Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 7 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (28)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > General Resources > Denatured Alcohol
Denatured Alcohol
(1542 views)
octman
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 97
19th Jul 2017 11:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31303

I am trying to get some of this stuff to dilute my epoxy resin with. I understand that it comes in many forms, including methylated spirits.
Can anyone out there who knows these things advise me if they would all be suitable for thinning epoxy resin (Z Poxy Finishing Resin to be precise), or if there is a preferred version, and a source? If I used meths would the diluted resin be purple?

Chris

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1034
19th Jul 2017 12:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31307

Hi Chris, As usual the EU has had it's say on the subject:-
"The European Union agreed in February 2013 to the mutual procedures for the complete denaturing of alcohol:

Per hectolitre (100 L) of absolute ethanol: 3 litres of isopropyl alcohol, 3 litres of methyl ethyl ketone and 1 gram denatonium benzoate. "

The MEK should help the solvent properties 👍
Purple resin would look quite nice, different, ! 😉
But I don't see the colouring agent (methyl violet, AKA gentian violet) in this mix. Optional extra!
Cheers Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living!" i.e. boat modelling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 157
19th Jul 2017 12:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31309

you can thin apoxy using the boiling water method fill a bucket or sink with boiling water put your apoxy in a tin (old soup)lower it into the boiling water and the apoxy will become less viscose ,you have to work quick as it will thicken as it cools you can also use a Bain Marie boiling water in the lower pot resin in the top one and steam until the desires thickness(a bit like melting chocolate) by using this method you dont change the chemical structure as you would if you used acetone

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1356
19th Jul 2017 17:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31317

Hi Chris
If you thin it will change the structure as others have advised.
Gentle heat will result in the mixture becoming easier to work and apply as marky advises.
If you apply too much heat there is a danger of fire so tread carefully. if you do use heat you will greatly speed up the curing process so mix small amounts and apply quickly. A dry brush is recommended to mop up any runs.
In the recent hot spell I was using some to repair a fitting and the mixture was really thin and set in less than 60 secs.
I use Acetone to clean my pots and brushes and the odd spill but wouldn't use to thin the resin
Good luck and please post how you fared
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
octman
(Captain)

19th Jul 2017 17:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31318

I think this has got a bit off the track. I was asking about denatured alcohol, not acetone. DNA is ethanol and can be used to thin epoxy. see this You Tube video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujk-wBQDUSk

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2017 17:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31319

denatured alcohol is industrial methalated spirits it is still extensivly used in the printing industry a chemical supplier should be able to oblige ,my mother in law used to work in a chemists shop in the 50s and you had to sign for its purchase because of the consumption by alcoholics

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2017 19:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31320

You can buy a small pot from http://www.bonnymans.co.uk/products/product.php?productID=62...

I only mentioned acetone as a cleaning agent.

Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
octman
(Captain)

19th Jul 2017 22:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31321

Thanks Dave, I must admit I did misinterpret your note about your use of acetone.
In the you tube link he thins his resin down to the consistency of water, and it then takes about 4 hours to go off, which is what I want.
Looking at the Bonneyman website it seems you have to have a government authorisation to obtain some types of denatured alcohol. Their site also points you to the gov.org website which explains it all in full. Apparently for low volume users it is less restricted, particularly if you are a school!

Chris

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2017 23:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31322

Hi Chris ,spoke to the guy who orders the cleaning stuff for the work he doesn't use it but said hobbyists or small businesses can get up to 20L or less for personal use you would need a licence he gave me the address if your interested ,its National Registration Unit ,HMRC
Portcullis House
21 India Street
Glasgow
G2 4PZ
The form you need is Public Notice 473

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2017 23:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31323

and I thought the Germans were over-regulated!! 🤔
By the way, as far as I understand the myriad variations DNA is not necessarily Meths.
Most versions of DNA are solutions without changes in the chemical structure, and should not affect the basic structure of the resin as it (basically the ethanol) evaporates and leaves the original resin.
Happy licensing (and laminating!) don't get drunk 👍
Cheers
Doug 😎
PS Some DNA has acetone as an additive which DOES change the chemical structure of the ethanol. (Please don't ask me what it becomes 🤔 CIDK!)

