Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
September 2018: 12 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 15 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (19)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > What do you do when...
What do you do when...
(1298 views)
Steve-Teresa
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 12
20th Jun 2018 15:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42925

Its possible we have all had this issue.. boat in the middle of the pond not working, I used one of the other boats I have to retrieve it, not very easy.. I am thinking of building a rescue vessel, square(ish) front, twin prop's and rudders tucked out the way for reversing and with soft rubber edging all around it to push or even guide (if damaged rudder) any boat back to shore.. or is this going a bit far?.. your thoughts or what you do when or if this happens when your out on the pond?

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 455
20th Jun 2018 16:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42927

Maybe something like this!
https://youtu.be/l9L9QUd7PFM
Or I've heard of plastic tubing being use as well!
Something like this!
https://youtu.be/MZBOcYYnm1A

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Steve-Teresa
(Sub-Lieutenant)

20th Jun 2018 16:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42928

a couple of good idea's.. I like the first one better, but something along those lines is what I have in mind,

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 683
20th Jun 2018 16:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42930

Hmm, why is that knob wearing silly gloves?

Martin

kmbcsecretary
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 211
20th Jun 2018 17:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42931

Couldn't have said it better myself Martin , we do have a 2 seater rescue boat that we use for our meetings but generally we use one of the members tug boats to do the rescue.
Ron

Former tug nut now switched to sail because of health
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2229
20th Jun 2018 19:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42933

Second one looks like French hotel room plumbing on it's day off 😁

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 683
20th Jun 2018 22:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42940

I do think the rescue dinghy is the best idea, but of course that is a club thing, organisationally and financially.
I guess the OP wants to assure himself he can rescue his own boat with something suitable when it's only him on the water. Fair enough. A tug is a nice idea IF you can get a tow line aboard the stricken vessel, so I suppose the all embracing lobster claw style has potential. A floating Brabham BT 34 comes to mind.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jun 2018 23:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42942

I've been pondering a neodymium magnet on a derrick on the stern of my Southampton tug and steel plates set into the foredecks of my boat and ships! Still pondering, reeling in with a winch is easy, running out the cable to drop the magnet down onto the boat is causing me mechanical headaches though. 😡 Maybe just raising and lowering a suitable boom would be easier!? Any ideas folks, especially amongst you winch using sailors?

First time my destroyer conked out I swam out 'in me knickers' to rescue it cos the wind was pushing it towards the lake fountains. It's NOT a flying boat! Got a round of applause and some interesting suggestions from some of the er 'ladies' present 😲😉
Second time we had flat calm on a balmy summer evening and she started very slowly drifting home.
So as it was early evening we went to the lakeside restaurant terrace where I could enjoy a steak and a glass or two while keeping an eye on her progress. Hard life ain't it 😉
Whatever, I'm sure there's a more elegant solution than more plumbing than there is in my bathroom! I even once used my sharp pointed destroyer to push a failed plastic RTR so called speed boat home. Took a lot of manoeuvring with a long thin destroyer but we made it.
Once I managed to get it lined up and close enough to shore a good shove with all ahead flank then full astern let it run up the shore.
Was good helmsmanship practise.
A simple shaped rubber block I could hang over the bow would have made it much easier!
Cheers all, don't get stuck! Doug 😎
PS One other 'Schnapps idea' as they might call it here in Bavaria, I've been playing with for a while is a model of the 'Big Lifter'.
It's a conveyor ship like a big powered dry dock. To take on the load she floods huge tanks and sinks herself😲 slides under the load, pumps the water out again and up she comes load an' all! Would be fun wouldn't it?😉 All the bridge and accommodation superstructure and engine rooms are in the stern. At the bow there are only two tall towers for guidance when taking on the load. The rest is just flat loading deck. Sounds simple don' it 😁 an' a lot more fun than half the plumbing dept. of B&Q. 👍
PPS: I also tried the grab claw idea of Martin's. A sort of 4 prong grappling hook. As he rightly said the first snag is to get the line aboard the stricken vessel in the first place.
I tried it with one of the depth charge derricks on the stern of my destroyer. Reeling in - fine. Getting the line out ? Another kettle of fish. I considered a spring-loaded system to fire the line out IF I could make the winch free run to pay out!
Got no further than considering (the spring launcher I still have) before I completely stripped out the destroyer for a total refit.
Thinks, thinks, thinks ......

canabus
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 124
21st Jun 2018 05:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42946

Hi All
This is my idea which fits on a number of boats.
Canabus

Attached Files - Click To View Large

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 265
21st Jun 2018 10:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42949

does this come with a natty pair of gloves as per previous video or do yo have to supply your own a.Cheers Marky

