Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

Donate Now
£
or enter custom amount

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
April 2017: 21 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 37 people
December 2016: 2 people
November 2016: 2 people
October 2016: 8 people
September 2016: 4 people
August 2016: 5 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (17)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Ballast for Puffer
Ballast for Puffer
(151 views)
randhbarker
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 30
11th Mar 2017 19:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26660

I need to get a lot of weight into my Clyde puffer (approx 15ILBS)
I have used a couple of old 12v lead batteries either side in the middle,have got a fair bit of room to play with at Bow end.
Access to the stern is very limited and I need to get about 4ILBS in there as the prop is half out of the water.
Any suggestions out there.

RHBaker
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 76
11th Mar 2017 20:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26661

Suggest try a mixture of old car wheel weights. The radial ones are usually good where they can be slide in and for more congested spaces use the square stick on ones.
Most tyre companies are only too pleased to get rid of them. Leave them to soak in paint stripper, wash well in cold water and most of the old paint and adhesive will come off. The remainder can be got off with mechanical endeavours.
Once located, saturate in glass fibre resin and they are fastened in for life. If they need to be removable use double sided tape.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1043
12th Mar 2017 09:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26676

I have a large 4' Puffer purchased many years ago form Martins Models at an E Port show. Originally I tried lead but it became very heavy to carry. I modified mine by making three large sealed fibreglass containers in side the hull which were open at the base and had open portholes at the top exiting thro the hull sides. I now only need about 1lb of lead plus the 12v 12Ahr battery to ballast. Put the model in the water then add the battery and ballast, the boat sinks to the waterline. Take the battery and ballast out and the boat rises, lift with two straps and all the water drains leaving a light hull to carry. The pic shows the model in its lead ballast days.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Live long and prosper

Dave