Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 9 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 15 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (6)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > from the Philippines
from the Philippines
(1203 views)
analyst
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 13
26th Feb 2017 18:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26290

Hi everyone. I'm wellard, i have just registered to the forum and i'm glad i found this one. I'm from the Philippines

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 318
27th Feb 2017 06:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26298

Hi Wellard,
Let me introduce myself I'm FIGTREE7NTS an I want to Welcome you to the Model Boats Website! here you will find lots of information on model boating, and help when needed. make your self at home. on here you will find people from all over the place.
I myself an from the U.S.A. Connecticut. and there's a lot of members over 3777....👍 so with that said Welcome Aboard.

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Fireboat
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 256
27th Feb 2017 13:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26309

Great to see we have international members coming aboard 👍

Welcome 😊

🚤
analyst
(Sub-Lieutenant)

27th Feb 2017 13:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26311

Thanks FIGTREE7NTS! Thank You for the kind words. Honestly I've been searching the net for quite some time because I want to build a boat and hearing those welcoming words from one of the member is really heart-warming. actually, I'm planning of building a USV type sea craft. soon i will venture on model boats as a hobby but for the meantime a USV is my priority since it will greatly help in my work. I'm in the field of Law Enforcement here in the country and stationed along the coastal areas. we have locals here who are skilled boat makers as their way of living so i think workmanship will be the least of my concern as long as i can provide appropriate design and dimension. one of my big task is to properly identify the components inside which on that part i have very little knowledge. all of the components will be purchased over the internet(1 month delivery time) so for me it is imperative to have a guide/list on the suitable components.
if you can lend me some advice regarding what model to be used and links for a plan will be very much appreciated. though I'm working with LE agency, this project will be personally funded since the "bosses" are not yet ready to spend those $$$ for a ready made one 😤. despite of this, I'm willing to spend from my own pocket just to improve the capability of our agency.
Hope you will not kick me out from this forum guys because my initial plan is not yet a model boat but soon I'll be making one also from the designs and finished project here in the site.
pardon me for my long post. i just really need your help. thanks again for the welcome! 😁

analyst
(Sub-Lieutenant)

27th Feb 2017 13:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26312

Thanks Fireboat, sir!

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Feb 2017 17:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26322

Hi Analyst,

What are your plans I'm sure you'll find very helpful group of people here on the website. in the mean while,
What kind of vessel are you planning on building.
Is it a police boat, a navy boat a fireboat?
Are you going to have it built from plans?
You should order all your electronics from the internet!
I order from Cornwall Model Boats in the UK.
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/index.html
They have very good prices, I live in the US and I get my parts in a week and half.
Good luck with your project, can't wait to see what you'll be building! 👍

Ed.

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Ballast
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 49
27th Feb 2017 18:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26325

Welcome aboard Analyst. I hope you are a knowledgeable guy that I can call on in my hour of need !!!😉😊

Alan
analyst
(Sub-Lieutenant)

27th Feb 2017 23:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26335

@ballast - thanks sir! if time permits I'm sure i can be knowledgeable with the help and advice from the members of this forum. After all, it is my pleasure to serve 😊

Ballast
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 49
27th Feb 2017 23:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26336

Good on ya mate !!! Look forward to talking to you !!!😉😊

Alan
analyst
(Sub-Lieutenant)

28th Feb 2017 00:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26339

@figtree7nts - I'm planning to build a USV type of boat with general specs;
*catamaran type hull (not yet sure of the dimensions but based on my own research maybe L- 58", beam - 20" for each hull)
*long range (20-30kms)
*cruise speed (3-4 km/h)
on board components
*FPV cameras (at least 2)
*motors (not sure what type but I'm leaning more on electric than gas)
*GPS and antennas for long range capability.
i want to start with the basics first and probably will include add-ons in navigation in the future. i just want to have a reliable running platform at first. it will be used in salt water environment. I'm thinking of a twin hull to make it more stable out in the waters. It will not be deployed in rough weather but i think it would be better to have a twin hull for stability. I already have a Taranis Tx and Rx which i used for simulators before.
thanks for link on the website. indeed they have lots of stuffs. my only concern is they are based in England so i will pay for multiple export fees until it reaches the Philippines(sad reality) From England they will have it delivered in the US(virtual address) then from the US to my country through a local courier. I cannot let the store deliver it directly to the Philippines because the Customs here will surely rain me with custom's taxes and it will require me to personally pick up the items. but i'll give it a try first and see the difference. it will be my first time to order on UK based websites.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Feb 2017 00:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26340

Hi Analyst,

Sounds like a really big project.
I think maybe you should try a tri-Catamaran configuration!
you say you want it to be stable in the water, I think a tri-Catamaran shape would be some what more stable than just a regular Catamaran! This is just my thoughts though, good luck on your project. please keep us updated, also start a build blog of your boat concept.....

"Fair winds calm Seas"
analyst
(Sub-Lieutenant)

28th Feb 2017 04:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26347

noted on that design. will try to look for online sources for the trimaran hull. definitely I will post at build blog once i get the final design for the hull and with the progress of the project. thanks for the support sir!

