Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (30)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Help
Help
(490 views)
Gerry1
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 4
27th Feb 2018 19:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39234

Hi i am building a 1:32 pt boat with 3 motors, what props speed control and batteries would I need please. Thank you

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 489
27th Feb 2018 19:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39235

we need to know what motors your intending to use first.

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
Gerry1
(Petty Officer)

27th Feb 2018 19:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39236

I don't know

Gerry1
(Petty Officer)

27th Feb 2018 19:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39237

I don't have any yet

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2332
27th Feb 2018 21:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39241

Hi Gerry, welcome aboard 👍
Don't mind some of our crustier Fleet Admirals😉, they mean well and have a wealth of knowledge 😉 First some basics (and forgive me if I'm preaching to the converted but the query was a bit bald to say the least!)! -
1 What experience do you have with RC boats?
2 Brushed or brushless motors? Are you aware of the pros and cons?
3 Battery: are you thinking NiMH or LiPO? Are you equipped for LiPOs, i.e. appropriate charger?
3 I assume you mean the ELCO 80 foot Patrol Torpedo Boat (PTB)?
Which at 1:32 would give a model of around 30 inches. Please confirm or let us know what original type the model should represent.
4 Are you scratch building from a plan, or from a kit?
If a kit which one? Maker?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's like computers; nothing in = nothing out!🤔 Some general rules (I know, rules are made to be bent til' they break!😉)
If you go brushed motors there is a neat dual ESC + rudder mixer on the market where you can also connect a third separate ESC for the centre motor, to give that extra OOOMPH at Full Ahead 😊
If you go brushless the basic rule is props no larger than the diameter of the motor. And use an out runner, good torque and SHOVE! Inrunners are mostly for the fly boys 😉
Guideline: last year I bought a 28" LoA model of an ELCO 80 footer PTB from another member. It's fitted with 2 x 28xx brushless motors and 30mm 3 blade screws and 2 x HobbyKing XC-10A ESCs. The builder who sold it to me said it is 'almost uncontrollable'!
Whatever you do have fun with it, but if in doubt ASK, before you dump money in the boating lake! 🤔
Good luck and best regards, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Gerry1
(Petty Officer)

27th Feb 2018 21:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39243

Yes it's an elco from plan scratch build I have built a few but only static, this is my first working and I have no knowledge about running gear

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2332
27th Feb 2018 22:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39244

Evenin' Gerry. OK understood. So I assume you have no electrical equipment, experience or components available.
Correct?
For an 'electrics novice' I am inclined to recommend you start with standard brushed motors and NiMH batteries. Cheaper and easier to manage for a novice. In which case 3 x 380/385 motors with 3 x 25mm 3 blade screws would be a good start. Can send some info on a suitable dual+1 ESC and rudder mixer tomorrow, getting late here in Munich now 😲
Don't worry there's lots of clever (been there dun that) guys here who'll help you through 😉 More later when I've cogitated a little 😊
One final thought: don't finish planking/skinning the hull until the motor mounts and prop shaft hull breakthroughs are sorted out and trial fitted for alignment. Doing that on a completed sealed hull is a pain in the you know where🤔 cheers Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!