Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2018: 3 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (33)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Steep angled rudder shafts
Steep angled rudder shafts
(466 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 568
3rd Jun 2018 16:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42382

Hi all,
I have a problem actuating the rudder shaft on Vanity. It sits at a very steep angle, so the T bar on top is going as much up and down as back and forwards, so what can anyone suggest for operating the thing? I have snakes, a la model aircraft, but I'm thinking only a cable section will do it, one push, one pull at the rudder end. I think the variation of path is too much for a ball joint. Otherwise a universal joint is all I can come up with, to go on the end of the rudder shaft.

Cheers,
Martin

kmbcsecretary
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 210
3rd Jun 2018 17:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42383

It sounds like cable is your only option Martin, the angle on the mascotte has a steepish angle but all I did was purchase a plastic tiller arm and stick it in boiling water to soften it up so I could twist the arms to make them parallel once fitted but if yours is that steep I don't think this would work on yours.

Former tug nut now switched to sail because of health
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 326
3rd Jun 2018 22:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42395

Cables and pulley(s) would likely be the way to go as per some full size systems. The cables running from servo arms out to Port and Starboard and running over pulleys then down to stern and over two more pulleys under the gunwales then to rudder arms. Using more pulleys as required. The servo arms being set fore and aft and swivel pulleys to change direction. I can't draw it on here but it is quite logical to follow. Good luck👍

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Jun 2018 22:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42401

Ron, there is nowhere near enough space for that and also the twisted arms would still move through a strange path. I have snakes, but they don't seem to work as well as the man suggested. So, I've ordered a universal joint in steel which fits a 4mm shaft. I will take a short bit of 4mm out of the top on which will be the arm I've made, but that will need a bearing (just thought of that as I typed) otherwise it will flop about all over the place. Damn! More space I haven't got. Looks like the pulley idea might be the only way of working it, but getting access to those pulleys would be very awkward. I have very little space back there. We're in the lazarette and that was bend double territory on the real boat. The only other way would be to actuate the tiller on deck, once again with pulleys. I'm making the tiller currently. I may have to look into a deck operated system, with the line coming out of the middle of the deck and then via a pulley on either bulwark.

Cheers,
Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Jun 2018 22:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42402

If you look at the avatar, you'll see how steep the stern post is. In fact it's a little different, but not much so I have only a tiny amount of space in the stern.

Cheers,
Martin

kmbcsecretary
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 210
3rd Jun 2018 23:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42408

looking at the angles there martin i think you may be better of with the external rudder control if space is that limited.
cheers
Ron

Former tug nut now switched to sail because of health
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 326
4th Jun 2018 02:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42413

Bring it out like the old auto steering geared quadrant with the pulley combined with or connected to a spur gear engaged with the teeth on the quadrant.Two small swiveling/self aligning pulleys under the deck to allow both sides of the wires/cords to emerge through fairleads and take 2 turns round the pulley.Make sure the pulleys have deep grooves and close fitting shields or even totally enclosed to avoid the cord jumping off. The problem is keeping the gears engaged at the sharp angles involved.Perhaps some sort of flap hinge can be incorporated to allow the required movement

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jun 2018 13:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42418

Onetenor, you are very kind to describe your solution, but without a diagram I have no idea what you mean. I've only used a rudder only 575 yacht before, so all this is new to me.
I'm thinking it will have to be something attached to the outside proper tiller. Unless I can squeeze in the universal joint and a bearing to hold it steady.
I can only really do anything at the weekend, which is why it has taken a long time.

Cheers,
Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jun 2018 15:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42423

Well, I don't know how the original tiller could look like it did on deck, but it don't work on the model! I've made a tiller and when it's put on top of the rudder shaft it pokes skywards like Patrick Moore's telescope!
I shall incorporate the universal joint and then use the tiller with a block under it with cords going below to the snakes from the servo. Just waiting for the Universal to arrive from ebay now.

Martin