Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (22)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Leicester boating water.
Leicester boating water.
(888 views)
Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 408
19th Mar 2018 21:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40150

Hi all, if any of you fellow modellers are from Leicester I would like to know if anyone still sails in Abbey Park. Back in the 1950's &60's my Dad and me used to sail there, larger models we took on the river down by the steps below the waterfall. Small boats on the boating lake avoiding the rowing boats. If any of you do go there I'd love some pictures as I haven't been back since leaving in 1966. BTW is Rushey Mead school still on the Melton road.
Cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
glyn44
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 24
8th Apr 2018 11:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40872

Hi Colin,
I’m in Leicester. I think that the boating like is only used for special model shows/occasions. I fairly certain that it is not used by any club, on a regular basis.
Yes, the school is still on Melton Rd, now an academy of course. Certainly much larger than it used to be.

Let's sail in calm waters
kmbcsecretary
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 211
8th Apr 2018 16:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40877

kinglear mbc now sail at the watermead park

Former tug nut now switched to sail because of health
Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Apr 2018 21:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40974

Thanks glyn44, your reply was most welcome. I went to abbey park all the time as a kid, my uncle built the ride on railway there. Does the Leicester show still take place on the park each year, I haven't been back to Leicester since leaving in1966.
And I started senior school in 1960 when Rushey Mead first opened as a boys secondary the girls were about a mile away. The school was surrounded by open wasteland and allotments. And regularly got cut off by floods.
Thanks for the memory revival, Colin.

COLIN.
glyn44
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 24
12th Apr 2018 14:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41023

I can see you haven’t been back for ages, I think the last show on the Park was about 1955 ish!

Let's sail in calm waters
Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Apr 2018 19:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41030

The last show I was at was 1965 at which I was selling ice cream alongside the Bailey bridge erected by the TA for each show. I did this in 1963/64/65. I worked for Mr Softee ice cream in my school holidays. Got me into the show for free. My sister did the same in 1970/71/72.

COLIN.
DimReaper
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 6
14th Apr 2018 17:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41083

Hi Colin
There is still a club sailing model boats on the lake, although they have a dedicated body of water for this now, sorry but i can't recall the name of the club,

Regards Steve

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

14th Apr 2018 20:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41087

Thanks Steve, I've managed to locate one of my old school mates that boated with me when we were kids. And we are going to get together in the summer and go boating and fishing again just like our school hold. It's been 54 years since we last met, he says some of the old crowd are still in touch so we may have a reunion party.
May be old and silver haired but not dead yet. Cheers Colin.

COLIN.