Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 7 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (9)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Hello and some initial questions
Hello and some initial questions
(401 views)
robc_wa
(Apprentice)

Forum Posts: 1
26th Nov 2016 08:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24500

Hello. I have recently joined the forum since I cane across it when trying to find out some info about the AerokitsKielCraft RAF Crash Tender model.
Something just less than 50 years ago I started building the 34.5 inch model, and never finished it. I even had an electric motor ready, a beautiful thing with an open frame, all red enamel and shiny metal, don't know what happened to it. Any way on a trip back to the UK to vist my parents ( who still live in the house they did then ) I removed the hull from the top of a cupboard in Dad's, fortunately very large, garage. Boxed it up and brought it back to Australia with me. I hope that now I am retired I may be able to finish it. I probably have rather better financial resources that I did then and will be able to afford radio control now. My main hobby is SM32 garden railways and I am amazed at how much easier RC is now than it was in the 60's. I seem to recall you needed a licence back then.
I may not be able to started on it right a way since I am supposed to be getting the house ready to put on the market, but I thought I would start asking a few questions, if you good people don't mind

Firstly, there seems to be no mention of marine Internal combustion engines on the forum. Is that deliberate or are they just out of fashion. I believe the Crash Tender was specified for up to 3.5 cc (I could not afford that hence the electric motor)

Secondly, I seem to have built some parts out of balsa (one side of the foredeck and a few other bits). I must replace those with ply. Do we just use standard birch ply like the aero modellers and (large scale railway modellers !) or is there a special marine version.

Thirdly, How can I get hold of a set of plans and instructions? I saw some on Ebay a few weeks ago but didn't buy them since I presumed this was someone who was printing on demand and they would always be available. I have since discovered differently.

I think that is enough for now. Thanks in advance.
I attach a photo of the vessel in her current state.

Regards
Rob

Attached Files - Click To View Large

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 388
26th Nov 2016 11:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24506

Hi Mate and welcome to the forum, the modeling of rail or boat runs side by side, modeling is modeling. Your first question about I/C engines is quite simple, noise and pollution, most boaters operate in country parks etc, Ducks, Swans, Fish etc, so got to be seen to be clean, pity because i love the sound of an ic boat!!!!

Your second question is simpler, draw round the balsa parts on lite ply or standard ply, marine ply would be the best but the standard once painted and sealed is just as good but a whole lot cheaper.

There is a guy who sells plans on ebay reguly, good quality so my club mates tell me.

Dont hesitate to ask your questions

Regards

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1228
28th Nov 2016 10:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24529

Hi Rob
Good to hear that we have another modeller returning to the fold after some years.
I have a 34" Aerokits crash tender and it goes as fast as any IC engined model using a small brushless motor with a LiPo 11.1v battery driving a 3 blade brass prop.
As Mark says IC has been largely abandoned apart from the very fast racing boats, some of which operate off shore so lees problem with noise and pollution.
As regards plans the original were more to help build a model from the pre-cut parts. ICs were the common power plant and the model was designed to accommodate such engines.
Your model seems to be in good shape and apart from the balsa deck, which you intend to replace, should easily make into a working version. It's a small model so you need to keep the weight down and lte ply would be my choice.
I have some detailed drawings of the original boat and if you send me a pm with your email address I will share these with you via dropbox - its free and you can view on line or download what you want to your PC.
I have attached a couple of pics of my model.
Dave

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Live long and prosper

Dave
canabus
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 52
28th Nov 2016 11:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24531

Hi Rob
Nice to see you into Aerokits boats.
I have built a Sea Hornet on the original plans.
Runs a brushless motor on 11.1 volt Lipo battery.
Very fast little beast.
I have a Sea Commander with a 3648/4 1100kv brushless motor on a 11.1volt Lipo battery.
The old girl is faster on this setup than an IC motor with reverse and no starting problems.