Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2018: 4 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 3 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (11)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > General Resources > upgrading Turnigy i6 to 10 channels
upgrading Turnigy i6 to 10 channels
(1567 views)
octman
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 110
2nd Feb 2018 11:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38160

Youtube has several posts about upgrading the Turnigy i6 firmware(or the Flysky i6) from 6 to 10 channels. All very easy and I have done it, but it has gone wrong somewhere. Everything has changed that should change except for one small part of the upgrade- the 4 extra channels do not work! The screen information shows they exist and the firmware shows that it has been updated.
Has anyone on this forum done this upgrade? If so, any ideas where I have gone wrong. I have reverted to the factory settings twice and still can't get it sorted, and it seems such a simple thing to do.
Frustrated.

Chris

robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 79
2nd Feb 2018 18:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38173

Hi Chris
Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I also plan to do the same upgrade shortly. I already have the ia10b 10 chan receiver and mini din to usb cable from Hobbyking but I haven't got round to doing it yet.
The YouTube videos seem to indicate that it's straightforward enough so I'm also curious as to why you have not been successful.
I assume you have downloaded the latest firmware from the github.com site?
Rob.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 550
2nd Feb 2018 21:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38177

HI to you both. Send a PM to Dave M, he is the electronic wizard

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1527
3rd Feb 2018 10:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38191

Hi All
I do believe you need to allocate the extra channels before they will work.
I don't have the Turnigy version but I believe they all use thye same basic software with different supplier splash screens.

My FlySky i6 is touch screen and under the functions screen there is a setting Aux channels. Select this and the screen shows
a box with the channel numbers, mine defaults to 5 but you can select any one of the 10 channels. I have an on screen button that when pressed takes you to the CH Type screen.
You can then select a stick control, switch control, variable control or one of the two key controls on the back of my TX.

Once selected the relevant channel will respond to whatever stick you have assigned.

You can forget Y leads as you can assign one stick to two channels.

Hope this helps.

Live long and prosper

Dave
octman
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Feb 2018 18:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38199

Thanks folks. I have assigned the various switches to their own channels, which is where the problems start, as, although allocated, the new channels are all "dead". Everything in the upgrade seems to have worked, except the lack of action when the switches are thrown. I still only have the original 6 channels.
The display screen, which shows bars moving left or right from a central point, has changed from 6 to 10, and as I mentioned above, the switches can all be assigned to channels, but on the display screen nothing happens when the switches are operated, and a servo connected to the receiver on any one of the new channels remains inactive.

robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Feb 2018 21:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38204

Hi Chris.
It looks like you have already posted an enquiry on the github site for 'benb0jangles' attention, let's hope you get a response to that. Meanwhile here's a YouTube video that shows a successful upgrade working with the ten channel receiver that I have bought so it does appear to work ok.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ilTsO74lg
Have you tried re-binding the tx to the new rx again after the update?
Rob.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2074
3rd Feb 2018 21:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38205

👍That's exactly what I was wondering Rob, but then I assumed that the original 6 channels were working. Cheers Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Feb 2018 21:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38208

Hi All.
I think I'll hold back on upgrading my setup until Chris has a successful outcome. If he's still having trouble I may bite the bullet and do mine to see if I can get it to work, at least the rollback to the previous firmware is a safety net, I wouldn't want to brick my system😱.
Rob.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Feb 2018 09:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38219

I suspect you may have to rebind the tx and Rx after the upgrade.
If the monitor screen on the tx is not showing any movement when an assigned switch etc is operated then there is a fault with the tx. My set does show movement for an assigned switch so it could be the upgrade didn't complete successfully.
It's possible that a reinstall will correct but you need help from someone with a Turnigy set as I believe they have modified the FlSky code for their own sets.
Good luck and please keep us posted with your progress

Live long and prosper

Dave
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Feb 2018 22:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38247

Hi Chris
One of my fellow modellers was at the lake today with a Turnigy type clone. Not touch screen so had the push buttons to set up.
He was having problems setting the end point and servo reverse.
Seemed to change correctly and pressing OK then cancel returned to the main screen. The setting however had not changed. Tried a couple of times with same result.
Third time I pressed and held onto the cancel button and the screen went blank then reappeared as the main screen. Bingo the changes had taken.
It would appear you need to press and hold the cancel button for a second or two to allow the internal chip to be programmed.
Doug has read the instructions which do not mention holding the button.
Your software update has worked as the display shows all ten channels. I do believe the final stage where you allocate the controls may need you to hold the cancel button to retain the settings.
Worth a try.
Please let us know if it works

Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Feb 2018 22:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38248

Hi Dave, you are correct, and actually that is mentioned, page 19 of the 2015 manual version.
Worked for me when I assigned the extra switches and pots to appropriate channels. Cheers Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Feb 2018 23:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38252

Hi Doug
I hope this works for Chris.
My fellow sailor Doug has a Turnigy clone, can't remember the name but I suspect it's a language translation or typo error. You have, I believe, the German equivalent of the Turnigy so I am not surprised that your documentation is more precise.
Such a pity that the translations often prevent users from achieving the full benefits of the otherwise very good kit.
I am switching most of my fleet to the FLySky from the Planet kit I was using. Still have the Taranis Plus for more serious control but the FlySky is great for everyday two channel models including yachts and seems to run for ever on dry cells (as did the Planet) so doesn't need charging each week.

Live long and prosper

Dave
octman
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Feb 2018 09:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38269

Hello again, sorry not been able to reply to the last few posts. I did the upgrade before I had ever done the binding. As I said, the display screen that shows bars moving in relation to the stick and switch movement shows all 10 channels, as opposed to it's original display of only 6, but using the switches, which I have allocated to the new channels, causes no reaction whatsoever. I bound the receiver(10 channel) and a servo plugged into each channel in turn only reacted to channels 1 to 6.
I have followed the various YouTube videos, (some are better than others), and cannot see that I have done anything wrong, but I will have another go in a day or two. Fingers crossed, or stick with 6 channels.
Chris

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Feb 2018 09:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38270

Hi Chris
I believe you have correctly installed the update as the screen shows the 10 channels.
When you allocate the switches etc to channels it's a two part process to save the changes, click OK then press and hold Cancel. If you don't hold the cancel long enough it doesn't save the settings.
At my weekly club sail I helped sort out A Turnigy clone and discovered what was required.
Doug (RN in Munich) has confirmed his Turnigy works the same.

Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Feb 2018 11:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38272

Hi Dave, yes you're right. My version is marketed by Conrad here in Germany under the brand name REELY and they call it the 'HT-6'.
It came with comprehensive manuals in German and good English on a mini CD-RM.
When I checked on the Conrad site (they have an excellent Downloads page 😊) I found an update from 2015. I had no problems completely programming the TX unit from this manual. The only error in it was in para. 16 "press the binding button on the receiver ..." when of course it is on the TX! But at least the photo legend was correct😉

If anyone wants a copy of the PDF file PM me and I'll mail it to them.

This reminds me of the discussion we had on this unit and clones / branding a few months ago!
When I looked on the Turnigy site I found only the half Chinese half English gobbledygook manual 🤔 which needs a lot of interpretation.
Penalty I paid for much better documentation was that Conrad price was nearly twice the Turnigy/Hobbyking price 😡
Good luck Chris, - if I were you I'd do a 'Factory Reset' and start from scratch step by step. Cheers Doug 😎
PS w.r.t. 'using what for what'
My Turnigy/Reely will probably be used for most surface ships.
Will probably use my Spektrum DX6 for the Catalina, and I still have the old Graupner MC-10 40MHz for the two subs where 2.4 gig don't woik 🤔. MC-10 only has two model memories so that fits!
Now what can I do with the old Sanwa 35Meg job??? 30 years old and still going strong 😉

octman
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Feb 2018 10:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38319

Hooray, it all works! Just that extra half a second on the cancel button was all it took. Phew!
Thanks to you all. It takes a bit of time but the penny usually drops.
Alles ist in ordnung Doug
Chris

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Feb 2018 10:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38323

Great stuff👍
Freut mich zu hören 😉

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Feb 2018 11:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38326

Hi Chris
Glad it's all working OK.
I suspect you will not be the only one who has struggled with this.

Live long and prosper

Dave
robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Feb 2018 20:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38344

Hi Chris.
Congratulations on a successful upgrade, I'll feel much more confident when I get around to doing mine.

Good call Doug 👍

Rob.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Feb 2018 03:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38350

No sweat Rob! 👍
Anyone else need a readable and comprehensive manual for the Turnigy i6 (or whatever your version is called!)? Just PM me.
Cheers Doug 😎

robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Aug 2018 19:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44792

I finally got around to upgrading my Turnigy i6 system from 6 channels to 10 channels today.😁
Happily the firmware update went like a dream and I was able to install a new 10 channel rx in my RAF Crash Tender and then reprogramme the new auxiliary channels to the functions I need.
And of course a long press on the exit button saves all the settings properly.....as we all know now 👍 😁

This has freed-up the previous six channel receiver which I now need for the new boat project which is now well under way.

Robbob.