Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
February 2019: 7 people
January 2019: 16 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 10 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (20)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Deans Seaplane tender
Deans Seaplane tender
(1582 views)
epmbcmember
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 26
29th Aug 2017 07:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32496

Deans Seaplane tender calls for a 400 motor with a Bobs Board!! When I asked then for an alternative, ie. brushless motor and esc with lipo batteries they could not help as their built model had the aforesaid 400 motor and bobs board in. Can anyone suggest what more modern kit I could use to power the boat. I must say the kit and instructions are first class.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1527
29th Aug 2017 08:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32497

Hi
Just had a quick Google as I was not sure of the size.
There was the very same item on our For Sale section 5 years ago:
"Deans Marine 1/24th Scale British Power Boat Co. Seaplane Tender
Includes JP Power 400 Motor, Deans (MTronics) ESC, 5Cell NiMh Battery."
That being the case any small brushless 28XX size with a Kv of around 1000 and 30 amp esc and 30 -35 mm 3 blade brass prop should suffice. I have similar in my 34" Fireboat and use an 11.1v Lipo.
If you are new to LiPo you do need a dedicated LiPo charger and be aware that unlike other battery technology they pack a very heavy punch. You must follow the charging regime to the letter and make sure you do not overdischarge when running the model.
There are some rather frightening U-tube videos of what happens if you ignore the rules!
That said I have been using LiPos for several years now without any major problem, but I am always aware of the risks and make sure I don't take any unnecessary risks
Good luck
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
epmbcmember
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 26
29th Aug 2017 15:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32516

Many thanks Dave M. I have got a 2826 brushless motor, a 30a esc and a 7.4 lipo battery, all from Component Shop. I am told nobody makes a motor mount for outrunner brushless motors, or is there a source for them out there somewhere.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Aug 2017 15:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32517

SHG have mounts in their catalogue that they say are suitable for brushed and brushless. Just make sure the bolts you use are short so that they do not damage the coils on the motor.
As you have opted for a LiPo do please charge and use in accordance with the instructions
Please keep us posted
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2547
29th Aug 2017 15:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32519

Or the Robbe 400.
I have a 2830 sitting quite happily on one of these. 😉
Screws provided with the motor fit perfectly with no danger of screwing up the coils.
Krick also have an aluminium equivalent.
Cheers Doug 😎
PS This black one from Robbe (now Romarin under Krick!) is carbon reinforced plastic. 👍 Part number 42117. Link to Krick site in English-
http://www.krickshop.de/?shop=krick_e

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Aug 2017 22:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32540

Hi Doug
Krick may be good if you are in Germany but their shipping charges are 14.99 Euro to the UK so it makes goods rather costly.
I didn't pay that much for my two KMB water jets from Germany and sounders from the Netherlands so it must be the delivery service they are using.
If we ask Wayne perhaps he will 3D print a mount for us😁
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Aug 2017 23:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32542

Hi Dave, Sorry to hear that, depends in relation to what you order I suppose, may also depend on the order value, not uncommon with European suppliers! Most Krick or Robbe / now Romarin odds and ends or equivalents are also available in UK. Check their web site for distributors. My hints were just that; hints and tips.
I've also noticed the same phenomenon with UK suppliers. Most of the 'stuff' I'm buying for the Sea Scout etc refit is via Hobbyking. That's why I mostly reference them when possible. Doug
PS will you do the CAD design for the mount? 😉

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Aug 2017 23:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32543

@ Dave_m, BTW: Who are SHG? Do you have a URL for them?
Doug

Flack
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 171
29th Aug 2017 23:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32546

SHG are a small husband and wife model company based in Staffordshire who manufacture and supply model boat bits:

http://www.shgmodels.com

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Aug 2017 23:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32547

Hi Dave, Sorry I mean Flack! odd! They were already in my Bookmark file, but don't seem to manufacture anything, just resale.
Doug😎

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Aug 2017 09:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32549

Hi Doug
Postal charges can add substantially to the cost. The charges from Krick are very high especially to the UK. Their website postal charges page suggests they only ship many items to Germany. So much for the EU being an open market!
Our members are from across the globe so our USA and Australian friends will also have their own resident suppliers.
HobbyKing as you say are Worldwide - just be careful which warehouse you buy from!
We have many UK suppliers who sell a whole range of kits and fittings and I use Google to find local suppliers.
SHGmodels are long established and do carry a vast range of bits and pieces for the model builder.
Sorry no, I am not going to produce a 3D motor mount. No doubt someone will eventually do so via Thingiverse! Wayne must be on hols again.
Was going to sail my Schooner today but there is no wind!!!
Happy days
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave