Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
July 2017: 14 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 26 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (10)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > bargain of the day
bargain of the day
(655 views)
marky
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 54
23rd Jun 2017 15:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30522

Nip down to your local Lidl for the bargain of the day hands free magnifier with clamps ,soldering bolt holder ,LED lights (batteries included )all for the vast price of £4.99

Attached Files - Click To View Large

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 317
23rd Jun 2017 15:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30523

I have something just like that.
But with out the magnifying glass!
You got a great bargain!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
marky
(Lieutenant)

23rd Jun 2017 16:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30524

They were also selling soldering bolts (price unknown)a Dremil type tool for around £25 and a large set of different tools for it at £ 7.99 and it had a 3 year guarantee , may nip back in tomorrow and get one

Midlife306
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 60
23rd Jun 2017 17:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30527

I got a modellers jig saw from Lidl, fantastic piece of kit & cheap too👍
Cheers
Wayne

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 491
24th Jun 2017 10:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30543

Shucks! Lidl UK OK - Lidl Germany nix 🤔
By the way - what's a soldering 'bolt' ??
Cheers Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living!" 😉 Doug
marky
(Lieutenant)

24th Jun 2017 10:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30546

sorry soldering bolts may be a bit old school ,i was originally a tin smith to trade and to solder the tin and/or copper we used to use big soldering irons (bolts)that were heated in a small gas oven rather than being the more modern electric type ,i have some somewhere i will dig them out and take a picture ,

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2017 11:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30547

OK / now I'm with you😉 I know what you mean, just never heard 'em called bolts before. You live an' learn 😊 Cheers Doug 😎

marky
(Lieutenant)

26th Jun 2017 19:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30645

Hi Doug here are the old skool tools ,couldn't find the hatchet bolts (irons) these are some of the smaller ones 12 ounce 8oz and the wee 4oz these need to be re-tinned shows how often these are used now ,only used when I step in and do a demo for students .

marky
(Lieutenant)

26th Jun 2017 19:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30646

oops forgot the pics here they are now

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1171
26th Jun 2017 21:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30648

Hi Marky
Our Blacksmith has a portable furnace like this when he come to shoe the horses.
Dad used to have a big (12oz) copper soldering iron just like this. He used a gas ring to heat it. Used to solder and repair car radiators. He also had a Wolf electric iron with a similar sized head.
Great big 14"sq solder rods and Bakers Flux. Health and Safety would probably have a fit if they saw you using it today.
Good to see that there are still others who have used and still have this skill.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
marky
(Lieutenant)

26th Jun 2017 22:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30650

Hi Dave ,it a is a portable gas forge , i work at the university and we had to get rid of our coal forge due to being in a smokless zone so moved to gas easy ,cleaner and quicker ,still use the bolts, tinmans solder and bakers soldering fluid ,health and safety are fine with me using them ,do you know if your dad used to hold the bolt near his cheek to feel if it was hot enough .cheers Mark

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1171
26th Jun 2017 22:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30651

Hi marky
It was some years ago but I think I do have a recollection of him doing something like that. I was far more interested in seeing the solder melt and flow into the joint. Must have stood me in good stead as I have always had no problem with soldering ever since. Well not if I prepare correctly anyway.
Happy days dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Jun 2017 09:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30676

Hi Marky, Yep I remember Grandad using these. No so good today for SMD work!!
As early as I can remember my Dad had a 25W electric iron, strangely with a war dept. arrow mark on it 😉 I still have it and it is still going strong.
Cheers Doug 😎

marky
(Lieutenant)

27th Jun 2017 12:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30681

Starting to feel a bit old after reading that folks grandpas used to have one just like it and I am still using them today, also have the 25w electric but prefer the old, old style ,your right Doug not exactly the right tool for that small delicate hold it in your fingers work strangely enough electrical work just seems to melt it must be my technique

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Jun 2017 15:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30689

Hot stuff eh? 😉😁
For the really small stuff I have a micro-electric, 1mm bit, thermostat control etc etc. Saves on blown up components🤔
For 'heavy engineering' a 50W broad bit (1/4") or a gas torch for brazing and hard silver soldering. Must dig 'em out and clean 'em up again 😉

johnfastboat
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 2
27th Jun 2017 20:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30695

High Marky,
Couldn't help but notice people are callong you DOUG or am I confusing you with another reply?
Firstly I have bought from Lidl on many occasions. There German and quality as you would expect goes with that. Just don't leave it too long buying when it's gone it's gone and very unlikely to be repeated.

Mr RN in MUNICH. You do not have many Scots on board Munich boats RN or Not. Ask any SCOT who has an engineering background what a 'BOLT' is and he will reply it is a soldering iron. I learnt the hard way when with BT many years ago whilst in Scotland.

All the very best to all you modellers.
John Fastboat. Now in Rochdale, Lancashire.

J P Saterlay
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Jun 2017 20:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30696

Hi Johnfast, This is Doug, alias RNinMunich! 😉
Sorry I'm a Sassenach, originally from Folkestone in Kent, about as far away from Scotland as you can get! 🤔 Shame actually as I have a passion for single malts, esp. Oban, Lagavulin and Jura 😜
By the time I studied engineering (in London, electronics sandwich course with 6 months in industry between semesters) electricity was available pretty well everywhere 😉😉 For us a bolt was something that needed a nut and a couple of washers 😁 BTW; how are the dilithium crystals!?? 😁
Cheers Doug 😎 Now in Munich, Bavaria. 😉

marky
(Lieutenant)

27th Jun 2017 21:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30698

In the good old days before health and safety meant health and safety we used to make our own soldering flux called killed spirits this was made by dissolving zinc in hydrochloric acid this gave off unpleasant fumes that guaranteed to clear your tubes this was really good for soldering galvanized ,there is probably a chemist somewhere who could do a chemical formula .we later started using Bakers soldering fluid in the USA I think they use ruby fluid the other thing we used was Salamoniac which came in the form of a block this has got me in the mood for a bit of soldering

teejay
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 4
29th Jun 2017 16:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30750

Hi all first response to another post subject, regarding bolts/ soldering bolts
as an engineer patternmaker who served his time in Scotland and work in most types of manufacturing here and has used soldering bolts for the construction of tin-lead patterns I testify that bolts have nuts and soldering bolts/irons are or where known as soldering bolts/irons weather the were powered or oven heated

marky
(Lieutenant)

29th Jun 2017 16:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30756

different tools have different names around the country I call a hole drift a podger and a tap wrench is a dwang there will be others that will spring to mind as I remember them ill put them up