Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 2 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 19 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (7)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Make what you can and buy what you have to
Make what you can and buy what you have to
(630 views)
none
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 185
23rd Apr 2017 08:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27676

I have been modeling for a short time and so far I have managed to recycle quite a lot of items Rather than buy something.

Most of my models are recycled to the point of buying the minimum...

Running gear is the exception That I have to buy.

But all in all looking around the house and the local tip for recycled paint and small items has worked out just fine for me.
Costing just a few pounds.

Also a number of local industrial units have a fair bit of useful waste there just for the asking.

So in the end there are several ways to save some cash on this a very addictive hobby..

So any tips from other members to save a few pence ?

Where to look for that material for the next project for free or at a low cost ?

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1427
23rd Apr 2017 10:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27679

Hi Sonar
I used to look round the local tip but it is now prohibited in my area (Cheshire).
I agree many industrial sites have waste skips but as you suggest it's best to obtain permission before removing items.
Another source is Freecycle where spare items are offered for free, but you do need to be quick as popular useful items are quickly taken.
Another source are bring and buy sales at model boat shows etc.

Live long and prosper

Dave
GrahamP74
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 10
23rd Apr 2017 14:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27686

The last model I made was built fully for £47! That included the £30 cost of the hull. I made the majority of parts from PVA board which I got from eBay for £10. Poundland glue and cocktail sticks to hold parts together. Also used wire to add edge to v doors and wire threaded through the forward rails. Made fenders by shaping wooden dowel on the lathe and painting and the best was the net... made from a dyed dishcloth!!! Pics attached of the various stages showing the construction!

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1121
23rd Apr 2017 23:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27697

Hi from Munich
There is a saying amongst ship modellers here in Germany
"Schiffsmodelbauer sammeln alles was nicht unbedingt in zwei Wochen zu stinken anfängt !"
"Ship modellers collect everything that doesn't start to stink in two weeks!"
On that happy note Goodnight from Munich 😎

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Apr 2017 23:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27699

PS
On the recycling note
I find that the alu foil from butter tubs (e.g. Kerrygold) is excellent for simulating diamond textured steel decks, companion ways, step & ladder treads (in German - riffle!?) in scale ~ 72 to 100 😎

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
none
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Apr 2017 07:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27708

Strange that this should come up I have just done the same to some steps for the Shamrock Police boat.
Did them last week..

And they look quite nice ..as floor grids or for the steps.

none
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Apr 2017 11:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27715

I used to look round the local tip but it is now prohibited in my area (Cheshire).

I guess I am just lucky here as they have a little shop on site as well...

none
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Apr 2017 11:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27716

GrahamP74

I like the boat and most of all the total cost.. @ £47. Whats not to like..

Foraging about for bits and Pieces is far better than buying a kit
Well that,s my view anyway.

GrahamP74
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 10
24th Apr 2017 13:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27718

Cost was great and although it was a tough decision to sell her the profit was over three figures!!! Has allowed me to build the new one and have a budget of £190

none
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Apr 2017 13:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27719

Whats the new one ?

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 183
24th Apr 2017 15:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27720

If looking for good low cost ply log onto the Model Flying site and look for the thread by Enrico Eglasias I got a sample from him and it is really good stuff and low cost. Light and strong.A bit darker colour than pine ply but gives a nice colour when clear .varnished.I think the thread title is something like Plywood Supplies or samples. Different thicknesses available. Regards John👍

digger
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 1
8th May 2017 12:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28355

My wife is an amateur dressmaker and drags me round haberdashery shops. I'm surprised at the useful stuff that can be found on the accessories shelves...

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th May 2017 16:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28372

and in the adjacent handicraft section you can find things like reels of inexpensive and fine silver and brass wire, like I used for the 'balcony' on my U26 👍 soldering needs cleaning up I know! Or stainless steel cable as I used for the handrails just visible at the bottom of the picture 😎 Stanchions are split-pins 😉

Westquay
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 180
8th May 2017 18:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28386

If people want to use Foamex, that smooth skinned foam type board (no cardboard) I can suggest they go to any decent sized sign maker or exhibition stand design /maker for offcuts. I get all I can handle through my son, who's best mate gets tons of it.
Being entirely plastic, unlike Foamboard, it can't warp.

Martin