Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
July 2018: 5 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 7 people
November 2017: 3 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (15)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > It's a sad day!.
It's a sad day!.
(3422 views)
stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 28
14th May 2018 07:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41752

Yes I've decided to sell most of my I.C. Boats and engine, because of this "nanny state" that we live in now.
Probably 95% of clubs and sailing waters in my area(Liverpool) stipulate No I.C.s, l'm not traveling 50 miles to sail when in reality I've got several clubs and lakes within 5 to 10 miles from my home.
I started model boat building in the 50s with balsa models and on to "aerokits" sea urchin, scout, rover, commander, and the holy grail the sea queen all of which had diesel or petrol engines.
Granted we have come a long long way since then with electric and brushless motors, I do use them in both planes and boats, but there is still something to be said for the sound smell and reality of an I.C.engine in a boat, aircraft aren't to bad at the present, until they ban them to.
Sorry for the rant but that's the way I feel.😭

There is no dark side of the moon really
Matter of fact......it's all dark.
canabus
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 112
14th May 2018 08:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41753

Hi Stormin
I think it's the same in a number of countries.
We changed to brushless and Lipo's.
All my IC motors are in a draw sleeping

deepdiver
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 52
14th May 2018 10:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41756

I have liked Stormin post as I think we should have the right to sail with I/C, I spent a great day with a model boat club when I was in Florida in one of there public park's and it was mostly I/C with a few brushless boat's.
No completes from any members of the public.

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

14th May 2018 11:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41757

Thanks you guys for your replies, my old club used to have a wonderful system which was:- on the hour electrics could use the water and on the half hour I.C. Had the water, it worked great👌everybody was happy😁. However several years ago it was decided to ban all I.C.s.
It's a shame because I've never seen the crowds of public spectators a Sunday of "flatie" racing used to draw, small highly tunes boats racing around three boys😭.
Never mind onwards and upwards with brushless and lipos.

BOATSHED
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 94
14th May 2018 12:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41758

I used to use Blackheath pond South London but last time I went there with a boat I had just come off the pond after clipping the pond side and bending my prop shaft,The local park ranger pulled up in a van after someone making a complaint. The boat isn't noisy as the cooling also runs out of the exhaust. He told me I was very lucky as if he had actually seen it running on the pond it was an £80.00 fine. He saw me lifting it off the water but engine wasn't running. I don't understand it as some of the boats I have seen running with brushless scream more than my 26cc PT109. I do have a Proboat Miss Geico she isn't too bad on noise, I also have a Graupner Rhode Island with a brushless outboard but she is still untried on water up to now.

BOATSHED
BOATSHED
(Fleet Admiral!)

14th May 2018 12:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41759

I still have 2 SC 90's, 1 Sc 61, and an Irvine 120, all marine engines new in the boxes. I don't know what to do with them at the moment. Also a Zenoah 26cc all blinged up in purple with an electric start on it only been run in ready to go into an old 54" Hydrofibre Pipedream that has an outdrive mounted ready to take the Zenoah. Scratching my head as to what to do now.

BOATSHED
stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

14th May 2018 13:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41760

Hi Boatshed, that's crazy, £80 fine for running your boat, i'd like to have met that ranger (jobsworth) you could rob your local sweet shop and got fine less.
I to have several SCs 40,45,60 and a 90 ABC wonderful bargain little engines, the 60 must have had, no exaggeration, at least 20 gallons of fuel run through it and it's still as good as new, the 90,O.M.G., has that much compression it needs 24volts to start it.
My pride and joy is my veron huntsman which I built in 1966 with a 15cc gannet four stroke petrol engine.

rolfman2000
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 117
14th May 2018 13:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41761

Yes, it is a sad day when, all of a sudden you can't sail your ic boats. Most clubs are electric/sail around us. A few even have "Nothing over 5mph limits". Luckily, I belong to a nice friendly electric/sail club where we can have fun with what we sail. And a few experiment with narrowboats/airboats/ rowing boats etc, so it's a fun mix. Hope you can find somewhere for your fuelled machines. Smooth sailing, Dave W.😊

IanD
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 3
14th May 2018 14:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41762

If anybody is interested, the recently re-formed Trafford Model Boat Club which runs on Sale Water Park (M60 jnc 6, South Manchester) allows IC. They run most Sunday afternoons. Contact Mark on 07895642327.

bikerjohn57
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 34
15th May 2018 09:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41772

Just a thought as I have no experience of running model ic engines, but may be its not so much the noise but the possibility of fuel spillage entering the water. (The fish don't like the taste !! HaHa) (just being facetious)😎

Novagsi0
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 21
15th May 2018 09:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41773

This gets my goat.
My boat had a Kawasaki lawn mower engine in it 26cc.

It was no louder than a Flymo from where It came from(a lawn mower), in fact I was actually a bit quitter because it had a proper tuned exhaust.
The Ban on IC means I cannot use it. The petrol issue now means the pool weeds up every year, because of the lack of nitrates going in the water so no body can use it. The weed means all the small fish are also gone that we use to catch as kids using rock pool nets when the power boats were bombing around,
becuase the weed takes all the oxygen out the water killing the fish.

When the pool weeds up no body can use it!!!
Kept the boat for memory sake, and I too have a draw of retired engines and have to resort to opening my tool box for the smell of 40% glow fuel.

Engine attached 9 years work and will never go into the boat I believe now.

Are we going to ban petrol Lawn mowers in the future same as the flymo boat. Video on youtube
https://youtu.be/7UQLaYVuDmI

Also before the green squad suggest about the wild life, they periodiocally shoot the canadian foreigners on our water to keep the numbers down civil.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 447
15th May 2018 11:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41775

Ooh, is that a Westbury Sealion? Lovely.
Have you ever tried asking the parky for proof? I did that with some jobswuff fishing geezer where we were running ICs on a river. He ummed and ahed and then buggered off. I say use em, but on your own, not as part of a club. Use public waters, canals, or sympathetic farmers' reservoirs. But use them until some cocky tosser can actually wave the relevant bit of paper under your nose. You'll be amazed how many cannot do so. And as for the 80 quid fine? I think you'll find that's rubbish. It's more than a standing fine from a copper for some things, so most unlikely and unless there are very clear signs saying the same at the waterside they can't touch you. Blackheath used to have tethered hydros. John Cobb learned about sponsons from my old boss, Mike Karslake, at Blackheath. They exchanged info on a regular basis. If you want to run IC in London go to Victoria Park, they still allow it. My Granddad was a founder member of it, the world's oldest model power boat club. But the essence is....USE THEM and wait for the jobswuff to prove otherwise and I mean PROVE!
Of course, if you're happy to roll over and play dead, you deserve to be shit on.
I don't have the problem. I live with rivers all round me and I wouldn't want to mix with the model boaties round here! The clubs are way too far away and difficult to get to and expensive!

Martin

Novagsi0
(Captain)

15th May 2018 11:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41778

Yes E.T Westbury "Sealion", we have many homemade engines in boats made by my father, Whippet, Seal, Wallaby, Kiwi, (attached).

Council finally put a sign up at our lake, no IC engines. Endorsed by the sailing lads. It was also a lake for tethered hydro's in the past built especially by employee's of the Cadbury group for power boating. sign of the times!

The Sealion engine was to go into a small tug.

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

15th May 2018 12:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41780

Thank you from the bottom of my heart you guys, I consider myself well and truly bolloked!!, love you're engines.
I feel better now with your support, your correct, why should we just accept it, I'm keeping 95% of my IC boats and engines now, in fact I've just ordered a 6volt battery to fire up the 15cc coil ignition gannet in the huntsman and intend giving it an outing.
This is just my opinion I do not wish to offend, however I believe as we with IC boats in clubs became the minority then most members who just like pootling around looked upon the fast loud smelly ICs as a nuisance so let's ban them.
Thanks again guys "power to the people"✌️.

Novagsi0
(Captain)

15th May 2018 13:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41784

True Bloke. (thanks!!)
The huntsman is my passion the boat above is a larger scale Sordsman 15cc. I sailed this last night as a ode to my father on what would have been his birthday we started this 30 years ago only finished in the last few months ready for the 14-May. wish it could have been IC but a large 850MFA gets it plaining (just), for an hour on lipo's instead.

My father use to run FIA Rossi engines on gear boxes and do NAVIGA speed I think it was called.
But there is a draw of ED Hunters, ED racers, diesel engines,
Basil Miles Engines etc.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th May 2018 13:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41786

I do wish people would sign their posts, if only because I feel a bit odd typing long "handles". Anyway...Cadbury's? Is that Bourneville? If the lake was built by Cadbury employees why have the Council got a damned thing to do with it. Has anyone tested that? I would still use the IC boats and wait till some little Hitler comes hobbling along with his hat and his silly voice and a BIT OF PAPER, lads! No Paper, no comply.
Another club I heard of that positively welcomes IC is at Bungay in Suffolk. Check it out.
The more get stroppy, the fewer the stupid, uninformed councils (and, I hate to add, Clubs) can lay down a non-existent law.

Right on, Brothers and Sisters. Never forget there will be power cuts soon. No lecktrickery to charge these nasty LiPos, so IC will prevail.
I must restart the Anarchists Model Boat Club. I have a very good badge.

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th May 2018 13:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41787

Novagsio, you have Basil Miles engines? Please install and enjoy them. They are rare and wonderful and part of the ED history. I have a Racer and I used to work with a guy who was once a British Hydro champion with a Basil Miles engine. If I was rich I'd install a Hydro pond and middle finger the worthless council. Don't put the engines in a drawer, display them with pride in a dedicated cabinet and make sure it smells of diesel fuel And invite me round for a good sniff.

Martin

Novagsi0
(Captain)

15th May 2018 14:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41788

Yes Bournville, I can remember one pleasant afternoon the police were called to the lake, as a free sailing member got nasty and a fight nearly broke out, over pottering about with a sunday hobby.
It was at that stage I finally gave up, and started making a coal fired traction engine instead. 😁👍 (make steam not war!!)

Stephen

Novagsi0
(Captain)

15th May 2018 14:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41789

Ill take some photos so people can see them, the old man would always show people them if they were interested. I did have a list of all the engines i came across it not so long ago as i didnt know what they were all called.

He also told me a story years ago about having so much trouble with a 15cc taplin twin as he threw it over a fench in the 60's and started making his own engines, because he said it was rubbish and now on ebay they have a cult following. 😁

(Im not sure how true this was because he was a horder and didnt throw much away found the list includes the weight of each engine as i guess this was important when designing the boats!!)

Stephen

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th May 2018 14:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41790

Oliver Tiger and Gannet? Oh be still my beating heart!
I remember seeing a Gannet and a Channel Island Special at Victoria when I was a kid with my Dad. Even he was impressed. And Olive Cockman had a Westbury Seal she'd built herself and fitted in a large cruiser, which she used for straight running and steering, where you nominated a spot on the lake side and set off your model with a fixed rudder. The nearer you got to your nominated spot the more points you got. Never hear of it these days. R/C doesn't appeal to me apart from steering a yacht, although free-sailing is still appealing to me. I have engines, but I haven't got any in a boat as I could never get the things to start. I just like having them around and running them screwed to an outbuilding, when they'll run! I can't be doing with all the fuss of LiPos and charging them properly. Too expensive, so it's NiMhs for me, charged in a wall charger.
but it's really building stuff I like to do.

Martin

Novagsi0
(Captain)

15th May 2018 15:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41792

Building stuff, me too.
The engine I did attach this was a home designed 15cc glow rear induction rotary disc engine. We ran this at the model engineer exhibition at Bingley hall in the 1980's in Birmingham, before It burnt down (not our fault I add). The engine - notice twin glow spark because its a huge engine and overrun 1mtr of flames out of a scooter exhaust when it throttled down from 12,400rpm. ABC engine. Never made it into a boat too dangerous !!. 3 months to lap the piston in, compression high, power electric start only watch your wrists on starting.
(sits on a shelf).

Stephen.

IanD
(Sub-Lieutenant)

15th May 2018 16:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41793

Someone mentioned ED motors! My Dad's old Sea Commander had one before I converted it to electric, but I still have it (in a box on the wardrobe!) Can anybody tell me anything about it? It is marked as an ED MK4 with what looks like a serial number of 4G147. It is water cooled and has a variable throttle. I cant see how the ignition worked but it has a large tug-start fly/pully wheel on the drive shaft. Any info gratefully received.
Ian

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

15th May 2018 16:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41794

Martin...........I'd vote for you..........ever thought of running for parliament?.
Is that ok with you Stephen?.

Norman.😉

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

15th May 2018 16:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41795

Ian, I thought all ED where compression ignition (diesel) so not sure what yours could be.
I still have a seagull (1cc) hunter (2.5cc) and a sea otter (3.5cc) I believe that the sea otter was the only engine ED made specifically for use in boats (water cooled) because the flywheel was at the opposite end of the crank eliminating the need to thread your starter cord under your prop shaft and u.j.

Norman.

Novagsi0
(Captain)

15th May 2018 16:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41796

If you see on my list above after the engine size if a D was noted its diesel and all these engines were for boat use and water cooled. However my father did make any parts needed so conversion to water cooling jacket on an engine was no problem if needed.

Stephen.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th May 2018 17:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41797

Thanks for your support gents, but I'm too old to kick too much arse these days.
The Sea otter I'm not completely sure of, but the Super Hunter 3 1/2 cc,. was indeed a boat only motor and had a throttle on the exhaust rather than the inlet and the result was that it never came off the 2 stroke, so sounded very strange. But it was incredibly responsive and was demonstrated to an appreciative crowd at one of the race course big shows nearish London. Can't say which as I don't do nags, but on the temporary pond in a typical -for -the -time flattie boat, it was VERY impressive for a diesel and started easily too.....Kempton Park, methinks. All ED engines look like they mean business and run really well. We'll be making our own fuel again for lack of supply. Always used to, but poncy chemists won't sell you anything stronger than cough mixture these days. I could always get my Uncle some amyl nitrate when he asked me to. Don't know where he got the ether from, but it always got his little ED Bee going and was ace in my Racer.
BTW, the Mk 4 was the precursor to the Racer. Looked a little earlier by being spindly and taller.

Martin (the Anarchists' Boat Club)

BOATSHED
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th May 2018 17:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41798

The ED Hunter was a 3.46cc diesel engine. I had one of those in a 34" RAF Crash Tender in 1959/60.

BOATSHED
stephen
(Seaman)

16th May 2018 08:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41799

Hi All, sad day indeed, if i am not mistaken a lot of the boating ponds built where for tethered and free running power with predominantly ic power before rc and usable electrics [ stand to be corrected ] does that not infer some sort of grandfather rights or same, would like to look into deeper but unfortunately still have business to run with larger craft, by the way,😲 about pollution ever watched a B52 bomber taking off fully loaded ?

wunwinglo
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 24
16th May 2018 08:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41800

I can well imagine how you feel about your i.c. models. My recent renovation/recommissioning of my late father's Vosper MTB is kind of ironic in that it last ran in 1962 when noise suddenly became an issue. Mind you, it was VERY loud. My rebuild, needless to say, was centred around brushless motors and lipo's. But I also put an excellent sound system into it as it was so quiet. The system, by Action Electronics and is nice and loud as per the full-size but it does seem ironic that I felt the need to put sound(noise) back in! I use lots of small diesels in free-flight model aircraft and still hugely enjoy getting them 'singing' and savouring the wonderful smell in the car going home afterwards!

BOATSHED
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th May 2018 20:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41812

This is my pimped up Zenoah 26cc cost me with all its bits and electric start just short of £680 the outdrive was another £150. The hull is a Hydrofibre Pipedream. This was the second one of them I had. I bought her back about 1986/7. With all this bureaucratic crap regarding IC engines, she is now sat on one of the shed shelves along with a few others. Anyone interested in a run in electric start Zenoah for £450.00+ P&P . Including tuned pipe ONO. Irvine 120 never been run in box for £120.00 including custom made manifold+ P&P, no offers. Message me on seaqueen2@hotmail.co.uk no silly offers.

BOATSHED
BOATSHED
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th May 2018 20:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41813

This is the Hydrofibre Pipedream it was going on.

BOATSHED
stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

17th May 2018 06:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41818

Respect to you my boy! That engine is a thing of great beauty!!.
Here in Liverpool we have the "Tate modern" art gallery, if it was up to me and I'm sure many of you, that engine would be pride of place in the foyer under glass.
You must not sell it, you'll regret it, keep it and just look at it when your feeling low🤧, I would.
I am so tempted to contact you, but my wife has told me " no more boys toys or I'm leaving home" which gives me even more incentive, as if the engine wasn't enough on it's own😳👌.
Norman.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th May 2018 09:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41824

I think one of the mistakes people make is to assume that they must run their models with others of a similar ilk. That rather means a club of some sort. I say organise a loose grouping and find a river. You can buy a little dinghy/outboard combo for very cheap as a rescue boat if you can't get to the sides all round. Since the river will have diesel and petrol boats on it, you're fine. Canal Locks can be ideal and many (most) are not manned by any pretence at a Jobswuff. Some rivers have no speed limit sections, such as the River Nene and, last I looked, the Yare. So join in. There's nothing sacrosanct about model boat ponds and anyway if the Council Nazis have decided No IC, they are no longer model boat ponds, since that was all there was at one time.
I ran a model boat display on the Well Creek in the Fens a few years back and we had no other than the famous AMPS man, Miller Agnew,with his Rossi powered outboards on his gorgeous tunnel hulls, models of real F1 powerboats. He came with the Cambridge club whose secretary made a point at day's end of thanking me for asking them. They had never run on a river before and all loved it. They had R/C water skiing, racing, you name it and all thoroughly enjoyed it. In the end the Police had to move the traffic on the main road opposite who had stopped to watch. A Rossi powered F1 at full chat on a river only 20 feet wide is something to see. Apparently Mr. Agnew was heard to say that "this is proper model boating".
So, go rivers, young man. My, we'll be running out of middle fingers in no time!

Martin

BOATSHED
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th May 2018 18:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41838

Hi Westquay i spend quite a bit of time up in Norfolk and I have a boat up there. It's the one in my avatar. I do take my Probaot Miss Geico. I haven't even thought about taking one of the IC boats up there. I did run one down the river following it in my boat. Run it for about 3 miles. My boat is in a boat yard that has quite a large area. Once I get another IC boat sorted I might just do that. I think my PT 109 might be the first candidate once I have treated her to a new flexi shaft. That's the one I damaged just before the Park Ranger turned up.

BOATSHED
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th May 2018 09:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41855

There you go, a whole new kind of model boating

Martin

pjarrett
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 1
18th May 2018 15:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41872

Would I be correct in saying local councils couldn't ban boat engines on canals, rivers and sea shores. Just a thought!

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th May 2018 16:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41875

I'm sure you would be perfectly correct, PJ. My point exactly. Sod the ponds and the play dead clubs full of old farts who won't lift a finger in protest. Get on a river. Let's have an IC preferred rally on a river round here! How many keen enough between say Peterborough and Kings' Lynn?

Martin

aanside
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 13
18th May 2018 17:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41876

Come visit us at Tarlair - you can run IC or anything else on our pond. Beautiful location too - just stay away in winter or when it is windy

BOATSHED
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th May 2018 17:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41877

If only I could. I think it's just a little too far, sadly. I'm just on the other side of Dartford Tunnel to you.

BOATSHED
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th May 2018 17:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41880

aanside,
is that map accurate? If so, you must be the most Northerly of any clubs, unless Wick has one or one of the islands, but I doubt it.
As Boatshed says, a wee bit too far, unfortunately, even if I was holidaying at my son's place in Berwick!

Cheers,
Martin

aanside
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 13
18th May 2018 20:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41887

Right on the North East Coast on South side of Moray Firth. Aberdeen is about 40 miles South (and has a renovated pool in Duthie Park), Fraserburgh is East and Inverness West. I don't know of any "club" further North than us - the quotes are intentional, not really a club just a collection of like minded individuals.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th May 2018 00:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41894

And all the better for it, I'm sure. Long may you all continue enjoying your IC engines.

Martin

Paultheotherone
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 1
19th May 2018 07:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41897

This post makes me realise how lucky we are as a club to actually own our lake and surrounding land. We run petrol, Nitro, fast electric and sail etc and have no residential property within earshot. I too used to go to a local park with a large lake but they stopped the use of fuel powered boats and fast electric.

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

19th May 2018 08:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41898

Hear Hear, as Martin has said, enjoy! and long may your club enjoy the fun and pleasure of ALL forms of model boating.
Norman.

merchant67
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 5
19th May 2018 13:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41902

Couldn't agree more. My first boat build by my dad and I in the late 50' also had an I.C engine. I think it was a Frog 3.5??
Anyway it was great fun and now such a pity these motors are being banned

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

19th May 2018 14:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41903

May I just say how heart warming it is to have had so much positive response to my rant, I truly did not expect at the time to trigger so much support.
I don't think we have had one negative post, as I say it's nice to know that we all share an affinity in the love of ALL aspects of model boating, not least the fast disappearing world of internal combustion.
I do now intend keeping all of my vintage collection of engines and boats, if only to simply look at from time to time,all thanks to you guys, especially Martin for his straight forward way of speaking, it defiantly made me think again.
Thanks guys👍.
Norman.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th May 2018 23:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41907

Oh, Lor', I am unworthy, Norman, but absolutely delighted to have helped galvanise some ire against these appalling rules, most of which I wish I was rich enough to test in law and find wanting.

Cheers,
Martin

BOATSHED
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th May 2018 22:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41931

My first one was an RAF Crash Tender, My parent's bought it for me for my 9th birthday in August 1959 and for the Christmas they got me a ED Hunter 3.46 cc diesel engine. I never got any R?C as that was far too expensive they said. I didn't care about that as I had great fun with it just building it with my dad. the story is quite long about the build so for now I will leave that.

BOATSHED
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th May 2018 22:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41932

Yep, built mine with my Dad, a 34" Crash Tender. We used the then new PVA glue and to be honest, 54 years later it still holds well and is waterproof. I really must finish it some day! I confess I never had an IC engine in a boat, but I've always had an ED Racer with water jacket and big brass flywheel. Still have it on my shelf with others, but I could never get the buggers to start! So Dad made sure the Crash Tender had a good electric motor when he spoiled me with it all for my 11th Christmas. I had REP single channel R/C and a Taycol Supermarine motor and Taycol coupling. That's what's in it and will stay in it. Alas the R/C gear was stolen. I could replicate the case, but there just ain't the time for all these things, so an old Mini Hex 1970s Propo set will go in it as a classic curio. I used it for years with the REP on the oyster ponds at Paglesham. Left, centre, right, centre, wiggle right, wiggle right and so on. The Taycol ate batteries!

Martin

Les-H
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 9
21st May 2018 07:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41937

Hi, I sail in Liverpool at Newsham park.
I emailed the city council some years ago to ask if I could sail an IC boat at Newsham park and also if I need third party insurance.
They replied that I could sail an IC boat and no I did not need third party insurance.
If you ask the committee from the boat club that sail there they will tell you different, as that is what they want, but it is untrue. Why don't you email the city council yourself and ask and when you get a reply, you can print it out and take it with you to the lake so no one can tell that you can't sail.👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1788
21st May 2018 08:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41938

Nice one 'Cyril' 👍 "If you don't ask .... you don't get"! 😉

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

21st May 2018 11:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41942

Hi Les, funny we've come full circle, I started my model sailing at newsham park back in the late 50s and was there at the beginning of "The Liverpool model POWER boat club back in 1964, when I was 14 years old.
Notice the power was omitted from the clubs name approx' 15 years ago.
In 1964 i had just completed my first aerokits sea scout complet with an ED seagull 1cc diesel, this club was where I met most of my mentors and founder members of the club, Jimmy Wilson, Cliff'Broadbent, Monty, Oscar Poulson etc etc all now sadly gone to that big lake in the sky where anything goes.
I'm in southport now and do go back to newsham from time to time. Thank you for that bit of very interesting info'.
The afore mentioned sea scout has just undergone a major re-fit after 55 years, the 1cc diesel has been replaced with a 3940 kv brushless and 60 esc running on 11.1 lipo, yes I know all to big for a little 24inch sea scout, but as the yanks would say " there ain't no substitute for C.C. Boy", you don't have to use it but nice to have.
Martin you mentioned the old glue used in those days, the sea scout I made was glued using "caskomite" (can't remember the correct spelling) the boat is still 100% waterproof with no skin separation at all, I do not intend tarting the boat up at all, prefer to keep it the way a 14 year old boy (me) had made it apart from bringing the running gear up to 21st century and something that can be used at my local lakes.

Norman.

BOATSHED
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st May 2018 11:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41944

Hi Les-H, the Club answer is probably because they want you to join the club to get your subsciption money as many club issue you with included Third Party Insurance. Money grabbing again.

BOATSHED
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd May 2018 09:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41979

Stormin, it would be nice to see your Sea Scout, apart from all the modern stuff.
Where would we all be without Les Rowell and Aerokits, eh? My first model boat was a Sea Urchin which I got when I was 7. My Dad'd best mate built it and gave it to me just before he died way too young. I restored it two years ago. It still has its Kako motor, original rusty shaft and twisted tin prop. Now I have to put 3 AA cells together in a home made plastic case with a home printed Ever Ready wrapper on it to look right.
When I was 11 came the Crash Tender. All around me were IC boats, but I never had one and, to be honest, I could never get any of my cousins' or mates' boats started either!" I once got an ED Bee going in a Keil Kraft Champ, but the control wires went loose and it became an habituee of the vegetable rack! But I still love IC engines now and I will defend their use by those lucky enough to start them! I love the sound, I love the smell, I love the urgency of them. And most of all hats off to the gents (and ladies) who do tethered hydros. That's real dedication.
Cheers,
Martin

merchant67
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 5
22nd May 2018 14:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41991

I remember going to a model boat club meet in Crosby Liverpool back in the early 60's ( cannot remember the name of the lake though) There were plenty of IC models plus one guy who had a steam powered trawler and he was busy stoking the thing with pine chips to get steam up. As I remember a beautiful boat. Maybe the way forward is steam????

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

22nd May 2018 14:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41992

Coronation Park in Crosby, a very very popular venue for all types of model boats back in the 50s and before, hosted tethered hydroplane racing (as Martin has just stated) that was a crowd puller and the old guys in those days had some balls to run them, as I remember there was a bad accident late 50s and it was all over for them. Still going as a model boat club to this day although re-formed several years ago.
Martin, yes I will put some pics up as soon as my grandchildren show me how to🤔, you see I may be able to bring a 1950s boat into the 21st century but that doesn't mean I can use a computer as I should😉.
Norman.
Small foot note guys, steam also is discouraged if not banned by some model boat clubs now because of the pressurised boiler risk, yes I know health and safety gone mad.

Novagsi0
(Captain)

22nd May 2018 14:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41993

Our "Imara" Tug has a cheddar steam plant, I might swap it for the motor and batteries it currently has. I can remember as a small child at a pool called the apex pool by Brean Sands. when a large power boat with a big KMB engine run up the bank out of the pool. The carpark was a gentle sloap straight into the water the boat passed me a 40 MPH on the tarmac. The prop I found, and had a small momento to remember the boat by. I actually still have the prop 35 years later and ran it on my power boat for a bit. Good times. (sorry for nicking the prop i was only 10!!)

Stephen

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1788
22nd May 2018 16:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41994

Sounds a bit 'cheesy' 😁😁😁
Must say they look beautiful though
https://www.google.com/search?q=cheddar+steam+plant&client=f...
Look forward to the pics of the boat👍
All the best, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd May 2018 09:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42013

Considering you can't run a pressurised boiler without a Vulcan steam certificate, there is no justification for banning steam, like New Brighton has. Mind you, when I saw what a silly little puddle they'd been left after the new developments on that town's seafront (hotel and retail) I wondered why they bothered turning up at all, but on 2 occasions I watched while I was staying there to visit a friend with my wife, there were two old boys with tugs and one of those had forgotten his batteries! Otherwise a Dad with a small boy and his off the shelf speedboat and even that was scowled at by the old farts. If a boat has a Mamod type of boiler it's not even considered a pressure vessel as its capacity is too low as is its "pressure", so you're covered all round. No need to ban anything as usual. Many parks have live steam railways and if they went bang they'd get their windows blown out in the town hall!

Martin

stormin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

23rd May 2018 10:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42016

Martin you do have a way with words, I like it!, yes, and steam locomotives run on at least ten times the pressure of a steam driven boat.
Happy memory's of the old New Brighton lake, my nan and mum would take me over from Liverpool on the ferry, which in those days went to New Brighton, with my pride and joy under my arm, my "victory models fire boat" remember the one? all plastic with twin brass screws driven by a mighty midget motor.
The old lake was demolished approx' 10 to 15 years ago and the new one constructed 30 yards further up.
I was there as demolition was going on and the old lake was a large heap of concrete and rubble fenced off to the public.
Do you know to this day I so so regret not squeezing through the fence and taking a hand size piece of the concrete side wall, the concrete wall I would have lent over 1000 times as a young boy of seven to launch my boats.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd May 2018 17:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42023

Norman, that's a nice story. I got to know New Brighton well as my wife befriended a lady from Wallasey and supported her all the way through her nursing degree, to the point that her friend asked us to go up for her graduation in the Anglican cathedral. We were very keen to see what real life was like Oooop Norf and we booked into the then almost brand new Travel Lodge which was doing super deals. We had a view over the Mersey and the lighthouse at New Brighton and a huge sea lake that nobody ever used. When I discovered what an insult of a splash had been "retained" for the club as a model pond I nearly cried.

Anyway, from the moment we stepped off the train at Lime Street and were met by Kelly and her daughter, we found the most friendly and warm people we have encountered anywhere in Britain and we've been around a bit. The next morning we found a lovely cafe just off the seafront that did a giant breakfast and while I was in the model shop next door (yes, REALLY!) my wife arranged a tattoo! At her age. The model shop owner came originally from my Wife's home town here and the lady in the cafe was originally from my home town in Essex, but both had Scouse accents and were as warm as all the other people we met. We were treated like VIPs the whole weekend. We also saw Hoylake pond which is the biggest I've seen at a seaside location.
Watching traffic on the Mersey was fascinating and yes we, too, went on the ferry for an extended trip up the river and back with a commentary.

If it weren't so bloody far away it would be a regular destination for us.
Oh and yes I not only remember the VIP boats, but had some when I was a bit of a collector of such. They had a tendency to warp, like their slot cars.

Cheers,
Martin

Scratchbuilder
(Sub-Lieutenant)

23rd May 2018 21:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42025

Here,here.Well said.The world is changing and,not always for the good.Its a sad day that you have to give up your joy in life.
I too have been building boats for 55years and still get imence satisfaction from what I produce and I am so lucky that the Grandchildren love the hobby too.I gave up being in a club years ago because in some instances the beurocratic nonsense that spoil the hobby.