Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 7 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (28)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > For Sale/Wanted > Build your own Mercruiser Bravo one, scale 1:5
Build your own Mercruiser Bravo one, scale 1:5
(1603 views)
blondie
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 4
19th Sep 2016 10:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23570

I was in need of a stern drive for a model I am working on so I made this, and have decided to share the possibility with others. for more info and building instructions check here:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/marine

and here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxABOJHD8_DKX1JwblRMa1JPeEE...

Attached Files - Click To View Large

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 319
19th Sep 2016 12:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23572

Extremely realistic comes to mind, is it a kit?
Never mind I answered my own question once I went to the website

"Fair winds calm Seas"
blondie
(Seaman)

20th Sep 2016 05:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23574

Well, I guess the answer is Yes, but No. If you buy all the parts in the parts list, print the instructions and put everything in a box you have pretty close to a kit, but no it isn't. Everything fits nicely together and only minor work has to be made to the parts. I would say the hardest part is to spray pain and get the finish right.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1356
20th Sep 2016 10:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23575

Very impressive. I did a quick costing at about £320 for the castings plus p&p from Europe. My last Shapeways purchase for a £25 oerlikon gun at 1:96 scale cost almost as much in transport costs.
The quality of the castings is excellent and I would agree that painting is not easy due to the plastic used.
It will be interesting to see the unit in use, please.

Live long and prosper

Dave
blondie
(Seaman)

20th Sep 2016 10:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23576

Tks Dave,
have not had a chance to run it on a boat yet. The short story is that I started a boat project many years back, but it came to an halt as I realized I would never be able to get it fully finished because there was no stern drive available that would fit. With 3D printing I got the idea to make a drive to bring the boat project back to live, and that's where I am right now.

The only test I have had a chance to make is when I put a hand drill in front of it and dipped it in the kitchen sink. It gave a very good push and almost emptied the sink when I ran the drill at max rpm.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1356
20th Sep 2016 16:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23578

Much is possible with 3d printing. I am keen to hear how you progress with the unit installed, so pleas post some video.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
blondie
(Seaman)

21st Sep 2016 05:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23579

Will do Dave, but don't hold your breath, I'm a slow builder. Its 17 years since I started the project and although the model was collecting dust for a few years waiting for the Mercruiser drive I expect it will be a couple more years until it is "floating".

Ole