Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 7 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (6)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Stanborough Lake.
Stanborough Lake.
(881 views)
robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 54
14th May 2017 22:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28861

Hi All.
Does anyone here sail at Stanborough Lake in Welwyn Garden City?
I'm looking for somewhere for the maiden voyage and regular sailing of my 46" Crash Tender when it's finally finished.
I'd like to know what the access and parking is like and whether it's a good place to run a boat like mine.
Also, what's the local model club like?
All advice and suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks.
Rob.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 441
15th May 2017 08:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28888

Hi Rob, Not from your area, but, i would suggest you have a look on the council web site for any bylaws of use on the lake.

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th May 2017 09:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28891

Hi Mark.
That's a good suggestion, I'll try that.
What I really want is the low down from members that use the lake.
Thanks.
Rob.

Kipper
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 13
28th May 2017 21:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29429

I would suggest you go along and see them, here is a link to their current events list.
https://wgcsme.wordpress.com/lakeside-meetings

robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th May 2017 12:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29440

Hi Kipper.
Thanks for the link, I had already looked at the site and unfortunately could not visit on the 27th May for their regular lakeside meeting to make contact with club members.
However I had previously paid a visit to the lake on Sunday 21st May expecting to see a few boats on the lake on a what was a gloriously sunny afternoon and found not a single boat but plenty of wildfowl and the lake clogged with weed and leaves. It's a nice big stretch of water with plenty of landing stages around the shoreline and on the wooden bridge that separates the pleasure boating lake from the model boating lake but the amount of weed and detritus would make me wary of making a maiden voyage there.
By contrast, I visited the lake at Verulam Park St Albans a week earlier and, although not as big, had little or no weed, but a few alarmingly large branches were being thrown into the water by dog walkers who were encouraging their pets to retrieve them, but were ultimately abandoned. Sadly no boats were being sailed there at the time so I could not make any inquiries with their owners.
The first 3 pictures are Stanborough and the last 3 are St Albans.
I think I know which I prefer but I would still like to have the view of others who use these lakes regularly.
All responses welcome....please !
Thanks.
Rob.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 319
30th May 2017 19:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29481

Hi Robbob,

I would use extreme caution in putting such a wonderful looking boat as your is! I think patients will payoff, if you wait to see a better unclogged lake. Take you time find just the right spot for a perfect Maiden Voyage...

Ed.

"Fair winds calm Seas"
robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

31st May 2017 12:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29510

Hi Ed.
Thanks for your words of caution.
Unfortunately there seem to be very few model boating lakes around the area I live (north-west London). Most have been filled in or left to 'go wild' for the benefit of fowl and fishermen.
At the moment the St Albans lake looks like the most promising candidate.
Rob.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 319
1st Jun 2017 17:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29575

Hi Robbob,

I know what you mean! I have no model boats clubs near me.
The closest one in about 38 miles from me!
There is how ever two ponds close to my home.
There about 1/2 mile in either direction from me.
My problem is there not model boat friendly ponds.
It's a hassle trying to put the boats in the water.
But when you do it's a lot of fun...
hope you get to run your boat soon.

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Rex3644
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 7
2nd Jun 2017 18:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29600

Good afternoon Robob have been following your build with interest. If you're from WGC I would suggest you look us up at the Stevenage model boat club. Very wide range of scale boats electric sailed Thursday afternoons from 2.00pm.
Look us up on the website for full details.

Rex3644
(Sub-Lieutenant)

2nd Jun 2017 18:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29601

Me again I see you live in North London. I travel to Stevenage most weeks from Milton Keynes where we have overpriced and undersubscribed clubs. The journey time is about an hour but makes it an event to look forward to each week. The lake is about 10mins from th A1M Stevenage turn and no weed.

robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Jun 2017 20:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29602

Hi Rex3644
I had not considered Stevenage as it's a fair distance from me but it should deserve a visit.
I'm planning another visit to St Albans this Sunday morning and then possibly on to Stevenage for a look at the Millenium lake.
Thanks for you suggestion, I appreciate your response.
Rob

Rex3644
(Sub-Lieutenant)

2nd Jun 2017 21:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29603

Sunday morning is normally set aside for I/C but I have never been on this day but I do have I/C boats screaming to be used again. When you have turned into Fairlands Valley Park keep driving past the main car park down to the cafe which is on the left. You can park just past this building opposite the Sailing club.
The club use the second lake they have a slipway and rescue boat.
Hope this info is useful and you have a good visit

robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jun 2017 16:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29692

I have just returned from an enjoyable day out visiting The St Albans and Stevenage lakes with my wife, son-in-law and granddaughter on a sunny and warm day.
I arrived at St Albans late morning and had a very informative chat with a delightful chap called Alan who had finished sailing for the day but he very kindly took the time to advise me of some of the water hazards and general information about the lake and the local club.
Moving on to Stevenage in the early afternoon, the water was quite calm and weed free but there was no boating activity for some while until a chap arrived with a fast electric boat that was astonishingly fast and maneuverable for it's small size. He also imparted some useful information but he was only an occasional user of the lake and not a member of any club.
So, all in all, time well spent for me and the family and useful information gleaned.
St. Albans still looks favourite though 😁.