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jul 2017 09:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31331

Hi Chris
Always happy to share my experiences.
Epoxy is basically a glue and whilst the aero boys like to use it with glass cloth to cover their wings because it bonds well to the wood and remains slightly flexible, my experience is it is dear, adds significantly to the weight, is difficult to apply evenly and has a nasty habit of running after application. We used on the large liners, having also seen the hype on U-Tube, and really struggled with the application.
If I was using this as a sealing coat with or without cloth then I prefer Polyester lay up resin which is cheaper, thin and easy to apply, has controllable setting time and produces a much harder finish.
Good luck with the registration, not sure I would want to get that close to HM Customs & Excise!
Happy building
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jul 2017 10:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31332

👍 Heartily agree 😊 On all points!
Once helped supply some Comms equipment for C&E patrol boats, that's as close as I need to get 😉 Happy sealing, Doug 😎

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 167
20th Jul 2017 20:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31344

SWBO buys my meths at various supermarkets and Pound stores and home bargains

Trillium
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 65
20th Jul 2017 22:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31347

Dave, one of the advantages of epoxy that should not be discounted is that it is almost completely odourless. THat is an especial advantage in places where the winter is long, cold and snowy, and painting and epoxy-ing has to be done indoors.
Roy

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jul 2017 23:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31350

Point taken 👍 also valid for Munich. 🤔
-25 and a metre snow (overnight!) not unusual, but not so often in recent years 😊 Doug😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jul 2017 23:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31351

Hi one tenor, 'M' missing?? Otherwise this is a new acro. on me 🤔

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Jul 2017 09:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31360

Hi Roy
Yes I agree, but if you are mixing with DNA and applying over a large area this may not be the case.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
octman
(Captain)

21st Jul 2017 10:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31361

When I have got the DNA and epoxy/polyester resin sorted out and I want to coat the inside of the boat, do I just do the hull, or should I wait until the deck is on?

Chris

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2017 09:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31371

Hi Chris
Probably easier to apply to the hull with the deck off. You should leave the deck join area clear to allow for the glue. The bottom of the deck will also benefit and I usually use a pencil to mark where the formers join and keep the coating off this area. If you are using epoxy for the coating and the joining glue this may not be a problem. Once the deck is on apply another coat over the joints to seal.
If you could a build blog would be welcome and helpful to other members, please.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
octman
(Captain)

22nd Jul 2017 11:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31375

Thanks Dave,
I will do a build blog when the model is finished. It is a Jenny by Aero naut. It is supposedly a simple model to make, and so far it is proving to be so, except for a few parts of the construction which are not very well explained in the instructions. If there is the possibility of misinterpreting some instruction, guess which method I use? It's only when I get to the next stage that I find I have gone wrong! I do read the instructions first but some parts are, to me at least, unclear. I have been able to overcome the problems I have created, although the model will only be 99.99% as per the plan.
I have some photos of the build so far but not a complete reference.

Chris

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Sep 2017 01:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33417

yes "M" missing Doug

octman
(Captain)

21st Sep 2017 12:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33425

I had a reply from HMRC stating that a change in the regs a few years ago allowed the production of meths without the purple dye. This is apparently CDA - Completely Denatured Alcohol. I contacted Bonneymans, the only UK supplier of this type of stuff that I can find, and they said that they had never heard of it, even after I had advised them of the HMRC advice.
I replied to HMRC, as they had asked where/who I had been advised to use DNA, and I also told them of the lack of a supplier of CDA.
Their reply was that they would not provide me with authority to buy DNA because I only needed a small amount, and CDA was adequate for my purpose. My interpretation of the rules was that small users, such as myself, did not need the authority anyway, but Bonneyman's seem to want this in writing.
So in the end it looks like I will have to use purple meths.
Oh dear.

Chris

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Sep 2017 21:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33439

If you drink it does it turn you in to a Purple People Eater 😲😉

nivapilot
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 14
22nd Sep 2017 14:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33470

I used "purple meths", for making my epoxy runnier, and I can tell you, that it works perfectly and , no, it doesn't make any difference in colour to the finished layers.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Sep 2017 00:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33488

Shucks 🤔 and I was looking forward to a whole range of lilac to Deep Purple boats! 😉

hallettoil
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 1
23rd Sep 2017 10:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33492

Gentlemen

DO please remenber that DA or Meths is Toxic.. WEAR GLOVES

I do a bit of French Polishing and I use Meths from B&Q or the local hardware shop.

I have seen the undyed available from Clock material suppliers but can't remember which ones. There's one in Bury I seem to remember that they mat stock it... Google it

G L O V E S....... don't forget. It's absorbed through the skin

pugwash1
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 5
26th Sep 2017 17:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33650

Hi, Over here in the US, I use DNA clear no colour to fire up my steam engines it is sold as fuel for camping stoves, I buy it by the gallon at hardware stores, is that possible over there?, I know you guy's are VERY over regulated but it may be worth a look at?.
.MF. ExPat from Manchester (I used to love the smell of meths used in my steam engine)👍👍

Trillium
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 65
26th Sep 2017 17:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33654

Here in Canada we are very happy that DNA is still available in the USA. It's not available here but fortunately a trip across the border solves that problem.
Roy

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 186
26th Sep 2017 22:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33679

Could it be the same fuel used for Coleman camping cookers, if so it is available in UK camping supplies shops. Cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
pugwash1
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 5
26th Sep 2017 22:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33682

thats right Colin, , works great as a solvent. if any steamers are reading, When the Coleman stuff burns it smells and gives of less heat that DNA from the True Value hardware store.
Have fun and get wet! 😁 Mark.

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Sep 2017 22:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33684

Meth Spirit is available on line

dennisw
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 43
27th Sep 2017 07:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33687

Coleman stoves can use unleaded petrol.🤓

dennis
octman
(Captain)

27th Sep 2017 13:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33698

My tin of Coleman's fuel says it is petroleum spirit UN1271, whatever that is. Unleaded I assume.

Chris

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2017 14:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33705

Nope, 'fraid not! It's a UN Dangerous Goods number!😲
No longer in use apparently!?
Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2017 18:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33709

Hi Chris
I have used Iso Propyl Alcohol as a solvent for many years and also to clean electrical boards and contacts. You need the industrial strength 99.9% as the rubbing alcohol only has 70% IPA.
It will thin most resins and evaporate leaving little residue, so will have little effect on what you are intending. It's freely available as HMCR are not concerned that it will be used in place of Alcohol, which carries duty.
We as individuals cannot easily buy denatured alcohol in the UK and meths contains other additives which are unwanted for your purpose.
Cheers
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2017 22:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33730

Octman I think that the Coleman's is lighter petrol. Not certain though. Does it smell like it? If the purple meth is used the colour won't be noticed

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Sep 2017 07:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33744

Odd!? I always thought Colemans was that lovely sharp yellow mustard!
Things have changed since I moved to Germany 😉
Don't fancy lighter fuel on my sausages 😲 or is that the new barbecue method these days??

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Oct 2017 16:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34386

As a footnote the Meths I use is usually Bartoline brand This page of contacts is full of info about a number of "SPIRITS" Click on and see iF ANY use to you.👍 Travis Perkins and other trade suppliers stock it in 500 ml, Ltr and up to 5Ltr sizes I'm told🤓

octman
(Captain)

15th Oct 2017 15:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34514

I bought the tin of Coleman's fuel for my camping stove(Coleman did camping stoves once, not sure if they still do). Has been on my shelf for quite a few years now so no wonder the UN number is out of date.
Onetenor, was there supposed to be a link in your last post?

Chris

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 12:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34548

Was there supposed to be a link in my last post? I can't remember my last post 🤔 Yes there was supposed to be.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=methylated+spirits&oq=Meth...

try this . Sorry 😋👍

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 403
16th Oct 2017 15:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34565

Meths is ethyl NOT methyl that's why you can buy it from supermarkets etc. without a whole load of safety warnings! Methyl alcohol is VERY VERY toxic and the safety equipment required ( by the book) includes face shields rubber aprons and respirators! The meths you can buy easily is not anything like as toxic and can be used with little risk ( just keep clear of naked flames and DO NOT DRINK IT)

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 16:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34567

Yes you are right. It becomes "Methylated"👍 with the addition of #methanol. That's why you can't drink it.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 16:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34571

Quite correct OT 👍
95% Ethyl alcohol (Ethanol), 5% Methyl alcohol (Methanol)!
Optionally with a splash of gentian violet to taste 😡
NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.🤐
Over here they call it Brennspiritus! Just discovered I can get at the local DIY warehouses 😊

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 16:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34572

Hope its OK to snif it as I used to have a pop pop boat in a cut in half lorry tyre and used lots of it to keep my boat popping. Your right about keeping it clear of flames. But hey I am surviving so far so perhaps no need to worry now. Not sure about the rest of me though!

Live long and prosper

Dave
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 16:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34573

Nice one Doug. Can you get Ether there as well. Pop Pop boats Dave ! Blimey that takes me back I had a friend whose older brother brought some back from Germany when I was a kid. He blew one up trying Lighter fuel in it.Frightened the life out of Elaine .She was the friend BTW.👍😁

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 16:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34574

Pop Pop boats 😲 are called Knatter Boot over here. I've still got one.
There was a brief resurrection of them here a few years ago, all made of old drink tins, mine is the classic red Coke tin. Would have pleased the submarine 'Tinman' on here 😉
Came with solid fuel pellets which reminded me of the old Jetex rocket pellets. Dangerous days but fun, cheers Doug 😎
PS Back in those good ol' days of yore, I remember the family using a Tilley Lamp run on meths to warm up the bathroom. Anyone remember those? Looked like a 50cm SAT TV dish with a miniature crab basket in the middle, which started to glow when you pumped it up! 😲

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 16:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34575

I wish someone would do Jetex again I loved them. Specially on little flat plate jet boats I used to make with balsa sheet. Real skimmers they were .👍 Yes Doug I remember them and a bigger posher version that sat in the hearth or in the actual fireplace with a sack stuffed up the flue to stop heat losses up the chimney. A bowl fire I think they were called and I don't think they were pumped up

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 16:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34576

So do I. I used to hang 'em underneath home made 2m wingspan balsa gliders for Rocket Assisted Starts! 😁
Seem to dimly remember a KeilKraft Quikbuild Hawker Hunter as well 😉
Lovely plane!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 17:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34578

Well, DID you ever??
Jetex ain't quite dead yet 😊
http://jetex.org/

Thinks .... maybe a Harpoon refit for my T45 😉😉
Now then let me see .. a little of my old nitro glow fuel .. some glycerine from the kitchen perhaps ? Micro GPS RX .. Hmmmmmm! 😉

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 17:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34582

been away for the weekend and just saw this and was going to suggest jetex.org when Doug beat me to it ,my brother got spare parts from them for a jet engined M.E some number or another .Cheers Marky👍

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 17:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34584

sorry, he got his spare parts from Free flight supplies ,seemingly you can get enough spare parts to build a near complete engine they also had Rapier model engines Marky

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 17:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34585

Must have been the 262!
I just discovered that Vintage Model Company does all these old jet powered kits now!
Laser cut of course, including my old KK Hawker Hunter. 👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 17:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34586

The engine isn't the problem - the fuel IS 🤔
I've still got my Jetex 50B the US version Dad brought back in '58.
But no pellets 😭

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 20:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34591

Aye there's the rub Doug.Wilmot and Mansour kept the exact fuel formula secret I believe . However it should be easy to find it with modern science techniques. But after the initial rush of nostalgia purchases from the likes of us would there be a market for them.I did the all sheet Hunter and painted it grey and put roundels and letter transfers on it. Did fly but had a glide like a landing swan.A semi controlled crash would be a good description of it. Which one did you put on 2 Mtr span gliders.100/ Scorpion I know one thing Doug .You and I should never meet 'cause we would spend all out time nattering. I think😁👍 Regards John .P.S. Can you get ether there from where you can get the meths ?

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 443
16th Oct 2017 22:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34598

RN. Dear god dont start mixing your glow fuel and Glycerine, thats Nitroglycerine, highly unstable, even to bump it could send you to your maker!!!! PS, had some old 50% nitro glow fuel in the shed for about 2 years, it had turned purple, almost pure nitro. Very slowly and gently added Methanol until it turned pale yellow again. Very dodgy
Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 23:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34603

Hi Mark, that was exactly the point! 😁
What's the use of a Harpoon without a bang!?😉
My fuel has gone purple as well 🤔 Nearly the same as meths!
Cheers Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Oct 2017 00:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34604

Hi John,
there seems to be a market for the 'one way' cardboard Rapiers motors, so why not for a reloadable Jetex?
Yep, I remember my Hunter gliding like a brick as well 😡
For the glider I only had the 50s, but the US version with the domed exhaust. Seemed to concentrate the thrust.
You may be right about meeting 😉 a few Triple Xs or similar would probably also get demolished in the process!
Re Ether, probably from the Apotheke (Chemist) not the DIY shop. But I have no need for it, or do I?
Think we'll get told off for hijacking this thread!!🤔
Cheers Doug 😎

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Oct 2017 00:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34605

Yes Doug we will get slapped wrists.Good point about reloading and I' ve got a domed 50b but I left it dirty after the last run .Combined with a bit of damp and the hole has corroded away round half the circumference.I'll try that Free Flight supplies shop. Tried getting onto Jetex forum but had to send E mail asking how. No form evident on site . With apologies to the mods for the Hi -Jack . If you need to say more go on chit chat or something. Cheers John Have a few forXXX me 👍

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Oct 2017 01:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34611

never tried one but these are touted as a replacement for a jetex 50 http://www.samsmodels.com/products/hardware/electric-flight-...

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Oct 2017 21:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34659

Hi Doug, Going bang was all about my worry. More bang for your bucks???? would hate to loose you for the forum just to see you disappearing though the hole were your roof used to be!!!!

PS, wonder if any of the security services have clocked our mixture discussion's??? might be a stern knock on the door soon!!!

Regards
Mark. (Free for now!!!!)

Etherow Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Oct 2017 21:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34667

Hi Mark, Thanks for your concern 👍 but don't worry, as I said that was only tongue in cheek musing / fantasising, although ..... 😉
Black powder for depth charge throwers is my limit at the moment

RE PS: that was also my concern 🤔 considering all the monitoring for 'keywords' that goes on these days.
Cheers (still on the loose) Doug 😎

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Oct 2017 21:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34668

if you want a convincing bang and a cloud of smoke have a look at magician's flash powder. A glow plug will ignite it !

http://www.tvandfilmsupplies.co.uk/ecommerce/search/pyro/pow...

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Oct 2017 22:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34680

Doug, if you spot a couple of big guys wearing crombies, dont run, they shoot first then apologize LOL

Etherow Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Oct 2017 23:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34683

Hi Haverlock, I already got some👍😉 From a German Magic Shop.
I have it in the 'Flash Paper' form so I can wad it for gun barrels.
And I still have the glow plugs from my heli and Zaunkönig days. 😉
Cheers Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Oct 2017 23:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34684

Hi Mark,
I've taken to wearing a black suit and dark glasses all the time just to confuse 'em 😉

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Oct 2017 23:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34686

Doug, you have become a furtive lurker, don't confuse your self please. LOL

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club