Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
September 2018: 10 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (12)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Identifying Antique Model Boat
Identifying Antique Model Boat
(504 views)
Dblonski
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
25th Feb 2018 23:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39156

I inherited this boat from my Grandpa. I am looking for help identifying it. Has nothing on it hinting at origin. Any ideas?

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 365
26th Feb 2018 09:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39157

It looks like a representation of the Mayflower. Although it could just be a display model of a general type.
Best of luck Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2205
26th Feb 2018 20:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39179

Nope, definitely not Mayflower!🤔 (Pic 1) (Pic 2 replica thereof)
Judging by the high forecastle looks much earlier, possibly more like Columbus' Santa Maria (Pics 3&4 replica thereof). Most likely though just a loose generic representation (as Colin suggests) of 13 to 14th century ship. Happy researching, cheers Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
pugwash1
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 11
26th Feb 2018 21:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39183

Well Doug, the mayflower has been made by many, some based on other vessels of the time and some from conjecture. I do think the vessel has the look of Spain. is there any indication that the model was Hung from the largest of the masts as my first reaction was that it is a "Votive" they were hung in churches near the ports and were sailors were prayed for by family and friends. For those visitors to the church would remember the sailors and the life of danger. So, have a look and see. Another thought is that the model was made for the Columbia Exposition held in Chicago (May 1 1893 through October 30th, a lot of souvenir models were made as the fair was to celebrate the 400th anniversary of when Columbus discovered the new world, all the models were different with thinly thing they had in common was the name-----you guessed it, the Santa Maria"! Good luck pal, write back soon, you have peaked my curiosity.

pugwash1
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 11
26th Feb 2018 21:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39185

Just a quick thought; I see you are in Munich, the German national engineering and industry museum is down near the river. I would take it to the curator responsible for the ton of super ship models there (recommend it to all ship folk)! they also house the U1 sub. they should be able to aid you in your quest.👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2205
26th Feb 2018 22:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39188

Hi pugwash, yes I also thought of the Columbia exhibition and I think you are on the right track with the 'Votive', i.e. a generic representation as Colin and I also conjectured. But it's not me with this curious model, it's Dblonski who inherited it!
Yes I am in Munich, and I have visited the Deutsches Museum (German Science & Technology Museum) many times, it's not down by the river (the Isar) it's IN the river on an island, Museum Insel! I have seen the U-1 there several times and the museum was very helpful in my research on the Type 1A U Boat I built many moons ago and must now refit!
Cheers Doug 😎
PS used to like Cap'n Pugwash on the telly when I was a kid, jolly music 😊

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
Dblonski
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
26th Feb 2018 22:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39191

It doesn't seem to have been hung by its mast. Mast doesn't appear strong enough to support weight. Very interesting, thanks for all your insight so far.

Cheers,
Daren