Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (11)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > advise required
advise required
(2015 views)
teejay
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 47
26th May 2018 22:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42145

Hi all and thanks to Ron and Doug I have not forgotten about the TGY-i6 set and have looked at the suggestions from Ron. I looked at a lot of stuff it can be a bit of mine field, I have fond this at Cornwall models

Servo, Batteries, Charger & 15A ESC

This pack provides the radio control unit and all items necessary to complete an RC boat kit. Certain models may need a motor

Contents:
2-Channel transmitter Reflex Pro 3.1 2.4GHZ
5-Channel receiver,
CS-3 steering servo (3kg/cm force)
Transmitter batteries,
7.2v/2100mAh drive battery
15Amp Marine Electronic Speed Controller
Plug charger
Multi-lingual instructions
Part No: CMBRCP15
I think this may be the way for me to go as it seem to have all the things I need to learn about in the one package, I know I may have to up grade some parts but for the first timer I think it would do your opinions would be much appreciated

Attached Files - Click To View Large

kmbcsecretary
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 211
26th May 2018 23:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42146

I think the best advise is not to go mad throwing money away on equipment while your still learning to walk.
As a starter i would recommend something like a planet 5 radio or radiolink 2.4ghz and once you are up and running and getting more adventurous in your builds with more and more working features you can then think on upgrading your radio equipment to the more advanced computerised sets.
ron

Former tug nut now switched to sail because of health
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2484
27th May 2018 00:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42149

Hi TJ, we've been here before!
See your previous query and our answers in -
https://model-boats.com/forum/general-resources/40352?t=1527...
I have some experience with the TGY-i6 set recommended there and a very good 100% English manual (no bl..dy Chenglish!) so can help with the setup if you need it. See attached.
This is the German branded version I bought here in Munich where I live.
Apart from the German brand name 'Reely' it is identical to the TGY and FlySky versions. If you need any help setting it up PM me.
I think the Planet stuff and similar may disappoint you cos the display does not tell you so much about what's going on as the TGY sets do.
I have set mine up for a variety of boats / ships including my Sea Scout cabin cruiser, an H class 1936 RN destroyer and a 1936 German U-Boat type IIA. No problems 😉
Whatever you do have fun with it and welcome to the 'Nutters Community' 😉
Cheers, Doug 😎
BTW: As an Ex Pat who has lived here (Munich) for over 30 years and has worked on several versions of Fast Patrol Boats all over the world, including Lürssen Werft types, please note that the boat was called a 'Schnellboot' = Fast boat! No more😉

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 462
27th May 2018 01:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42150

I'll require advise soon as it's so long since I touched any R/X s. servos ,escs etc I've forgotten how things connect up. I don't want any magic smoke if you get me🤔 such as I bought some small J.S.T. connectors but are there adaptors to couple up to standard sizes? Are Sanwa rx's a different polarity to say Graupner,Futaba. Same goes for relays and B.E.C.s . I'll need simple circuit diagrams and all sorts of stuff. Sent in hard copy if possible with written/printed explanations. In colour would be the icing on the cake. Trouble is I'm as thick as the proverbial brick 🤓 Not just yet as I'm still housebound. I have some stuff already joined up that I can follow for some guidance at first at least. Anyone still up take a look at the lovely moon "Full" or close to it.

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th May 2018 03:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42152

Teejay What you need to think about re buying gear is reliability. Almost every guy on here will have their own ideas regarding what to buy and or stories of tragedies with the "wrong"equipment they bought. However for the most part you will get good advise. I advise you to read as many reviews of equipment as you can to give you at least some idea of what you may need. Sometimes good"new" equipment can be found cheaply on E Bay/ Amazon that you can read reviews on Which can give you some idea about S/H stuff.Also keep an eye on stuff for sale on forum sites for sale sections. Many a bargain can be found on these sites. Also join a club or visit one from time to time and talk to members who will on the whole be only too willing to advise you. Good luck I am in a similar position as I'm returning to the hobby after over 40 yrs away. At least I've "Been There" so not a complete novice but near enough. Good luck. John O/T ( onetenor)👍😊

teejay
(Commander)

27th May 2018 17:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42173

Hi all and thanks to Ron and Doug I have not forgotten about the TGY-i6 set and have looked at the suggestions from Ron. I looked at a lot of stuff it can be a bit of mine field, I have fond this at Cornwall models Servo, Batteries, Charger & 15A ESC This pack provides the radio control unit and all items necessary to complete an RC boat kit. Certain models may need a motor Contents: 2-Channel transmitter Reflex Pro 3.1 2.4GHZ 5-Channel receiver, CS-3 steering servo (3kg/cm force) Transmitter batteries, 7.2v/2100mAh drive battery 15Amp Marine Electronic Speed Controller Plug charger Multi-lingual instructions Part No: CMBRCP15 I think this may be the way for me to go as it seem to have all the things I need to learn about in the one package, I know I may have to up grade some parts but for the first timer I think it would do your opinions would be much appreciated

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th May 2018 22:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42179

