a hull the hard part is done, you will make mistakes ~laughs~ your not human else.

You can make a part look at it figure out what's wrong and make another if need be.

One thing you need to believe is this unless your entering a model in a comp once its on the water no one will be close enough to spot what to you are glaring mistakes and you can do better next time.

I suppose this may seem like preaching but I truly believe that the idea is to enjoy making things and building from plans is one step nearer to the pinnacle of scratch building.

Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

21st Oct 2015 13:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19491

Hi
What you say makes sense and must admit I am now giving it serious consideration, will have to work out what tools I would need (only have the minimum) to build from kits and also were I could source the wood I would require as no model shops in my area, can it be obtained on the Internet. As far as tools I wouldn't mind spending quite a reasonable amount as the cost to build from scratch I would think would be considerably less than buying a kit. Will try and compose a list of tools perhaps a small type bandsaw
Etc. Telling the wife might be the next hurdle to overcome but what's life without some confrontation .
Thanks again Haverlock
Peter

jgs43
(Chief Petty Officer)

21st Oct 2015 15:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19492

Check out the "Clyde Model Boats" website.

He does a hull and paddle wheels to match plus a plan.

Looks as though he is developing a semi-kit which would presumably include the materials required but I have no idea how long it might be before that becomes available - http://www.clydemodelboats.co.uk/userimages/Paddle-Steamer-H...

paddle wheel kits - http://www.clydemodelboats.co.uk/userimages/Paddle-wheel-kit...

development - http://www.clydemodelboats.co.uk/Waverley-II-kit-development...

Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

21st Oct 2015 15:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19493

Hi
Yes have seen this and sounds just like what I'm after but as you said no date available when it could be available,I did email them but as yet no reply.
Thanks for taking the time to advise me it's much appreciated.
Peter

neilmc
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 23
24th Oct 2015 23:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19536

Sorry to gate crash this thread but thanks havelock for that amazing tip on transferring templates. I currently restoring my crash tender and struggling to replicate the from let window section - not now. Pete 501 I was the same as you no confidence in my skills and it is a expensive getting everything together but eBay and wilko 's are great places to start. Find a local model shop and treat yourself to some plywood a coping saw and files and away you go.

Learning more with each post
Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Oct 2015 00:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19537

I have not tried yet BUT I think it may also work if you use a laser printer. So you can design on your computer then generate full sized templates.

As to materials lite ply is available from many model outlets and can be cut with a scalpel. Balsa is easy to work light and once sealed takes a good finish.

Tools well ~laughs~ your not human if you don't have way to many and want even more

Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

25th Oct 2015 08:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19541

HI Neilmc
Absolutely no need to apologise this is the whole idea to get as much information as possible from fellow modellers,
As you said you also had little confidence at first but how did your first build from plans go? I think I have more or less decided to give it a go and got "permission" from her who must be obeyed to go out and spend some money on tools ETC.
When I do get started I will also start a build blog on here to let you all know how well it is going or not.
Thanks Peter

Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

25th Oct 2015 08:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19543

HI Haverlock
Thanks again for your support and encouragement, I don't have any model shops around here for materials but have found a few on line that are promising. Have been looking at a "Dremel Moto-saw"electric fret saw at about £80 That looks ok for the project don't know if you have any idea if it would be OK?
Once again thanks for your help
Peter

hammer
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 61
25th Oct 2015 09:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19546

Peter did you contact Waverley Models? There isn't much shown on the web site. You could phone I am sure he will be of some help. I see you have found "paddleducks" If you go forum, construction, then Duke of Devonshire, you can see how I built one of my two paddle steamers. The other being the Glen Usk. Both built from photographs.

Don't be shy just reply
neilmc
(Lieutenant)

25th Oct 2015 10:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19550

HI Pete
I'm currently using plans purchased of eBay to restore my crash tender as most if the ply had delaminate. Got a little blog going at moment which needs updating. I got a second hand scroll saw off eBay again for 40 and used the videos on you tube - scroll saw cutting for beginners to see how to use it. I found olson blades to be the best ones for my saw and have had some good results but found getting a straight line really hard so now use two pieces of wood in a vice to clamp the ply and then file it to attain a pretty good line. I struggled with the long runs as the length of cut isn't that great from the blade to the back of the plate but coping saw and a file has sorted that for me. There's a site on ebay that does A3 pieces of ply to practice on and are really cheap if you're struggling for a local shop.
The waverley is an amazing vessel as I've been on here twice once in Helensburgh Scotland and Portsmouth.
She that must be obeyed is definatly the first obstacle mine even allowed me a shed he he.

neilmc
(Lieutenant)

25th Oct 2015 10:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19551

HI Haverlock
Have my templates in my work bag and will give it a try as our copier is a laser printer copier so hopefully it will work as wasted a couple of hours at this trying to trace to cardboard and cutting it out to find it all a little bit rubbish.
Agree with tools needed and a shed to keep them I now find myself buying tools on a whim just because they may come in handy at some point lol

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Oct 2015 11:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19552

Lite ply, plasticard etc. can be bought on line with little problem.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/lite-ply.html

I have used them and I get what I order no problem.

As to scroll saws ~laughs~ I have never used one so no ideas if I have to cut normal ply I use backed saws ( razor saws are a godsend) a tenon saw is a must have.
Cutting curves well I suppose a scroll saw would work but I hack parts out then shape them using a plane and abrasives ( I find wet and dry to last n last) files may not be a cabinet makers cricket but I use them if they seem to be a good idea.
Dremel type cutting discs work.

Sorry but I just do what I can with what I have, not ideal but I have fun and that is what its all about.

Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Oct 2015 08:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19573

HI Haverlock
Just had a look at the Cornwallmodelboats site and appears to be very good with just about everything I would need.
Many thanks Peter

Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Oct 2015 08:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19574

Hi
Still working on the shed lol...... Also been on the Waverley about 4/5 times from Dunoon when been on holidays up there and I must agree as you say an Amazing vessel. The videos on youtube are very informative thank you for telling me about them.
It's going to be a long learning curve but now I'm retired have plenty of that and am sure I will get there in the end.
Take care Peter

Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Oct 2015 09:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19577

HI Hammer
Yes I did contact Waverley Models last week vie email but unfortunately have not had a reply as yet so think I will take your advise and give them a ring.
Have had a look on paddleducks at Duke of Devonshire and very impressive it is, if I could turn one out half that good I would be a happy chap.
Thanks again for your time and help.
Peter

dwedge26
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 12
25th Aug 2016 21:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23357

Did you ever get your paddle steamer? I have a Graupner Glasgow ready you run £180

Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Aug 2016 06:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23360

Yes I actually got the Graupner Glasgow from Cornwall Models last year but not finished yet due to bad health.
Thanks anyway.......Peter

dwedge26
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 12
26th Aug 2016 13:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23363

Okay, it was a long time ago and I have only just joined

Peter501
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Aug 2016 14:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23364

It was extremely kind of you to offer that's what the site is all about helping each other so welcome, as I said I haven't been well
enough lately but hope to get back on track soon. How did your build go and how did the finished model turn out?
Peter