Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 2 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (6)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Inspiration for beautiful boat builders ;-)
Inspiration for beautiful boat builders ;-)
(434 views)
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2076
23rd Jul 2018 01:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44077

Enjoy drooling, cheers, Doug 😎
(The boats I mean, not necessarily the builders😁)

https://www.pinterest.de/pin/1618549849892741/?utm_campaign=...

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
mturpin013
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 48
23rd Jul 2018 20:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44096

I think I have one of these in the basement somewhere, Ill try and did it out - (I wish)

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 592
24th Jul 2018 09:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44117

Not enough woodies in the model boat world. Just loads of kit built Dumas Chris Crafts and Amati Rivas with the Timossi Hydro (NOT Ferrari) thrown in.
When you consider how many gorgeous woodies of every kind there are and have been that seems to say loud and clear that people won't/can't/don't make anything from scratch any more. Many woodies could be made by adapting the kits made by various companies or the plans sets sold by the Rowell family.
Ditchburn, Minet-Shields, Peterborough, Hackercraft, Dodge, Chris Craft, Greavette, Gar Wood, Lyman, Century, Seabird, Richardson.....gentleman's racers, racers, runabouts, sedans, commuters, utilities. So many gorgeous chrome detailed varnished mahogany hot rods, yet so few are ever modelled. I have dozens of plans, so they are available.

Very strange.

Martin

canabus
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 123
24th Jul 2018 12:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44118

HI Westquay
I am a scratch builder, so this is my 1920 SK&G Gentleman's Runabout with the 3639-1100kv brushless motor under the dash. Runs a 3S 3700mah Lipo battery on a 37mm 3 blade prop.
On the first the driver left his mate standing at the pub and nick off with a bit of skirt !!!
Canabus

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 13:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44121

Generalising again Martin? Dangerous 😲
Canabus is just one example of the excellent scratch builders here.
Robbob is another magnificent example.
To name but two!
Also, many of us, Colin-H for one, me for two😉, are heavily into Renovations, usually without even plans, so that is also like scratch building. Often more fiddly than a new build. Like my Gina 2 cutter for instance.
BTW: I've often wondered why your Boat Harbour is empty!?
Any pics available?
Cheers, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 13:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44122

Doug, I was only talking about woodies as they were what the OP showed. So not really a generalisation. 2 swallows do not a Summer make, as they say.

I don't really understand the boat harbour thing. Yes, I have pictures.

I too love restorations. I just finished 7 total restorations of early (50 year old) Monogram slot car bodyshells. And I have 2 ancient Marinecraft hulls for which various repairs were necessary. One, I have made a very Ditchburnish gent's racer superstructure for, as I had no details of what it was originally like.

Canabus, could you explain S,K&G? I keep seeing it, but have no idea what it is.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 14:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44125

".... that people won't/can't/don't make anything from scratch any more." looked pretty 'general' to me Martin, and I guess most, if not all, others here.
Whatever, cheers, Doug 😎
PS I did say "To name but two" there are many others here.
There's a grain of truth though in what you say; in this RTR/ARTR age 🤔

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 16:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44130

Doug, I think compared with how it was relatively recently, there are, for argument's sakes almost no real scratchbuilders any more. I mean take, or preferably make a drawing and, using stock materials, make a model of something for which there are no kits.
And there, the grain of truth is already branching out into a full tree. And that ain't gonna get any better when your own grandchildren, who have grown up watching you make stuff still can't conceive of working at a bench to make something they want, because they can't use their 'phone.
I feel sorry for them on one hand and on the other I don't give a shit because I won't be around to see their despair when the power runs out and they wish they'd listened. My two twin granddaughters believe that a portable charger will always be able to charge their 'phones, wherever they are. Common sense has not even taught them to question where IT gets its power. OK, their education so far has been woeful and finally is improving now they've changed schools, but really, should that be necessary in the modern age?

But that's a different topic altogether.

On a better note, I have finally heard from someone local who wants to meet up for a coffee and a natter to discuss running model boats on the local river, a calm and canalised thing with almost no flow and a bridge to get both sides.

Martin

mturpin013
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 48
24th Jul 2018 17:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44134

I used to scratch build aircraft 50 years ago and thought a kit might just ease me back to modeling (sorry Martin) however I'm doing a scratch build along side my crash tender, its actually a kit but needs a lot of mods as the plans are not as good as they should be so is near enough scratch.
Can anybody tell me the difference between scratch and kit building? I think that a lot of scratch builds and kit builds may not be built to a "production standard" however they are built to the best of the builders ability, conversely there are boats (both kit & scratch) on this website that are built to exceptional standards with kits being modified from plan, I've never seen two "same models" that are the same. Each to their own.
Any chance you could share your woody plans Martin?

