Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2018: 4 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 3 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (11)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Lifeboat plans
Lifeboat plans
(240 views)
Avo
(Apprentice)

Forum Posts: 1
26th Jul 2018 12:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44205

Hi does anybody know where I can acquire plans to build a RNLI lifeboat Atlantic 21 and a reasonable priced outboard motor Thank you

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 592
26th Jul 2018 16:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44211

Hobbyking do a nice brushless outboard, which, if you're not ready for the whole thing, comes without a motor, so you can set up and then choose a smallish motor. It's very nicely made with a CNC leg and very thin GRP cover. I think mine was £17 without the motor which is about 7 quid from them, but their prices change a lot and often. The 152VO boys know all about outboards. It's their very raison d'etre.
Can't help with the lifeboat. I always give to the charity, but have no interest in them as models.

Try this and get immediately hooked!:-http://www.152vo.de/

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2074
26th Jul 2018 17:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44213

Geschmacksachse Martin 😉

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2018 17:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44219

Of course, Doug, but you have to admit the mass line-ups look bloody realistic. I have 2 Spitfires in build and have even found a couple of dollies to drive them. And, I bought a HobbyKing o'b without motor. So info on installing a brushless will be required once the installation begins. I' couldn't leave the o/b alone, so I had to turn it into a Godiva 40 as built by Coventry Climax. Not much current news but their forum is still going up to date. I very much doubt that any English have taken it up yet. No evidence of it on the forum.
Of course, whilst there are a few (rather expensive) kits, most are scratchbuilt and very nicely too. That's what I like about 152 vo.

Martin
The almost legendary Coventry Climax powered Godiva 40.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2018 18:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44222

Agreed Martin, Superb, great workmanship which I can admire, but I still won't get hooked.😉
Too many other irons in the fire already.
Spitfires? Supermarine or ...?
Dollies to me are the ground support carts with batteries etc.
I only have a 'toy' o/b, came with a toy inflatable. Bought it JFF (about €10 I think) to see if I could turn it into an RC RHIB! 😁
Doug

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2018 18:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44224

Spitfires in this case are kneeler o/b powered vintage race boats. I thought I had 2 on the go, one for me and one for someone else, but I just found one! Oh well, one's enough. The dollies are needed to look like they're driving these things. They accept 1/6th scale dollies and I even have a suit of clothes bought off ebay for him!
I bought an outboard motor from Hobbyking without fitted motor for bugger all, but now see that the same thing is £45 quid without brushless, which needs to be a 28mm watercooled inrunner. I'm going to need one of the those to fit the shaft and all that, but can only find one for 31 quid. It seems HK have been upping their prices lately!
Do you have any reccomendations for where to get such an animal a little cheaper? I need the motor, I now realise, to build the dummy Godiva casing round it.

It's supposed to be around 2300Kv, but the only ones HK have are more. Is that very important?

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2018 19:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44226

Aha! THAT sort of dolly!
Why does it need to be a brushless?
The kV rating means 1000 rpm per volt! So, yes it do make a bit o' difference! HK do have 'smaller' motors, I bought an 1100kV version from them for my Sea Scout.
Unless you want to go racing surely a decent brushed motor would do, without the cooling complications.
Cheers, Doug

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2018 20:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44232

Doug, the outboards are made to take a 28mm brushless. There's an angled pre-drilled plate comes with it, to which I assume a 28mm brushless screws. They tend to use 2S LiPos on their boats with 23-2800KV, so about 18,5oo revs or a bit more. Can a brushed motor do that? I have a speed 400 from an aeroplane. Not sure what the shaft diameter is. I want it to go well, although, no I won't be racing it. As far as I know nobody does 152VO in England.
I just need to fit a usable motor that I can build the Godiva casing round it.
I don't want to HAVE to spend 30 quid on a motor, when I have one here, but I don't know what the performance would be.

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2018 20:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44234

Hehe, managed to find a 28mm brushless for 8 quid. Needs a wrap of ally tube as watercooling, but that's easy. But I will see if the 400 fits. Can't go wrong at 8 quid, although I need a Brushless ESC and I know nothing about them at all.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2018 21:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44235

What are the motor specs Martin?
Which one is it?
PS suggest you start a new thread!
We've digressed 'a little' from Lifeboat Plans!

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2018 21:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44241

As my ex Father-in-law would have said, Bugger thassa rum un. soo we heff, in his best Nahfk accent.

Sorry OP. I'm afraid the HK outboard set as they call it is now 60 quid or thereabouts, but it would make your lifeboat go very well indeed!

Martin