Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (24)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > displaying at vintage and steam rallies.
displaying at vintage and steam rallies.
(1185 views)
Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 410
9th Feb 2018 13:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38427

Just a few of my boats on display at shows last year. Its great being able to talk about ones hobby and get others interested. Some of the shows supply a small paddling pool so I can let youngsters have a go. Hope to see more of you at shows in the future. I usually take about 20/30 models and on 2 day shows change the display on the 2nd day. And my wife usually takes about 250 die-cast model lorries and buses. Along with a 1.76th scale circus for her display.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1527
9th Feb 2018 16:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38441

Good looking display.

Live long and prosper

Dave
Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Feb 2018 16:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38444

Thanks Dave, I try to promote the hobby as best I can, wife says I get too enthusiastic when explaining how the models are built and how they work. But if people ask I'm happy to answer.

COLIN.
ads90
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 38
9th Feb 2018 17:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38446

Nice display Colin but how do you transport them to the exhibitions ? I take 3 boats to the exhibitions we attend and that is enough - have you got an HGV then ?😊

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Feb 2018 18:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38449

I built a trailer specially for the job, there are three shelves each side full length of trailer. The size is 8' x 4' by 4' high inside. Also the walls are covered with thin foam rubber, the shelves have holes for fixing the boat stands down, the suspension is soft but well damped. Needs it on roads round here.
Will try to put a sketch together when I get back to my computer.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
SelwynWilliams
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 40
9th Feb 2018 19:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38454

Don't forget Chickerell Steam Fair, 30th June & 1st July, display tent for models plus lake for demonstrations.

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Feb 2018 20:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38455

Here's a quick sketch of trailer outline, the axle and tow-bar was from an old trailer tent, it has brakes and is capable of carrying 1 ton easily. The frame work is mostly 40x40x3mm angle iron on a base chassis of 50x75x6mm box section. The panels are 9mm marine ply with plastic coated steel over for the roof, (which is removable for tall loads.) the sides are 12mm marine ply and the floor is 18mm ply. Semi elliptical springs from a van, shock absorbers from a motor bike. 12" wheels with commercial tyres to comply with law.(NEVER USE CAR TYRES) Its fitted with reversing lights and warning bleeper. Hope this is helpful . Cheers Colin.👍

COLIN.
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 405
10th Feb 2018 01:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38466

@Colin H Why not car tyres Colin?👍

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Feb 2018 09:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38471

Illegal to have trailer on car tyres, something about ply rating for trailers over 250kg unladen and carrying capacity. If you check with tyre outlets they will explain. My trailer weighs in at 293kgs unladen and has carrying capacity of 1750kgs. Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1527
10th Feb 2018 09:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38472

Some trailer Colin. My caravan was 1250kg and that had to have reinforced tyres. My local independent supplier usually managed to source part used as I was not using frequently. In fact the tyres were often out of date before the tread went and I believe that is often the cause of a failure. I took my tyres off every year and had them checked including the spare. Best to be sure as a burst tyre on a towed vehicle can be costly as well as a danger to other users.

Live long and prosper

Dave
Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Feb 2018 09:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38473

I do the same each year, also store trailer without wheels in winter on axle stands which bolt on to hubs to replace the wheels. Also acts as anti theft device, which my insurers like.

COLIN.
Ron
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 173
11th Feb 2018 14:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38502

Back to your display, Colin, very impressive array in your Harbour. I see why you were interested in where the Gypsy sailboat came from. You get the plans off the computer or I can get you one.

battleshipbuff
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 9
11th Feb 2018 19:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38507

Where do you exhibit Colin?
I run one of the largest model marquees in Cornwall,and have connections with others in the SW..
We are always on the lookout for new exhibitors,and I can assure you you would be made very welcome at the shows down here with your good ladies display also.Perhaps you would care to contact me please?
Many Thanks
Mick F