Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
January 2019: 13 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 20 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (16)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Jetex
Jetex
(3141 views)
boaty
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 64
27th Jul 2015 22:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/18389

:Anyone for Jetex. (Or Rapier)

Back in 1962 when I was 10, I had a yellow plastic
hydroplane powered by a Jetex Atom 35. It was manufactured by D Sebel of Erith, Kent. D.Sebel at that time were the manufacturers of Jetex.

The boat was 6 inches in length and reached a claimed speed of 20 MPH according to the makers.

The demise of Jetex came in the early 1970s though it restarted 30 years later for a short time but not with the high quality fuel of the original. Also available at this period of time were the Rapier Rocket motors.
These later were discontinued due to legislation regarding them being declassified as a smoke generator and inclusion into the firework/explosive category.

However, there are still some Rapiers about, these being owned mainly by aircraft enthusiasts who have retained them for future use.
Around 8 years ago I tried one in a small speedboat, built of balsa and approximately the same length as my Jetex boat when I had in 1962.

It worked quite well and I wonder if anyone else has tried out a similar project.

I had thought of building a small Bluebird K7 to use up some of the Rapier L1 and L2 motors I have .

Also is there anyone who has built a boat powered by EDF, (Electric Ducted Fan). Perhaps it could power a bigger model of Bluebird.

Regards

Boaty 😊

😊 😀

Dave Keech
Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 506
28th Jul 2015 07:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/18390

Well how deep are your pockets?
if you want a bluebird model Ernie Lazenby has built one using a model gas turbine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2ANJAVRQpQ

I believe some one tried a ducted fan version with limited success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eZfbZzFkD4

so if you have deep pockets and a friendly bank manager plus access to a LARGE body of water and deaf neighbours you too can have a model bluebird that looks sounds and performs like the orriginal.

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
chrislang
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 84
28th Jul 2015 10:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/18391

I just remember that the Jetex pellets made wonderful smoke bombs !
😎

Although I think I had a 3/6d Keil Kraft Gloster Javelin that was powered by a Jetex 50 motor
Chris

change of address
Room 14
Mistley Manor,2 Long Rd.,Mistley,
Manningtree, Essex, CO11 2HN
Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Jul 2015 13:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/18393

I did try a boat powered by an estes "d" motor, not a resounding success , it took off and looped several times before the charge ended the fun.

However if your wedded to a " one shot motor" have a look at the smaller estes range.

tidtug
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 111
2nd Aug 2015 10:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/18441

Yes I also had the jetex in a javelin my favourite plane it looped the loop several times and landed in the river so that was that. What a good idea putting in a boat.is anything on the market like that now?

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Aug 2015 11:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/18442

unfortunately no there are no small replacement engines around. The aircraft people keep looking.

I keep wondering if someone will come up with a ducted fan ( electric) as a replacement.

The smaller estes rocket motors are a good starting point if you wish to experiment.

http://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/engines/mini/001505-a10-...

That is an engine intended for cars etc.
so has no ejection charge. I think the thrust would be WAY more than a jetex so could be interesting.

boaty
(Admiral)

2nd Aug 2015 11:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/18443

HI Tidtug

I have seen the occasional article ref Jetex boats about and there is a guy named Marcus Brooks who has some interest in Jetex and has made attempts to revive it.

Best bet for a boat at present is a scratch built job preferably a hydroplane type 6 to 8 inches in length and keep it light.

The original Jetex Boat I had in 1962 lasted 10 years but if you find one on E Bay it will cost an arm and a leg plus the plastic is likely to be in poor condition.

If you havent got a Jetex motor on hand you can always try to get the Rapier equivalent as there may be some enthusiasts who have retained some after production ceased.

As for your Gloster Javelin, Replikit produced copies of Keil Kraft and Veron Jetex models and there was an American company called Easy Built which produced similar.

For aircraft try SAMS Models website or Vintage Model Aircraft Company.

Regards

Boaty

Dave Keech
Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Aug 2015 00:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/18454

To add to the total insanity how about using one of these

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__34247__Hobbyking_...

then you can be REALLY antisocial

boaty
(Admiral)

4th Aug 2015 10:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/18470

: Boaty

Great idea that, using a pulse jet.

I understood that in the past this has been tried on tethered hydroplanes and certainly it would be cheaper than gas turbine units.

Nearest large area of water to myself, apart from the River Mersey is Bala Lake in North Wales but I dont know how the locals would react.

Only person I knew who sailed a model boat on Bala was in the late 1980s and the boat was a scale model tug.

Fastest model I ever had was a J.B Marine Hypercat in 1994/95.

This was powered by a water cooled Graupner 700 brushed motor running on 2 X 8.4 volt nicads with top speed being 35 to 40 m.p.h.

However, the boat met its end on Walton Hall Park lake in Liverpool when some debris fouled the rudder and it crashed into the concrete bank , took off and nosedived onto the footpath.

It did have a nice rooster tail and thrilled many spectators.

I have been contemplating getting another fast electric and wonder if a waterjet unit is available to give equal performance.

Boaty

Dave Keech
Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Sep 2015 14:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19132

Late BUT I was looking for something else and I found

http://www.samsmodels.com/acatalog/Section_F._Motors._Rubber...

scroll down and they do 2 different ducted fans they tout as replacements for jetex 50.

boaty
(Admiral)

28th Sep 2015 08:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/19178

😊 HI Haverlock

Many thanks for that info.

SAMS Models always come up with new ideas and I would certainly be interested in an EDF unit as a replacement for Jetex 50.

This has given me ideas about building a Bluebird K7 .

I could have done with EDF recently after my R.A.F Launch had to be recovered when a plastic bag fouled the prop.

I will contact SAMS to see whats on offer.

Regards

Boaty

Dave Keech