Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 9 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (98)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > PROPELLERS
PROPELLERS
(325 views)
RHBaker
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 111
26th Jun 2018 13:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43160

Thinking of trying to make my own brass propellers. Has anybody any suggestions on the best construction techniques?

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 453
26th Jun 2018 15:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43167

In my opinio not worth the hassle👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2416
26th Jun 2018 16:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43173

Hi Rowen, I agree with John 👍
Unless you have your own brass foundry the best we can do is turn the hub on a lathe, prefabricate the blades (making sure that they are identical form and weights!), cutting / milling slots into the hub and then solder - which is weakpoint Number 1! Then wonder why it runs rough and cavitates cos it's outa balance and uneven pitch😡
I suggest you leave it to the pros like Rabeosch who for about 15 bucks or so will give you a robust cast, balanced and highly polished scale or sports finished article.
Weigh up the hours you will spend fiddlin' about against the price of a decent pro job. Especially if you need two or three the same for one boat.
Only time I fiddle about is when I need small scale props for my plastic magic projects 1/72 down to 1/350! e.g. 4 for a carrier like Ark Royal or Enterprise at 1/350. There ain't nowt that small on the market.
Cheers Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 795
26th Jun 2018 16:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43175

Yup, listen to the gents. Buy em in. And believe me I'm a tight arse AND I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself in a jig by silver (hard) soldering, but I wouldn't bother. Not when Prop Shop do such a good job in manganese bronze. When I scratchbuilt Rivas for a living I only bought the props, L&R hand and the glasses in the cocktail cabinets. I can't make glass, dammit.

Cheers,
Martin

RHBaker
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 111
26th Jun 2018 17:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43177

Thanks all.
Had rather suspected it was not worthwhile, but you have confirmed it.
Rowen