Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 6 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 5 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (27)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > GLASS FIBRE
GLASS FIBRE
(92 views)
RHBaker
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 87
25th Sep 2017 22:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33608

Heard from one source that if glass-fibre is heated it can be shaped or worked. Have also heard that if it is left in the sun this again softens it and makes it easier to shape.
Have never tried either technique and am loath to risk a glass-fibre hull as a test specimen.
Can anybody corroborate either of these stories or suggest a way it can be shaped?
Have always assumed it was virtually rigid and, apart from gentle tugs into place, that was as far as it could be manipulated.
Appreciate any thoughts. If it can be heated, about how much is enough and not too much?

teejay
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 5
25th Sep 2017 22:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33610

having used glass fibre most of my working life , I have never used heat too shape or alter the shape of any glass fibre item. how ever I have used the resin to make long shaped items (without the glass fibre ) and use boiling water to shape them to form on another shape ,such some of the decoration on post boxes ( patterns for casting)

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1351
26th Sep 2017 10:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33627

I have to agree with teejay.
Heat will certainly not be good and may result in fire if excessive.
Casting usually have a gel coat (any colour) applied to the mould followed by the mat/cloth and resin. Once hardened it form a rigid and strong structure. Model hulls have frames and spacers attached to the open top to maintain the correct shape. If the mould has been stored for some time without this support it can become deformed at the open edges and gently heat can be used to help reform to the correct shape.
I suspect this is where you heard about the heating.
I would not heat much above hand heat and make sure you spread the heat all over the area to avoid local hot spots. If you are allowed a warm bath may be a suitable container.
If you make a wooden frame to the correct size this can be used to gently spread the mould to the correct shape. I suggest you then place the hull upside down on a flat building board and hold square until dry.
Cheers
dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
RHBaker
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 87
26th Sep 2017 22:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33683

Thanks both for your replies. Obviously not a good idea and another one I will shelve.