Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 7 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (22)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Scale Sail Association
Scale Sail Association
(386 views)
Westquay
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 180
2nd May 2017 11:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27984

OK, so I have 2 non scale yachts, but then I also have 2 scale yachts and, I hope, I will build more sailing craft to scale and I was wondering what happened to the Scale Sail Association. Somebody "elsewhere" reckons it died with one member who must have been the driving force, but would that not still have left a good few people with an interest?
Does anyone know for sure what happened to this outfit or know if something similar took over?

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1033
2nd May 2017 17:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28009

Hi Martin, found on the The Nautical Research Guild site, Ship Model Organizations page.
http://www.thenrg.org/ship-model-organizations.php
No website or e-mail listed.

Scale Sailing Association (R/C)
14 Palace Road, Crouch End
London
England N8 8QJ Under Sail magazine.

hope this helps, cheers Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living!" i.e. boat modelling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
Westquay
(Captain)

2nd May 2017 18:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28010

Good man, Doug. Thanks. I heard that the man who "ran" it has died. I'd hate to write to that address and find that he was the man.
I would have thought the number of interested parties would have carried on.
Thanks anyway, Doug. I shall battle on on my own as usual.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd May 2017 18:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28011

or maybe this guy, a Yorkshireman who emigrated to the US and married. Ah True Love! Seems he continued his model yacht business there.

http://www.scalesailing.com/aboutus.htm

😎

Westquay
(Captain)

2nd May 2017 18:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28012

Yep, seen the business, Doug. Good luck to him but it's not what I was looking for. And now he's all about damned footies, the ugliest little block of crap I ever saw and God knows some modern yachts are plug ugly, but those things take the biscuit. What, I ask, have they to do with scale?

Nope, I shall plod on doing what pleases me, whatever.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd May 2017 18:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28013

I heartily agree about the 'Footies', seems a bit of a waste of time to me, but what do I know?
Only contact I had with model yacht kit was using a sail winch for the paravane winch on my destroyer HMS Hotspur. That's the original in my profile pic BTW. 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

2nd May 2017 18:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28015

I have one servo winch, but no idea how to hook it all up. Mind you I haven't had the Tx out of its box yet! I've no idea how to make 2.4giggery work. So expensive sail winches are a no-no. I can make using brass threaded rod, aluminium channel, nylon gears and some little motors I bought years ago as part of a batch. I estimate 5-6 quid a winch. that one winch will do main and foresails. When I worked in Germany in the car design trade, I was suppose to be a clay modeller, but if there was ever a mechanism required they came to me. Called me "Mekanist" (spelling?) or Kunstler, artist. In the end I was just Mechanical Mardin. I am nominated inventor on a VW patent and built things like rotating screens in the dashboard of the Passat, the first headrest screen installations, Palm computer transit systems, dash top oddments bins with powered lids, a new heater grille system for the redesigned Passat dash, etc. So, I guess a simple sail winch shouldn't worry me. But it will go in my model of the Victorian Cutter "Vanity", on which I used to live. I have 2 planks left to add to the hull and then the big fitout.
Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd May 2017 19:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28016

'Vanity' sounds great, look forward to the pics 👍
Although I'm not into yachts I still appreciate their beauty and the work that goes into them.
Interesting career! My winch wasn't expensive, all plastic except the motor of course, and big and chunky so good job the destroyer is pretty large at 1:72. My nickname at work was 'The Old Sea Dog' or 'Verrückte Engländer' (crazy Englishman). 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

2nd May 2017 20:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28021

I should point out that if any of my mechanisms involved electrickery I drafted in a lovely guy called Rolf, who would know exactly what I needed and put it together with my mechanical bits. Wish he lived up the road now! I think the Germans always thought we Brits nuts, because they loved our humour, once it was explained to them. I used to have a gaggle of the more intelligent Germans around my desk because they loved my tapes of Flanders and Swann, once I'd explained it to them! I made a somewhat naughty comment about a secretary from upstairs and the German designer laughed so much I really thought he would have a heart attack. I have never seen anyone actually go purple! But he recovered and went upstairs to cook us all a wonderful Roast. I had a great time over there. Good model shops too where I was.

I can appreciate the presence of a capital ship, but I am so anti military that I could never make one, but if I did, it would be Hood, as I think she was actually beautiful. I was once offered a GRP Hood hull, 9 feet long for 45 quid but I lived in a bedsit at that time!

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd May 2017 20:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28023

Know what you mean about introducing Germans to British humour!
My sideways look at events often brought the office to a standstill.
My Graucho act was popular, or John Cleese Minister of Silly Walks. My aren't we showing our age??
Recently I made my colleagues some DVDs of the original 'Yes Prime Minister' series, I subtitled it 'or how to use the English language as a weapon', Cast list 'The Prime Minister - who thinks he runs the country', 'Cabinet Secretary - who really does run the country'.
Went down very well, once they listened carefully and thought about it. But by then most of them had been used to me for 20 years or more. All good fun.
I like it here too, so now I'm retired I'm staying here, all my friends are here, I'm a German League Ten Pin Bowler etc etc. Frankly I now feel a stranger in England 🤔
I also have Hood on my ToDo List, have the 350 scale kit already, LoA 75cm, beam 6cm! and have collected mini motors, pico servos, 2S LiPos and Micron RC gear to fit it out. Next step is to float the hull and find out what the max waterline load is.
A fully fitted 9 foot hull would be a bit of a handful 😲 Would be pretty majestic though. 😎