Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 7 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (14)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > info on old yachts
info on old yachts
(346 views)
Westquay
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 180
5th May 2017 15:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28154

World's largest library, they say, nothing you can't find in Tinternet, they waffle..... Bo****s!
I have tried all I know to extract some decent pictures of classic Victorian yachts on the web. As good as nothing. I went to my one book about old yachts and there was my answer. I know, there are lots of books on old yachts, but most of them are stupid money. Try ordering a book from your local library...I can't leglly park within a heart attack of the library and they now charge a fiver a book and will still say no more often than not because they don't lend your choice of rarish book. But the internet? Rubbish. Even the pictures are so all action and distant that you can't make out any detail. My model of Vanity is to be a decently accurate scale model, the original having almost certainly been destroyed in the last 2 years. So I'm desperate for decent static pictures of either Marigold or Partridge, allegedly the last 2 of their type left, now Vanity (which they insist on calling Mary) is no more. Fortunately my collection of pictures of Vanity when I lived on her turned up in the middle of that book I mentioned. Gawd bless books. I have one wall floor to almost ceiling at home of just books.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 593
5th May 2017 22:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28166

Hi Martin, sad but true🤔 All I found was this
http://intheboatshed.net/2015/09/02/1885-classic-mary-ex-van...
a report on her threatening demise.
The first pic is the one in your profile! Interesting (for me) it was once owned by a Mr Bell, my own family name! Seem to have been 3 Vanities.
The rest of the photos are terrible! How did she get into such a state, or is it a totally different boat from yours? When did you live on her?
Is there a class name to look for?
Good hunting, will assist if I can cos I know the problem from when I was trying to find info on HMS Hotspur and U26. I also have shelves full of books, several from the Deutsches Museum here in Munich, mostly quicker to thumb through than firing up the 'haunted fish-tank Mk II' 😉
Cheers 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living/boat modeling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 318
6th May 2017 02:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28175

So Sad what a thing to happen to such a Vessel....😭

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Westquay
(Captain)

6th May 2017 10:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28187

Yes, I got that one short mention in "in the boat shed" on my search. I provided those pictures to him and most of the history, as I did to Alex Laird when he was trying to sell her through his boat brokerage in Classic Boat magazine in the 90s. She was towed by a fishing boat from Burnham round to Canvey where an ex Police mechanic and his girlfriend were living on her, then the next I know she's out at Dauntless's yard on Canvey, then gets transported by road to Bristol. By now she was in the ownership of a John Ord, an antique print and book seller. She has remained there ever since. I visited her when she was in a creek at Canvey and spookily, as I looked into the water, a piece of her interior floated past me! The Police mechanic guy said they'd stripped her interior for safe keeps and it was in his mother's garage in Leigh-on-Sea. Well this piece wasn't, was it? I tried to get it with a stick but couldn't. I'd have kept it if I could have got it! That was the last I saw of her. I imagine by now she'll have been destroyed. Mark Rolt, who was in charge of her where she lay in Bristol, is a nephew of the great Tom Rolt, who started the Inland Waterways Association, the Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society and the Vintage Sports Car Club. All major interests of mine over the years. He will be revolving in his grave like one of his beloved Alvis engines.

Doug, she was one of a class called C-Class and fitted the then rules for only a few years. She was built in Dan Hatcher's yard in 1885/6. The chap I bought her from, Steve Bowen, gave me the picture of her afloat and rigged. I stayed friends with Steve for years. He then got picked up by a rich lady and went touring around the chateaux of Europe, most of which seemed to be owned by her friends. Nobody could have deserved such a fate more than Steve, one of nature's true gentlemen. It is thanks to raggy arsed enthusiasts like Steve and me that these old boats were preserved as long as they have been for rich gits to take advantage as they now do.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th May 2017 23:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28249

A sad (or poignant) tale! Can fully understand why you are so determined to preserve her at least as a detail true working model! Respect, as our German colleagues would say 👍
Left in that state she would have destroyed herself by now 😭
such a shame, NaJa, the throw away society seems to be very slowly learning some lessons, there's hope yet!
German ship modellers have a reputation for collecting and saving ANYTHING that won't start to stink within two weeks!
I build as much as I can but when I want some 'quick fun' on the lake I might resort to opening the wallet. An ex Pat I met here around 30 years ago (ex RN Captain!) had an expression for that
'spending too much time bait digging (sic - building) and not enough fishing (sic - sailing)!'
I half agreed with him, part of the fun for me is solving the problems and squeezing everything in. I look forward to the videos of 'Vanity' afloat.

BTW I also lived a while in your neck of the woods, a long long time ago.
Dad was stationed at RAF Marham, on the Victor Tankers, and I went to Kings Lynn Grammar and Tech College and then down to the smoke to Twickenham college.

While in Norfolk I whizzed around the fens on a Vespa GS 160, 13HP went pretty well. Night driving in the fens is fun 😉 with all those right angled bends. Miss one and ................. SPLOSH!
We used to play 'Chicken' - driving without lights!!!!!
Trips to the coast with 'the ladies' on the pillion, Boston for concerts; Bananarama?, Hot Chocolate👍, The Animals, The Yardbirds (with Eric Clapton!) 👍 .... Happy days 😉 Cheers 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

7th May 2017 09:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28266

Doug,
RAF Marham is our local base. Constantly being enlarged. Next insult will be those damned F35 POS from the Yanks. Overpriced, over time and, no doubt, capable of 60% of what they promise. Political BS at work. Then they have the temerity to call the ugly blob a Lightning!

But you'll know how everywhere there is water. The Kings Lynn club used to run at the Leisure Centre, but allowed themselves to be bullied by the hook dangling retards and moved to Leziate, which is miles away and hard to reach on a huge lake and at some cost. Not for me.

I rode a scooter once. Front wheel went down a pothole I thought was a little puddle and I went over the top. It had been lent to me by Mike Karslake, who started and ran the Lambretta Club of Great Britain. At one point he had 300,000 members in this country alone! I used to work for him from time to time when he had a new model to make, but preferred to play scooters. His daughter was called Jo. You'd know her as Jo Wood now, glamorous granny who married Ronnie Wood of the Stones. I remember her as a rather tasty 14 year old starting out on her career as a model! Anyway, I left the scooter at the house I was visiting and told Mike to collect it, Struck me as a death trap. I have never been into riding 2 wheels. Can't see what hold them up!

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th May 2017 09:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28267

Small world ain't it? 😉
Gyroscopic force, and a sense of balance, holds 'em up!
I regret selling my GS160 when I left KL. Would be worth a small fortune now 🤔
For me 'Lightning' means P38J or English Electric 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

7th May 2017 09:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28269

Oh, Lightning for me is forever English Electric. I've seen them climb like rats up drainpipes, break the sound barrier over Gt. Yarmouth, do sub sonic ground level passes. My son took me to a place nearish here where they have 3, 2 still with engines and they do ground run ups on re-heat! One of them went down the runway so fast it actually lifted! But the very ground shook. In the dusk, it was very impressive.

Martin

Westquay
(Captain)

7th May 2017 19:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28296

"Oh no, Martin", said my old chum, Peter. "The Uffa Fox connection was that he was a favourite of Prince Philip and Philip and the Queen owned Bloodhound. That's Bloodhound, not Dorade". Well blow me down with a Bosun's whistle. I'm deeeelighted. No offence to our Colonial cousins, but I was a bit miffed that I had to replicate an American boat. But now, I have it from the horse's mouth that the students who he taught way back in the 60s at college had made a model hull in GRP of The Royal Yacht Bloodhound, which had only then become Royal, following on from Bluebottle the famous Dragon.
Now I have a very different kettle of fish to model. And they did it in 1/16th scale, so it fits well with my model of "Vanity".

Here she is after a clean and just before going up in the loft earlier today.
https://model-boats.com/media/np/s/200/1494181134
https://model-boats.com/media/np/s/200/1494181161

Cheers,
Martin

Westquay
(Captain)

7th May 2017 19:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28297

And just so she doesn't feel left out, here's the Marblehead, still without a name.
Given to me by a lovely guy called Ken Cooper, who made the very nice deck. She came with her Braine steering gear in a jar and I am tempted to put that back on her rather than R/C.
https://model-boats.com/media/np/s/200/1494181368
https://model-boats.com/media/np/s/200/1494181376

Cheers,
Martin