Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 4 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (22)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > new brighton model boat lake
new brighton model boat lake
(1159 views)
nutrunner
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 14
27th Aug 2017 17:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32413

hi all had a great few hrs on the boating lake today, with my 2 boats , it was my first time there and met some great lads will be going again

Attached Files - Click To View Large

LFC YNWA
neilmc
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 79
27th Aug 2017 22:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32428

I live over in Fareham and that looks ideal with people who sail the type of boat we have interests in on the site. Tried a couple of lakes local but mostly yachts or really big stuff. Does the lake have many people turn up each weekend?

Learning so much more with each reply to my posts. One day I may have a boat in the water 🤔
nutrunner
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 14
28th Aug 2017 14:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32462

ye its always busy , and very popular near to shops- pubs -cafes and restaurants right on the sea front

LFC YNWA
rolfman2000
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 104
29th Aug 2017 22:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32539

Your boats look nice on there Leonard. I hope you've had the chance to let RIP with the the Fairey Swordsman ? That looks a good place to sail. Is a club only lake, or can anyone sail ? Happy sailing mate, Dave 😊

epmbcmember
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 16
29th Aug 2017 23:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32545

New Brighton boating lake is Ok, about chest deep should your boat sink and it is open to the public, it is right on the promenade. They have had swans and seagulls on the pool, kids swimming, kids wanting to touch boats if they get close to the edge(the boats that is) and once had a car in there I believe. There is a club that sails there with nice helpful members. They have a small storage container on site. Handy access for cars with a small car park adjacent to the pool.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1428
30th Aug 2017 09:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32550

I used to sail there in the 1970s and it is a good site. As previously mentioned there are times when the wildlife and Public can be a problem but the setting right on the promenade is beautiful and you get lots of fresh sea air.
There is also another similar sized lake outside Hoylake Lifeboat station and West Kirby have access to the lake in the park so the area is well served for model boaters.
All have resident clubs so plenty of helpful and friendly advice.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
rolfman2000
(Admiral)

30th Aug 2017 10:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32553

Thanks guys. What I was really asking is, as i live in the midlands, and visit friends in either area, do they allow visiting boaters to use the lake ? Or are they local club users only ? I am hoping the answer is the former, as our club W.M.B.C. always welcomes boaters from other areas if they happen to drop in. Cheers guys, Dave W 😊

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Aug 2017 12:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32556

I believe they are all Public and the clubs will certainly welcome fellow modellers. Just make sure you introduce yourself before switching on and sailing to avoid any frequency clashes!

They may require you have Public Liability Insurance if you are sailing when the club is in attendance, and as they are in a Public area it would be in your best interests to have such cover.
I sail in Cheshire with Crewe MBC at Boundary Park, near Knutsford on a private lake but we welcome visiting members and have Club Insurance to cover visiting modellers as guests.

I'm assuming you are not talking IC, steam or very fast electrics as many waters have restrictions on such use.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
rolfman2000
(Admiral)

30th Aug 2017 12:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32559

Most of my models are the old Aerokits models, or modern versions of, so none fall into those categories. I sail what I like to think of as "normal boat models". Most are capable of more than 4mph, but do get a move on when asked to 😉 And finally, yes, as a member of Worcester Model Boat Club, i do have PLI, and would wear my club lanyard so to prove. Thanks for your replies Dave M. Best wishes, Dave W 😊

lindowbunny
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
30th Aug 2017 13:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32567

Hi, New Brighton lake is a great venue, very easy access, I live in North wales and Rhyl council allow model boats on the marine lake as long as there are no water skiers using it , it is salt water though and huge, if you break down you would need a rescue boat Real or R C.
Eirias park Colwyn Bay has an excellent model boat lake open to the public.👍

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 185
30th Aug 2017 22:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32590

As I recall New Brighton model boating lake it is only about 2' deep. I fell in once. In fact was pushed in when I was about 10. I was tall for my age and when I stood up it only came up to mid thigh. They might have made it deeper though when they revamped it. Re Rhyl Marine lake. I'm not absolutely sure but I think is only a few feet deep and wadeable.It has to be for public safety .Novice boaters being what they are etc. Originally marshland it was turned into a water park with slides etc. An additional reason for being shallow I think. It is the only salt-water lake left in North Wales.Along side the lake runs the oldest miniature railway in Britain. . Nice steam engine. Could be more than one. Here is the site
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g616283-d378... Enjoy with family. There are lots of other attractions round the corner on prom road. Enjoy

Baggie
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 15
31st Aug 2017 07:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32593

Looks great... will go there when I'm next South

Baggie
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 15
31st Aug 2017 07:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32594

New Brighton boat lake looks fabulous. Eating park in No👍rwich is well worth going to 👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1126
31st Aug 2017 07:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32597

South from Norwich?
You're thinking of Brighton, East Sussex! This is New Brighton - Wallasey! Near Liverpool.

