Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (16)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Amati chrome plated ships wheel - Help!
Amati chrome plated ships wheel - Help!
(1677 views)
Black Dog Jack
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 9
3rd Apr 2018 10:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40709

I have just taken delivery of an Amati 40mm did chrome plated ships wheel. It comes in three separate, very slippery parts which need to be secured together, but with no directions how to do it.
Can anyone recommend a good way to fix it all together?
I have tried superglue but that only got it over my fingers and everywhere else.
I am leaning towards solder, but have bottled out so far.
Any suggestions?

BigAlio
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 44
3rd Apr 2018 13:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40712

Hi black dog two part epoxy might be the way to go with your ships wheel, I would clean off the chrome plating at the joint.

teejay
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 47
3rd Apr 2018 21:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40732

Hi black dog please don't use solder , it may be chrome plate over white metal if so you could lose it as you over heat the white metal, bad experience in the past.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2484
3rd Apr 2018 23:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40740

Very likely teejay! When white metal gets hot enough it just goes 'Ploop' and all you have left is a Blob 😡 Of course if they are 'quality' they may well be chromed brass.
If in doubt I would use the super glue specially developed for photo etch.
Would help though if we had some pics of the parts, and maybe info about the source / manufacturer to see if we can find out what it's made of. cheers Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Black Dog Jack
(Chief Petty Officer)

4th Apr 2018 08:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40743

I got it from the excellent Cornwall Model Boats. Look in Amati model boat fittings on their website and select “ships wheels”. It’s the last one on the list and looks like it came of my Dad’s old Ford Pop. It arrived in a small zip lock plastic bag with no instructions or other details. Also for its size (40mm dia.) it is remarkably heavy - and very slippery. However I do this it’s going to need a jig to hold it (plasticine?) as the jointing tags are about one millimetre square.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Apr 2018 09:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40745

Hi Black Dog, yep, had already found it, also tried the Amati site.
Not very illuminating 🤔
Weight indicates more likely brass than white / 'muck' metal 😉
Nevertheless I would not solder it as it would be difficult to do without spoiling the shiny chrome finish.
I would use the photo etch super glue and to hold the bits the so called 'Helping Hand', see pics. I wouldn't use plasticine, the oil in it might interfere with the adhesion!
You're right, the wheel does look like it's from a Ford Pop 😉 My Dad had one too, the 'sit up and beg' model in the fifties, PYK421. Funny the things you remember ain' it!?
Happy sticking, don't get too 'stuck up', cheers Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Black Dog Jack
(Chief Petty Officer)

4th Apr 2018 10:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40747

Looking at your “helping hands”, which I think will be my next purchase, it occurred to me just how many “Labour saving” devices and techniques I have accumulated in some 40 years of building model boats. I don’t think there are many things that need fixing around the house that I wouldn’t have a go at thanks to the lessons learned with a hobby such as ours. I’ve gone all weepy now!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Apr 2018 11:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40749

Don't panic 😲
I'll beam you over some tissues from my Easter Island friend 😁

Attached Files - Click To View Large

teejay
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 47
4th Apr 2018 23:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40761

Hi all just a piece of general knowledge white metal is use in a lot of products in model making and jewellery where some my experience and patternmaking, in patternmaking we used to use tin lead, and of course this was changed and another alloy replaced lead, so the stuff you get now has various denseness, the model stuff tends to be soft and melts at low temp, as the stuff used in jewellery is a bit higher melting temp but not by much.my point is that both are sometimes plated and are sold as silver plate or chrome , fact the jewellery plate is normally rhodium. if you by Celtic jewellery it will be rhodium and suspect that the wheel my be the same, and it does not like the heat of soldering and does turn to mush.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Apr 2018 23:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40762

Exactamente! 👍
Don't think the wheel is rhodium though, for one rh looks a little greyer / duller, for two the EU moguls would object to selling rhodium as chrome! 😁

Black Dog Jack
(Chief Petty Officer)

5th Apr 2018 10:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40764

Let me bring you all up to date. I called a meeting with me and the now famous wheel and noticed there was a lot of flash that had not been cleaned off the castings, so I started filing it off. It was not easy. The metal was hard to file and the revealed surface looked as shiny as the chrome outer. I clamped the rim in a small vice and did the flux and solder thing and it worked!
So I mounted the whole assembly in the cockpit of my Huntsman, braced it and superglued it. After a suitable time had elapsed I removed the support and the wheel promptly fell off! It is so heavy! Undaunted I got out the Gorilla Glue and that seems to have fixed it. Yay!

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 462
7th Apr 2018 00:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40819

Black dog wheel done sir. BUT I would have put some of your flash on a heat proof surface together with a little piece of solder and applied the iron to melt the solder. This shows two things. One does the flash melt and the other does the flash take the solder? These little tests are always worthwhile doing to avoid tears at bedtime. Or any other time for that matter😁
Doug, My first car was a '48 Ford anglia which I bought for a shilling sterling. I'll tell the story as to how if you like and mods don't object. Reg was GED127

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Apr 2018 00:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40821

Evenin' / Mornin one tenor, PM me the story!
My first wagon was a '59 Hillman Minx, for a fiver. When cleaning it out I found 2s 9d (a half crown and a threepenny bit) change under the back seat.
Didn't run properly when I collected it. Staggered it round the corner, cleaned the plugs and drove serenely home 😁

Black Dog Jack
(Chief Petty Officer)

7th Apr 2018 00:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40824

Fleet Admiral Onetenor, Sir! Well, I’ll go to the foot of our stairs!
That is a very good suggestion and blindingly obvious when you point it out. Luckily for me - and my dear little ships wheel - everything went swimmingly as I blundered along. I would really like to know what it is made of, but don’t think I will bother to write to Amati to find out.
Dear Amati, you know that annoying ships wheel? Well... 🤓

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Apr 2018 00:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40826

Well, we had warned you that it might just go 'Ploop' and collapse 😲😁
Alls well that ends well 👍 What does it look like? Pic please?
Might pinch your mounting idea for my Sea Scout 😉
Cheers Doug 😎

Black Dog Jack
(Chief Petty Officer)

7th Apr 2018 01:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40827

Doug, when I get back home in a weeks time, if the wheel has not fallen off again, I will take some pics and post them.
Regards Jack.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Apr 2018 01:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40830

Hi Jack (😲), No panic, lots of other stuff to do before the 'cosmetics'.
But it's always good to see other folks ideas and slants on a topic.👍
Have a good trip, Doug 😎
What's the old saying, 'I had one of those - but the wheel fell off' 😁