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 17:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44139

Mike, to me scratch building is just that. You start with bugger all and end up with a model boat. If you start with a kit, you're kit building and if you have to modify it to correct it you're kit-bashing. All perfectly valid, especially if you are using scratchbuilding skills to make a good job of a kit, as I had to do when a client asked me to make up an Amati Riva kit. Biggest pile of crap I ever opened the lid on. Having already built two Rivas from a pile of plywood, a plank of pear and a set of stolen Riva works drawings I was able to kit-bash the garbage into something I could deliver, but never again!
I wouldn't know how to share plans, but have em all here if you can inform me how. I have Gary Griswold plans...useful, but crap. You will be correcting the build as you go along, but it's no big deal, just time consuming and a bloody nuisance! I have also a pile (roll) of drawings from The Rudder magazine, an American publication from the 20s. These are of real craft, not models, but that's irrelevant, really, when sections are given.
Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 18:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44145

Yes Martin I agree we are a dying breed in this Virtual Reality Throw Away Rush rush world.
But also please don't forget that you are a professional model builder with decades of experience.

BTW: my 1/72 HMS Hotspur was absolutely scratch built.
My first ever ship model, I was about 13/14 when I started it, with extremely basic hand tools. Kits out of the question and there weren't nuffink like her around anyway.
Built to plans drawn up by me on foolscap paper from measurements taken from an Airfix 1/600 kit with a plastic micrometer and scaled up with a slide rule!! Remember them!? Had just started technical drawing at school, very handy.
My Type IA submarine, built 30 odd years ago, was a Krick 'kit'! Ha Ha! 4 20mm planks of wood for the hull, a big lump of steel bar for the keel, crude half shell vac-formed tower, and a bag of assorted brass rod and tubing for various fittings. Some brass sheet for the dive planes.
'Thanks for the cash the rest is up to you' sort of deal!
A visit to the Deutsches Museum showed up many 'simplifications' in the Krick plan so all the corrections were 'scratch' as well. Notably-
Correct hull shape, correct rudder assemblies with skegs, railings, net cutters, flooding slots, wintergarden etc etc.

Looks like Gina 2 is going to be a scratch rebuild from the gunn'l up as well.

Actually I just thought my post might create a little wonderment and some Oohs and Aaahs, not loose off such a debate. I'll know better next time.
Now back to Pete's lighting.
Ciao, Doug

hammer
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 72
24th Jul 2018 19:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44147

The wall of my work shop. 4 scratch builds & Totnes Castle on work bench. I have 4 others upstairs. 1 sold to a pub & 2 in museums. Oh yes & 1 kit, can I go on the list of scratch builders please.

Don't be shy just reply
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 19:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44148

Nice, Way to go Hammer 👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 19:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44149

Hi Mike,
If you find one in the basement can I come and have ride please???? 😊

Delboy
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 29
24th Jul 2018 19:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44150

Hi Doug,
A phenomenal place, the Deutche Museum. I visited it when I was working in Munich back in '87/'88.

I agree with the views on scratch building. It's the difference between Model Making and model assembly.

Although, I have to say that, although my 3D printing has been poo-pooed in this forum as non-traditional - is anybody out there still using horse-hoof glue and bamboo strip - most of the stuff I print is self designed.

All the hulls I have built have been hand built. I do have one kit with a moulded hull - a Graupner Optimist- it's been in the garage attic unfinished since 1993. I must get round to it one day. But before that, there's this Ferret plan in the MB mag. That looks interesting.....

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 19:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44152

'87/'88? I was here then as well, since Oct. '85.
Where were you working?
I don't ppo poo 3D printing. I have to admit that I've had a 3D printer for 2 years now and haven't even calibrated it yet 🤔
Haven't had a real need that drove me to it yet, will come eventually I hope.
Cheers, Doug 😎

Delboy
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 29
24th Jul 2018 20:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44155

I was working on a contract for Digital Equipment Corp at Unterfoering and was staying at the other end of town at Westkreuz (Gaestehaus im Forum).

I've had the Ultimaker for 2 or 3 years now. It's great for making the little things. Ship's wheel - 6 hours by hand, 1 hour on the printer. Design it once, print as many as you need. Bits and bollards, fairleads, funnels, ventilators - not cheap from the shop (if they have any) pennies on the printer.

Best investment ever.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 20:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44157

Gotcha! I'm at the other end of town in Ramersdorf near the Ostpark, where my sailing lake is, complete with Biergarten and terrace restaurant 😊
Unterföhring I know, that's where my home bowling alley is, Dream Bowl Palace! Built about 10 years ago, biggest in Europe now with 52 lanes.

Worked here for Rohde & Schwarz for 32 years on Naval Communication Systems.

Hmm, will have to have another look at the printer, and make some space to be able to use it! 😲 Cheers, Doug

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 20:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44158

Yep, the miniaturist, Lloyd McCaffery, uses hide glue and bamboo sticks on his models....for which he gets up to 5 figure sums from collectors!

Martin