Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (26)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > General Resources > Are these any good
Are these any good
(690 views)
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 462
20th Nov 2018 23:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48163

Are these any good --https://www.banggood.com/Paron-JX-D5301-Multifunctional-Ratc...

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2484
20th Nov 2018 23:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48164

Mornin' John, (Well it is here!)
I have something very similar and it works well, was using it tonight to make some test leads for Colins Taycol Supermarine, which is chuntering away behind me running in it's new bearings 😉
If you don't already have such a tool Go for it👍
Benefit of that one is that it has interchangeable heads for different sizes, Better 'n mine 😭
Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
ChrisG
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 22
22nd Nov 2018 15:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48221

Hello John
I got very similar from Maplins now sadly missed and they work well and look much like the tools featured on your website. Not sure they would cope with an 8 hour day 7 days a week but wonderful for the modeller. Not a bad price either.
Regards Chris G

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Nov 2018 05:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48241

Guten morgen meine freunde. An Munchen alles gute Ja? That'll do for now as my deutsch is not very good. I've tried to order the crimper but the Pay Pal will not go through for some reason. I'll try again later. Danke meine Freunde.👍 Which are better drills . Cobalt, titanium,or tungsten? I have a drill that will go through taps and drills but it is a bit too big for the job I'm doing. That's assuming I can ever find it again. I would order a smaller one but can't remember where from. It was ground to an odd geometry and cut in chips in low speed but high pressure.👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2484
23rd Nov 2018 08:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48242

Mornin' John,
Re drill bits: not really my field, as a 'lecktrickery eng., but to drill tool steel I would guess cobalt or at least titanium.
I'm sure one of the many Toolmakers on the site can correct me.

Good luck with the crimper. Advantage of that set is that there is also a versatile wire stripper with it👍

Alles in Ordnung in München, but bl***y cold 😲
All the best, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
gerritv
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 8
23rd Nov 2018 13:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48246

I buy my small drill bits from https://www.microscrews-shop.nl/ Excellent quality. I use them in steel and stainless as well as aluminium. For brass I dull them slightly and keep in separate box.
Are you drilling tool steel (aka silver steel) or High Speed Steel? Tool steel is no problem for the drills I buy above.

His hardware is also of excellent quality.

(I don't pay the VAT because in Canada, which offsets the shipping cost.)

Restoring a 1:72 HMCS Athabaskan (G07)
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Nov 2018 02:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48298

I'm thinking of using MASONRY drills sharpened up. I've seen a demo on U tube of this. Some yrs ago I got a set of those drills that are supposed to drill through anything. First one I tried now has a flat end.I couldn't find my membership no so can't send them back.Bugger😤👍. They have tips like masonry drills so might touch them up and have a go. It's the carbide tips that do the job. It'a allen screws I'm drilling so what is that HSS or tool or something in between?

gerritv
(Petty Officer)

25th Nov 2018 03:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48301

Those would not be HSS (which is rock hard in layman's terms). Any good quality drill bit will go through those. The ones from microscrews will work nicely.

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Dec 2018 01:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48571

I've ordered some Cobalt drills from Microscrews . Blimey aren't the postal charges a killer. About 6 Euros for 3 drills With VaT about 11 quid odd. Mind you they'll last a long time😋👍

gerritv
(Petty Officer)

4th Dec 2018 21:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48627

At least you have postal service, the clowns over here arranged for delivery backups of international parcels well into next year. Can't even order from most places outside Canada as they won't accept post from overseas for at least another month.

When I do get to order from EU/UK, I save the VAT but pay it on shipping :-)

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 555
5th Dec 2018 21:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48641

Hi Gerrity, you are suffering the lasting effects of Moya Green, she wrecked Canada Post, she has just left Royal Mail in almost as bad a position, we were told there was no christmas post date for Canada back in September

Regards

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
gerritv
(Petty Officer)

6th Dec 2018 00:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48643

Maybe but someone else had 8 years after her along with the union to get to today's place. Esp. in recent years the union demand history reminds me of Billy Connolly's Demands Keep Changing skit.

To the original poster, sorry for the diversion. I hope you are not disappointed in the drills!