Hi TJ, pic is not very clear (small web pics get blown up by the site🤔)
Can you post a link to the site where you found this stuff?
At least I can make out that it's from Carson, which is a reputable company so I guess the kit will be fine. I just wonder if you might find a 2 channel TX too restricting; e.g. if you later want to add remote controlled lights or sound etc!? However, if the price is right ...😉
Bon chance mon ami👍 Ciao, Doug 😎

teejay
(Commander)

27th May 2018 23:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42188

Hi RNinMunich here is the url https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Carson_Radio_C... and thanks for the help I do intent to progress further but at this time I want to get my head round the basic Rc stuff but I will be looking at the stuff that you and Ron have recommended for the D2763 RTTL as I was thinking of lights for this including one as an alders lamp signalling Morse code

teejay
(Commander)

27th May 2018 23:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42190

my mistake ie typing

teejay
(Commander)

27th May 2018 23:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42191

Hi all here is the url you asked for Doug
https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Carson_Radio_C... and thanks again for the suggestions .I do intent to look at these for the RTTL D2763 and I want to put lights and radar and also a light as an alders lamp but I want to get my head around the RC basics first

kmbcsecretary
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 211
27th May 2018 23:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42192

Just to throw a little spanner in the works teejay if your thinking of adding auxiliary's to your boats later as you progress, I use the turnigy 9x radio from hobbyking now and for the money mate I can't fault the radio and the receiver's are cheap and 10 model memory .
Ron

Former tug nut now switched to sail because of health
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th May 2018 23:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42193

Hi TJ, looks OK for a basic starter kit👍
Ron's right I'm also still slightly concerned you might quickly get bored with just throttle and rudder 😲
9X is perhaps overkill at this stage! I use the TGY-i6 for almost everything (except my sub cos 2.4Gig don't like diving!). I bought a bundle of 6ch receivers to go with it for around 8 quid a chunk so I can fit out several models. My expensive Spektrum Dx6 is now gathering dust on the shelf 🤔
Re: Aldiss signal lamp: Have a look at this from component Shop (Action Electronics), description attached. I just bought one to go on my 1936 H class 1:72 destroyer 😉 along with a SONAR pinger!
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/p49-morse-aldis-sounder-flas...
Happy building, and even happier sailing, cheers Doug 😎
PS: I don't waste a channel on radar. On my destroyer it is simply switched on by a microswitch underneath 'B' gun turret. Drive is a modified servo fed by a 1.5V alkaline 'C' cell. Lasts for years 😁

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th May 2018 23:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42194

Hi John (O/T),
I also still have an ancient Sanwa TX (35Megs). Ca 35 years old (NO CE certificate 😁) and still goin' strong 😁 Might use it on my Catalina.
There IS a polarity difference!!! Will PM you some details, to avoid hijacking TJ's thread 😉
Cheers, Doug 😎
PS: Beautiful full moon here in Munich tonight 👍

teejay
(Commander)

28th May 2018 00:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42195

Hi all sorry about the spanner I don't intent the same set for the other boat but I do want to progress later and my son as asked for the schenllboot after I get it finished so I will be buying another set anyway . Sorry for the spanner hope it did not hurt to much, still interested in all that you have to say , good work on the light flasher unit I have taken the url and it will be included in the D boat ,thanks to all for the advice all is much help. I don't mind about any hijacking (all is learning)

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th May 2018 00:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42198

That's what we're all here for TJ👍
We are ALL still learning from what other members are up to and HOW!
Main thing, enjoy it 😊. Trust we could help to get you off to a good start.
All the best, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th May 2018 01:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42200

OK. Thanks TJ👍
John, the old Sanwa receivers and servos have the + and - supply leads reversed as compared with all modern stuff, JR/Futaba etc!!
That means that they have the negative in the middle of the plug and the positive on the outside, at the edge of the RX case!
All modern kit has positive in the centre and negative at the outside, edge of the RX case!! Beware, I learned the hard way 😡
Tell us what you want to do and maybe we can help with wiring diagrams etc. PM me the details 👍 Cheers, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th May 2018 11:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42210

Hi John, PS to SANWA polarity. Their current range now seems to follow the same convention as Graupner and co. See attached pic, you can just make out the S+- symbols.
+ in the middle and - on the outside edge.
Cheers Doug 😎

AllenA
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 96
29th May 2018 14:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42260

Hi Teejay, I have a couple of Carson Reflex sets and they are as good as gold. The only problem is the cost of the receiver. I eventually changed to the TGY i6 from which I can control 20 models with receivers a third of the cost of Carsons. Hope the info helps. Allen

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th May 2018 14:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42261

Good one Allen, 👍 that was my impression as well. The RXs are cheap enough to buy a batch to fit out various models. So far I have used 4 of the available model memories 😉
Anyone want to buy a Spektrum DX6 with 6 RXS?? 🤔 Going cheep cheep!
Cheers, Doug 😎

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Jun 2018 21:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42354

The mismatch of a 2 channel Tx to a 5 ch Rx seems a bit odd and somewhat limiting . I would go for a 3ch minimum.Search a bit more is my advise.👍