Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 9 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (36)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Our boating water
Our boating water
(3743 views)
aanside
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 14
2nd May 2018 09:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41487

I thought that folks might like to see one of the least used boating ponds in the UK. Located in Macduff, on the Moray Firth, we use the "A" listed Art Deco outdoor swimming pool at Tarlair. Two pools - the main one topped up by the sea every high tide and the boating pool which is topped up by seawater (and some fresh water runoff) whenever. I like to think we have some of the best views but it is sorely underused.

Usual time for boating is Sunday at 1330, when the gates are unlocked and you can bring your car in, other times you are going to have to carry your boat 50m from the outside parking area. Everybody is welcome.

Hopefully there will be a gala day in August when many more boats will be there, along with all the other razamataz of a Scottsh Gala Day - pipe bands, burger stalls etc.

I have attached a couple of pictures, sorry about the few boats!

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2417
2nd May 2018 13:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41488

Wonderful venue, the boats ain't shabby either 👍
😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
reilly4
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 40
2nd May 2018 15:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41490

That looks like a fantastic place to sail boats. How deep is it?

Donnieboy
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 45
2nd May 2018 17:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41496

What a wonderful place to put your boats in the water.Lots of room.

mturpin013
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 68
2nd May 2018 17:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41497

Very nice

aanside
(Sub-Lieutenant)

5th May 2018 09:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41565

The boating pool is probably around 3 feet deep - will find out soon as it is to be emptied and cleaned in the next couple of weeks. The main pool was full swimming pool depth but the elves at Elf 'n Safe"T" decided to dump gravel in it "to protect it". Still deep enough to swim (and drown) in.

Looks possible that we might take a bit more control over the area which would be good news.

If you look carefully you will see a wall a few inches below the surface surrounding the rocks - this is normally above water and protects a paddling area - photographing boats against the rocks is very impressive from water level and we thought the rocks might be improved with a lighthouse 😁

dragon
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 107
5th May 2018 15:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41571

That's unbelievable nothing like that around here

BOATSHED
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 102
5th May 2018 20:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41576

I'm very curious, I know I don't live anywhere near the area but what are the restrictions on it. ie glow/petrol engines. It seems most places are now stopping these type of boats being used.

BOATSHED
John-Donyatt
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 2
5th May 2018 21:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41578

You are extremely lucky to have such a facility.
Since Yeovil and District Model Boat Club seems to have expired
(No response from anyone I have contacted),I am obliged to drive 35 miles to Apex Lake at Burnham-on-Sea. Nothing closer to Ilminster, Somerset.

Richard7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 28
6th May 2018 11:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41600

This place looks wonderful, fantastic scenery and a boating lake as well, unfortunately l am down in Kent but what l would give to be there today.....enjoy!!
Regards
Richard

Baggie
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 35
6th May 2018 21:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41608

Looks fabulous and, as you say, the surrounding views are fabulous. If ever I am near I will certainly come for a sail. Thank you for sharing your location.

John-Donyatt
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 2
6th May 2018 21:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41610

Better news about sailing in Somerset.
Yeovil & D have a new Secretary and have a 5 year arrangement with WessexWater to use the West Pond at Sutton Bingham!

rolfman2000
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 125
6th May 2018 22:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41611

Aanside, You have a wonderful sailing area, which I am sure most of us would be very envious of. The beautiful scenery and lovely sailing are what would be near perfect sailing club requirements for many of us. Hope you have had a great bank holiday sailing. Best wishes, Dave W 😊

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th May 2018 22:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41614

Some info and photos of this super sailing venue here -
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Tarlair+Outdoor+Swimming+Po...

Long way from Munich 😭 happy sailing gents, 😎

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
rolfman2000
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 125
7th May 2018 04:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41615

Found it on Google earth. It's only 480 miles from us. Might pop up for the weekend sometime. We have friends not far from there in Fyvie, so could even make a break out of it. Shall we say, it's peaked my interest 😆 I may have to work on the missus a bit to make this a goer, but you never know... lol
I find it ironic, that I am going to Tattershall Lakes in Lincolnshire for a weeks break. As the name says, they have lakes. But I'm not allowed to sail my boats on them as they are for waterskiing. But are unused 90% of the time, but still no permission to sail (even though I have insurance from my model boat club membership) Sad really, and are waste of good sailing waters. Ho hum, that's life. Cheers all, Dave W 😊

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th May 2018 18:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41616

C'est la vie, c'est la Guerre 🤔

Baggie
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th May 2018 18:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41617

My boating pond today... complete with our resident Heron.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th May 2018 19:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41618

Wow! Incredibly realistic 👍 Do you use 35 Meg for the flying or 2.4 Gig??
😉😁😎

Baggie
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th May 2018 19:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41619

The Heron is real.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th May 2018 19:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41620

Oh really!? I'd never've guessed 😁

reilly4
(Admiral)

8th May 2018 01:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41623

We have swans.

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 453
8th May 2018 13:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41638

I never guessed either Doug lol

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th May 2018 13:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41639

I'll cover your swans and raise you geese, ducks and moorhens! 😁
Ostpark Lake and Biergarten, Munich 😉

boaty
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 60
8th May 2018 13:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41641

Great lake with beautiful scenery. Hope your gala day goes ahead with a full attendance.

Boaty😁

Dave Keech
dragon
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 107
8th May 2018 16:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41644

Doug been there many years ago.
Photo 7 is what we were doing at a beer fest one of Many.
Lovely place to sit and relax

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th May 2018 17:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41646

Sun shining, boat on the water, joystick in left hand, Bierkrug or wine glass in the right hand - can't beat it 😋😁 Need a third hand for the spare ribs 😉 Pics show my 'operating corner'.

reilly4
(Admiral)

10th May 2018 04:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41669

An anecdote.
My HMS Triumph submarine has a piano wire antenna with the periscopes (not the working antenna) bent to a diamond shaped tip (for safety). A few years ago in the same venue as my previous post above, HMS Triumph was submerged and heading roughly towards the jetty. Hard to know exactly where. I decided to surface to be safe. At the same time three large swans were gliding along gracefully in the vicinity. Suddenly one of the large swans went vertically upwards about two or three feet with his large wingspan fully well extended. The sub's antenna has come up right under his bottom and given him the surprise of his life. The sub surfaced after a few more seconds directly under where he was. It may have got kicked down in the scramble. No damage to either but for the few of us watching it was hilarious. No video unfortunately or it may have gone viral.

aanside
(Sub-Lieutenant)

10th May 2018 09:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41671

Following up on previous questions:

There are no restrictions on using IC or steam just don't collide with any of the regulars! The big problem here is the wind, last Sunday was glorious but the water was very choppy and even the big tugs shipped some water (try getting a boat back against the wind when the rudder has failed).
Couple of photos to show the conditions.

We have alternative boating available in Turriff (but the pond gets filled with weed in summer and ice in winter) and at Portsoy (Loch Soy). One of our stalwarts took his fishing vessel to Banff Harbour last Saturday to play with the rowing skiffs - mad, yes he is!

Novagsi0
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 24
10th May 2018 12:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41672

Need a bigger tug 😋, I have a model of Cervia to start, nearly 6 foot long. It could have a 4 cylinder petrol engine 30cc coupled to a generator driving 2 electric motors to push it along.

BOATSHED
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 102
10th May 2018 18:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41675

reilly4, this is one thing that always bothered me when I saw someone with a submarine on the pond where I was running mt power boat. If you say you have a piano wire antenna , why not have a flag on the top of the antenna so that you can see where it is going on the pond. I have taken my boat of the pond when someone has pot a submarine in the pond. It is a worrying thing in case I wipe the sub out.

BOATSHED
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2018 22:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41682

Hi Boatshed, you could also simply chat with the sub skipper (or vice versa of course) and coordinate your actions!?
I've also once witnessed here in Munich a maniac power boat driver ramming and completely destroying a clearly visible and magnificent tug model only about 15 feet offshore! The tug had only just been launched on it's first sea trial 🤔
I must also add that I do intend to add an orange sphere to the antenna or scope of my Akula 2 so I can track it at periscope depth, below that I don't normally expect to meet anyone! If other subs turn up I will talk to them. Happy sailing all, cheers Doug 😎
PS generally sub drivers have an alert eye open for other boats, especially power boats!
PPS I've also seen several 'proud' owners of RTR plastic so called 'power boats' who've looked pretty sheepish when my 30 year old 1.35m scratch built H class destroyer or 1.07m U Boat have out run them 😁

reilly4
(Admiral)

11th May 2018 09:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41694

Hi Boatshed, Fortunately my submarines and I are safely on the other side of the planet. I agree with Doug. Communication and common sense are essential to happy sailing. 😎
However, a colleague of mine that sails his subs in close proximity to others including out of control yachts, feels the need for a sign. It severely detracts from the realism of the model and has still been run into.
Perhaps a 'muppet' flag on 'power boats' will make them obvious and enable local submariners to dive to safety.

rmwall107
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 33
12th May 2018 20:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41715

I think you have the prettiest sailing water in the UK.
What is it like for sailing boats? it looks a little blanketed!

Baggie
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th May 2018 23:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41717

Eaton Park today - One Mettre and Wee Nip Class Racing....plus a Dragonforce65!

aanside
(Sub-Lieutenant)

13th May 2018 17:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41728

The pool is certainly not sheltered (have a look at the chop in one of my photos). Completely open to the Moray Firth but sheltered to the South by the cliffs - unfortunately the prevailing wind is from the open water. I have had that tug of mine on its beam ends in the wind and it is ballasted to within an inch of the wash ports.

We haven't had anybody sailing here in recent memory but I do have a ketch under construction so may be able to report sometime in the next year or two😜