Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 6 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 5 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (22)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > General Resources > Propshaft Bearings
Propshaft Bearings
(716 views)
AllenA
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 69
2nd Jun 2017 07:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29588

Recently needed some bearings to repair a drone and had real difficulty finding reasonably priced British supplier. Took a risk and ordered these little beauties from America. They are MR74 that's ID 4mm, OD 7mm, width 2mm. Look to be really good quality and cost only £11.76 for 10 from Boca Bearing Company, Florida. Incredibly they arrived from the States in only 6 days. Looks like I will be making my own ball bearing propshafts in the future. MBW may make an Engineer of me yet.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

rolfman2000
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 101
3rd Jun 2017 17:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29642

Must admit, I would love to run all bearinged propshaft on all my boats, but sadly, I wouldn't know where to start making them 😔

captaindoug1
(Apprentice)

Forum Posts: 2
3rd Jun 2017 19:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29647

Is there a prop shaft build that does not need greese

Midlife306
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 142
3rd Jun 2017 20:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29648

I bought a bearinged propshaft from China but I'd ordered it too long, I cut it to the correct length & Dremel'd the inside diameter until the bearing was a good tight push fit. Mine is made out of stainless tube with a stainless shaft, they should be easy to make, it would all be around selecting tube, shaft & bearings that would suit each other.
Cheers
Wayne

AllenA
(Admiral)

3rd Jun 2017 20:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29649

Sounds great Wayne. Can't wait to try.

AllenA
(Admiral)

3rd Jun 2017 20:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29650

Rolfmann2000. I am sure I have seen videos and descriptions on YouTube etc. The only real difficulty is solder the end without fouling the bearing.

rolfman2000
(Admiral)

3rd Jun 2017 21:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29652

I'll have a look now and let you know 😕

rolfman2000
(Admiral)

3rd Jun 2017 22:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29657

I can't find a single thing. Searched under rc boats/ model boats shaft/ rc boat bearings. Is there anything you could link to or suggest please ?

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1023
4th Jun 2017 00:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29658

Hi Rolfman,
I don't have a link, never looked for one!, but the the following observations -
1) it helps enormously if you own a small lathe, which I admit I do, and also admit not everyone does. 😉 Dremeling is OK - as far as it goes! BUT - a little offline (in the original mechanical engineering sense!😉) creates friction and vibration which negates the expense and effort to fit ball races in the first place 🤔 A lathe with a dead centre eliminates this source of error.
2) The ball race should NEVER be soldered or brazed. (When did you last see a car wheel bearing soldered or welded in?) Any process which includes applying heat to both tube and ball race can, and most probably will, damage the ball race, especially if it is one of the 'packed for life' types. You will boil the grease packing out of the race and possibly distort the rings.

Correct technique would be to machine the tube (on a lathe for accuracy) to a few thou less than the OD of the ball race. The machining creates a step inside the tube, with depth to accommodate the thickness of the ball race.
The end of the tube is then GENTLY heated and the ball race pressed in.
This should preferably be done on the lathe using the dead centre to ensure concentricity. When everything cools down you have a tight 'shrink fit'. No other 'glue' needed😉
BTW: I have been pedantic using the term 'ball race' because that is what Allen has bought and shown in his pic. A 'bearing' can also be a simple bush, which can be soldered or brazed with less problem than ball races BUT - needs even more care with alignment as it has no 'give' like a ball race! I am faced with exactly this problem with corrections to my Graupner Graf Spee where one shaft and it's bushes are out of alignment 🤔
I will most likely replace the bushes with ball races.
Hope I haven't discouraged you but I wondered why you went this way!
Good luck, Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living!" i.e. boat modelling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jun 2017 01:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29659

@ captaindoug1 (from Doug!)
Yes! You could use sintered bearing bushes. But I would still recommend fitting an oiling tube near the top end of the tube.
Cheers Doug 😎

rolfman2000
(Admiral)

4th Jun 2017 01:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29661

That seems far too much trouble for me. Especially as I don't have a lathe or any other engineering equipment. I seem to recall that years ago, high quality propshaft already fitted with ball races were available by mail order. Ive looked for them again, but can't seem to find them. I would have thought that with faster prop speeds, it would be beneficial to have bearings in the tubes. Thanks for the help guys. Best wishes, Dave W 😊

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jun 2017 01:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29662

Hi Rolfman,
Understand. Just wanted to appraise you of the possible pitfalls and disappointments.
It ain't quite as easy as it sounds! 🤔
Cheers Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jun 2017 01:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29663

Hi Rolfman,
There are still some suppliers around 😉

https://www.schiffsmodelle-shop.de/en/wellen-und-stevenrohre...

These are Raboesch shafts. I'm sure there must also be UK suppliers of Raboesch stuff. I hear they are also able to make 'specials' to your specs. 👍
http://www.raboeschmodels.com/index.php/en/

Cheers Doug 😎

muddy
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 10
4th Jun 2017 06:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29672

Hello, A Company called Jotika, used to sell ball raced prop shafts. They advertise in model boat Mag's.. Or just google "Jotika model boats", but better still telephone them, as they do not list every item available.. Regards Muddy....

AllenA
(Admiral)

4th Jun 2017 09:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29677

RNinMunich, Doug, Thanks for the detailed information on making a propshaft. Where there's a will there's a way.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jun 2017 11:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29681

Bon chance mon ami 👍😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jun 2017 11:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29682

Dave, without a lathe you could fiddle it!
As Wayne says choose the tube and bearing dimensions carefully so that the bearing is a tight push fit. Then use the shaft clamped in a vice as a guide to gently press the bearings home. Some gentle heating of the tube ends will help, for instance with the little gas torches used for soldering or melting sugar in the kitchen!! Crème brûlée anybody?? 😁
I have one of those and it's great for all sorts of jobs where some local heat is required. 😉 Cheers Doug 😎

Midlife306
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 142
4th Jun 2017 14:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29689

Took some finding but here is the one I got off eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111769817711
Enjoy👍
Cheers
Wayne

rolfman2000
(Admiral)

4th Jun 2017 14:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29690

Thanks Muddy and Doug. It just happens that Jotika is just down the road from me and we get club discount. So a visit is planned for later this week. It's nice when we can all help each other. It's what makes for a great club and website. Keep it up fellas. Very grateful thanks, Dave W.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jun 2017 15:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29691

I heartily agree 👍 As a Newbee with brushless motors I asked for some advice for a setup for my Sea Scout.
The 'electronic ink' was scarcely dry and I got the complete setup, a la Hobby King, from Canabus in Tasmania!!! 😊
Bits arrived this week 😉 Onwards and upwards!
Hope you find what you need at Jotika. Cheers Doug 😎