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1244
28th Feb 2017 10:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26355

Hi analyst
There are suppliers in the USA, Australia and China who may be nearer and not subject to the EU tarriffs. Glad to hear you use a Taranis should prove more than capable for the surveillance craft you are planning.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
analyst
(Sub-Lieutenant)

28th Feb 2017 10:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26356

sure is for the taranis, dave. actually, my original plan for a surveillance platform is a DIY UAV and since i have no background with RC i started with simulators and using the Taranis as controller. but after observing the wind condition at sea for a couple of weeks i decided to change plan and do with a USV instead. the wind are unpredictable and i need a platform that can be employed almost all the time. except for very rough tides of course. I'll try to look for online stores within US and Australia also. if you have recommended sites in mind please message me. that will be a great help 😊

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Feb 2017 15:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26371

Sorry I am UK based but we have active members in many countries including Australia and the USA. Hopefully one or more will see the post and suggest some stores or suppliers
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
analyst
(Sub-Lieutenant)

4th Mar 2017 05:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26509

certainly hoping, dave. i saw a 60" single hull by peep31 from build blogs and i'm also considering a single hull as long as it's large enough to be stable in the water. i hoe peep31 will answer my private message soon.

analyst
(Sub-Lieutenant)

6th Mar 2017 13:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26566

hi Everyone! just want to solicit some advice. i'll be asking the local boat maker here in my place to build a catamaran style boat in few days time. i decided to use the dimensions as follows; LOA = 1.5m, B= 1m, D= 0.5m. both hulls will be identical. boat capacity will be approx 20-30kg(motors and electronics onboard). with this in mind, i'm soliciting suggestions for the appropriate prop size and motor to be used. electric or gas engines? im planning to use one motor for each hull. thanks in advance for the comment guys!

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Mar 2017 13:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26569

Hi Wellard
I think we need a bit more info to give helpful advice.
Electric or Gas depends on the noise level nuisance. May not be a problem for off shore use. Probably greater endurance than with electric but not as good for the speed you envisage.
As speed is not important (3-4Km/h) then a brushed motor may be preferable to brushless. Generally the prop should be about the same diameter as the motor case. Larger props will require some form of reduction unit to reduce the load on the motor.
Sounds like there will be plenty of room in the hulls to carry a good power source and as you are operating at some distance SLA is possibly better than say LiPo where discharge voltage is important.
I think you may have a problem with the range (20-30Kms) as this is somewhat greater than the normal range of domestic RC sets. As you are off shore there may be additional problems with wave height as the signal may be obscured when the model is in a deep trough between waves.
At the end of the day you need a motor prop battery combination that will move the craft thro the water at the required speed and last for the full duration of each sail.
It's quite a large model and I suspect will need say two 800 size brushed motors to allow for wind/waves and current.
I suggest you come back with your thoughts as you may have specific requirements to fit in with other equipment you are instaling.
dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
analyst
(Sub-Lieutenant)

6th Mar 2017 15:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26571

thanks for the insights dave. will wait for other helpful advice but based from what you've said i already had some additional great inputs in mind. i'm also leaning into using SLA battery than LiPo. it's true that 20-30kms range is my goal but i don't mind achieving that for future plans. 1-3kms at first is not bad to start with.i also have a friend who is a "class A" amateur radio operator and he told me that we can make antennas to extend the range of the craft 😁
i'll try to look for an 800 brushed motors over the internet. thanks mate!

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Mar 2017 17:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26572

Hi Analyst,

I like your project but, hopefully you don't have to use 6 metres band for radio control of your model. you would have to have a Amatuers licence as well. maybe your friend can make an receive amp for 2.4 gig Radio control! or find out your local frequency for Radio Control

Here is some idea for you motors.
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/MFA-Torpedo-800...

Good luck

"Fair winds calm Seas"
analyst
(Sub-Lieutenant)

7th Mar 2017 06:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26582

hi figtree7nts! actually i'll be taking the technician class exam this coming april. hopefully i can pass the said exam. i'm doing self review during my free time for the past 3 months now. thanks for the link on the motor!

analyst
(Sub-Lieutenant)

7th Mar 2017 06:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26583

i just finished talking with the local boat maker. we agreed on the final dimensions. L=98", B= 24", D =(he will be the one to identify).🤔 i know its quite big for an RC but he said that's the best proportion possible for open sea operation. he also suggested a type of motor. Kenbo Marine
Over Head Valve (OHV), 4-stroke, Gasoline Engine. (http://www.supertrade.com.ph/index.php/products/engines/gaso... he said that it is capable of carrying 40kg/ hull.
any comments on this would be much appreciated. thanks!

Attached Files - Click To View Large

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Mar 2017 11:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26590

Hi Analyst,

Very good on the Technician class, I past mine about 20-25yrs ago. I might look into upgrading but, here where I am there's not much for ham. kind of quite just a few repeaters, I only have an HT 2 metres 70 centimetres is all .

Good luck on you test, don't study too hard just study lightly.
I got 100% on part one and 99% on part two, you can do it!
Let me know when you pass, can't wait to see the callsign....
My callsign Is I will PM to you...👍

About your model boat sure is going to be large scale!
Will you be making a trailer for it also?

"Fair winds calm Seas"
analyst
(Sub-Lieutenant)

7th Mar 2017 16:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26593

figtree7nts,
thanks for the encouragement, sir! will update you as soon as i got my call sign hopefully 😊
with regards to the trailer, yes. i consider using a medium size trailer for the boat but i will just sourced it out from the machine shop and let them do it for me. I don't think i have the skill for that 😆
I will update the forum once the hull is finished. my next step is to look for the suitable motor. thanks!