Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 5 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 6 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (18)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Where do yachties go?
Where do yachties go?
(365 views)
Westquay
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 180
6th May 2017 11:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28194

Having got very little on my particular interest off the 'Net and having threatened to remove my Classic Model Yacht Page from Facebook, I have to ask "where do yachties go?". I thought model sailing was more popular than it seems to be. I don't mean the boring and ugly Isle of Man boats (IoM), but the older, more beautiful classes or info on the older real classes of yachts for that matter.
I was amazed to have my suggestion of a sailing section on the "other" forum accepted, but it's not exactly busy, yet RC Groups, Stateside has not only a sailboats section, but a scale sailboats section!
I realise this is still essentially the old fire boat forum with extras, so am not suggesting a sailing section here, but.....
The Scale Sailing Association has died with one member! The model barge people no longer mention Norfolk Wherries as they used to, where GRP hull makers still survive (just) they are ruinously expensive, the only section that seems to have any popularity is the appallingly ugly little "footie" things, which I would crush rather than operate! Or banana boats fer Krissakes.

Where are all the proper sailing fans? Of beautiful class boats or models of real sailing craft?

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1009
6th May 2017 14:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28202

A cry from the heart indeed🤔
Thinks 'Old Yachties don't die ..... they just sail away!'
Seems to me, from the magazines, ads, websites etc, that the Italians are more into that sort of high class / skill woodwork these days.
Commiserations, 🤔 Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living!" i.e. boat modelling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1344
6th May 2017 14:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28204

Hi Martin
We sail a variety of yachts at my club. As well as the class yachts we have Pond Yachts, Thames Barges, Norfolk Wherry, Pilot cutters, Fishing boats, RN Gunboats, Tall ships and have our own mould for a plank on frame 5' schooner. Most are scratch built and have been built from scaled up plans.
We use Posterazor - http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/ to magnify to scale. You then print to several pages at your chosen size.
I have attached a few pics of some of the models. If you send me a pm I will add you to my U-tube page where there is video of models sailing on the club waters.
We also make our own fibreglass moulds and hulls as do many other club's members.
Must admit we have not seen any footies but all models apart from IC and fast electric racing boats are welcome.
You have no location shown on your profile so it's difficult to suggest where you might find like minded Yachties.
Most clubs will have yacht members if the water is suitable so if you look in our Model Boat Club section you may find one near to your location.
Dave

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Live long and prosper

Dave
John
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 75
6th May 2017 15:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28208

Lots of old and younger yachties sail at Bury Metro Marine Modelling Society.

Happy sailing.

John.
Westquay
(Captain)

6th May 2017 16:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28211

Cor blimey, luv a duck and all that, Dave. That's one hell of a selection for one club!
Which club is that? I can even see a plumb stemmer there. My location (I thought I'd done that) is the Fens...Cambs/Norfolk borders and no, there is no model boat club close to me that I would consider travelling to. I found a group (couldn't call it a club) who sail, but they are all Isle o Manners. Silly ugly blobs, so were their boats! I have nothing remotely in common with people who think nothing of bragging that they spent 750 quid on some drawing film sails in a triangular hardboard box which they slide into their Honda Jazzes at precisely 12-31pm every other Sunday and drive along a mile or more of rutted farm track away from their little farm reservoir, to bump down miles more single lane somewhere out the back of Wisbech in fear of their other halves who have clearly said, "Be here at 12-53 or your dinner's in the dog!"! Otherwise it's all tug fans and pocket battleshippers who love a good bobbing cork. Fussy ain't I? I could accept all that if they weren't so far away and so expensive. What you have to understand is that there is water everywhere round here which you could just turn up at and sail on, but nobody does, except me. I ain't paying to join a club with a lake the size of Windermere, 30 miles away, which would require a rescue boat to be safe, when you can sail on a static river (canalised) for free, up the road!

No, I was more wondering where one can go on the 'net for info. I've had to resort to the superior 'Net skills of a Canadian friend to save what he (as a static boat modeller) judges to be useful shots from youtube videos and then send 'em over!

BTW, Dave I will PM you my email address. Please do add me to your youtube channel or whatever the correct terminology is.

I have tried through the "Nextdoor" system to find model boaters near her, but have had no take up whatever.

John, Bury is just a wee bit too far away!. But thanks for the thought.

Cheers,
Martin

Westquay
(Captain)

6th May 2017 16:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28213

Cor Bly, as my Nan would say. That's some selection and a Norfolk Wherry to boot. Is that a GRP hull, Dave? I'm just thinking it would be good to save myself some time and clinker is not something I enjoy much, especially with very thick planks that a wherry has and doing a model of Albion, the only carvel built wherry is somehow cheating! Could you ask that chap for me, please?
And then I see Boadicea, CK 145. Am I remembering my book correctly? The oldest sailing boat in existence if so.
I see you're Crewe. Again way too far away but I knew there was something nice about Crewe, apart from the London and North Western Railway!

Cheers,
Martin

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1344
6th May 2017 20:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28227

Hi Martin
Sorry, Brian does fibreglass moulds but his sailing models are all built from wood. Fibreglass is used inside to seal the planks and keep all dry.
As well as the railway we also have Rolls Royce. We actually sail on waters between Holmes Chapel and Knutsford relatively close to the M6. The lakes were created when the sand was removed for the construction of the Motorway.
Cheers
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Westquay
(Captain)

6th May 2017 21:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28233

Damn! I thought I was a bit closer to a wherry on the quick.
You have new ponds that haven't all been snapped up by those strange dangler people? You are lucky.

I take it that's the aircraft RR.

Well that is a very impressive selection. Must be quite a club.

Martin