Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2017: 12 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 22 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (10)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > JOINING BATTERY & RECEIVER CABLE
JOINING BATTERY & RECEIVER CABLE
(235 views)
Les-Forbes
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 58
17th Sep 2017 19:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33317

I want to cut the battery lead to my receiver in order to incorporate an on/of switch. Can I just join up the two new peices of wire with insulating tape. Will it matter if the two wires are slightly different thicknesses. I would use some sort of insulting tape to complete. Or would what I am contemplating doing, give me some big headaches at some point.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 189
17th Sep 2017 19:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33318

You would be better to solder and cover with shrink tube that would ensure problem free running. As to wire try to keep as near to original as possible. Good day Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
Wingcoax
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 11
17th Sep 2017 19:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33319

Very likely to give you migraine. visit your local model shop or look online for the correct switch harness to match your radio gear, that way the plugs will match.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1087
17th Sep 2017 21:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33321

Hi Les, if you can't solder DON'T CUT ANYTHING! How would you want to connect the switch anyway?
What you need is this
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/jst-male-female-with-on-off-s...
I don't recommend insulating tape for anything on a model boat! After a while the glue leaches out and makes everything sticky 😡 --> Emergency repairs only !
If you do cut wires and insert a switch Colin is quite right; soldering and heat shrink sleeve is the way to do it. Wire at least same thickness as the original. You would only need to cut the red wire anyway.
But much easier to use the switch above and the existing plugs. Don't cost the earth.😉
Cheers Doug 😎
PS What a difference one little letter can make! Would love to hear what 'insulting' tape has to say for itself 😉

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Les-Forbes
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 58
18th Sep 2017 16:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33356

Ah Insulting Tape. LOL. That's for Donald Trump. I think I may have ordered the wrong switch fitting. I thought they were all the same. But the one I received does not fit the receiver, its a tad too fat. Perhaps I can return it for the correct fitting. Problem is I not at all versed in the various pugs types and associated names for them.

You have been courageous in stopping me kill this little bit of apparatus. Not wishing to waste my time on this murder, I applied two new transfers to the little Proboat Westward 18 in preparation for its initial sail. I have three ponds I can go to, Knightswood Boat Club, Elderpark Boat Club and Richmond Park Boat Club. All within fifteen minutes drive of me. The suspense is killing me. Thanks again.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1087
18th Sep 2017 16:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33357

Hi Les, then I assume that you need something like this harness with JR/Hitec male & female plug/socket. This one also has a third plug for connecting the battery to a charger when the switch is in the off position.
DON'T use this feature if you are using a LiPo battery!!
There are several other versions without this third plug available here
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/futaba-charging-switch-harnes...

I guess the RX battery is a fairly small NiMH and also has the JR type plug.
BTW: something to check before switching on-
Does your speed controller have a BEC circuit? If so it supplies the RX as well so you don't need an RX battery at all.
Or doesn't your yacht have any auxiliary motor and ESC?
Happy sailing, Cheers Doug 😎
Looking forward to the video of the insulting tape 😁😉 or is that what I keep seeing on the news with Mr T??

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug