• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Forum
    Search
    Jump To:
    All Categories
    Hobby Chit Chat
    Non-Hobby Chat
    RC & Electrics
    Building Related
    For Sale/Wanted
    Website Related
    General Resources
    Page 1 of 117
    >>>
    two part epoxy resin
    I think deep down you must be a fellow Scot Colin,a wee bit careful with the bawbees๐Ÿ’ท๐Ÿ’ท๐Ÿ’ฐ
    51 minutes ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง marky ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    Building Related
    10 Posts
    5 Likes
    Started
    2 hours ago
    by Nerys
    Latest
    51 minutes ago
    by marky
    Sub dive system.
    Ho Peter, What gas do they use then? I was actually thinking more of Sparklets syphon soda blubs, er 'hic' ๐Ÿ˜ฎ If you want to go the gas route I suggest you look for some US model sub sites. They seem to favour gas tanks whereas in Europe the piston tank is more popular. I've been wondering for a few days why our antipodean colleagues haven't chipped in to this discussion! Reilly 4 for instance. He has at least one great sub model and has posted super videos of his underwater travels. BTW Pete, It doesn't end with just the ballast / dive tank system! If you want to keep an 'even keel' while travelling underwater the following are highly recommended. - Attitude controller (Pitch Controller), which constantly adjust dive planes to stop the boat pitching up and down, or even porpoising along the surface ๐Ÿ˜ฎ - Reverse detector. This actuates as soon as the motor reverses. It commands the pitch controller to reverse the action of the dive planes if you also want to be able to reverse while underwater. Otherwise the planes would have the opposite effect to that which is required and make the pitching worse instead of smoothing it out. Of course you can still sail and dive without these but depth control will be very difficult. You'll be constantly correcting and correcting the corrections ๐Ÿค” Just like with a dynamic diver. The Yo Yo effect! Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    1 hour ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    17 Posts
    24 Likes
    Started
    2 days ago
    by Martin555
    Latest
    1 hour ago
    by RNinMunich
    Pictures of American river boats...
    Hi all, a friend of a friend, hoping to raise a few bob for a dog rescue centre has several pictures in black and white of the lovely old American steam river boats with some descriptive paperwork. Is anyone interested in a donation in exchange for these? Cheers, Martin
    4 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Westquay ( Commander)
    General Resources
    1 Post
    0 Likes
    Started
    4 hours ago
    by Westquay

No Replies Yet
    Boat retrieval
    Balloon tyres could be the answer there Nerys๐Ÿ˜Š
    4 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง marky ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    29 Posts
    36 Likes
    Started
    2 days ago
    by Martin555
    Latest
    4 hours ago
    by marky
    futaba radio and receivers
    I don't have this system, so I can't speak from experience. But I see non-futaba receivers which are claimed to be compatible advertised. So I guess that you must be able to get such items. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/corona-r4fa-2-4ghz-fasst-compatible-receiver.html https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-gr400f-futaba-fasst-compatible-4ch-2-4ghz-ground-receiver.html https://hobbyking.com/en_us/frsky-tfr4-4ch-2-4ghz-surface-air-receiver-fasst-compatible.html If you buy from a model shop you should be able to try the receiver out first, of course. Here is a model shop's list of compatible receivers - https://www.rapidrcmodels.com/futaba-compatible-receivers-74-c.asp
    5 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง DodgyGeezer ( Midshipman)
    RC & Electrics
    2 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    1 day ago
    by samc
    Latest
    5 hours ago
    by DodgyGeezer
    Caldercraft Clyde Puffer Motor and Prop - Help Needed
    Looks like a standard 385 - its high torque - slow motor with 5 poles - just what you need for the slow scale speed of a puffer. Low current draw too - gives nice long run time. Prop normally 3 or 4 blade . Try starting with 35mm Graupner plastic - check motor for heating after a few minutes - gives you a bit of a pointer - you will have to experiment as Glynn Guest suggests - take a handful of props with you to the pond. Anywhere from 30 to 45 with different pitches. Could use a test tank outside otherwise - even a slow running motor pushes a large volume of water - the indoor test tank would tend to empty quite quickly. Better halves seem to get a bit twitchy about that. You can attach a fishing scale or similar and tether boat via it to any convenient tree etc. That will give a good indication of thrust produced - and you can quickly find out what the motor does heatwise.
    15 hours ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ redpmg ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    RC & Electrics
    4 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    10 days ago
    by juskiddin
    Latest
    15 hours ago
    by redpmg
    Motor reversing
    Hi again Peter, Here you can find the very latest rules and regs! Cheers, Doug https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/radio-spectrum-and-the-law/licence-exempt-radio-use/licence-exempt-devices/Radio-controlled-models
    1 day ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    RC & Electrics
    64 Posts
    97 Likes
    Started
    4 days ago
    by MouldBuilder
    Latest
    1 day ago
    by RNinMunich
    Visiting European Model Boat Shows
    Genau Ian ๐Ÿ˜‰ TX in right hand, Bierkrug oder Weinglas in left hand! Model boater's heaven ๐Ÿ˜Š I'm usually sat on that right angled bend under the tree at the edge of the Biergarten. Prost!
    General Resources
    6 Posts
    4 Likes
    Started
    1 day ago
    by ikseno99
    Latest
    1 day ago
    by RNinMunich
    Port/ starboard socks.
    That's extremely kind of you Nerys, thank you very much๐Ÿ˜Š A PM is on it's way to you shortly. If you have sound switched on on your 'device', PC or whatever, you should hear a SONAR Ping when it arrives. Thanks again, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Hobby Chit Chat
    9 Posts
    14 Likes
    Started
    2 days ago
    by KenThompson
    Latest
    1 day ago
    by RNinMunich
    Direction Finder
    Looks good to me Ian ๐Ÿ‘ Like an ADF searching for a navigation beacon. DG is correct, it wouldn't continuously rotate on a civilian ship using RDF for navigation purposes. I.e. looking for a specific NDB (Non Directional Beacon). On a warship in the old days it might rotate if the set was being used as a Search receiver. Nowadays the antenna for such purposes does not rotate. Instead a fixed multi-element antenna is used and the detector receiver plots the progress of the RF wavefronts across the elements. Thus deducing where the signal came from. So I reckon your setup looks pretty convincing for an older model DF set Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    2 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Building Related
    13 Posts
    5 Likes
    Started
    2 days ago
    by Elsrickle
    Latest
    2 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Mixing throttle and rudder
    Having read somewhere on this site ( I canโ€™t find it now!) that turning a 34โ€ crash tender at speed can be a problem I have been thinking about ways to Reduce the risk. The obvious way is to pilot it carefully, turning gently, or slowing before turning sharply. But that requires the pilot to be paying attention. Iโ€™m not sure my young grandson would take that care, even if I do. So, is it a good idea to mix throttle and rudder to overcome this issue. It seems to me there are two options: 1. Reduce the rudder throw based on the throttle setting. i.e. mix such that as the speed increases, the maximum rudder throw reduces. Or 2. Reduce the throttle based on the rudder demand. i.e. mix channels so that the boat automatically slows based on the rudder demand. I havenโ€™t found any reference to this on this website, which make me think it isnโ€™t a good idea, but I would be interested in any thoughts from those with much more experience than I have. Also, can these mixes be set up on an fs- i6x transmitter?
    3 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Graham93 ( Leading Seaman)
    RC & Electrics
    1 Post
    1 Like
    Started
    3 days ago
    by Graham93

No Replies Yet
    Recognise this boat ?
    Heartily agree DG๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ All too often we see queries with very little corroborative info, pics etc. The info we need to be able to help we often have to extract bit by bit๐Ÿค”. Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    3 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    3 Posts
    5 Likes
    Started
    3 days ago
    by Tall Paul
    Latest
    3 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Need to change web site address of CLUB
    I know! I tested it first ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers, Tall-ish Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    3 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Website Related
    4 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    3 days ago
    by Tall Paul
    Latest
    3 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Pond Weed
    Thanks for posting about pond weed control. Biological Control .. best seems to be Grass Carp reported to eat the weeds, we are still investigating. Chemical Control... not allowed to use herbicide as our pond is linked to the River Itchen. However we do use Barley straw extract to control algae. Mechanical Control ... motorised cutters etc are far to expensive and you still have to rake up the cut weeds. In the end throwing a rake out or placed behind roots by guy in a boat and pulling it in is the best solution for us, so far. one in the boat, two each with a rake and barrow. we cut and collected barrow fulls. We continue to use Pond Dye (see biofix and dyofix.co.uk) other shading can be obtained by planting willow trees. Weighted black polythene sheets for 6 months at a time has been suggested as has solar powered fountain or air pumping air bubbles as this reduces infestations and oxygenates the water. Regards, Tall Paul.
    3 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Tall Paul ( Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    23 Posts
    13 Likes
    Started
    1 month ago
    by Tall Paul
    Latest
    3 days ago
    by Tall Paul
    Help identifying this model boat
    Hi Norm, being as how you're in the US and I'm in Oz I reckon it is not much use me recommending a local Oz sail-maker. From what I can gather from other fora (like that? My high school Latin does get some use) in the US a pretty good maker seems to be Carr Sails http://www.carrsails.com/ I am guessing that the cost of a set of sails for your yacht would be similar to those quoted for the Bearospace 'ANNIE'. $225 may sound like a lot but, from what I can gather, his sails are pretty well at the top of the pile. Check with a local sailing club, there are heaps of people around that make their own sails as well as lesser known sail-makers. The club may be able to point you in the right direction. Unashamed plug for the Bearospace range of boats - I have no financial interest. There is a lot of info in these blogs to assist in building and making parts for semi-scale sailers : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2990671-Bearospace-Sloop-EMMA https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2550991-Bearospace-schooner-Irene https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3294855-Bearospace-Schooner-Annie I hope this can help you. Cheers from Down Under, Terry
    4 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ terrymiff ( Able Seaman)
    General Resources
    9 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    7 days ago
    by ginkgo
    Latest
    4 days ago
    by terrymiff
    Propeller direction.
    "Trading in pork bellies futures began in 1961 on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) and allowed meat packers to hedge the volatile pig market." https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/porkbellies.asp Place your bets here Gents๐Ÿ˜‰ https://www.barchart.com/futures/quotes/PBY00/overview Pass the pork belly slices and black eye peas please๐Ÿ˜› Eggs and bacon anybody? ๐Ÿ˜‹
    4 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Building Related
    28 Posts
    32 Likes
    Started
    5 days ago
    by Martin555
    Latest
    4 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Martin Westquay's Piper Cub ;-)
    Now you tell me - thought floats were more prevalent from what my pal said. He used a Beaver mostly though, DH of course - not the dam builder with big teeth ..........
    4 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ redpmg ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    For Sale/Wanted
    27 Posts
    8 Likes
    Started
    8 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Latest
    4 days ago
    by redpmg
    What could this Hull be for?
    Picked up his kit same place as I did - fellow who made them was not intending to sell them - reluctant in fact . Mine is his 3rd attempt I believe - cant check now as he is no longer with us . Think his wife persuaded him to sell them. He was experimenting with molding hulls etc. Think the last one was the one he used for himself. We do some forming with 2mm Perspex - failure rate is about 10% no matter how careful you are so understand why he made a few. The hull is about 2 mm finished size - the superstructure a lot thinner and styrene - not certain but think the hull is ABS. Very few Breede kits around - not sure you can even get a hull anymore - and the plans are no longer available from RNLI.
    4 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ redpmg ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    Building Related
    33 Posts
    18 Likes
    Started
    3 months ago
    by jelley_baby
    Latest
    4 days ago
    by redpmg
    USCG Sprinkles in Action
    Hi Commodore, As already posted in response to your Media Gallery post- "Sorry Commodore (!) That won't work ๐Ÿค” You have to put the video up on YouTube first and then post the link here. Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž " You can't upload video here directly. This is to prevent the site server getting swamped with GBs / TBs of video data. Doug
    5 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Building Related
    2 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    5 days ago
    by Commodore-H
    Latest
    5 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    PS Waverley info...
