Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (10)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > 3D sanding discs.
3D sanding discs.
(977 views)
Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 415
14th Feb 2018 23:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38638

Hi all, I'm really struggling to locate some new sanding discs for my BOHLER 3D Sander. It takes 1.5" doughnut discs with the felt backs for quick change. I would like 120/240/400 grit. Anyone know of where I can get some from. I've located some in the USA, but much too costly.
Thanks guys I really miss this tool as it's perfect for compound curves on small hulls.
Cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
dave-of-the-yard
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
15th Feb 2018 07:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38644

Got mine from maxwell in North shields, plus from stalls in boat shows,as a stopgap buy the larger ones and cut them to size.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2332
15th Feb 2018 08:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38646

Hi Colin, seems Bohler lost interest in the Minitool range about 9 years ago and it was taken over by a company called Kaleas! I think you'll find what you need down near the bottom of this page -
https://www.kaleas.de//kaleas.cgi?action=show&sessionID=4509...

Cheers Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Feb 2018 08:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38647

'lost interest' not quite right!
Seems Daniel Böhler merged his company into that of Thomas Vollrath to form Kaleas GmBH (German form of Ltd.) together.
Whatever, hope the 'sanding rings' do the job. € 5.20 for 9 pieces don't seem too steep 😉
Cheers Doug 😎

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Feb 2018 18:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38683

Thanks Dave and Doug. Will check them out. Have tried cutting down larger discs but don't last as getting them true is almost impossible as the material they are made of is too stiff and crumble. The proper ones are cloth
backed and very flexible.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Feb 2018 19:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38693

Here are the originals.

COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Feb 2018 20:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38697

Hi Colin, that's exactly what you will get from Kaleas. The new company took over the production facilities of the old Böhler company.
Happy 'schleifing', in German a sander is a 'Schleifgerät' 😉
You piqued my interest, will shortly be ordering the Mini-schleifgerät from Kaleas. They have a good range of other Minitools as well👍 thanks for the pointer! Cheers Doug 😎
PS In desperation have also sometimes tried cutting down 'standard' material to fit mini machines, with very mixed results 🤔 More trouble than it is often worth.

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Feb 2018 20:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38701

Thanks Doug, went on KALEAS site and am awaiting a reply about what grades are available, also available is a new version of the 3D sander for 29euros. I've asked if they are available in the united kingdom.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Feb 2018 20:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38704

Glad to help Colin, hope you get what you want. As far as I can see the finest grade is 240. But when you get that far you can finish off with 400/600 by hand, and/or with a soft rubber sanding block.
I think the Mini-sander is meant more for shaping than final finish / polishing.
If I can help with correspondence (German-wise!) let me know, be glad to help. 'Icha sprecha da Lingo!' 😉😉 Cheers, Doug 😎

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 458
16th Feb 2018 01:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38720

Hi Doug!

When I purchased the then Robbe Neptune.
I sure could have used you.
Some 30-35 yrs ago!
to translate the instructions they came in German!
It took a bit of doing.
translating but, I built the model!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Feb 2018 09:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38730

Hi Ed, I may not have too much use to you back then!🤔
I arrived here 32 years ago so I've had 3 decades to get my German up to speed. It was very 'schoolboyish' when I arrived 😉 But you soon learn - 'Sink or swim'. Glad to hear you managed anyway 👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Feb 2018 12:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38736

Hi Colin,
Shucks!! Found two versions of the 3D sander, XL for €79, Multi-Motion for €129. But both Sold Out, RATS! 😡
https://www.kaleas.de//kaleas.cgi?action=show&sessionID=8747...

There is another version for € 84.30 but looks a bit boxy and not so ergonomic. 🤔
https://www.kaleas.de//kaleas.cgi?action=show&sessionID=8747...

Ciao, Doug

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Feb 2018 20:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38775

Lucky I've still got my old Bohler, paid £19-99 for it in 1998. Used on many projects including 4 real boats that my dad renovated in the last few years of his life. So far it has had about 200 hours of use and never let me down. I have replaced the brushes once so far but have 2 more sets just in case. 2 years ago I bought 50 sets of discs from a model shop that was closing, the entire stock, but am down to last 2 sets. So hopefully a new supplier shortly if shipping costs and import taxes not too high. Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Feb 2018 21:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38781

Evenin' Colin, Yep, the Böhler stuff seems to be built like the proverbial 'brick s**t house' 😉
You shouldn't have any import tax / duty to pay as long as UK is still in the EU! Same goes for me ordering stuff the other way round, so I'm stocking up a bit (Component Shop, Deans etc) before Theresa and co screw everything up for us🤔 Cheers Doug 😎
Just a thought: if push comes to shove then for such small items I could order them here and send on by post! Hope it doesn't come to that but you never know with the current crop of politicians, both sides of the Channel! The mess the Germans have made over the last 5 months reminds me of Italy, but then they change governments more often - but much much quicker. More practice I suppose 😉