Eaton Park in Norwich sounds good
http://friendsofeatonpark.co.uk/boats-and-trains/

Cheers Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
epmbcmember
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 16
31st Aug 2017 09:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32598

Correct onetenor, the original pool was only about 2 feet deep. However when the council agreed to the supermarket next to it it had to be moved. They promised that they would build the new one with the same amount of water, they did!! by increasing the depth and reducing the surface area, hence leaving the model boaters with a smaller usable pool. Never ever trust local councils!!!!

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

31st Aug 2017 13:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32602

I don't trust any Politician, local or otherwise!
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
canabus
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 71
31st Aug 2017 13:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32604

Politician's only have one problem, their mouths!!!!

Canabus

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

31st Aug 2017 15:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32608

At least it shows when they are Telling lies👍

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

31st Aug 2017 15:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32609

RN is that you Munich pool?

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1126
31st Aug 2017 17:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32610

Hi onetenor (I'm still wondering what happened to the other one😉)

No that's not my pool, it's a pic taken off the Eaton (not Eating!) Park, Norwich website.
Here's my local 'pond'. In the Ostpark in east Munich.
The building in the background is an excellent restaurant with terrace jutting out into the lake, with a Biergarten in front. That's where we operate from 👍😋😉very convenient, all mod cons!
Cheers Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 329
3rd Sep 2017 08:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32695

New Brighton (Wirral), Hoylake, West Kirby (Ashton Park) Gautby Road (Birkenhead) all on the Wirral Peninsula, and all within 30 mins of each other, are public lakes, anyone can sail on them, with the exception of ic and I believe only NB allows steam. Gautby road will allow ic, they have a club that races there on certain days.
Out of courtesy, if the clubs are in attendance, its nuce to say hello. Ashton Park is an ornamental lake with wildlife, so sailing area is a bit restricted, and you can get a lot of public "tut tuts" if sailing in nesting season etc. This lake might have private permission, and tbh isn't worth the mither when the other lakes are so close.
Gautby road is by far the best, however in an area that attracts a load of kids, and the odd "tinny" drinker. I go there with an eye to the surroundings, if you know what I mean, its got one way in, one way out, but is a fantastic lake with water that is right to the top.
Hop through the Mersey tunnel, and you also have newshaw Park in Liverpool, 20 mins away, big lake with a club, and public.
We are well served in this area👍

To give you an idea of the lakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DUO2JS8FfY

My 4 ft Fireboat at Hoylake (that box has now been removed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5-YmmElIfk

My 4 ft Huntsman at Gautby Road (not great quality sorry)

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 191
3rd Sep 2017 09:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32697

Lucky so and so, my nearest legal lake is 30 miles away, my usual sailing days mean an hours drive along B roads or non classified. An hour to two hours sailing and natter to other members then an hours drive home. As I'm a pensioner I can't afford more than once a month. Also no other members live near me to share costs with, but never mind I still enjoy it when I can. Happy sailing to one and all.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
boaty
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 30
2nd Nov 2017 18:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35243

New Brighton lake is ideal as it has parking close by and it appears to be very clean. Easy to launch your models as water level is high by having raised concrete walls around the perimeter.

For speed enthusiasts there is a much larger lake on Wirral in Gautby Rd were I.C models are allowed and the lake also hosts an excellent model yacht club.

Boaty😊

Dave Keech
Captain-Steve
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 9
5th Nov 2017 15:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35355

Looks a nice lake ...Is it salt water or fresh water

boaty
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 30
5th Nov 2017 19:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35384

Hi Steve

Its fresh water but the much larger Marine Lake a quarter of a mile up the road is salt water.

I don't know if you are allowed to sail models there. I used it once in the 1990s with a fast electric but had to flush out the cooling system after.

Went in the early morning when it was quiet so I didn't get spotted.

Boaty😊

Dave Keech
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Nov 2017 23:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35400

Doug .Re which one (other tenor/s ) they were few and far between and came and went . I was always welcomed to any opera company or choir I went to. Hence ( THE ) ONE TENOR The Marine lake is like Rhyl's. Useable as long as no other users. Wadeable but watch out for debris and broken glass etc. Don't go in barefoot. In fact that is good advice on any water. People seem to delight in throwing rubbish into any stretch of water. Idiots.👍