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 380
24th Jun 2018 19:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43070

Easy Doug. Ever heard of a pawl and gear. Have a free running motor and gear wheel with enough weight on the line to pull the line off the pulley if the pawl is lifted and no power to the motor. the weight will pull off line from a decent diameter drum and the motor turning backwards.Line pays out with the magnet's weight.Once contact is made the pawl( spring loaded ) is released after enough length of towline is achieved. This re-engages the pawl and stops the motor and drum turning. Power then applied to motor again as needed to recover line. Gear ratio may need playing with for best results. Suggest 2:1 for starters. likewise drum diameter for best results. Get the idea? A derrick would be needed for reach of course.
P.S.I don't get the "it's not a flying boat " bit though.Why would we imagine it was?😜😋🤔👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 23:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43108

Evenin' John, yes I do understand the pawl concept👍
problem is the weight😲 The magnets are very light. I even tried casting a lump of lead on top of it. nix!
I came to the conclusion I needed something like a tin o' baked beans to weight the line 🤔
Still fiddlin'. Hope never dies😉
Re 'Flying boat: if my destroyer had gone into the powerful fountains it would have been propelled up to about 60 feet at least 😭

Kipper
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 26
24th Jun 2018 23:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43113

I built a tug just for the purpose of rescuing, powered vessels are no problem at all, but I rescue more yachts than anything else.
Have rescued everything from a Micro Magic to a Marblehead.

Here's a pic of my tug bringing home an RG65, sticky rubber tyres on the side help. 😁

deepdiver
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 55
25th Jun 2018 08:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43121

Had a look at the second vid , could it be a case of Elf and Safe.??

Getting my coat😊😊

Steve-Teresa
(Sub-Lieutenant)

25th Jun 2018 12:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43128

I think I have found what I think is what I am looking for, a Springer push tug...

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 455
25th Jun 2018 15:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43132

It looks like a fun project!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Steve-Teresa
(Sub-Lieutenant)

1st Jul 2018 13:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43374

I must admit I found some "plane's" online followed then for the shape and... well I am not convinced about it ... yet...

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 380
2nd Jul 2018 07:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43380

Morning Doug Yes gotcha. I was thinking heavy magnet like a speaker magnet. OR arrange a relay with a double throw switch to reverse the current and hence the motor. Piece of P-ss for you mate.Just have enough weight to avoid tangles as you strip the line from the reel and fine synthetic string better than fishing line. It is less likely to be pinched in the roll on the drum. Also more scale.You may want a speed controller or esc perhaps. Or just rely on the gear ratio. An old brushed motor would do I think with about 4volts.You may still need a pawl to prevent the load stripping line when power is off the motor. I hope I tickled your little grey cells mon ami. Bon chance👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Jul 2018 10:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43382

Indeed you have John👍
if I get time today I'll dig out the winch I used for the trials on my destroyer, only operational boat at the time! Trouble with a destroyer - the stern is so low you can't reach the deck of most boats😲
I had also built a reversible ESC for the winch, a hefty commercial job with about a 385 motor I think. Ran on 6V.
Now I have the Southampton tug I was thinking of a much higher derrick, or A frame, on the stern!? Have some 0.5mm nylon line for the tow line, what do you think?
As an electronic engineer I sometimes need help with the mechanicals - which others seem to find sooooo easy 😲
Have right now a mechanical problem to solve on my Gina 2 fish cutter - more on that in the Blog. Cheers, Doug 😎

boaty
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 52
7th Jul 2018 22:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43548

I have had this problem several times myself especially with fast electrics when they "flip" over. At present I take my old Aerokits Sea Commander with me to use as a rescue boat but there is always some element of difficulty when trying to line it up with the upturned craft.

How you deal with it depends on the size of your boating lake.
On small ones it is possible to have a vertical pole mounted on the bank with a long length of string attached to it. You then roll out the string and walk round until the string makes contact with your boat then slowly walk back bringing the boat to the side.

Building a rescue craft like you describe is perfectly normal as I have seen them from time to time and also you see them on You Tube when retrieving usually (you guess it), a fast electric in distress.

Good luck with your project and you can also disguise your "rescue boat" to look like a pusher tug etc.😁

Dave Keech
Steve-Teresa
(Sub-Lieutenant)

10th Jul 2018 18:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43641

boaty... something that hasn't occurred to me and it came to mind due to what you have mentioned, there are fishing rod's (or fishing pole's) that extend to quite some distance, I think the idea is so you don't disturb the fish from casting out...