    Thanks, Marky, I'll have a butcher's at the website when I start to finish the model. Cheers, Martin
    5 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Westquay ( Commander)
    Building Related
    10 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    5 days ago
    by Westquay
    Latest
    5 days ago
    by Westquay
    Skipper and mate.
    We'll expect a full report of proceedings Ken ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰
    6 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Building Related
    22 Posts
    30 Likes
    Started
    8 days ago
    by KenThompson
    Latest
    6 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Batteries in a DX5e
    No worries mate !
    6 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ jbkiwi ( Midshipman)
    RC & Electrics
    96 Posts
    43 Likes
    Started
    12 days ago
    by Westquay
    Latest
    6 days ago
    by jbkiwi
    USCG Sprinkles in Action
    Hope this posting works. It's a short video. Too hot to go out today Rotating beacon is R/C car accessory. Radar is modified servo. Water monitor is scratch built with cheap pump from ebay. Draws water from outside boat . Turns with servo. Searchlight scratch built with ultra bright led.
    7 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ Commodore-H ( Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    Building Related
    1 Post
    0 Likes
    Started
    7 days ago
    by Commodore-H

No Replies Yet
    Video chat / Roving Reporter - "Does the site have a Youtube Channel?"
    Hi Folks, As a spin off following on from the hijacked ๐Ÿ˜Œ Batteries for DX5e thread from Martin W! If anyone has any further thoughts for a possible Video Chat link up and/or Roving Reporting from Club Events etc please feel free ("If you want to go any further it'll cost you"๐Ÿ˜‰ as the actress said to the bishop๐Ÿ˜) to add them here. Thanks. Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    7 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    Website Related
    1 Post
    0 Likes
    Started
    7 days ago
    by RNinMunich

No Replies Yet
    Turnigy A-6-10 200W Balance charger & discharger
    Not surprised Michael. Like I said I only bought it cos I have a large collection of batteries of all sorts of types and sizes and I wanted to be able to take better care of them. The Polaron stores parameters for the various types and has a USB data port to export the results to the PC. Still learning how to use that to create a Battery Data Log ๐Ÿ˜‰ You should be able to find one of the little Robbe or Graupner jobs on the Fleabay, or there's always Turnigy & C. Happy charging, cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    8 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    RC & Electrics
    6 Posts
    0 Likes
    Started
    10 days ago
    by mturpin013
    Latest
    8 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Model boat show
    Hi all, just to let you know,, Saturday 13th July. At the Cold Knap in Barry, Glamorgan,South Wales. If your in the area, drop in and have a look, bring a boat, have a sail. Runs from 10am till about 4pm. The weather looks good too.
    8 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง KenThompson ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    1 Post
    1 Like
    Started
    8 days ago
    by KenThompson

No Replies Yet
    Moronic Hydra 50 speed controller
    Iโ€™m very pleased, and grateful
    8 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Brianaro ( Petty Officer 1st Class)
    RC & Electrics
    3 Posts
    6 Likes
    Started
    8 days ago
    by Brianaro
    Latest
    8 days ago
    by Brianaro
    Sailing, model or the real thing.
    Very light gopro copy from Aldi. Slowed it only a little.
    9 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ juskiddin ( Leading Seaman)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    8 Posts
    6 Likes
    Started
    11 days ago
    by Nerys
    Latest
    9 days ago
    by juskiddin
    Alwyn Vintcent Steam Tug
    Brilliant work!
    9 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ jbkiwi ( Midshipman)
    Building Related
    6 Posts
    5 Likes
    Started
    2 months ago
    by redpmg
    Latest
    9 days ago
    by jbkiwi
    Help identifying
    Finally got the boat going and learnt a big lesson. I was using a prop shaft the telescopes and it did. With the motor running hard I think I hit some weed which caused the prop to have extra pressure on it. The shaft then collapsed in from the added pressure and I lost all propeller thrust. Could hear the motor revving and no motion. Had to be rescued by a model sailing boat!
    10 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ juskiddin ( Leading Seaman)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    9 Posts
    16 Likes
    Started
    4 months ago
    by juskiddin
    Latest
    10 days ago
    by juskiddin
    Page 1 of 117
    >>>

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info