Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 6 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 5 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (14)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Closure
Closure
(431 views)
Gabby
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 4
30th Mar 2017 20:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27148

Sad to announce the Closure of Model and Hobby World, in Lancaster. They have been here for 28 years and have many modellers who use there services and even just their wit and wisdom. Will be sorely missed. Have a happy retirement. 😭🤐🤔

none
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 185
1st Apr 2017 12:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27181

There are a lot of hobby and model shops closing throughout the country.

When you think about it you walk into a model shop and expect to see loads of model kits and even more choices of fittings Spare parts and extras including a selection of electronics.

I guess that is money tied up in stock just in case some some customer wants a specific item. or small items.

If you walked into a shop and all there was were catalogues and you then had to wait for the items to arrive it is hardly worth keeping a shop going .

So a smaller amount of stock saleable on line.

Quite a few like myself have no hobby or model shop near to them so shopping on line is the easier to to obtain items.

Then there are Supermarkets and numerous other specialized shops now on line. and who knows how many model items are only on a web site. Boat hulls for choice most if not all now on line.

So I would have thought soon everything will be an easy option online for both the seller and buyer. Ebay is another option and a few website only hobby shops are there as well.

ron1956
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 2
3rd Apr 2017 00:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27221

It is such a shame that closures like this are happening all over now, I agree with Sonar that if you don't have a model shop nearby then the only way is to order online from a large supplier, it is a shame that the internet is causing small family stores to close.

none
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 185
3rd Apr 2017 09:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27222

You could go a lot further with the shop closure by asking the question.

How many modelers have gone to a model shop in the last year.

How many have Never been to a model shop and buy only on line.

Sorry but I fall into the Never been to a model shop.
I guess the reason being just about anything is now on line.
Easy to sit down in the evening or weekend and just look about on the internet and find and buy with no hassle no crowds and can be done when You feel like it.

It's a sad fact that this could be the way things could be done in years to come.

So in the end it all boils down to Use it or loose it