Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

Donate Now
£
or enter custom amount

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
April 2017: 21 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 37 people
December 2016: 2 people
November 2016: 2 people
October 2016: 8 people
September 2016: 4 people
August 2016: 5 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (20)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > First post...
First post...
(1038 views)
Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 25
6th Mar 2017 23:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26576

Hi all, my first post so please be gentle with me.
I'm Wayne from Colne in Lancashire, I'm very new to the hobby.
I started building a brushless prop driven 1/12 scale Bluebird K7 late on last year, I'd got the plans from Canada & they were at best very poor. At first it was 1 step forwards & 2 steps back but I've progressed to the point where it's "alive", just the canopy to vacuum form & fit & it will be ready to paint. During the backwards steps I've also built a 1/24 scale K7 for my grandson, just the sponsons to fit then it will be ready for paint also.
I've managed to lay my hands on the Nexus K7 plans at 8.4/1, I figured go big or go home so I had them doubled in size so they are now at 4.2/1, I just can't afford to put a turbine in is so I'm planning to put a couple of 27cc tiger king engines in it. It's going to be an expensive build so I'm collecting "stuff" for the build.
I've managed to get hold of an old Dumas short stuff fibreglass kit that I'm going to build for my grandson & ive just got a bigger hull off eBay for £30.
Can anyone identify this hull?
Sorry for the long post!!!
Cheers
Wayne

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1043
7th Mar 2017 10:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26588

Hi midlife306
Welcome to the site. Impressive looking model and its will look spectacular once painted. Is it mainly wood construction? If so are you intending to cover the wood inside and out to protect against water?
If you are intending to use IC engines you need to find some where to sail as most waters prohibit their use mainly due to the noise and pollution.
The hull is a fast racing hull that would suit a brushless set up with LiPos. There are many configurations and I suspect a surface piercing prop is one option. I suggest you find a local model boat club near to you and go and see if they run fast race boats. There is a section on this site for Model Boat Clubs that will help you find one locally.Hopefully they will be able to guide you into the best set up for this hull. I have a fellow club member who is really into speed and he sources his bits from Prestwich Model Centre but also from the States.
Please keep us posted on progress and do keep asking for help and advice, it may just save you from making costly mistakes.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

7th Mar 2017 20:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26596

Hi Dave,
The 1/12 Bluebird is brushless (all running gear from PMB), as it's made from balsa, I've waterproofed everything with sanding sealer inside & out. To be honest I was planning on taking it to quiet stretches of the Leeds/Liverpool canal as I didn't think any scale model boat clubs would want anything to do with my boat, but I will have a look at what clubs there are locally.

The 1/4.2 will be IC powered, I want it to reach a scale speed of 300mph so if I can hit 75mph in the real world with it I'll be very happy. I hope if I can keep it light enough a couple of Tiger King S27 Evo's will get me there. I've emailed PMB as they don't have any stock at the moment, to see when they are due some in, but I've not received a reply yet. Plan is to buy 1 engine initially so I can plan the layout & while I'm carrying on with the build I was going to drop it into this eBay hull to see how it performs.
I have a couple of Enya 40ss motors, I'm going to try one in the Short Stuff & see how it goes.
I can't cope sitting at home watching the telly, I like to keep busy😎
Cheers
Wayne

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Mar 2017 09:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26597

Hi Wayne
It's not that clubs have anything against fast models and IC, more that the local council and residents object to the noise and pollution. The result is sailing waters are lost for all and new waters are difficult to find. I am speaking from personal experience of just such a situation where a non club member raced an IC boat when the club were not present and the council withdrew permission following complaints from local residents.
There are clubs where IC's are permitted and the off shore power boats use IC.
I believe Fleetwood may allow ICs but I am not sure and apologise if this is not the case.
Darren our club fast expert has achieved speeds nearing your 75mph using brushless/Lipo and self piercing props. He makes it across our lake in about 2 secs. I will mention you when I next see him and ask if he wants to contact you to discuss your project as he also designs his own boats.
Keep us posted with your progress.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

10th Mar 2017 00:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26621

Hi Dave,
That looks like a really nice piece of water!
I have a massive appreciation for the work, skills & dedication involved in building & running accurate scale models.
My fascination is with fast boats, K7 in particular & although the design is over 60 years old now, it's still a bit of a hooligan. It just didn't occur to me that someone with a boat like mine would be welcome amongst the scale community, at first scan through list of clubs there isn't anything on my doorstep, I'll have to increase my radius.
My skill levels are limited but as they say every day is a school day & I'm picking up new knowledge & skills as I go along.
The concern for me between IC & Brushless is on one hand add fuel & run for hours vs add batteries & run for minutes. 240+ amp esc's can cost the same as a half decent 30cc IC engine but to be honest for me the sound of electric motors is far more preferable to IC. I guess I need to take on as much advice as possible before I start splashing the cash. I'm certainly not pigheaded enough to ignore advice given, that's for sure.
I've seen a video on YouTube of a guy building an aeroplane fuselage without a mold, by creating a blue foam plug & fibreglassing over it, once the fibreglass has been smoothed & filled it is split to remove the foam core, he ended up with a large lightweight fuselage that only needed minor bracing to make it strong enough to fly. This idea really appealed to me so I went out today and bought a load of blue foam, I'll have a go at building the sponsons first & see how I get on...
Cheers
Wayne

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Mar 2017 08:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26623

Hi Wayne
I do believe my friend is the best person to speak with as he does a lot of self build fast boats.
Good luck with the sponsons the process you describe is proven but I suspect you will have a steep learning curve from being a novice.
I do know Darren uses Kevlar in his models to make them structurally strong and light.
I understand your logic regarding ICvElectric but high speed runs need to be kept straight to avoid the boat overturning so they tend to be of short duration in any case.
As you already have a couple of model running on brushless I suggest you get them operational and see how they sail. You will then be in a better informed position to plan a way forward.
If you can find a local club they will be able to offer hands on help which should help your progress greatly.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Mar 2017 08:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26693

Hi Wayne
Spoke to Darren yesterday and he is happy to discuss your plans for the fast boat.
If you pm me with your email address I will pass it on to Darren so he can contact you. He is a shift worker so this is the best way to make contact.

Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

13th Mar 2017 15:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26704

PM sent to you Dave
Cheers👍
Wayne

Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

13th Mar 2017 18:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26707

Here's a pic of the 1/4.2 plans, coffee mug added for scale😎

Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

14th Mar 2017 19:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26727

I couldn't resist any longer, here is my 1/12 scale K7 alongside a ply sponson template for my 1/4.2 scale next project. I'm feeling giddy, I might start going to the gym...
Cheers

Robby
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 2
15th Mar 2017 06:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26739

Looking forward to seeing some pics or video of this one when its completed. looks like a good interesting model. Good luck with it. Sion

Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

15th Mar 2017 18:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26761

Cheers Robby, I'll keep things updated.
I had some blue foam, I'm off down to the cellar to cut out the rough shape..

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 241
15th Mar 2017 18:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26762

OK, I'm Curious how big is your boat going to be?

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

15th Mar 2017 20:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26774

I'd been trying not to measure it to be honest, it will be 1.8m long from the tips of the sponsons the end of the jet pipe, gulp...
I've roughly cut out the sponsons now, lots of sanding to do now👍
Cheers
Wayne

WorcesterModelBoatCl
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 3
15th Mar 2017 21:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26776

Mine is custom built brushless motor plus metal edf. It's stunning!

Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

15th Mar 2017 22:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26777

That looks nice, have you got any more pics?
Cheers
Wayne

BOATSHED
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 35
16th Mar 2017 00:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26779

Nice looking Bluebird. Have you run her on the water yet. If so how does she ride the water and are going to post any video of her on the water running. I would love to see her running.

BOATSHED
WorcesterModelBoatCl
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 3
16th Mar 2017 07:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26785

Yeah it's been run a fair few times its very powerful and could easily emulate the final bluebird act (the crash) took a lot of getting right but I have access to some very technical facilities for testing to which I'm very grateful as it saves alot of time. I have started no.2 which has a custom EDF to replicate the ret roar and water dispersion out the back but also a huge watercooled brushless motor to get her upto speed quicker. They draw alot of attention when they come out to play I spent 18 months getting mine spot on. It comes out to play every so often just not an everyday lake visitor.

Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

16th Mar 2017 20:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26825

If anyone is interested here is the link to the Nexus 1/8.4 plans, enjoy!
http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/19153/mm1462-bluebird-k7
Cheers
Wayne

Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

16th Mar 2017 20:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26826

There is also a guy called Fred Bloor, his website is www.rainbowcoloured.co.uk
He does a plans CD that has some interesting detail. I've not seen a plan with the correct nose shape yet though.
Cheers
Wayne

Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

18th Apr 2017 01:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27589

Well, I've been quite busy on the 1/4 scale Bluebird K7...
Cheers
Wayne

Johnlikessailing
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 18
18th Apr 2017 09:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27592

Well done Wayne!

John.

Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

18th Apr 2017 10:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27593

Cheers John👍
I'll be cutting out the inside of all the bulkheads next & then I'll glue the structure together, I'm planning on using epoxy but if anyone has any suggestions of a better glue I'm all ears.
I'm going to make the spars out of 1mm thick titanium, I'll get the bits laser cut by a mate & I know a very good welder, I just need to draw them up first...
Cheers
Wayne

BOATSHED
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 35
18th Apr 2017 11:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27594

I don't know if it help you but this is a very good glue. You don't have to mix it like epoxy glue's. It is waterproof I was recommended it for a boat build and found it to be fine.
I have used all sorts in the past dating back to the 60's. Cascamite, epoxy, even with my dad as a child we used the good old fashion smelly glue bead's. I still use them here and there.
But we all have different idea's. Hope this helps.

BOATSHED
Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

18th Apr 2017 12:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27595

Thanks, I've not seen this stuff before, I'll have to do some research, sounds ideal if it does what it says on the label.
Cheers
Wayne

metalikhajoe
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
19th Apr 2017 09:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27606

Hello everyone! Just joined the group and this is my first post. I saw some pix of Tug Boats in the net and wanted to try making one from scratch. I tried looking for free plans but I could not find any. I hope some of you can share me some plans if you have any to share. I have an access to a laser cutter and I know it will help me a lot in my build. I also do graphic lay outing on CorelDraw. Hope to meet new friends here. I have also attached some of my builds.

sonar
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 85
19th Apr 2017 11:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27609

Welcome to the Forum

Loads of free plans here.

https://model-boats.com/forum/plans

Select the ones your interested in
Down load to your computer.
Then email off to your local printers.

The printing of plans is a lot cheaper than you would think.

Midlife306
(Sub-Lieutenant)

23rd Apr 2017 23:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27700

Been busy this weekend, managed to get all the bulkheads finished off & I've finally glued all the structure together🤓👍
More strengthening to be added this week & I'll try & tidy up the glued joints.
I'm still trying to work out how I can easily remove the engine cover yet still remain watertight but not fly off at speed. I've got a few ideas involving lots of magnets & a remotely operated latch, I've made a start by glueing a flange along the outside of the main frame. For my plan to work, I'll need to add a half bulkhead in between the air intake & the first bulkhead & another butting up against the the last bulkhead before the transom, they will be the split lines. I'll then have to find a way to strengthen up the removable section so I can cut it free.
I'll. keep you posted.
Cheers
Wayne