Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 7 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (4)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Engine Sound Effects
Engine Sound Effects
(755 views)
cormorant
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 162
29th Nov 2016 17:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24560

I am currently building a 49 inch Perkasa and looking for a realistic gas turbine sound effect.
Drspock has suggested I try www.modelsoundsinc.com.
The company has sent me two sound bites, which are superb and they have recommended their ShockWave2-1x4x4 sound system kit.
At a cost of £118 plus £45 shipping this is not a cheap bit of kit.
It comes with a pre loaded micro SD.
To add more sounds, the purchase of software at a further cost of £26.75 is required, but it will only work with windows. I am a Mac user!
Whilst the equipment is no doubt of the best quality and certainly the sound bites are excellent, I am wondering if an outlay of £165 for one engine sound is worth it.
Anyone any thoughts?
Steve

octman
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 84
29th Nov 2016 18:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24562

Next time they have a ground running event at Bruntingthorpe or Wellesbourne take your recorder and make your own. Should get a reasonable approximation I would have thought. Should be able to achieve something from Lightning, Victor,Buccaneer and Vulcan.( I think these are at these locations, certainly the Vulcan is at Wellesbourne)

Chris

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 318
29th Nov 2016 19:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24563

Hi Steve

Sure is a lot of money for sound effects, I have a Diesel engine sound affects in my tug serenity.
and when the tug is far out I can't here it! so is it really worth an investment of £165 is it!
That's practically half the value of another model. for that kind of purchase I hope it comes with Auto Pilot, LOL 😊
I would keep on searching the web, to see if you can find something more economical.
unless this is really what you want.

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 305
2nd Dec 2016 23:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24600

Alan Bond pretty much designed all of these, he did some work for me a bit ago, its first class, and being a fellow model boater he knows what we need, might be worth a call to discuss?

http://www.technobotsonline.com/model-engine-sound-effects.h...

cormorant
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 162
3rd Dec 2016 08:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24608

Thank you. I have just sent him an email.
Steve.

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 305
3rd Dec 2016 09:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24610

for info,

I wanted a very specific sound unit for my Jaws boat Orca. Rather than just playing engine sounds etc, I wanted to be able to select specific tracks, music, dialogue etc from the film. I got all I needed from the internet, and saved on an sd card. Using a free download to convert music files, (google "lame for audacity")I then found an engine noise that I was able to have on a continuous loop behind the dialogue etc.

I then got a soundcard from technobots, and Alan devised a trigger unit, meaning I can select the tracks from a vacant channel on my transmitter sticks. eg, if I want the Jaws theme music, I have to move the stick 3 times up, if I want some dialogue from one of the characters, its 4 moves down, and so on, with something like 8 each direction, so 16 choices in all

I am not tech savvy, and I found it pretty easy to do. The system is now several years old, so things have moved on, Alan will no doubt be able to help

Paul

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 386
3rd Dec 2016 18:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24616

audacity is a cross platform sound editor so I should think there is a version for mac computers.

Bluetooth speakers are cheap enough and come with amps built in

sounds can be recorded and used as a playlist on a smart phone

you can get a Bluetooth extender to increase range

this is all off the shelf tech and you probably have a smartphone already

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
alan bond
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 13
3rd Dec 2016 19:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24619

Cormorant - Just spotted this thread - haven't received an e-mail yet - if you went via Technobots, maybe they haven't yet forwarded it to me - otherwise (Email Removed - PM Only) gets me direct.

Check out my website www.forge-electronics.co.uk - if you have a gas turbine sound file to send me I can pop it into one of my FE101 units and post a video of the result. The sound is embedded in the program memory of the chip so cannot be altered by the user. I have one or two of these prototypes left for £25. You'd need to supply an amplifier for this version (unlike the FE100 - but no more of those left!)

I've done further work on using sounds stored on a microSD card so users can customise units themselves - however this is still work in progress and I've been busy this last year with gizmos for model aircraft, so it's on the back burner.

For lots of discrete sound EFFECTS see my 16 channel sound effect unit which has a built in 3W amplifier

alan bond
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 13
3rd Dec 2016 19:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24621

Whoops - my e-mail address is on my website and I will PM it to you !